stuball888

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by stuball888 »

Wait for it
He's coming!
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

If you don't think the NIT matters or if people pay attention, Hofstra is currently the #3 trending topic on Twitter in the ENTIRE US. Right after the real housewives of new jersey. Lol

(And having games on ESPN platforms makes a difference. Sportscenter Twitter account tweeting out the final sequence to 40 million people doesn't hurt)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Back to the game. We actually outrebounded Rutgers who was suppossed to have a big advantage in the post. We did turn the ball over 16 times(way too much)
like others have said what a gritty win.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Wait for it
He's coming!
Stu we've heard this before and even Polito has got to love this win. Man I was going to turn this game off just got too frustrated on the questionable calls and Estrada fouling out. It looked dismal. Imagine the let down on all those loyal Rutgers fans and the coach having to eat some HUMBLE PIE.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Love the CINDERELLA stories in basketball and every other sport.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:that was the greatest win we've ever had
We should have declined the NIT bid. I just want to know how much Rutgers paid for this win.

Make up your mind FD DECLINE or was it the greatest win EVER?? LOL Can't be both!!

LOL - I don't think two posts could more sum up the rollercoaster ride my brain goes through watching this team!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:that was the greatest win we've ever had
We should have declined the NIT bid. I just want to know how much Rutgers paid for this win.

Make up your mind FD DECLINE or was it the greatest win EVER?? LOL Can't be both!!

LOL - I don't think two posts could more sum up the rollercoaster ride my brain goes through watching this team!
and you know dude you're not alone. I was shouting more F--BOMBS at the TV then I ever do just couldn't believe the calls and they still couldn't steal it from us but they tried.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Our old friend Tim Welsh doing the color in ESPNU.
Yeah wasn't he OUR coach for a day or two until he was hit with a DWI??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just looking at some of the stats and what does jump out at you that the one thing Rutgers does well is rebound and we out rebounded them. Imagine that. Sorry Stu I just see you had posted this already but huge.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

triplec2195 wrote:Just looking at some of the stats and what does jump out at you that the one thing Rutgers does well is rebound and we out rebounded them. Imagine that.

Rutgers only had 3 offensive boards in 2nd half and OT after 10 in first half. Hofstra 9 more shots than Rutgers in 2nd/OT after Rutgers took 13 more shots in 1st half. And hofstra shoots 57% against a top 5 rated defensive in the country
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh I'm here, and I watched every minute as I said I was going to.

They were completely shellshocked the first few minutes, looked like deer in headlights, and this could've been an embarrassing showing. Estrada was absolutely awful, again tonight. He looks lost, is a walking turnover, and can't find his shot. I actually think he needed to sit in the 1st to collect himself. His stock quite frankly is plummeting. He needs a big game to show he's not falling off.

But to this teams absolute credit, they steadied themselves, found their footing, fought like hell, and made this a game. And the announcers LOVED Speedy and HU, and gave us props all game long - this was a HUGE game for HU's rep, and I agree should produce dividends in free marketing, esp on the recruiting trail.

I am absolutely ecstatic with this win, and like I said I would, give MAJOR props to Speedy & Co. for getting this team to play tough in a big game. I was even impressed when it looked like they lost - it isn't the win, it's the WAY they played tonight. They played with a SET, didn't back down, never gave up, left it all on the floor.

I did say that Dubar would be key, and he was - played big tonight. Love what I saw from German and thought he should've played more. BW was ok, he had a tough job guarding their sniper, he got beat a few times, but that kid was a player. Nelson, wow, he's not 'amazing' by any stretch but man did he play like a star tonight. Gotta give that man kudos, he held it down against a fantastic post player.

HU just went toe to toe, and BEAT, one of the truly best defensive teams in the entire country - on their own floor - and a team most think should've been in the NCAAs. This is a feather in this programs cap. -> This is one of the biggest wins in HU's history IMO. <-

IF THEY HAD PLAYED LIKE THAT AGAINST THE W THEY WOULD BE DANCING. That's why I go crazy with the chokes, they SHOULD be dancing. But I am thrilled they made the best of where they are, and will not take that away from them.

I will of course be pulling hard for my Hokies tomorrow night!!!! This is a DREAM matchup for me, truly something I have wanted to see forever. I can't lose, and would root for another awesome game!

But either way, these boys earned another day in the NIT, they represented themselves and this program with honor on national tv in front of a large raucous crowd, and picked up their teammate when he was down.

THAT'S what I expect from this program. ROLL PRIDE
Cards

Post by Cards »

Great clutch play by so many guys. A real team effort led by guys who never gave up!

Great win for guys who could have been playing their final MBB college game! :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... core/12532 is the box score. We had 12 offensive rebounds, which tied our season-high. The last time we had more than 12 offensive rebounds was 13 at James Madison on January 9, 2022. The attendance was 5,017, which is low by Big Ten standards.

When Estrada fouled out, I though his chance to lead the CAA in scoring was over, but it isn't. If we lose our next game, Estrada needs 31 points to lead the CAA in scoring, and Carlos needs 8 assists to lead the CAA in assists. If we play two more games, Estrada needs 51 points to lead the CAA in scoring, and Carlos needs 12 assists to lead the CAA in assists.

If we win our next game, and Colorado wins two, we will have a quarterfinal at Colorado, and I might go. The only away game I went to was at Binghamton. That game and Yankees games were the only games I went to rooting for the away team, albeit I have been to neutral site games (including CAA Quarterfinals and Semifinals in 2016 and 2020) rooting for the team with fewer fans.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And PS: HU has GOT to find a way to keep Thomas. That kid is lethal and a big game player. Ice in his veins. And he just showed he doesn't need AE to be a baller, that's huge. In fact, he played like a POY should. Young man wanted the ball and was ready and willing to be the hero.

Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

KEEP THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote: It’s a good thing the players and staff have way more belief than some of their fans do! :roll:
I knew you'd get me on that one. I was about to draw up a letter to the new NCAA president requesting a formal investigation into the spate of fouls on Estrada and Williams in the second half.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Crazy stat - Rutgers only missed one shot in all of overtime - the last one (that hit a dozen rims)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yerpking

Post by Yerpking »

I was screaming when they called WW for his 4th on a brutal call and same with Estrada 5th. Turns out that foul on WW won us the game lol.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That's wild

I don't like the complain about reffing angle, but there's no question they were terrible tonight and did all they could to force an RU win. That last call on AE set basketball back decades. Embarrassing call. And thankfully the announcers jumped all over it. BS calls tonight.

The fact that HU somehow won this game with the refs against them and AE on the bench is truly something.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: The rest of that part of the bracket:

4 Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech
3 New Mexico vs. Utah Valley
2 Colorado vs. Seton Hall

Would love to see Hofstra vs. Colorado (where my nephew is a freshman).
After Hofstra vs. Colorado, hoping for a championship game with my two former schools, Bradley and Hofstra.

Bradley trailed at Wisconsin, 40-35, at halftime, the same score Hofstra trailed by at the half tonight. So, I guess the Braves are going to win, 88-86, in overtime tonight.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:Our old friend Tim Welsh doing the color in ESPNU.
Yeah wasn't he OUR coach for a day or two until he was hit with a DWI??
For a month. Threw away a $3 million, five-year deal because he couldn't call a cab. But he seems to have learned from that and is doing well with ESPN since.