OT- How has the Corona Virus affected everyones lifstyle

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

OT- How has the Corona Virus affected everyones lifstyle

Post by stuball888 »

This Corona Virus has turned many peoples life upside down. Just reaching out to my friends on this board. Not to be a downer but this has set me back quite a bit. As many know I own a Personal training studio. On Monday night at 8pm the State shut us down. I had my business sold with a closing date in October. Well the deal just fell thru. It took me 12 years to build the business from one trainer to 12 trainers. If this mandate to keep all gyms closed last more than 3 months I will lose everything. I am not getting a break from my landlord. The state says I need to be in total distress before I can receive any help. The bank also said I need to be behind before they can help me with a small loan I took out. So actually life just suck right now for me.
cactus
Site Admin

Re: OT- How has the Corona Virus affected everyones lifstyle

Post by cactus »

Hi Stu, sorry to hear you're not getting any breaks from anywhere - have a friend who owns a gym in Babylon going through the same issues.
Hoping businesses like yours get some assistance and that this will die down before the summer and not come back strong in the fall/become a yearly recurring thing.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

This is a stunning turnaround for the economy. Less than two weeks ago all the markets were at an all time high and the employment numbers were rising every month. All gone in less than two weeks. Astonishing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:This Corona Virus has turned many peoples life upside down. Just reaching out to my friends on this board. Not to be a downer but this has set me back quite a bit. As many know I own a Personal training studio. On Monday night at 8pm the State shut us down. I had my business sold with a closing date in October. Well the deal just fell thru. It took me 12 years to build the business from one trainer to 12 trainers. If this mandate to keep all gyms closed last more than 3 months I will lose everything. I am not getting a break from my landlord. The state says I need to be in total distress before I can receive any help. The bank also said I need to be behind before they can help me with a small loan I took out. So actually life just suck right now for me.

Its a bad time for all and I can feel for you Stu having been self-employed for over 20 years and deciding to walk away from my business about 10 years ago. Its a gut wrenching situation when you have your blood in something you own and have built it up over a lot of years and to lose it all without any kind of dispensation. I'm sure you have put in a lot of hours and have had to make big sacrifices in your life for your business. Really sorry you're going thru this an Godspeed to right this sinking ship.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I just went grocery shopping tonight. First time I left home since late Friday afternoon. Before that, I felt somewhat like Tom Hanks in Castaway.

But as long as I and all I know are virus-free, no complaints at all here! That's the main thing. The rest is merely an inconvenience that's not a big deal compared to what so many others are going through. Be safe and in good health out there, all. We'll get past this. And I hope, with as minimal additional life lost by then. And hopefully, others, whose jobs have been put on hold, etc. will get back to normal with that soon.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey folks, just checking in on ya all - we're doing well at the Polito household, all are healthy, and doing our best w/the kiddos to not go stir crazy lol - doing our part though, staying smart and staying home - hope all are doing so... it's sucky, but every country on lockdown are proving it works. Let's stay safe, and knock this thing out so we can enjoy summer when it arrives.

Anyhoo, thoughts and prayers to you and your families, we'll persevere, and come out stronger on the other side!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Hey folks, just checking in on ya all - we're doing well at the Polito household, all are healthy, and doing our best w/the kiddos to not go stir crazy lol - doing our part though, staying smart and staying home - hope all are doing so... it's sucky, but every country on lockdown are proving it works. Let's stay safe, and knock this thing out so we can enjoy summer when it arrives.

Anyhoo, thoughts and prayers to you and your families, we'll persevere, and come out stronger on the other side!
Same to you and yours, Polito!

Since D.C., I've been home for the past 15 days, except for last Thursday night and tonight, to buy groceries.

This is always, but especially at a time like this - If you're healthy, in a safe environment at home, with enough food, you're very blessed.

But I'll let Udonnis Haslem's Player's Tribute article give some perspective on that:
https://twitter.com/ThisIsUD/status/1242838821470965761
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Hey folks, just checking in on ya all - we're doing well at the Polito household, all are healthy, and doing our best w/the kiddos to not go stir crazy lol - doing our part though, staying smart and staying home - hope all are doing so... it's sucky, but every country on lockdown are proving it works. Let's stay safe, and knock this thing out so we can enjoy summer when it arrives.

