2020 Men's Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: 2020 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Polito »

Funny, I don't see Amplo staying at Navy :) trust me, he's not staying there, he's a coach on the rise and made a strategic move back east. Couple of years there and he'll move for the right fit and package. HU is in the dump right now, but I'll still put this program and the CAA well above Navy and the Pat league, with much less recruiting challenges than an armed service.

When ST is done, make Amplo a real offer to come home and lead a former top 15 program with some real money that HU should have by streamlining this dept from unnecessary sports.

And I hear ya on ST - it's the craziest thing - all in the know sing his praises, but somethings not right here. He either can't coach, can't recruit, or can't build a proper staff. I totally get the landscape has changed nationally, but HU isn't taking care of biz in the conf of it's peers. That's ridiculous for this program. There is no excuse for this program to not be at the top of the CAA more often than not.

And he's the head dog so the blame and accountability goes there. And Cole needs to fix it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Ryan Tierney named HM AA by the lax media:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/56234
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good story today in Newsday regarding Ryan's dilemma bout returning for another year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

RT announced in a YT video he will be returning for his 5th year.

Kid has loyalty, that's for darn sure. Shame the odds are he'll go 0-fer NCAAT (which I called from the get-go - gave him a lot of credit for committing to play for his dad with that likelihood). Though who knows, perhaps this is the boost the program needs to finally correct the wrongs...
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Any word as to whether any other seniors are coming back. Forte comes to mind as do the two defensemen Wenz and Altman.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Mickey77, Wenz, Altman, and Tierney should return. I believe Forte was a redshirt jr this season. According to Fanlax, Stopack(A) and Kinnard(M) are in the NCAA Transfer Portal. There is an updated list of the many 2020 Lax transfers on the transfer thread on the D1 forum.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Coach Tierney announced that Altman and Wenz are both returning.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Thank you for the update. We'll Stopack - the kid showed potential. Kinnard got virtually no PT this year, but played well in limited time last year. Best of luck to both of them.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Oops. "we'll Miss Stopak." Fixing my prior post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sounds like a strong seasoned core returning. And zippo reasons to not win. Can ST find a way...
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Well, here's a real surprise: Johns Hopkins and its lacrosse head coach(former LI high school player) Dave Pietramala have just parted ways after many seasons. The lax boards are already speculating on possible replacements with a few JHU alumni mentioned, including the Albany, Towson, and Hofstra's coaches listed.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Can we do a 1-1 swap?!

Nah, I want HU to go young up and coming rising star. 8-)

But this is intriguing for sure... a true former national power, would likely be very easy for a good coach to return them to prominence in very short order. Wonder what happened here, anything sinister? And I wonder what they pay?

Curious about lax budget in general, like what does HU have available for lax coaching staff?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to Fanlax, Senior Eric Wenz is listed in the transfer portal along with Whit Stopak and Ryan Kinnard.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Well that sucks.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Mikey77, There are about 60 names on the transfer list from Division 1, with many additions from Divisions 2 and 3. There will probably be a few more when the decisions about if, and when, the various colleges reopen their campuses. We know of one coaching change in Division 1, maybe there will be more coming. How many incoming freshmen, transfers , and present team members decide to not attend a computer based college if that is still the case in the fall? How many students transfer to be located closer to their families, or even delay their college enrollment to a more certain and safe time? Why spend $30,000, or more, on a virtual private college, when a school like Nassau Community on a computer would be so much less expensive? In my opinion, too much to be sorted out in the next uncertain weeks.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Tough blow losing Whit and Eric, who has blossomed into one of the best defensive players in the CAA.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Just because players enter the transfer portal doesn't mean they will transfer.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Well stated Shadow. The world, including collegiate lax, will be a different place next lax season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The last time the college lax landscape shifted HU got themselves left light years behind, and still hasn't been able to recover. Let's hope some leadership actually learned from this and is working to help mitigate against the same this time around - granted very diff scenarios, but once again HU needs a plan.

I'm not extremely concerned about college lax just yet though, it's a spring sport, and they don't play again until next Feb. I think this fall at least having sport practice will be ok'd. But if that is blocked then yes some very interesting situations could be in play as Shadow noted. And frankly, kids coming home should actually BENEFIT HU - again an area where I'd like to see HU get ahead of the curve and have a strategy to attract / encourage / connect with kids looking to do so.

The biggest thing w/LI talent is it's exodus, well if many look to come home I fully expect to see HU grab them (and before SBU does).

The Hopkins vacancy could def cause some ripple depending on who they go for...
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to FanLax, Defenseman Eric Wenz has transferred to Ohio State.