Women's basketball 2023-24

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: Women's basketball 2023-24

Post by Pride97 »

I don't know much about Army and didn't see the game, but always love a road win and the confidence boost.

Looking at the box, 17 rebounds between Anya and Swint is great. May be a nice advantage going forward. Like that Knights scored 7 including 3-4 from the line. Also Markisic went 2-3 from 3. She may end up being a scoring x-factor if she can shoot form the arc consistently.

Agree showing some promise!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes things are looking up here. Knights I'm sure has been told to shoot the ball if she's open and she has proven she can hit some of those shots. We have more depth this year and better rebounding an experienced Emma. We could make a run.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We play Lehigh tomorrow who's 6-1 and coming off a win over Drexel by 1 point. This is a good test for this team who is playing better and has more post presence. Let's see if we can beat a decent mid major team.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

to beat Lehigh we have to do the 3 major things well
shoot well rebound well and keep turnovers to a minimum
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Keeping turnovers down is what worries me but as of right now we're down about 3 turnovers a game. I don't know how many of our turnovers are live ball turnovers. We're also getting 4 more rebounds a game compared to last year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I got to this game late and I think we were already down 16-10. Emma had already hit two three's. Lehigh coming in was 6-1 and you could see why. A lot of good passing and sharing the ball getting open looks. They had 18 assists to our 6. We played too much one on one basketball while they distributed the ball. They also are a very good shooting team shooting 38% to our 31% and hitting three's at 37% to our 24%. The game was relatively close going into the 4th quarter when they blew it open. They hit quite a few three's in this quarter that we defended poorly. Sorelle Ineza played only 21 minutes in this game and only had 6 points I'm not sure why she played very few minutes. Was she hurt/sick or just having a bad game IDK. She took bad shots in the 3rd quarter and was pulled by Coach Atkinson. While Emma was having a pretty good game it was too much for her to carry this team since without Ineza we don't have many consistent scorers. We got out rebounded 48-41 but only had 15 turnovers to their 19. We also were poor from the foul line hitting 11-19 while they hit 9-12. This team is a work in progress but I see improvement unfortunately not enough in this game where we were beat by a better team.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They play hard for coach Atkinson but alas they dont have the depth if one of the scorers is having an off day
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Watching the post presser Coach Atkinson was asked about the limited minutes for Ineza and danced around this a bit saying we were looking for better matchups and pretty much said it was due to her not matching up well defensively. Imagine that limiting our leading scorer at the time(now Emma is) due to her D deficiencies in this game. In reality their three point shooters were burning us and they had quite a few. We just gave them good looks instead of playing up on them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Once again we lose a close game this time to Iona 59-54. Swint with a big game having a double/double 14/14 and Brooke Anya with 8 boards as well and 9 points. We out rebound Iona by 14 rebounds. Ally Knights hit a couple of treys and scores 8 points even Fargo giving us 7 points but it wasn't enough because partially we don't defend the three point line tough enough. We give up 9 three's and always seem to find ourselves coming up short and playing from beyond. So a frantic comeback in the 4th quarter after Emma hits a three her first points of the 2nd half(crazy) we are in a one possession game but Iona defended well and blocked Emma's three point attempt with just a few seconds left in the game. Pretty much everyone in the bldg. knew she was going to shoot it so tough to make. Sorelle Ineza has totally lost her game not scoring and sitting for long periods in this game only getting 21 minutes. If she had given us at least a few points this game might have gone the other way. We also had 18 turnovers too many and of course some of those live ball turnovers.

As much as I would like to say we need to play better D we also need to score points and without getting any contributions from Ineza it will be tough to do.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

our overall defense isn’t that bad we just can’t score scoring even 54 points a game is not going to win you a lot of games, especially in the area of the three-point shot
This team needs to average between 60 and 65 points for them to be competitive
Also, we lack depth on this team
If one of our scores are off, this team is in trouble, we just don’t have enough fire power from the bench, to offset the lack of scoring from our starters
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We have depth but really it's the quality of the depth that we need. We had 10 players logging minutes but only 6 scored which included a goose EGG for Ineza. Her game has gone into free fall!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I saw some of the game and the perimeter D while i was watching was bad - many open 3s.

Swint looks great - has really elevated her game and is more aggressive. It was mentioned on on the broadcast and i agree - the addition of Anya has freed her up some and may be part of the reason for her improved play. Last year she was constantly in foul trouble. She could end up being the best big in the conference.

The lack of scoring is problematic. Was nice to see Knights and Fargo pitch in some but without Ineza's normal points, there just isn't enough - someone needs to step up. Emma is playing more aggressively and can certainly score, but she needs help on her defense for her to log major minutes.

Loosing Brandy Thomas was a big loss. While Anya makes up on the boards, her offensive game is no where near Brandy. Plus shooting 50% FTs - needs to improve big time! If they can coach Anya up - that could be a huge advantage as they were playing Swint and Anya together yesterday and neither got in foul trouble.

