Next Year's Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Next Year's Team

Post by triplec2195 »

Unreal the finagling never ends. Where there's a will there will always be a way!
Polito

Post by Polito »

On paper, next year is going to be a disaster. This staff has done a very poor job developing any bench or up and coming talent. Next to no one to be truly excited about. KJ can be a star, maybe a little hope for Farmer and Sunday, but other than that this roster is very poor. And I'm sorry to say so bluntly, but the reality in today's game is a number of these kids need to be processed out - this roster needs a bit of an overhaul.

That said, NIL and transfer portal changes all. Yes, the portal taketh, but the portal also giveth. Sure, HU can't compete with the SEC in NIL, but they can absolutely find some money to pay a talented guard - and at this level, esp in basketball, you only really need one stud to make you a winner. If you put together a strong supporting cast, then you can do something.

This isn't football where it takes a handful to a dozen studs to make you a champ. One guy who's an actual winner can return HU to the top. And there is NO reason whatsoever this school and the Turnpike NIL cannot find enough money to land a baller. It'll take 200k. And you can't look at that through your personal lens, you have to look at it through the lens of '24 in college sports - that's nothing, a drop in the bucket for ANY D1 program.

Perhaps even to keep Dubar for one more. It's not likely at all, I've already chalked him up as gone, but if they can find enough to set him at ease and Speedy works his relationship magic, it's possible - that would be the biggest recruiting win in Speedy's short HC career, easily.

If not, he'll need to go out there and grab a big at the proper level, and find the next HU great at Guard U. This program still needs dogs, and guys that aren't all quiet. Can't have an entire team of lead by example - somebody needs to command the unit with strength.

For the love of all, if this program wants to dance, FIND A TRUE LEADER that can open his mouth and back it up.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Amare Marshall averaging 17+ for UAlbany and David Green 15+ for Rhode Island. This is killing me. How did that happen?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:55 pm Amare Marshall averaging 17+ for UAlbany and David Green 15+ for Rhode Island. This is killing me. How did that happen?
Look David Green has had a very lackluster college career. Kudos to him if he's now doing well. Amare Marshall is a different story and would love to know how that went down??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Well neither are in our program so let's focus on WHAT WE NEED TO DO FOR NEXT YEAR....we need just about everthing; bigs, scorers and dare I say DEPTH.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID80 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:04 am Well neither are in our program so let's focus on WHAT WE NEED TO DO FOR NEXT YEAR....we need just about everthing; bigs, scorers and dare I say DEPTH.
I agree living in the past isn't helpful, but learning from the past is. Us letting Amare Marshall go (or losing him?) matters. The kid dropped 24 points against a top ranked Purdue team, shooting 10-17 and 3-6 from 3. He had great size (6-4) and a growing skill set.

We then went into CAA play and he somehow immediately ended up in Speedy's dog house... We didn't "lose" him to a bigger program/conference, we lost him to ALBANY!

Some backstory/explanation would be helpful for that one... He's a player who would have bridged us into our next phase and could have been the next high quality HU guard.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Refresh my memory about the dog house.

Marshall showed flashes of promise in his only active season with us, winning ROY four times, but he couldn't crack the rotation consistently. I believe Estrada was still here, so Marshall probably saw a potential logjam at his position.

After Marshall entered the portal, Albany showed him a lot of love, so he transferred there and has blossomed into a quality starter, averaging 17 ppg and 30 mpg. Albany is 12-13 and 4-6.

I would guess Marshall, who redshirted his first year here, saw greater opportunity at Albany. There may be other reasons we are not privy to, but in today's transfer-oriented world of NCAA basketball, you win some and you lose some

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2023/4/2 ... shall.aspx

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... all-1.html
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

So noticed that Hofstras game preview for Elon tomorrow lists both Dubar and Wilmoth as part of the senior day festivities

https://gohofstra.com/news/2024/2/23/me ... -push.aspx

I know the covid year complicates things, but have we ever had a kid be honored on senior day and then come back the following year? I read this as a very bad sign for chances of Dubar returning
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Jojogunne wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:14 pm Thomas was honored last year:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2023/2/25/me ... e-win.aspx
That's right thanks. Ok so maybe not the end of the world for Dubar then
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dubar is not done just yet but may be done here??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:44 am Dubar is not done just yet but may be done here??
I would be very surprised if Dubar stays for next year given the current state of the college game.
Maybe Speedy will offer him a good NIL package, at least for Hofstra, and keep him as the centerpiece of next year's team although highly unlikely.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I think I saw it posted somewhere that Thomas was on a list of potential 2nd round NBA picks. Not sure how real that is, but made me wonder what if in a crazy world Thomas got drafted and Estrada didn’t. That would be a heck of a recruiting tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

What's more shocking to me is that we are "honoring" Wilmoth! LOL for what exactly?!? :lol:

Presuming he's graduating at least... sure hope he's staying here to actually produce some ROI on the court next year, and not just taking the free education and bolting (wouldn't be the first time here :roll: ).

