CAA MBB Awards (2019-20)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: CAA MBB Awards (2019-20)

Post by Wags »

With Pemberton's Honor Roll in the final week of the regular season, here are Hofstra's final season tallies...

Player of the Week (5): Buie (4), Pemberton (1)
Honor Roll (8): Pemberton (4), Buie (3), Coburn (1)

Total (13): Buie (7), Pemberton (5), Coburn (1)
Wags

Post by Wags »

The CAA will announce the postseason awards on Fri 3/6 at noon.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:The CAA will announce the postseason awards on Fri 3/6 at noon.
In his last weekly interview Joe has said that Buie should win POY but he won't because one of the pre-season favorites will both NBA prospects but he said Buie deserves to win.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:The CAA will announce the postseason awards on Fri 3/6 at noon.
In his last weekly interview Joe has said that Buie should win POY but he won't because one of the pre-season favorites will both NBA prospects but he said Buie deserves to win.
Unfortunately sounds very plausible. Joe hinted at the same speaking with me about Buie a couple of weeks ago. But finishing on a team that won the league outright and that finished 9-1, and being a very good two-way player, should help his chances. That may not be enough though. Hope it is. Though Knight and others were very good, I think Buie was the most impactful player in the conference. And Hofstra does have a good history of winning these awards.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We will keep our fingers crossed but I’m sure Buie would take the championship in the CAA over any individual accolades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:We will keep our fingers crossed but I’m sure Buie would take the championship in the CAA over any individual accolades.
He definitely would, and that approach is what ironically makes him good enough to be in the POY award discussion in the first place.
Wags

Post by Wags »

No real surprises here - CAA First Team:

Nathan Knight
Desure Buie (!!!!)
Grant Riller
Jordan Roland
Nate Darling
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here are all of the awards.

https://caasports.com/news/2020/3/4/caa ... lades.aspx

Knight gets POY. That's fine. More motivation for Buie to cut the nets!

Buie - 1st team & All-D
Eli - 2nd team
Kante - 3rd team
Coburn - Scholar

Congrats to all, but especially want to point out Kante who went from being criticized for his slow start to ending the regular season on the Third All-CAA Team. A lesson for fans to be patient, especially with a guy who barely played in two years. I think he's earned the appreciation of Hofstra fans as much or maybe more than any player on the team from the beginning of the year until now. HU fans knew what to expect with Buie and Pemberton, but weren't sure about Kante. Now they're sure. So this is really nice to see him get this award today.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Well deserved for our guys, awesome job by Kante in conference play, glad he got the proper recognition.

Knight is excellent, and would have been my objective choice for POY. I don't think that takes anything away from Buie's amazing jump this season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Congrats to that crew, all made BIG strides forward this year - no real issue w/Knight, he's a pro at some level next yr, but boy Buie is the most important player on any team in the conf IMO - kid literally took this team to 1st place and filled the gap of an NBA guard. Big time. Now solidify the legacy and CUT NETS.

Super pumped for and about Kante, what a turnaround, and very excited about his future growth - has all the makings of a relative star and being one of the more athletic / nimble bigs with a handle and offensive game that HU has had in the middle in modern memory.

But let's correct this Wags, it's not about him being criticized, he earned that just like he earned the praise - your statement makes it sound like it wasn't founded. It's more like "...Kante who went from a disappointing start of underwhelming performance to developing into a very skilled impact player in the middle and ending the regular season on the Third All-CAA Team."

That's a bit more accurate 8-)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good choices and there will always be cases to be made for others but happy for Buie Eli and Kante. He’s an up and comer. Also happy Coburn was recognized now three victories for the whipped cream on the cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Congrats to that crew, all made BIG strides forward this year - no real issue w/Knight, he's a pro at some level next yr, but boy Buie is the most important player on any team in the conf IMO - kid literally took this team to 1st place and filled the gap of an NBA guard. Big time. Now solidify the legacy and CUT NETS.

Super pumped for and about Kante, what a turnaround, and very excited about his future growth - has all the makings of a relative star and being one of the more athletic / nimble bigs with a handle and offensive game that HU has had in the middle in modern memory.

But let's correct this Wags, it's not about him being criticized, he earned that just like he earned the praise - your statement makes it sound like it wasn't founded. It's more like "...Kante who went from a disappointing start of underwhelming performance to developing into a very skilled impact player in the middle and ending the regular season on the Third All-CAA Team."

He wasn't playing well early in the year, but I don't know if I agree that he earned the criticism when he had hardly played in college before that (2.4 mpg in 10 games at Georgia, then sitting out)? To expect him to be impactful from the jump was unrealistic - especially when we saw Taylor do pretty much the same thing with his progression last season. I think the criticism would've been warranted had he shown much before he got here and then didn't show it here. But he had hardly played before coming here, so I think he deserved a chance and some patience before he was criticized. But then, Joe was on him early for that, so sometimes early criticism is good. Maybe without that, he doesn't sniff the Third Team.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I though POY would be close, but it wasn't. There were 41 voters, which is 1 more than last season. Knight got 30, Buie got 7, and Riller got 4. Roland leads the CAA and is seventh in Division I in points per game. He's 0.1 behind sixth. To compare to other seasons, Jenkins was sixth in 2010-2011, JWF was fifth in 2017-2018, and they both won POY. I'm not saying Roland is as good an all-around player as others, but without checking every conference I would think it would be unusual for one of the top seven scorers in Division I to not get any conference POY votes. Coach and Rookie were also decided easily. Coach was 23 for Dane Fischer (picked seventh and finished second), 10 for Mihalich (picked and finished first), 5 for Mike Schrage (picked tenth and finished seventh), 2 for Pat Skerry (picked sixth and finished third), and 1 for Martin Inglesby (picked and finished fifth). Rookie was 28 for Hunter McIntosh, 12 for Tyson Walker, and 1 for Shykeim Phillips. Elon's first season in the CAA was 2014-2015, when Elijah Bryant led them in scoring and win ROY. McIntosh is Elon's second ROY in six seasons. Knight won Defensive POY with 17 votes, and Buie and Brevin Galloway tied for second with 8. The six players who got Sixth Man votes obviously didn't have us, and Towson's Nicolas Timberlake won. Timberlake played 9 games last season before being injured and given a redshirt, so he was eligible for the Rookie Team and got 4 points to be tied for tenth in that. Here's how we did in Team and Defensive Team voting, which is separate from individual awards:

