Game 15 at Towson on 12/30/2019 at 2:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Game 15 at Towson on 12/30/2019 at 2:00 P.M.

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Yeah the sound and video eventually synched up.

45-43. We're playing hard, let's see if we have the legs to finish the comeback.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Nice 15-3 run to tie it up again, 43-43, after Towson scored the first four of the second half to open a 40-28 lead.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

58-50 Pride, 10 mins left, Buie is on fire.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Second-half explosion making up for that poor-shooting first half.

First half: 28 pts
Not yet halfway through the 2nd half: 30 pts

Buie up to 26 pts on just 10 shots. Extremely efficient today.

Can hear Joe on Buie in the postgame now... "He wouldn't let us lose."
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Caleb Burgess is a real force on defense. I would like to see a stat on caused TO's for him.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Buie knocks down his 6th 3 (in 7 attempts) to give him a career-high 31 pts (previous was 29 at UCLA last month).

69-61, HU at the U4 (3:16).

Really good sign that he can do what he's doing today and what he (and Ray) did at UCLA, and what Pemberton did in his last two road games before today. They're going to need those kinds of outbursts from those guys at some points over three games in D.C. Bodes well for the CAA tourney to see that they're all capable of lifting the team at different points playing away from Hempstead. At some point, it often comes down to that in that tourney (see JWF carrying an otherwise flat HU on his back with 40 of HU's 67 in regulation in last year's OT CAA semis win over Delaware... doesn't have to be to that extent, but may be necessary from someone for a game or two in D.C. along the lines of Eli's prior two road games and Buie today).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Buie finishes with a career-high 35 (9/14 fg, 6/7 from, 11/15 ft).

HU wins 75-67 after trailing 40-28.

11-4 and 2-0 is a pretty good start. They set themselves up well now to start 2020 and CAA play very well. If they can get a couple more wins this week (vs W&M and Elon) returning home, they jump out of the gate 4-0 and can possibly use that as a springboard to a very good CAA season.
Flying Dutchmen

Great win 75-67.

We are playing so hard defensively, best stretch we've had in the Mihalich Era. Buie carried us today, he was phenomenal.

The second games on the Thurs-Sat, or in this case Sat-Mon schedule are always tough, especially on the road. I thought Towson played hard, but started running out of gas and got sloppy in the last 10 minutes, and we won on execution and hustle. Very proud of this W, what a jump from that first game against San Jose St.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Although I don't like the half to half inconsistency (last two games), you have give the guys credit for coming back. They are playing with confidence when they are down and showing no sense of panic.

DB was just ridiculous today. Great hustle, athleticism and grit from TC - he really adds a lot to the mix. Once again, nice minutes from CB - great to see.

Looked to me like EP was banged up and intentionally kept out of the fray.

Nice comeback W
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Second strong second half comeback. Buie unbelievable!
Like to see TWO halves of basketball vs W&M on Thursday.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: We are playing so hard defensively, best stretch we've had in the Mihalich Era.
This, in particular, is a great sign. But they have to keep that up at that end of the floor.
Flying Dutchmen

Cards wrote:Looked to me like EP was banged up and intentionally kept out of the fray.
I was thinking the same thing. For those that didn't see the feed, Pemberton took a knee to the head on a loose ball in the first half, he seemed to tweak his left wrist on the play as well. He played the rest of the game so I think he's ok, but Burgess was playing well, so he didn't need to be forced into the game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Now that Burgess is showing signs of life and getting minutes no sign of Silverio in this game or Hughes. Lets give some Kudos also to Trueheart even though he shot poorly he grabbed 6 boards in only 11 minutes of play!! He's contributing a big plus for us.
Flying Dutchmen

triplec2195 wrote:Now that Burgess is showing signs of life and getting minutes no sign of Silverio in this game or Hughes. Lets give some Kudos also to Trueheart even though he shot poorly he grabbed 6 boards in only 11 minutes of play!! He's contributing a big plus for us.
I think Silverio was on the bench at least, hope to see him back on the court soon. I agree on ST, thought he looked good in there, played tough inside. Just missed his shots, but they were pretty good looks at least, in the rhythm of the offense.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Now that Burgess is showing signs of life and getting minutes no sign of Silverio in this game or Hughes. Lets give some Kudos also to Trueheart even though he shot poorly he grabbed 6 boards in only 11 minutes of play!! He's contributing a big plus for us.
I think Silverio was on the bench at least, hope to see him back on the court soon. I agree on ST, thought he looked good in there, played tough inside. Just missed his shots, but they were pretty good looks at least, in the rhythm of the offense.
Silverio was on the bench but I think the coaching staff has to be disappointed with his shooting percentages and maybe things that are happening in his family life are just overwhelming him. A shame so far. I wish we could get some consistent scoring from Trueheart but if he plays D and grabs rebounds he's filling a void on this team. He's shooting 18% from 3 this year!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Buie is straight stud - one of the best true points of all time at HU