For Dubar this isn't an indicator either way - he can still stay or go, this is more of a formality and a precaution that all programs are taking in all sports. Wouldn't read too much into it. That's not the sign, we all know he's a threat to leave regardless of Sr night.

Keeping hin will be tough for sure. HU will need to: A) ensure a proper NIL is put together for him. That's not Speedy or HU by the way, that's for Turnpike collective to do in coordination with the staff behind the scenes. B) show him the path for this program to actually make the dance - meaning what is this staff going to do in the offseason to put together a much better team than we've seen this year, because this is not good enough. A star isn't going to stay for both less money and no dance - bad combo.

And no matter what HU needs NIL for someone next year, whether it's Dubar or someone else. Gotta pony up for him or another.

So it's not just the sate of the game, it's the state of the program as well. Just making the dance won't keep guys around when bigger money is on the table, but it certainly won't hurt - it's pretty hard to sell kids on staying when your program has proven for decades it's not a consistent path to the dance. Why I harp on it constantly. HU simply has to do a better job, period.

This U, and it's fanbase, also need to catch up to the modern collegiate landscape and start understanding, respecting, and accepting NIL quickly. We are WAY behind, and I don't see an ounce of leadership that displays the know-how to lead HU athletics into the future.

Alas, I digress...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pride97 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:01 pm I think I saw it posted somewhere that Thomas was on a list of potential 2nd round NBA picks. Not sure how real that is, but made me wonder what if in a crazy world Thomas got drafted and Estrada didn’t. That would be a heck of a recruiting tool!
Estrada is way more likely to graduate being known for scoring 20+ in an NCAA Tournament game than Thomas is. If somebody graduates from a mid-major that did not win NCAA Tournament games like Davidson with Stephen Curry or Murray State with Ja Morant, it is hard to be drafted, and players who do get drafted could get not much of a chance in the NBA like Jenkins and Wright-Foreman. Charleston had three teammates who all played in the NBA, which is very hard for a mid-major, but they combined to play 53 NBA games, with none this season. Jarrell Brantley (who was drafted before Wright-Foreman) played 41, Grant Riller played 7, and Joe Chealaey played 5. Prior to those three, they had two NBA players.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Yeah - by no means meant that I thought it would happen - just would be ironic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just a note here for next year: Someone on this staff needs to teach KJ how to actually be a PG. Kid has ZERO clue. Like NONE. Knows NO plays, runs NO plays, commands NO offense, puts NO ONE in position. Literally just dribbles for 15 seconds, looks once for anyone to pass to, sees no one, backs up 5 feet instead of driving forward, and takes 30 foot shots because he knows nothing else.

Ummmm WHY?? I mean, Speedy, seriously, what are you doing with this kid bro?? Young man does have potential, COACH him for goodness sake. It's been an entire season, the kid can't run one single actual offensive play? Mama mia, c'mon on man...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Assuming Dubar gone, with Fritz Thomas and Washington graduating, might be a while until they contend again.

Into the longest offseason in sports we go...
HU87

Post by HU87 »

My biggest questions for the offseason...

What happens with Myles Wilmouth?

Can we keep Jaquan here?
He reminds me a lot of Buie the year before he broke out and helped bring us to the CAA tourney championship win. Not that he's the same player, but that he's our heartbeat, keeps getting better, bleeds blue and white and seems ready to make another leap and be very very valuable next year. With NIL, I'm concerned he goes elsewhere, but REALLY HOPE he doesn't.

What can Silas Sunday become?
I loved his last 5 games or so-- aggressive, in control, and a real interior presence. Can he keep getting better? That size at this level will be a big impact if he can keep improving.

Do KJ and Khalil come back a year older and wiser?
We need depth. They were only freshman... but next year they need to be leaders off the bench to bring us predictable results and longevity as a roster.

Thoughts on these? What other big questions are there?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't know what we have in Wilmoth other then a kid that played against some big schools but has always been hurt. It seemed that with his size he would have helped us this year. An unknown but a kid that has upside. Carlos is not going anywhere he has found his mentor in Speedy and he stays the course until the end. Silas has improved and he will continue to improve could be a big plus here with his huge presence. Farmer not really a freshman after sitting out a year and KJ got plenty of experience as a freshman. He can shoot but needs to be a play maker. If Dubar returns we again have the makings of a very good team. A lot of us believe that Parnell looks like a very good player and at least right now could be an important part of this team next year. I believe that if we need to fill roster spots we will fill them from the junior college ranks unless we get lucky in the portal. A lot of questions that need answers.