It was a shame for them to get all the way back only to have no plan on offense. Unfortunately they burned all their time outs at that point, but need to the upperclassmen to lead there and not wait to find Emma an open look since everyone knew they were doing that. There was plenty of time to find a good shot and get the ball back again. Terrible clock management at the end.

I do think there have been some positives and hopefully they continue to grow moving forward. Along with Anya, i thought Carter played some really good minutes for a freshman. Also feel Markasic can add some offense, but not sure if they are purposely limiting her minutes now as she is getting up to game speed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride good points but note re Emma she's already averaging 32+ minutes a game. I don't think she's able to play more minutes then that it seems like she needs to catch her breath a few times during the game. As for her D yeah she's learning but does get burned much like a lot of this team especially guarding the 3 point line. One thing about this team is that there is a lot of bodies and the coach is trying to find combination what works best. They have already played 8 games so you would think they would have a good idea but too many up and down players. I have never been a big fan of Fargo but truth be told she has had some decent games. A Jeckyl n Hyde type player. Hopefully we can get Ineza up to speed and with all her drives to the basket having defenses collapse on her I wish she would pass the ball once in a while. Patience!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So another game that should not have been scheduled
We beat div3 Farmingdale 113-24
Now with less than 2 minutes left and we are leading 110-22
She had Emma Von Essan in the game who hits a three
What reason on gods green earth does a coach risk injury to her best player
This doesnt happen too often
Im at a loss for words
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agree Stu - not sure why some of the starters played in the 4th Q at all. They can shoot lights out when not guarded apparently. I was there for the whole thing and I felt bad for Farmingdale. Clearly out if their league. I could go through the box, but everyone had good games led by Emma and Markasic. The only take away for me is maybe today's shooting can give them some confidence moving forward.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

we played them without Swint our center and the game was over after the first quarter
their two biggest players were 5ft10 snd 5ft9
after that they range from 5ft3 to 5ft6
I have seen gurls high school teams bigger than that
Wags

Post by Wags »

In men's hoops, Florida International beat Trinity (FL), a school with only 161 students yesterday. FIU scored 73 in each half. Like HU's win over Farmingdale yesterday, a complete waste of everyone's time.

Other than artificially inflating program win totals, I don't understand what is gained from these matchups for either side. The NCAA needs to stop this in men's and women's hoops. These matchups that should never take place underscore why there are separate divisions in the first place. If it's not about real competition, then what are we doing?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Stu we had already talked about this yesterday but what we didn't talk about the "coup de grace" the POST PRESSER. I don't remember seeing a woman's post presser for more then a few minutes this one went on for 8 minutes plus just basking in the blowout of a D-3 team and everything we did right. At no point did they ever mention stuff like it was a lesser opponent a non D1 team nothing like that. If you didn't know anything about Farmingdale State you would have thought they beat one of the best teams in the country. The entire charade was so disingenuous that Hofstra should be ashamed of themselves for putting a major beat down on this school and then putting in Emma at the end of the game and she shoots and hits her 9th three. Twenty nine points playing 13 minutes. I think our next game should be against LSU AND WE'LL BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BEATDOWN. Love this team and the staff but this talking up beating a D3 team is just despicable. Shame on us!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:13 pm In men's hoops, Florida International beat Trinity (FL), a school with only 161 students yesterday. FIU scored 73 in each half. Like HU's win over Farmingdale yesterday, a complete waste of everyone's time.

Other than artificially inflating program win totals, I don't understand what is gained from these matchups for either side. The NCAA needs to stop this in men's and women's hoops. These matchups that should never take place underscore why there are separate divisions in the first place. If it's not about real competition, then what are we doing?
Some games against non-Division I teams should not be played, but there are upsets. An FCS defeating defeating an FBS team in Football is not the same thing as a non-Division I team beating a Division I team, but there was Appalachian State's win at Michigan. In Men's Basketball on November 3, 2009, Syracuse lost an exhibition 82-79 to Le Moyne, a school in Syracuse that is now in their first Division I season. Syracuse went 30-5 that season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Wags wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:13 pm In men's hoops, Florida International beat Trinity (FL), a school with only 161 students yesterday. FIU scored 73 in each half. Like HU's win over Farmingdale yesterday, a complete waste of everyone's time.

Some games against non-Division I teams should not be played, but there are upsets. An FCS defeating defeating an FBS team in Football is not the same thing as a non-Division I team beating a Division I team, but there was Appalachian State's win at Michigan. In Men's Basketball on November 3, 2009, Syracuse lost an exhibition 82-79 to Le Moyne, a school in Syracuse that is now in their first Division I season. Syracuse went 30-5 that season.
And it was fun when Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson’s Virginia team. But for every very rare upset in hoops with those scenarios, there are countless games that are over after a few minutes and that are a waste of time. We have three separate divisions for a reason. I don’t think teams should be playing outside of those divisions in games that count. Preseason exhibitions, fine, but that’s it.