Burgess showing why I was so pumped for his signing, epitome of a dog - love his ability, just scratching the surface

Huge point from FD on the team D we are seeing, just fantastic to see after yrs of crap - maybe the light has finally gone on for the staff in getting their team to play it effectively - nothing not to love about the intensity and impact of what we are seeing, kudos to staff and players - this wins championships

Love the fight and adjustments in the comebacks - great team character

BUT this is not a sustainable situation every game, need a bit more positive consistency - but this 2-0 start helps tremendously, takes off some pressure so they can work on that and settle in more

Really hoping to get to the game Thursday, team is playing very hard, coming into their own, and deserve great support!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Now that Burgess is showing signs of life and getting minutes no sign of Silverio in this game or Hughes. Lets give some Kudos also to Trueheart even though he shot poorly he grabbed 6 boards in only 11 minutes of play!! He's contributing a big plus for us.
Hughes leads us in blocked shots per game, but we're not going to use Kante, Schutte, and Hughes in every game. If the first two are available and not in foul trouble, Hughes may not play much. The bigger deal is that we start four guards and only used one guard off the bench, albeit Trueheart is a forward who can replace guards. If your sixth and worse guards can't combine for 10 minutes, it's bad. The bench provides 12.3 percent of our points in 20.1 percent of our minutes. I went by who the regular starters are, so I counted Ray's bench game to the starters and Silverio's start to the bench. If we end up with an unstable lineup, bench contributions would have to come from adding the box scores.

Buie now leads us at 17.7 points, with Pemberton second with 16.7. Pemberton needs 40 points to tie Richardson for tenth in points, so he's no longer on pace to do that on Saturday. He's on pace to do that at Northeastern on Thursday January 9. That week the travel partners game is on Thursday, and we don't play Saturday January 11. The January 9 game will be part of a doubleheader on CBS Sports Network with Drexel at Towson at 6:00 P.M. and us at 8:00 P.M. Delaware at James Madison will be on SNY (and MASN) at 7:00 P.M., making three CAA games on TV.

Edit: Buie is 42 points away from 1,000, so he could reach 1,000 in the same game Pemberton enters the Top 10.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Good sign...we were able to win by 8 points on the road and Pembo only had 4 points...good overall team effort ...so far like the way JAM has been using his bench
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Now that Burgess is showing signs of life and getting minutes no sign of Silverio in this game or Hughes. Lets give some Kudos also to Trueheart even though he shot poorly he grabbed 6 boards in only 11 minutes of play!! He's contributing a big plus for us.
Hughes leads us in blocked shots per game, but we're not going to use Kante, Schutte, and Hughes in every game. If the first two are available and not in foul trouble, Hughes may not play much. The bigger deal is that we start four guards and only used one guard off the bench, albeit Trueheart is a forward who can replace guards. If your sixth and worse guards can't combine for 10 minutes, it's bad. The bench provides 12.3 percent of our points in 20.1 percent of our minutes. I went by who the regular starters are, so I counted Ray's bench game to the starters and Silverio's start to the bench. If we end up with an unstable lineup, bench contributions would have to come from adding the box scores.

Buie now leads us at 17.7 points, with Pemberton second with 16.7. Pemberton needs 40 points to tie Richardson for tenth in points, so he's no longer on pace to do that on Saturday. He's on pace to do that at Northeastern on Thursday January 9. That week the travel partners game is on Thursday, and we don't play Saturday January 11. The January 9 game will be part of a doubleheader on CBS Sports Network with Drexel at Towson at 6:00 P.M. and us at 8:00 P.M. Delaware at James Madison will be on SNY (and MASN) at 7:00 P.M., making three CAA games on TV.

Edit: Buie is 42 points away from 1,000, so he could reach 1,000 in the same game Pemberton enters the Top 10.
We may not use Kante, Schutte and Hughes in every game true but I'm not sold that Schutte automatically comes in for Kante. If my memory serves me well I believe Hughes came in before Schutte in a few games. This is just from memory not looking at anything concrete. We will get more scoring from Schutte then we will from Hughes. Now that Trueheart is out of the doghouse obviously this means less minutes for K,S, &H. I don't believe that Trueheart ever comes in to replace a guard per- se and I think in yesterdays game he may have come in for Kante. He shoots 18% from 3 and 28% from 2 and really doesn't put the ball on the floor very well. He used to score more but took more shots to do it. He has although filled a void on D due to his size and length making players hit tougher shots and gets us rebounds. I believe this is his role now on this team and is a fifth body giving someone a breather.

I'm not sure what u mean by using only one guard off the bench? It certainly appears that Caleb has been getting more minutes(deservedly) but based on the situation at hand we know we're going to see Silverio and he's going to contribute at some point.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Truehart typically comes in for Coburn...nice to see Burgess get some PT, but it would help greatly if Silverio could at least come close to what Ray did for us last year; come off the bench and give the offense a quick boost.