Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hof_Judge99

Re: Media Thread

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Did anyone see what Stafford Trueheart posted to instagram?? Geez, not good.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

What did he post?
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

A picture of a white cop in a kkk outfit with a confederate flag pointing a gun at a black child who is holding a bag of skittles. Eeeesch
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ugh not good.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Joe Lunardi made a bracket with Charleston as a 13 seed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17596

Hofstra men's basketball projected to finish third in CAA and ranked #129 in College Sports Madness 2019/20 preview above.
I'm wondering who has been predicted 1st and 2nd. NE 1st but realistically who was picked for 2nd?? This prediction is contingent on Silverio sitting out and maybe if that's not the case we could be sitting higher?
To revisit this now that College Sports Madness is now up to #99 and of note might be that St Johns is predicted at #110 and Buffalo at #109 but there haven't been any other teams listed from the CAA. I don't know about anyone else but I find this odd since we have to assume that CSM has 2 teams listed higher then both St Johns and Buffalo from the CAA based on their prediction that HU will finish 3rd. We have all mentioned about the exodus of really quality players from the CAA so I'm a bit dumbfounded that 2 teams would be ranked that high in this preview of college basketball. Every team in this league has suffered some substantial losses from last years teams. IDK if anyone finds this odd??
OK so I'll respond to my own post. College sports Madness finally has the #2 picked team in the conference listed as NE AT #94. Again I'll say this is odd. We're picked 129 and they're 35 teams better then us in this ranking?? They lose 5 players most of whom were major contributors except for Jeremy Miller and we lose two players albeit important ones. So looking past this who's picked to win the conference and how high are they rated nationally?? COC or James Madison??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17596

Hofstra men's basketball projected to finish third in CAA and ranked #129 in College Sports Madness 2019/20 preview above.
I'm wondering who has been predicted 1st and 2nd. NE 1st but realistically who was picked for 2nd?? This prediction is contingent on Silverio sitting out and maybe if that's not the case we could be sitting higher?
To revisit this now that College Sports Madness is now up to #99 and of note might be that St Johns is predicted at #110 and Buffalo at #109 but there haven't been any other teams listed from the CAA. I don't know about anyone else but I find this odd since we have to assume that CSM has 2 teams listed higher then both St Johns and Buffalo from the CAA based on their prediction that HU will finish 3rd. We have all mentioned about the exodus of really quality players from the CAA so I'm a bit dumbfounded that 2 teams would be ranked that high in this preview of college basketball. Every team in this league has suffered some substantial losses from last years teams. IDK if anyone finds this odd??

OK so I'll respond to my own post. College sports Madness finally has the #2 picked team in the conference listed as NE AT #94. Again I'll say this is odd. We're picked 129 and they're 35 teams better then us in this ranking?? They lose 5 players most of whom were major contributors except for Jeremy Miller and we lose two players albeit important ones. So looking past this who's picked to win the conference and how high are they rated nationally?? COC or James Madison??
I'd imagine it's COC who is returning Riller. Before Horton left it could have been Delaware.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

i AGREE it could have been Delaware before Horton left but who is it now? Is the COC bringing back enough to be favored in this conference??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So revisiting the College Sports Madness preview they have picked the COC AS THE 90TH BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY after losing Brantley, Marquise Pointer and Nick Harris. The major loss is obviously Brantley but they bring back a young team so I'm not so sure they should be picked to win the conference and go dancing. NE has lost a lot but bring back at least some experience players as do we and with Kante and now Silverio eligible it looks like this could be a real dog fight in the CAA. I believe with the addition of Silverio we would have been ranked higher. Thoughts??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Harris declined as a senior, but they still lost 41.8 percent of their rebounds. We lost 47.1 percent of our rebounds. Brevin Galloway averaged 7.9 points and shot field goals well considering how many threes he attempted, but he shot free throws .550, and averaged only 2.4 rebounds and 0.9 assists. Zep Jasper averaged 5.4 points and shot threes well, but shot twos horribly (.388). He averaged 2.2 points and 1.3 assists. Sam Miller (4.7 PPG), Jaylen McManus (4.7 PPG and their leading returning rebounder at 3.8 RPG), and Jaylen Richard (4.1 PPG) also return. Among their returning players, 45.4 percent of their points were from Riller. To compare, among our eight returning 2018-2019 players, JWF had 39.3 percent of the points in 2017-2018.

