MBB Game 02 - @ NC State - 11/17/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 02 - @ NC State - 11/17/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Post by cactus »

HofstraHockey wrote:What's Kone's status? I must have missed that.
no timetable yet for return from knee injury
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cactus, where did you hear that about Kone? JAM told me in an email that if you took away the first six minutes we win the game...he feels REALLY good about this game. he added Can't wait until Friday.
And by the way the team's flight was cancelled early this morning after a 4:30 am wake-up call...OUCH! Time for CHARTERS!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Classy move by NC State's coach on twitter.
Mark Gottfried ‏@Mark_Gottfried 48m48 minutes ago
Beat a good team last night in @HofstraMBB that can win the @CAASports but we have long way to go
https://twitter.com/Mark_Gottfried/stat ... 7147160576

Also, an NC State article claims that we didn't look a CAA team. Most of the articles I read/skimmed had good things to say about us. Could've been a different outcome if we didn't start out with the jitters and if Kone was playing so that we'd have at least one big guy that wasn't a freshmen. http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/17/ ... .html?rh=1

NYC Bucket's thoughts on the game: http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/11/thoug ... ofstra-64/
Polito

Post by Polito »

just a few more 3's go in and this is a different ball game - come out confident, it's different - healthy Kone could've been different - lots of if's, hate to play that game, but the bottom line is there is a lot to be encouraged about from this game despite the bad half and the L

let's run SBU out of the gym - I think HU matches up well with their star guys - biggest challenge will be in the post for the freshman going against Warney - if Kone is healthy, this game will not be close - if he's out, I think it's a battle early, but HU pulls away - looking for tough D, full court press all game, and shots falling - SBU is a solid team with some players, but I think HU's talent is just a notch above, from top to bottom on the roster

JW is no better than what NCState threw at them, so thinking the frosh could surprise and play well - if they contain him, and the guards play Purifoy tight, SBU doesn't have the firepower to overcome that - IF HU plays like game 1 this will be a statement game for local hoops, a warning shot to the others

Want a BIG win.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I was a little disappointed with that game last night. Hofstra typically comes out slow against power conference opponents but I thought we would see something different from this team. Being down 19-5 was not the start I was looking for. They basically trailed by double digits from wire to wire.

I will however give them credit for battling and keeping the score within 10-15 all game. In the past, with a start like that, they would lose this type of game by 30. Watching this game, I felt the talent was there to compete with NC State, but it was just a poor performance in the first half. It was only their 2nd game together, and they didn’t have Kone. They got killed on long rebounds and loose balls and he would have helped. Also, NC State did a great job on Bernardi. They knew where he was at all times, guarding him sometimes 30 feet from the basket. Need to find ways to get him open, I think in CAA play that won’t be a problem.

With 20 games under our belt at full strength and on a neutral court, I think we give them a better game and would have a shot to win. The talent is clearly there, which is comforting to see finally. They just need to play more games.

On to Stony Brook!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Dooku25 wrote:I was a little disappointed with that game last night. Hofstra typically comes out slow against power conference opponents but I thought we would see something different from this team. Being down 19-5 was not the start I was looking for. They basically trailed by double digits from wire to wire.

I will however give them credit for battling and keeping the score within 10-15 all game. In the past, with a start like that, they would lose this type of game by 30. Watching this game, I felt the talent was there to compete with NC State, but it was just a poor performance in the first half. It was only their 2nd game together, and they didn’t have Kone. They got killed on long rebounds and loose balls and he would have helped. Also, NC State did a great job on Bernardi. They knew where he was at all times, guarding him sometimes 30 feet from the basket. Need to find ways to get him open, I think in CAA play that won’t be a problem.

With 20 games under our belt at full strength and on a neutral court, I think we give them a better game and would have a shot to win. The talent is clearly there, which is comforting to see finally. They just need to play more games.

On to Stony Brook!
I completely agree. NC State may be the better team, I was very impressed with their size and athleticism, but we definitely gave it away in the first ten minutes. We could have buried NC State with a hot start, they shot the ball poorly throughout the whole game.

Bernardi needs to gain confidence driving to the hoop, or else teams will stick a defender on him all game around the perimeter. This guy is much more talented than Ziggy Sestokas, we can't utilize him like that.

Stony Brook is a very good team. Do not be misled by the close game they played against Columbia on Friday, Columbia is actually a good team this year. They're going to want to slow the pace down a bit, we just have to keep pushing and get a ton of looks beyond the arc.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Columbia is missing several players due to injury including, I believe their best player. SBU just got schooled by Georgia a middle of the pack SEC program
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID80 they lost 80-70. halftime they trailed 48-41. Not exactly a blowout. Still I expect we should win this one by 10 on our homecourt.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If Kone plays we win by 15 or more. Otherwise its Warney against our freshmen.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I hate making assumptions, but Moussa tweeted to pray for him, so I can't help but hope that's not about him being injured… we need him to play on Friday.
https://twitter.com/MoussaKone31_/statu ... 3969673216
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:HUSID80 they lost 80-70. halftime they trailed 48-41. Not exactly a blowout. Still I expect we should win this one by 10 on our homecourt.
Stu they were down 20 late in the game...then came garbage time
Polito

Post by Polito »

wow, I really hope it's nothing serious - sat behind the bench and it didn't seem that bad, he was moving on his own (standing and walking), laughing fired up having a great time...

he is def a key component to this yrs team - prayers out to him

and yes, I was hoping (even expecting) a better overall performance at NCState...however, let's be fair in our expectations for a new squad - I know there's a lot of talent, and I believe they can/will be great and I am still expecting post-season play; however, this is literally year 2 of rebuilding this program, and this is the 1st yr this roster is playing together - they weren't ready to take down an ACC team on the road game 2, but I expect that will change later - let's see how they do rest of non-conf, esp against A10 and AAC

as for SBU, thanks for making that correction HUSID, Columbia wasa very good team prior to the injuries - the 1 pt win was not impressive, but hey a win all the same - SBU is a good team, but they are far from great - put up a fight against Georgia but NC State was DEF a tougher game

Warney and Purifoy are talented players no doubt, and they will get their stats, just need to keep them contained - don't think they have a consistent 3rd option yet - I still think HU should run them out of the gym and put a beating on them, but that's not to say that will happen or that SBU is not good - they are - I just feel HU is a notch above, even with the freshman

If Kone plays HU should win big
If HU shoots well, they should win big
IF HU is able to shut down 1 of those 2, they should win big

If none of those things happen, it could be a tight game - SBU's roster is experienced and they won't be intimidated - but I'd really rather HU come home and make this game a STATEMENT - ROLL PRIDE!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito agree 100% with your assessment. Coach Pikell teams have a way of slowing down the game. If it is in the 60s that benefits SBU . In the 80s that benefits us.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:Cactus, where did you hear that about Kone?
heard it on NC state pre-game on WRHU

he said on twitter he'll be back soon.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our first two opponents played each other and host North Carolina State beat Jacksonville 79-43. There were simulations that predicted North Carolina State to win by only 18.7 and I correctly predicted North Carolina State to win by more than that. Jacksonville had more field goal attempts blocked (14) than made (13). North Carolina State's Beejay Anya had 10 blocked shots.
Polito

Post by Polito »

At this point I hope NC State becomes a top 10 team! :D