The problem is too many people are not staying home like we are. I've gone out twice in the last 15 days for necessities and both times you'd never know anything was going on. A friend of mine went for a drive at Jones beach last week when we had a nice day and the boardwalk was mobbed. Afraid to see what it's like in 2-3 weeks.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:

The problem is too many people are not staying home like we are. I've gone out twice in the last 15 days for necessities and both times you'd never know anything was going on. A friend of mine went for a drive at Jones beach last week when we had a nice day and the boardwalk was mobbed. Afraid to see what it's like in 2-3 weeks.
That's okay, and it's okay to be out in general if they're socially distancing enough. But if they're on the boardwalk or in the parks less than 6 feet from others, then yeah, that's potentially a big problem and they should instead just be home. The rate is the alarming thing right now. I figured we'd eventually have the most cases in the world, the way we were trending, but I did not expect it as early as today. I thought maybe in April. We're spiking and spiking fast. When we finally peak and start plateauing is very much in doubt at the moment, and that makes it very concerning for now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Since we can all use a little levity at this difficult time, this is pretty good on what a difference a year can make:

https://twitter.com/tinomoney16/status/ ... 6883218435
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A lot of people are not shaking hands due to the Corona Virus
Im not shaking hands because everyone is out of toilet paper!
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:A lot of people are not shaking hands due to the Corona Virus
Im not shaking hands because everyone is out of toilet paper!
:D

A good idea either way!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:This Corona Virus has turned many peoples life upside down. Just reaching out to my friends on this board. Not to be a downer but this has set me back quite a bit. As many know I own a Personal training studio. On Monday night at 8pm the State shut us down. I had my business sold with a closing date in October. Well the deal just fell thru. It took me 12 years to build the business from one trainer to 12 trainers. If this mandate to keep all gyms closed last more than 3 months I will lose everything. I am not getting a break from my landlord. The state says I need to be in total distress before I can receive any help. The bank also said I need to be behind before they can help me with a small loan I took out. So actually life just suck right now for me.
Am very sorry to hear about the gym Stu and I hope conditions improve enough where you can re-open soon. I have been staying with my dad in Massachusetts since March 15 while working remotely for my financial journalism job. I'm hoping if NY State can continue flattening curve perhaps I can return to Long Island in June.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

This is not about how it affects me, but I'm going to post what I just tweeted responding to Biden telling people not to drink bleach, which Trump suggested. I tweeted:

"In 2007, CBS made one season of the reality show Kid Nation where kids lived without adults, and it was stopped because of unsafe things like a kid who drank bleach. Kid Nation was filmed in a ghost town in New Mexico, and some places are ghost towns now."

It would be unique if they could find the kid to describe the problem with drinking bleach if he or she remembers and is willing to speak on TV via video from home. The ghost town was Bonanza City and becoming president or making a coronavirus vaccine are bonanzas.

I'm lucky with coronavirus compared to Long Island overall. I have a friend who says she knows five people who (none of whom I know) who died of coronavirus, and more people in the area have died since then. I have a distant relative who got it and is old enough that he could die easily, but he improved since his worst condition. He could still die, but at least he's survived so far.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

My distant relative died at age 87.

Coronavirus has been good for my parents and I financially on a day-by-day level. Stock losses hurt everybody with stocks including us. I'm not saying I'm happy there is coronavirus, but my parents and I are lucky, and none of our income is from helping people with coronavirus. I'm trying to start a unique project with somebody else. The woman I asked in October said yes, but never followed up. She had coronavirus ruin her last semester if theatre school in NYC, and acting has personal interactions between students that other classes don't have. In April I offered it to another woman, who said yes. This woman is in northern Alabama. You can find people online without knowing where they're from. By "find people," I'm not talking about a personal relationship. I have something from the project that can't be quantified that I want more than money.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:My distant relative died at age 87.

Coronavirus has been good for my parents and I financially on a day-by-day level. Stock losses hurt everybody with stocks including us. I'm not saying I'm happy there is coronavirus, but my parents and I are lucky, and none of our income is from helping people with coronavirus. I'm trying to start a unique project with somebody else. The woman I asked in October said yes, but never followed up. She had coronavirus ruin her last semester if theatre school in NYC, and acting has personal interactions between students that other classes don't have. In April I offered it to another woman, who said yes. This woman is in northern Alabama. You can find people online without knowing where they're from. By "find people," I'm not talking about a personal relationship. I have something from the project that can't be quantified that I want more than money.
Glad you and your parents are weathering the situation OK. Tough times and hopefully we can see you at some Hofstra games soon!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you. I rarely go to games.

Yesterday one of my mom's cousin's had his son become a dad. His wedding was the last wedding I've been to. My parents are friends with a couple whose son's wedding was postponed because of coronavirus. It was supposed to be March 15 (Selection Sunday). The place could be bad luck. My parents went to one previous wedding there. It made them miss my birthday, which I understood, but what I'm mad about is that the couple got divorced, and the bride said she shouldn't have gotten married. My mom is friends with the groom's mom.