Teams:
Buie: 524 (2nd to Knight)
Pemberton: 342 (7th)
Kante: 83 (14th)
Ray: 9 (23rd)
Coburn: 5 (26th)

Defensive Team:
Buie: 102 (2nd to Knight)
Kante: 3 (tied for 15th)
Pemberton: 2 (tied for 19th)

29 players got points for the Teams, and we were the only team to have five players get points. Delaware had four players get points, four teams get three players get points, and four teams had two players get points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dane Fischer wins Coach of the Year.

Mihalich was probably considered, but winning it last year and being picked 1st may have hurt his chances this year.

Fisher took a team that was picked 7th and finished 2nd as a rookie head coach, so you can understand why most voters went that way.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:Congrats to that crew, all made BIG strides forward this year - no real issue w/Knight, he's a pro at some level next yr, but boy Buie is the most important player on any team in the conf IMO - kid literally took this team to 1st place and filled the gap of an NBA guard. Big time. Now solidify the legacy and CUT NETS.

He wasn't playing well early in the year, but I don't know if I agree that he earned the criticism when he had hardly played in college before that (2.4 mpg in 10 games at Georgia, then sitting out)? To expect him to be impactful from the jump was unrealistic - especially when we saw Taylor do pretty much the same thing with his progression last season. I think the criticism would've been warranted had he shown much before he got here and then didn't show it here. But he had hardly played before coming here, so I think he deserved a chance and some patience before he was criticized. But then, Joe was on him early for that, so sometimes early criticism is good. Maybe without that, he doesn't sniff the Third Team.
As one who was critical of IKs early season play, let me weigh in also. His play was his play - early season struggles turned to noticeable improvement turned to solid successes. Those are the facts, and thats the way his season played out. I think the issue may have been more of "expectations". Without going back and checking all the preseason threads, I think there was quite a bit of hype and buildup of expectations for IK - nicknamed "beast". In hindsight, that was likely more the cause of the early season criticism (not that his play didn't deserve it) in that he was not provided the time to get back into game shape. I think most of us were willing to give him the OOC schedule to come up to speed - and that is how it worked out. In the end - he clearly was worth the wait (and I'm glad).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
Wags wrote:

As one who was critical of IKs early season play, let me weigh in also. His play was his play - early season struggles turned to noticeable improvement turned to solid successes. Those are the facts, and thats the way his season played out. I think the issue may have been more of "expectations". Without going back and checking all the preseason threads, I think there was quite a bit of hype and buildup of expectations for IK - nicknamed "beast".
That's the thing. I can name a lot of Hofstra players whose reputations preceded them, who were hyped up before any Hofstra fans saw them play at the college level. But we need to let these guys actually play first. I'm not sure if anyone realistically knew what Kante would be here until he actually played here for a little while, having played so little at Georgia and then adding another year sitting out to have a lot of rust to shake off.
Last edited by Wags on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Here are all of the awards.

https://caasports.com/news/2020/3/4/caa ... lades.aspx

Knight gets POY. That's fine. More motivation for Buie to cut the nets!

Buie - 1st team & All-D
Eli - 2nd team
Kante - 3rd team
Coburn - Scholar
Make that, 1st team, All-D and also the Leadership Award for Buie (the award is about more than leading the team on the floor, but that part of that award is why I thought he should be POY - nothing against Knight, but no CAA player led his team to greater heights than Buie this year, and to me, that's what an MVP or POY award should be about... not a big deal though - Knight isn't a bad choice either, and it's all subjective).
https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 8229224450
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Buie deserved Player of the Year. He meant the most to our team's success This year. That is the key. Knight may have had a better career but Buie had a better year.

I also think Joe should have been named coach of the year, with what he did after losing an NBA player and our two top bugs. We won the league and has the conference's signature win of the year vs. UCLA...Virginia bias is back in the CAA!
Last edited by HUSID74 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:Brie deserved Player of the Year. He meant the most to our team's success This year. That is the key. Knight may have had a better career but Buie had a better year.

I also think Joe should have been named coach of the year, with what he did after losing an NBA player and our two top bugs. We won the league and has the conference's signature win of the year vs. UCLA...Virginia bias is back in the CAA!
Totally agree. As you probably know, I am not the biggest proponent of Joe, but what he did with this team this year was special. UCLA win, 20+ wins again, and we won the conference regular season. Hopefully William and Mary's coach enjoys the coach of year, but we are taking down the nets come Tuesday night.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fair point wags on Kante…

either way, very inspired by his second-half play and very excited about his future here