MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by Cards »

So for this year we have 10 scholarship players. After this year we will lose Kone and Nesmith, who we know will alreay be replaced by Djambo and Justin WF. So we know that coach already has 10 solid players (+ any walkons) for next year. I only point this out because it underscores the coaches ability to be very selective in the 2015 recruits we go after. We will have a solid 2015-2016 team already and there is no need to settle for mediocre talent (as JAM has said many times). As many on the board have pointed out, we can focus on players like Carter or Buie or other similar talents. Its very encouraging that we are in this position and I have full confidence that JAM will be successful in raising the level of the program.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very good point Cards, very good point

I think esp in the post where it takes greater effort to land quality non-project types, they are working diligently to find the right guys - a big yr that produces some attention would likely make an impact to recruiting, so perhaps they are biding their time in some respects...
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

All Quiet on the Western Front.
Polito

Post by Polito »

this PG spot is really intriguing... the recruiting between Buie and Carter really has my attention - tough to get a gauge after their visits

IMO Buie trimmed his list to HU and MC as he didn't have the best summer so some programs may have slowed down pursuit if they really didn't need to take a guard this yr (ala Seton Hall - could have taken one, but really didn't need to at this point unless it was a 5* star guy) - despite summer he has talent, obviously size an issue, but he visited HU and MC a while back now and no word - tough decision for him, wondering if academics will play a big part? both in his decision and also in his acceptance... Perhaps that's the real hold up??

Carter to me likely desires a power program being a 4* guy, and he def has the interest, he just doesn't have the offers or commitments from them yet due to the injury/surgery - the programs I've seen associated with him, based on my own digging, I just don't see happening for him, at least this yr (Tennessee, SMU, Penn St, Providence, Dayton, among others) ALL have either SUPER talent locked up already, or are in good standing with SUPER recruits, or only have 1 spot left and are using to pursue other bigger needs

That could mean either HU has a GREAT shot to jump in and snag him (and he would have a GREAT opp to be a day 1 starter/1st teamer and likely still land pro looks), OR it could mean he waits it out, plays the season and/or goes prep for a yr to land that true big offer

again, I can't seem to find much insight on either after their visits, this is really from a lot of forum digging and me reading between the lines - anyone have or hear ANYTHING on these 2?!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito, don't you think that for Buie if it was Manhattan, the alleged favorite he would have already pulled the trigger?

Here's another thought...Maybe Hofstra has backed off in pursuit of greener pastures?

Just say'in
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Loos like we got Buie.
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 1m1 minute ago
Desure Buie to Hofstra, his coach says. Wings PG also considered Manhattan.
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 4089842688
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

YUP Great get! The backcourt of the future! it's going to be fun and exciting!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dan Serafin @DanSerafin · 3m 3 minutes ago
Spoke w/Wings Guard Desure Buie, just verbally committed to @HofstraPride, says coaching staff, incl. Speedy Claxton, big factors in choice.
Dan Serafin @DanSerafin · 2m 2 minutes ago
Buie added that #Hofstra facilities also played a part in decision. It was #Hofstra and #Manhattan as his 2 final choices. #BXsports
Polito

Post by Polito »

WOW, ask and you shall receive!!! AWESOME news!! Talented TRUE PG, consensus 3*, top 10 player in NYC (the 2nd one with J W-F), plays on a great team with AND against TOP competition, and a fantastic 'get' as far as building those local relationships and connections - ton of talent comes out of the BX

Agreed 100% HUSID80, was very good news for HU when he didn't commit after the MC visit, and I felt that meant HU had the edge, I was just curious to the delay at that point - could've been qualifying, a matter of HU's interest level, or it really was just a hard decision for him

