MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by HofstraHockey »

The name Buie still gives me nightmares.

Any idea where this came from?? https://ct.yimg.com/mr/uploads/1193/1276209.gif
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Kid is rail thin but he can play - has some big time offers - Minnesota, Miami, SHU, half the A10, Close the deal JAM - would be great to see him in our backcourt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Not good for us -

"All seven recruiting analysts that have submitted Crystal Ball predictions on 247Sports.com have picked Manhattan as Buie's future school"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Noticed those predictions at least a week back, been following as closely as a fan can - interesting, since the news of SHU bowing out is recent, makes me wonder what MC staff did or said - however, that doesn't mean it's a lock as he's still deciding

I think it's important for HU to land a talented PG in this class, and it looks to be down to Buie or Carter - Buie is VERY light, which can be an issue at this level, but he is also quite talented (legit 3 star, quality offers) and has the ability

HU has been on Buie heavy from the start - love that HU is in final 2, and the he's not rushing the decision (appears to be a tough choice for him so not sure how every prediction can be one way) - however, don't like MC being the last visit - and there's a def need for them at PG so the PT is there - it's strange, I don't know exactly why but I just don't trust MC staff - that's prob not fair as I'm sure they're just good recruiters... but there's just something else that doesn't 'feel' right to me - this is a similar setup to the JL situation - makes me a bit on edge with recruits. J W-F was a solid 'get' for HU over them and others though so who knows...

Carter is a tremendous talent, legit 4 star kid w/MAJOR offers who unfortunately has been injured twice, 2 surgeries relatively recently I believe, and that's why he's still on the market and an HU potential - the big question of whether he could come back post-surgery strong was answered his first competition back as he lit it up - has decent size for the spot, you just wonder if there will be more injuries...Not sure where we stand with him, but he's worth the risk IMO

for the life of me, comparing the local mids, it's hard for me to make a case against HU - the staff is tremendous, the facilities are top notch, the practice facility is first class, the conf is winnable, the chances for NCAA are positive, the pro potential is there, mentorship from talent is there, PT is there... to me most of the time HU is THE choice - but guess I'm just bias!!

it's going to be interesting to watch unfold - world won't end if things don't go HU's way, plenty of great fish in the sea, but would like to see them lock up 1 of the 2
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Losing JL was huge dont want to lose another to MC.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I certainly think PT will be a big part of the decision. You have Green a senior and Gonzalez a sophomore at the point next year assuming Gonzalez pans out nicely. Manhattan will have no one at the moment standing in Buie's way.
Since we lost Lawrence and former Mo commit Rich Williams to Manhattan, perhaps we are tired of coming in second. (We have already offered many PG's for the following year 2016) Maybe that's where the coaching staff feels more desperate need.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I understand the feeling of 'losing' another to MC so soon after JL, I dislike that to say the least...

HOWEVER, I don't see this as that at all - I see a kid who has a very tough decision to make - I would bet the pull to HU is strong considering all the pluses, but if I had to look at the other side I would say there is IMMEDIATE PT at MC next yr - not so at HU - he will have a chance to hone his skills and put on some weight to prepare himself for the CAA and to take the lead yr 2 or 3

I get his delimma - immediate PT is a huge draw - however, that is not always the best thing... we'll see - his size concerns me to be honest, but if JM wants him then there's a lot more to him - alas, simply hoping for whatever the best move is for him

and remember, HU did in fact get one from MC (among others) in J W-F - that was a very nice get folks, I believe that will be seen in the coming yrs

quite frankly if I had my choice, I'd take Carter ALL DAY LONG - JM and crew land that young man and you can mark my words, barring injury (which is a risk), he's a 1st teamer star from the day he officially takes the floor.
Captain

Post by Captain »

As of today, add another recruiting get for Manhattan vs. among others HU. Akintoye Oyo (sp) from Cardinal Hayes a 6'10" player by way of Nigeria.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

MC has a great recruiter in Rasheen Davis.

I Have trust in Speedy as a great recruiter too.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Been told he's very raw and a Project "at best"

Captain wrote:As of today, add another recruiting get for Manhattan vs. among others HU. Akintoye Oyo (sp) from Cardinal Hayes a 6'10" player by way of Nigeria.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

At 6ft 145 how about we convince him to redshirt and hit the weight room. That way he can sit and learn under Green and Gonzo. Still have 4 years and possible two as a starter.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Manhattan just got another commit today besides Oyo (Vincent Eze), and according to verbal commits, they now only have 1 scholarship left. This means Buie needs to make a decision soon. Per twitter, he visited there today, so the fact that he didn't commit yet still gives us some hope.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There is no way even up that Manhattan should beat us for a kid that we want. Look at staff, Speedy for a small point guard, facilities, etc. I agree I'd Manhattan is getting these kids something is fishy...just like Iona, I don't trust either of those programs to tell you the truth.
Fact is the kid will get a great education, coaching and a great career at Hofstra. If he chooses otherwise that's his problem. The rare plenty of 6-0 skinny point guards put there and I agree, we could use a bigger more physical kid.