Riller scored 724 last year. He needs 718 to pass Jenkins for second in CAA history. He averaged 21.9 points last season. If he plays the same amount of games this season, he needs to average 26.5 to break David Robinson's CAA record of 2,669. National media may not care about CAA records, but if Riller breaks the CAA record in the NCAA Tournament, I hope they would realize and announce it on TV because of how famous Robinson is.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Riller is a very good player but I don't think he's going to score 5 more points a game over his average last year. That's a lot of pressure to put on anyone and I don't see him to be the take over player that Justin was and now he has to play without Brantley!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I look at it as playing without Brantley could help him score more because he can take more shots. In 2009-2010, Jenkins was a junior, and he averaged 20.6 points. Chaz Williams was second with 9.8. I'm wondering if Riller can score over double his highest teammates.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Here's one for some discussion: In the Newsday coverage of the Bryant vs Stony Brook game from Thursday, there is an announcement about SNY broadcasting SBU games. All the remaining five home football games and the first home basketball game in November against Yale will be televised. It also mentions that additional games may also be shown. By the way, the attendance was announced as 9,652.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Here's one for some discussion: In the Newsday coverage of the Bryant vs Stony Brook game from Thursday, there is an announcement about SNY broadcasting SBU games. All the remaining five home football games and the first home basketball game in November against Yale will be televised. It also mentions that additional games may also be shown. By the way, the attendance was announced as 9,652.
They averaged 7,814 last year, and the CAA averaged 9,283, so 9,652 for a home opener isn't extremely high. Because of how high James Madison and Delaware were, nine of twelve teams were below the CAA average last year. Stony Brook was seventh.

They have six remaining home games, and https://caasports.com/calendar.aspx?path=football says five are on SNY, but hosting Fordham on September 21 is not, and that's one of the only games between two area teams. In addition to Stony Brook, SNY will have three CAA games:

Towson at James Madison on October 26 at 3:30 P.M.
New Hampshire at James Madison on November 9 at 3:30 P.M.*
Richmond at James Madison on November 16 at 3:30 P.M.

* Stony Brook will be SNY at 2:00 P.M. that day, so SNY will show this game delayed. Those three games are on MASN, which doesn't show Stony Brook, so people who get MASN can watch New Hampshire at James Madison live.

SNY's website still has the NCAA schedule from last season.

Other than SNY and MASN, These games at CAA teams will be on TV somewhere:

1. Lafayette at William & Mary tomorrow at 6:00 P.M. on Yurview On Cox Communications (hereafter YOCC)
2. St. Francis (PA) at James Madison on September 7 at 6:00 P.M. on NBC Sports Washington (hereafter NBCSW)
3. Delaware at Rhode Island on September 7 at 7:00 P.M. on YOCC
4. Morgan State at James Madison on September 14 at 4:00 P.M. on NBCSW
5. Colgate at William & Mary on September 14 at 6:00 P.M. on YOCC
6. Elon at Richmond on September 14 at 6:00 P.M. on NBCSW+ (including Stony Brook, four CAA games will be on TV at the same time, but I don't know if anybody gets all four channels)
7. Albany at Richmond on October 5 at 2:00 P.M. on NBCSW+
8. Villanova at William & Mary on October 5 at 3:30 P.M. on YOCC
9. James Madison at William & Mary on October 19 at 3:30 P.M. on YOCC
10. Yale at Richmond on October 19 at 6:00 P.M. on NBCSW+
11. Stony Brook at Richmond on November 2 at 3:00 P.M. on NBCSW+
12. Rhode Island at William & Mary on November 9 at 1:00 P.M. on YOCC
13. Towson at William & Mary on November 16 at 1:00 P.M. on YOCC
14. William & Mary at Richmond on November 23 at 12:00 P.M. WTVR 6.1 (a subchannel of WTVR, which is Richmond's CBS)
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To EvanJ, Thanks for all the TV information.
Cards

Post by Cards »

This may be a bit "picky" but this item has always bothered me. Whenever pictures are posted on the basketball website, they are always from the courtside perspective looking towards the team benches. I always thought that this view makes the Mack look like a fairly small venue that holds about 2,000 (kinda like most America East, NEC, and MAAC arenas). Why don't they take a few pictures looking away from the benches that give a fuller picture of the second level stands below the private boxes. Its a much more impressive sight IMO. I know they are not always full, but IMO, I think its a better look.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards I totally, that view does not present the Mack at its best.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The pictures make the Mack look small, but how many people do you think look at the pictures on GoHofstra but don't know that some of the Mack has two levels? I don't know if Hofstra knows how many views the website gets, but it shows the lack of interest when I was the first person to Like the CAA Women's Soccer Final highlights on YouTube three days later.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Great piece in Forbes about how the coaching staff scouts and prepares for opponents. Check out the link:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/ ... 23a28d26dc
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Great piece in Forbes about how the coaching staff scouts and prepares for opponents. Check out the link:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/ ... 23a28d26dc
Nice post HUSID thanks for posting it. It's always nice to know what goes on behind the scenes!