Glad to see he made the right choice :D I know I'm a little bias, but in most cases provided the FIT is there, due to HU's staff, facilities, projected upward trend, etc, HU is absolutely the CLEAR choice - again, all things equal and assuming the fit is right, if there's a question to a recruit I'm sorry but HU is flat out head and shoulders above every other mid in the tri-state area IMO

rest easy Stu, HU wins another battle!!! Get ready folks, the 4*'s are coming...just a matter of time (i.e. 1 big season with NCAA) - program is poised for it
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Do we have another scholly left. If we do, can we also go after Carter?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per a WRHU reporter, there is no relation to Taran Buie, the name is just a coincidence.
Also, we should have 2 scholarships left, since we have 2 open for this season, and then we lose Nesmith and Kone.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Excellent news regarding Buie! JAM is really stacking up the talent for both the short and long-term.

Regarding scholarships - we have 11 scolly players now (including Djambo). Lose Nesmith/Kone this year and replace with JWF/Buie. Still keeps us at 11 for next year - 2 open slots. Maybe we go for one more and keep one open for a transfer or a suprise big talent.
Polito

Post by Polito »

right, and IMO if they go after anything besides Carter, should go for a SG/SF/Wing (6'5-6'7) and a long strong PF (6'8-6'9)

the post I can't seem to track down, driving me crazy lol - SO curious to know what the plan is and who they're targeting... I've seen a few minor rumblings, will post what I can find

In the meantime, for Buie, so all know what they just landed:
- 3* Yahoo, ESPN, 247, Future150
- Considered Top 10 in NY (ESPN, 247) #34 PG in nation (ESPN)
- Starts with top 50 player Jessie Govan (C) Georgetown commit
- Notable offers: Seton Hall, URI, Creighton, Duquesne, Iona, MC, Fordham (<love that one!), ODU
- can shoot, has outstanding handle, super passer, true point - strength, as you can imagine, is an area to improve, so I'm guessing his D can improve too

A yr to redshirt perhaps and get stronger should be very helpful - all in all, another GREAT get
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

great job by staff. hiring of speedy paying big dividends.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Very very nice. If we can land a 4 star, I would be blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:WOW, ask and you shall receive!!! AWESOME news!! Talented TRUE PG, consensus 3*, top 10 player in NYC (the 2nd one with J W-F), plays on a great team with AND against TOP competition, and a fantastic 'get' as far as building those local relationships and connections - ton of talent comes out of the BX

Agreed 100% HUSID80, was very good news for HU when he didn't commit after the MC visit, and I felt that meant HU had the edge, I was just curious to the delay at that point - could've been qualifying, a matter of HU's interest level, or it really was just a hard decision for him

Glad to see he made the right choice :D I know I'm a little bias, but in most cases provided the FIT is there, due to HU's staff, facilities, projected upward trend, etc, HU is absolutely the CLEAR choice - again, all things equal and assuming the fit is right, if there's a question to a recruit I'm sorry but HU is flat out head and shoulders above every other mid in the tri-state area IMO

rest easy Stu, HU wins another battle!!! Get ready folks, the 4*'s are coming...just a matter of time (i.e. 1 big season with NCAA) - program is poised for it
Right on Polito!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

doug

Post by doug »

I'm really pleased with both commits. Our guards of the future. You're right jojo, that article will stir the pot. I'm not sure the locals and Syracuse will appreciate the article but that is not my concern.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That article is freakin A W E S O M E ! !

And right on the money IMO - the sleeping giant is poised and ready - with the right commitment, the kind we are just now staring to see, just scratching the surface, this program can be special
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I would think St. John's (and definitely Fordham...) would be much more upset than Syracuse would. They still have plenty of ACC pull and can still get the players they want, and are just one season removed from a Final Four. Syracuse is looking at 4s and 5s, not thrilled they got a 3. Until Hofstra starts the year 25-0, I think Syracuse will be just fine. But the other locals must be quite unhappy- Hofstra is definitely poised to go dancing for the next few years.

Funny that Stony Brook isn't mentioned in the article- I heard they were taking over the New York sports landscape ;-)