Buie should also consider that the Manhattan coach had one foot out the door last year and only stayed because he lied on his resume...character...seems to be lacking there but does it matter to the kid? Well soon find out.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Fact is Manhattan did beat us out of now two recruits. We can just hope this kid makes the right decision for himself. I really believe that a redshirt year is also in his best interest wherever he goes.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I know full well this SHOULDN'T matter, but I feel that for these kids (and remember that they're kids), 25-8 vs. 10-23 I think makes a very big difference. Not to mention getting to the dance.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Stu lets be careful not to overuse the 'out recruited' stuff... Because saying that here is an exaggeration - I don't believe HU was all that hot to trot over AO - extremely raw - potential yes, but major project - yes, losing JL was a big win for MC, but not this one - don't think either are better than Djambo, and DEF not > than Gustys or Walker

I'm not sure what their plan is for big guys, not a lot of info out there right now - guessing they'll look either juco or high major transfer...but we'll see

Agree 100% on Buie coming to HU, red shirting, getting excellent coaching, putting on 15-20lbs, learning from top talent, and being groomed into THE floor general yr 2/3 - that seems to be the best plan for a young man like that - we'll see if he and his camp agree with a development plan, or if they just want as much early PT as possible no matter what

That Davis fella for MC has a lot of 'street cred' so to speak in local bball circles - has helped them land solid talent, and yes most yrs MC puts a good product on the floor and has made some noise in the dance and that certainly is a draw

But that advantage is the ONLY difference in my eyes and it will be eliminated as soon as this season - a winning product that can make the dance any given yr is the last differentiator

Besides all I've mentioned before, HU's coaching staff is built for the LONG TERM - JM very likely to finish career here, and Speedy is being groomed as HC in waiting IMO - that would be some SERIOUS stability over the next 20 yrs...
Polito

Post by Polito »

The longer it goes the more I like HU's chances - 247 now has a crystal ball for HU, the first, and the most recent one post-visits - all the MC ones were for before either visit...

I know he's light, but he is very talented, a TRUE PG which can be harder to find - if he's on board with a development plan leading up to him taking the reigns when he is fully prepared, I'm 100% for him 8-)

Also think HU should grab either a 6'5ish combo/wing, or a solid 6'8ish true forward - anyone hear anything on HU's direction in those areas? Hard to find any info on bigs so I really have no idea what the plan is...
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Any word on Traci Carter? He's not listed as any Interest for Hofstra.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/hofstra
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hofstra is listed on the 247 site with a couple of others with a 'Warm' notation... He's a tougher read because he is a top 100 recruit, had the injuries/surgeries, schools backed off a bit, he came back and had a strong showing, recruiting is picking back up again, but there's likely still a concern about future injury

From what I read Tennessee and SMU are/have been pursuing the hardest, but then I read an article the other day that says no one has offered yet - it's strange, can't seem to get all the facts - he's a super talent, so my thought is majors will be there and he may desire that since he had that interest before - BUT, his coach has said his recruitment is open and HU did get him up for a visit so who knows - perhaps HU will be a prime backup choice if the majors are too scared by the injury potential - I have a feeling he may hold till the spring, play some more ball, prove he's 'back', and see what happens

That's why I'm still pulling for Buie - just in case - would really like to see HU land one of them.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is a portion of what I posted under "Midnight Madness" from the other night, but its also good for this thread.

So I'm watching the guys shoot around in the practice facility and at the next basket over is a high school looking aged kid wearing sweats. he's shooting 19 - 21 footers and there was a girl getting his rebounds for him. He appears to have a really nice smooth "J" so I start paying attention to him. He drops one, then another, then another, and I start counting as he's draining 20 footers. This is no joke, I counted 20 consecutive makes and then he just stopped and walked away. I had a feeling about the kid, and a few minutes later JM comes walking by so I asked him if the kid was Justin Foreman (the recent committ). With a big smile, coach said "Yep, thats him.......kid can really put up some points!"

Good things to look forward to!