MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by daHUPride »

Hmmmmmm, very interesting

“I want a school that’s maybe struggling and just missing that piece,” he said. “Or a program who just lost a point guard or something like that.”

His words
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:Hmmmmmm, very interesting

“I want a school that’s maybe struggling and just missing that piece,” he said. “Or a program who just lost a point guard or something like that.”

His words
He's sitting this year, and they'll be losing Green after this year.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I am concerned that this is at least the third one year transfer we signed within the last year. Looks like short term fixes. Am I the only one who feels this way?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not at all Bob. So far our one year guys seem to be very good players and very good students. Its not like a third of the roster is made up of these players. Look at it like the final piece of the puzzle.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Another smallish guard...obviously the idea is to add experienced depth for after Green graduates
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes - seems more like an "insurance policy" rather than a "difference maker". I am OK with this move simply because we do need to have a backup plan (and sub) for Buie once Green is gone.

Hopefully the "difference makers" will come out of the 2016 recruiting class. Can't emphasize enough how important this class will be. We'll still have 3 bigs with expereince, and 2 small gaurds with one year experience, but there will be a glaring need for one or two wings (6'6" types) that can put the ball in the hoop. I think we will have 5 scholarships open for next year. We need at least 2 big time recruits and some supporting players.

I'm hoping the staff has more recruits in the hopper than what is shown on verbal commits. PG Aiken and SG Hunter are long shots for HU. PG Adams would be good and SGs Phiri, Pemberton, or a tall SG (6'7") Chuba Ohams would be interesting. Should bring in one solid big from this recruiting class also.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

He looks like a player - ROY, tournament MVP and one of the leagues all time best free throw shooters. He will be a nice addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

Coach on newest addition," small but fast, quick, and experienced...great numbers across the board but I like his asst./to ratio best....should soften the blow in a year of losing seasoned veterans we will be graduating"
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Coach on newest addition," small but fast, quick, and experienced...great numbers across the board but I like his asst./to ratio best....should soften the blow in a year of losing seasoned veterans we will be graduating"
Agree - this bridges us for when Green leaves and we (I expect) have a large influx of freshman in 2016-17
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully we make the most of the 5 scholarships we will have to work with as it stands now,,,it seems every year more and more kids decide early...like to see us have 3 commitments by end of November
Polito

Post by Polito »

*0* concern whatsoever with having some talented / effective 1 yr guys in this program - JM has proven the ability to find the right ones and they've done quite well

Iona has flourished with transfers, as have many programs, and HU is one that has benefited from the 5th yr/1 yr guys - a lot of value there - no, can't have a whole team of them, but HU brings in 1-2 each year and that is perfectly fine

this isn't about taking years to build a program with certain guys - I think that's a bit of a myth in the modern game - this is about finding the right players for your program/system - yes, some development is necessary, but the idea is you also don't have to develop every kid from scratch - this is about recruiting talent and maturity

and ultimately this is about WINNING - yes, winning the right way with good character/integrity which HU is doing, BUT it's about WINNING... N O W. Not once or twice every 10+ years like has been the case.

Here's how I view things now if I project the next 10 years: HU in this watered down CAA should finish top 5 every single year, top 3 at least half, and they should land in at least 2 NCAA tournaments with a few other postseason years

not being arrogant (HU hasn't earned that) or unrealistic, and not trying to knock the other members - in the old CAA, yeah, that's a tall task - but I'm sorry let's be honest here, this conf is really not that difficult anymore for a quality program - granted HU is still developing it's program, but the CAA is not some ridiculous gauntlet like it used to be - it is extremely winnable every year for about 3-5 teams

It's time for HU to win, period.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

so is robinson going to redshirt this year? that would only leave them with 10 active players on the roster.
Polito

Post by Polito »

almost forgot about that...good question, is that happening>
garyg

Post by garyg »

The way it is right now better off if Robinson redshirts....he is not gonna get much PT this year with Koon, Tanksley, and Nichols on roster...on the other hand what happens if someone gets hurt or becomes ineligible for whatever reason??
Polito

Post by Polito »

If Robinson is for it and they can stay healthy, I think it would be a great move for all involved - I guess they can go with that plan, and if there's an emergency situation adjust from that point... not like they have to commit to the NCAA in advance one way or the other, it's just a matter of not playing unless absolutely needed (is that right, or am I missing something in the rules??)

anyone know if that is the real plan from the staff perspective?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Yup, that's exactly it. Aside from a medical redshirt, once you've played a minute of a game, you've used a year of eligibility. Otherwise if you don't play, you get a redshirt year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Robinson had some very nice stats his freshman year...I was particularly impressed by his assist to turnover ratio, especially for a freshman...last season he was caught up in a numbers game and will probably be the same for him this season unless he redshirts...during the year sitting out he can work on his game and hit the weight room hard....with Tanksley, Nichols, and Koon all moving on Robinson could step right in the following season and at the very least be in the rotation...