Women's basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by triplec2195 »

Apparently the women's team haven't learned from watching the miscues of the men's team. We get blown out of the 1st quarter give up 28 points and only score 8. So we go into the 2nd quarter down 20 and both teams score 13 in the quarter so we're down 20 at the half. We out score NE by 7 in the second half losing by 13 66-53. Nobody really worth mentioning Emma was the high scorer for us scoring 10 not having a very good game. Tionna Baker gives us 8 and Ally scores 7. Getting points from Ally helpful but no redeeming this team after not coming out of the gate with any purpose. Bad loss.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Game started out with NU leading us 17-1
For the game we shot 27.9 percent
game before was 25 percent
you are not winning any games with these results
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We lose to Drexel tonight 56-38
I think we shot under 30 percent
Dont see much improvement over last year
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Not beating anybody when u only score 38 points. Giving up 56 is a plus but realistically when your leading scorer goes 1-11, 1-6 and score 3 points it will be tough to win. We also get out rebounded 41-28 and turn the ball over 19X. It all speaks volumes. Kudos to Sorelle and Swint for scoring 11 points a piece.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Decent start in the 1st quarter only to play miserably in the 2nd quarter. We have too many turnovers 11 and Elon has scored 10 points off those turnovers. 33-29 Emma with 10 but a lot of misses and 9 points for Selma having a very efficient game. Need more scoring and less turnovers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Played awful in the second quarter got outscored by 10 giving up easy layups etc. and getting out rebounded. Also missing easy layups on the other end. Go into the second half down by 9 Elon scores another 20 points in the 3rd so much for our great D and now we're down by 14. So we decide to start playing in the 4th quarter getting turnovers and Emma hitting one three after another. With the game tied and with possession of the ball and in control seemingly it looked like Ally was going to drive and possibly get fouled but going thru a lot of traffic she loses the ball. Of course now after limiting them to 3 points in the quarter we foul with 1 second on the clock and lose by 1 on a made free throw. So we now have lost by 2 to W&M going into the 4th quarter with a 7 point lead and lose by 1 to Elon after taking the lead being down by 14.

I have to remark on the number of easy baskets we missed especially the one that sticks out in my mind was when Emma passes the ball down the court to Anya who's wide open under the basket and she misses the layup. Anya can rebound but she can't shoot FREE THROWS and she misses easy layups under the basket. This is what she should be practicing for hours F.T's and layups. She's not a freshman give us a break. I shouldn't single her out because so many others that can't finish near the basket.

Emma came back in the second half finished with 23 points 8-18, 6-13. Kudos to Selma who shot very efficiently 5-11, 3-5. Otherwise a lot of goose eggs on kids that need to score Fargo who started and turned the ball over twice on her first two possessions Knights no points 0-2. Baker had 6 points and Ineza 5 points who also started.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I will start by saying they played pretty poorly the first 3 quarters, but took a turn in the 4th (much like the men’s team as of late). Hopefully something they can build on.

There were a lot of easy buckets missed my both teams. We’ve talked about Anya around the basket a bunch and how it looks like she is chucking with no touch on layups/put backs. Swint and Selma look like they have the best handles at the hoop to me. Anya has a great nose for the ball and is a great rebounder. If she could develop a touch, she’d be a real force down low.

From the positives, they showed some grit coming back. They put Brown in for a few minutes and that is around where it started to turn. I think she brings a toughness that they lack and would like to see her minutes increase. I thought she looked good in her short time. Still don’t know why Gooden can’t get some minutes. Only gets run at the end of quarters.

They had a great sequence where they must have gotten 5 offensive boards but came up empty. But that was an energy that’s been lacking. Baker played some real solid minutes and is a much better defender than I realized. She was defending the point for much of the final run. She also was taking it to the hoop which was a nice chance from all the outside shooting. Would like to see more of her.

Markasic may be the 2nd best shooter on the team (possibly Swint) and I think needs more minutes as well. Would like to see her on the court more with Emma so defenses can’t key on her.

Swint hurt her knee. Tried to play through but you could see it was bothering her. Hope that’s it’s nothing serious since the let her play with it tightly wrapped.

