Around the CAA Talk

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
Mikey77

Re: Around the CAA Talk

Post by Mikey77 »

Need to add Rokas G to the mix from Lithuania.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote:Need to add Rokas G to the mix from Lithuania.
Aurimas Kieza from there, too (not great, but was pretty good here).

This should really be its own thread. We've completely hijacked the talk about what other CAA teams are doing this season.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Pride97 wrote:Juan'ya Green was Philly

Ameen and Juan’ya were great but should we put guys who only played 2 years here? Not so sure. Rokus was a great rebounder, was he an all around great player? Not so sure.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pemberton: Middletown, CT
Ray: Hampton, VA (near former CAA team Old Dominion)
Mike Moore: New Haven, CT (two seasons here including leading the CAA in scoring as a senior in 2011-2012)
Zeke Upshaw: Chicago, IL (one season here including leading the CAA in scoring in 2013-2014)

Delaware's slump continued as they had 20 at halftime in a 61-55 loss at Drexel. Delaware (1-2) and Towson (0-3) can't be happy with their CAA records. If we win, Northeastern wins hosting W&M, and Charleston wins hosting JMU; Northeastern and Charleston will be tied for first at 4-0, we will be third at 3-1, W&M and Drexel will be tied for fourth at 2-1, Delaware will be sixth at 1-2, JMU and the winner of Towson at UNCW will be tied for seventh at 1-3, and Elon (0-3) and the loser of Towson at UNCW (0-4) will be tied for last.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I just googled some former HU players. Steve Nisenson , from the early 1960's college division NCAAT teams, was from Livingston N.J. Nisenson had 2222 points in three years with no 3 pointers. John Irving, from the mid 1970's NCAAT teams, went to high school in Delaware. Irving averaged a double-double for his three years at HU and led the NCAA in rebounding one season.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

I had Irving and Nissenson in mind also. Irving was a rugged 6 9 transfer from Arizona. It seems very unlikely my recollection on this is correct but I thought he led the nation in rebounding as a frosh at AU. I met Steve Nissenson at the HC game in Boca. Nice guy, still looks in shape. I saw him play a number of times; a great shooter with range. He went 16 for 18 from the free throw line well in to the season and dropped his percentage on one occasion.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

EvanJ wrote:Pemberton: Middletown, CT
Ray: Hampton, VA (near former CAA team Old Dominion)
Mike Moore: New Haven, CT (two seasons here including leading the CAA in scoring as a senior in 2011-2012)
Zeke Upshaw: Chicago, IL (one season here including leading the CAA in scoring in 2013-2014)
Rest in peace Zeke, but I can’t put guys up here who only played a year here. I think Eli will go down as one of the best non NYers in recent Hof history though, especially if he gets close to 2,000 points. Moore was a great scorer, didn’t play much defense though. Love Jalen’s game but he hasn’t even been a starter for a full year yet.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

fiftiespride wrote: Irving was a rugged 6 9 transfer from Arizona. It seems very unlikely my recollection on this is correct but I thought he led the nation in rebounding as a frosh at AU.
The NCAA Record Book says the only time Irving led in rebounds per game was for us in 1974-1975.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Sat 1/11:

W&M continues to impress. Today, they stamp themselves as the early team to beat. They are now the CAA's last undefeated team in league play (5-0) with a 67-56 home win over Charleston (5-1), which loses its first CAA game.

Towson (3-3) continues to beat up on everyone else despite being unable to beat some of the best. Delaware (2-3) showing it's merely a pretender in CAA play after strong OOC play. Tigers win 84-68 at home.

Drexel goes to 3-2 with a 78-71 road win at JMU, which as expected, is struggling badly at 1-5.

And, Elon (1-4) gets its first CAA win, making 14 3s (Zac Ervin had half of those) to storm past UNCW (0-6) with a big second half at home, 80-63. No reason why HU shouldn't get a W at UNCW next week to make it a successful three-game road stint and a good start to CAA play overall, even if they lose at Charleston next Sat. As always in the CAA, they can take nothing for granted and have to come to play or they could lose at UNCW, but if HU plays its game, the Seahawks are bad and HU should win if they simply take care of business.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:Sat 1/11:

W&M continues to impress. Today, they stamp themselves as the early team to beat. They are now the CAA's last undefeated team in league play (5-0) with a 67-56 home win over Charleston (5-1), which loses its first CAA game.

Towson (3-3) continues to beat up on everyone else despite being unable to beat some of the best. Delaware (2-3) showing it's merely a pretender in CAA play after strong OOC play. Tigers win 84-68 at home.

Drexel goes to 3-2 with a 78-71 road win at JMU, which as expected, is struggling badly at 1-5.

And, Elon (1-4) gets its first CAA win, making 14 3s (Zac Ervin had half of those) to storm past UNCW (0-6) with a big second half at home, 80-63. No reason why HU shouldn't get a W at UNCW next week to make it a successful three-game road stint and a good start to CAA play overall, even if they lose at Charleston next Sat. As always in the CAA, they can take nothing for granted and have to come to play or they could lose at UNCW, but if HU plays its game, the Seahawks are bad and HU should win if they simply take care of business.