Knights was clearly distraught after the game from losing the ball in the final possession. She did a nice job splitting the D on a trap, but couldn’t get the pass off. Really felt for her. Coach only made one sub during that comeback which was unusual but was happy to see her go with the hot hands. Emma was on fire for that stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good points Pride and yes I believe Selma should start and Alarice has shot 50% from beyond on a small sample but she should be playing more. Baker has upside and so does Brown who's a physical player. She does though need to control her physical play as she's foul prone. I'm not a huge fan of Fargo as if I haven't said that enough she is such a Jeckyl and Hyde player. Started yesterday but only played 8 minutes.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

They seems to have issues with slow starts as well - think it may be time to shake up the starting lineup a bit.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Coach is trying that as she really needs a cohesive lineup moving forward. She started Baker against Drexel. The coach I believe is feeling the pressure and if u look at the minutes players are getting lately like Ineza who got few minutes in this game although she contributed. Fargo pulled and didn't get many minutes as well after turning the ball over her first two times she touched the ball.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Yeah - i usually like lots of subs to keep fresh legs, but they dont play a full court press that its necessary. Maybe stick with the lineups a little more to get some cohesion. Seemed to work down the stretch yesterday
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Here is a review of this year vs last year.
Last year our OOC NET ranking was in the 300s
This year we needed to, up it.
The beginning NET ranking of our NET was at 234
I was ok with that
As of now our OOC ranking is at 261.8
So it is a little worse and not going to make the team prepared for the CAA schedule.
As of now the CAA womens NET stands at 219.3
That is nowhere near average
Our NET ranking is 297.
Unless things change radically the rest of the season I dont see how coach Santos survives
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Unfortunately Coach Santos is still experimenting at this stage of the season trying to find the right 5 starters which should be solidified by now. She really has 3-4 of those starters but she took Ineza out used Fargo and against Drexel she had Baker start but maybe as we have said Selma deserves to start and we can use her scoring capability.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agree - would like to see Selma start and see if the team put up some points early.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Stu Santos survives even though I think she would be gone by now but she's starting to get some respectable recruits and transfers. I believe Swint comes back next year who will be the leading rebounder in the CAA and the recruitment of Von-Essen is a BIG GET for this program. She's already showing as a sophomore how good she's going to be down the road. New recruits also coming in one girl I believe with Swint's size.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We play W&M tonight a team we lost to at home by 2 points and clearly a game we should have won. We scored 2 points in the 4th quarter going into that quarter with a 7 point lead. This team places respectable defense but needs to find a way to score. Also need to shoot better from the foul line.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We committed 13 turnovers in the first half and miraculously we're only down 25-24. Five points each for Markisic and Emma.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Our miraculous run ends after we double our turnovers in the 2nd half and commit 26 for the game. Emma 5(3 walks) 6 for Knights playing 22 minutes(awful) and no points. Tough to score when you don't shoot the ball and Ineza 4 turnovers . Micaela Carter with 4 turnovers in 22 minutes also makes the "ALL TURNOVER TEAM". First things first we're not winning turning it over 26 X. W&M score 25 points off our turnovers 15 fast break points and again go to the FT line 18x to our 10 and 16(shoot 13-16) of those in the 4th quarter as they pull away.

We got contributions from a lot of players and played pretty good D but I don't think we can win with Emma only taking 9 shots. She shoots 5-9 3-6 13 points 9 for Baker, 8 both for Markisic and Ineza.

I said before the season started that we are a better team then 12th in this conference and yet here we're in 12th place. I still think we're better then 12th but time will tell. We have lost games we should have won and although W&M is 5-2 they're really not that good a team IMO. When they play the Stony Brook's of this conference we'll see how they fare.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The entire conference is not strong
Even Stony Brook is nowhere near a top 25 team the way DelawAre JMu and to an extent Drexel was a few years ago
Our team has many flaws
we cant shoot and when we hit 40 percent we become a bakery with all those turnovers
We are one of the bottom 4 teams along with Elon Hampton and UNCW
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Let the game get away in the 4th. Could see it coming in the first three but was hoping they would limit the mistakes. Just not fluid on offense. Like that they were driving more and not settling for threes but too many dribbling and passing woes did them in.

They should be able to play with team like this. Agreed Emma needs more shots - especially when she is shooting 5-9 and struggling to find offense.

Some positives - Baker seems to be a bigger part of the rotation now. Like what she has shown for the most part. Had a toughness that is needed. Also Anya played more in control and looked better on her layups. She is a real force on the boards as well.

They have to find more points though. Swint can be that if she can stay out of foul trouble. But need a third to emerge.