Tip your hat to W&M - I know it is hard - but a roster with 8 underclassmen (4 Freshman and 4 sophomores); coaching changes; last season players exitdus. They are off to a good start. However, they certainly have a tough 1-2 punch with Knigh and Van Vilet
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The key to this team is the twin powers but like has been said they have a lot of good players who know their rolls and execute them. Knight is probably the best player in this league and if u let him in the paint he's almost automatic. They have 3 point shooters they play D they're quite the handful. We'll see who beats them first if in fact they lose!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: a roster with 8 underclassmen (4 Freshman and 4 sophomores)
It's not like they're entirely young. Knight, transfer Van Vliet, and transfer point guard Bryce Barnes are all seniors. Van Vliet is in his third season excluding his redshirt transfer season, so I checked if he could be listed as a senior for two seasons like Buie last season and this season. William & Mary says he "sat out the season after the NCAA ruled him ineligible for not enrolling in college within a year of high school graduation," so this is his third and final athletic season. He transferred from Wisconsin. Barnes transferred from Milwaukee and did not have to sit out a season. Those three combine for 57.8 percent of their points, 64.2 percent of their rebounds excluding team rebounds, 48.2 percent of their assists, 59.8 percent of their steals, and 62.5 percent of their blocks.

Justin Pierce transferred to UNC, who's 8-8 and 1-4 in the ACC. Before the season, I wonder if you could have gotten 10,000-to-1 or higher odds on W&M making the NCAA Tournament but not UNC.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
daHUPride wrote: a roster with 8 underclassmen (4 Freshman and 4 sophomores)
It's not like they're entirely young. Knight, transfer Van Vliet, and transfer point guard Bryce Barnes are all seniors. Van Vliet is in his third season excluding his redshirt transfer season, so I checked if he could be listed as a senior for two seasons like Buie last season and this season. William & Mary says he "sat out the season after the NCAA ruled him ineligible for not enrolling in college within a year of high school graduation," so this is his third and final athletic season. He transferred from Wisconsin. Barnes transferred from Milwaukee and did not have to sit out a season. Those three combine for 57.8 percent of their points, 64.2 percent of their rebounds excluding team rebounds, 48.2 percent of their assists, 59.8 percent of their steals, and 62.5 percent of their blocks.

Justin Pierce transferred to UNC, who's 8-8 and 1-4 in the ACC. Before the season, I wonder if you could have gotten 10,000-to-1 or higher odds on W&M making the NCAA Tournament but not UNC.
Again the big guys are really the essence of this team but they have all the parts to win this take a look at their numbers. They're 27th in the country in FG%, 54TH IN 3 POINT %, 39TH IN POINTS SCORED and 112th in rebounding. They're not really weak in any aspect of the game but if Knight has an off night or both him an Vliet they can lose. As far as Pierce transferring maybe he made a big mistake or maybe he's happy adding N.C. to his college resume. He's playing 19 minutes a game getting 5.7 pts. and 4.5 rebounds. He's definitely making a contribution but was averaging 14.9 pts. last year and 8.9 rebounds playing 34 minutes a game. Right or wrong choice?
Wags

Post by Wags »

One game before Hofstra visits UNCW, C.B. McGrath is done as the Seahawks' head coach:
https://uncwsports.com/news/2020/1/13/s ... tball.aspx

Hope this doesn't give UNCW any extra motivation playing for a new interim coach on Thursday night.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

According to Wikipedia, UNCW didn't start Men's Basketball until 1976. Their only two coaching changes during seasons were after losing at Hofstra on January 27, 2010 and before hosting Hofstra in 3 days.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wow, very rare move. May change game dynamics. Why couldn't they wait until after our game?
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:One game before Hofstra visits UNCW, C.B. McGrath is done as the Seahawks' head coach:
https://uncwsports.com/news/2020/1/13/s ... tball.aspx

Hope this doesn't give UNCW any extra motivation playing for a new interim coach on Thursday night.

You knew he was a dead man walking, only a matter of time before they pulled the plug. I don’t care how much motivation UNCW has or how much we’ve struggled against them over the years Hofstra has to win this game. UNCW is 2-14 against D1 competition and would likely be 0-16 if Toews who is now gone wasn’t with them all year. Even a mediocre team has to bury them. With that being said Hofstra is back in the mid major top 25 at #24, which is always nice to see.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

You would think that we would be big favorites in this game which when u look at our loss in the first game of the season to San Jose State that doesn't mean much. We are rested and should be motivated to win this game(easily) but hopefully we don't get caught up looking ahead to COC on Saturday. UNCW coming off a loss to Elon by 17 points. Interesting how Stony Brook would be ranked ahead of us at 23 I guess because they beat Vermont recently!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our win against SBU was a home win Their victory vs Vermont was a road win
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Our win against SBU was a home win Their victory vs Vermont was a road win
We're still better than they are....they've been feasting on the likes of Maine and New Hampshire, some of the weakest D1 teams in the country.