What a shame

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: What a shame

Post by Polito »

First, I said some time ago that the sport HU should add is Hockey 8-) if they actually did it right and cared about it, would be an instant success IMO. Still very few programs that really offer it, great location for the sport / recruiting region, big hockey sports fans, and really zero college competition nearby.

I love me some college football, really do - I enjoyed the HU program, went to every game plus some aways - but I gotta be honest, I really don't have much interest in HU re-starting at that same level - it's go big or leave it out. There's absolutely ZERO interest in FCS around here, nor should there be - you guys can pump SBU all you want, but outside of a 10 mile radius not a sole gives a rip about them, or has any knowledge of their existence. They will level off and stay at the same numbers yr after yr, trust me, there is a very low peak - and they'll only have that many because their constituents are so far out there they have literally nothing else to do without trekking to the city for 2 hours. Only reason the Ducks have a fanbase - just easier, closer, and cheaper than the Yanks/Mets. But HU isn't Suffolk, it's Nassau where people have more $ and live much closer to every activity under the sun.

This isn't the south or midwest, no one in the tri-state cares about watching HU play Elon or Cal Poly or Jacksonville St or some crap like that lol. No one. Not even me. Hard enough time getting folks up for the crappy home schedules the hoops team throws together. Yep, I love the game and I love tailgating and I am HU for life, but I need to also spend my time and money wisely - and HU battling some other no name for a bag of nothing just isn't of any value. It was exciting when it was part of HU's rise from D3 - it really lost it's luster after that because the U displayed ZERO vision for the program.

The money really isn't a concern guys, it really isn't, not even for HU - and it's not like HU went out and built 4 mil in new dorms (again something they should've done a LONG time ago, esp specifically for athletes - a recruiting must that HU will eventually have to grow up to) - didn't even build a new true med building, just formed a partnership and re-purposed an old Jets facility - what exactly are we getting for the 4 extra mil? No more debates either. I don't see it. HU is the same rank as it's always been, unless someone can show me some astronomical rep change?

Now I DO agree that 4 mil for HU to play in front of 4k to watch Mcneese St or Sac St or whoever is pretty pointless - HU isn't winning any nat championship because they don't have the commitment too. Nowhere close. So yeah, I can see the need to prove the worth of it at that level. Heck I liked HU much better as an Indy, at least played some cool programs with a diff feel every year. This CAA nonsense is useless for HU as we've all come to realize.

IF HU ever has the balls and commitment to go all in and produce an FBS G5 level program (i.e UB, Marshall) , which they should've done about a decade ago, I'd be ALL IN. But that's just me, still wouldn't be tremendous interest obviously, but certainly better than before - it's also highly unlikely to ever happen.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: There's absolutely ZERO interest in FCS around here, nor should there be - you guys can pump SBU all you want, but outside of a 10 mile radius not a sole gives a rip about them, or has any knowledge of their existence.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/co ... ket-sales/ has the three teams with the highest percent of tickets in each county. Notre Dame is the most popular team in the country and has the highest percent in Nassau, Suffolk, all five boroughs, Westchester, and Rockland. The nearest counties whose top team is in the area are Hudson, Union, and Middlesex, NJ for Rutgers; and Putnam and Dutchess for Army. The teams are top at least one of New York's 62 counties are Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State, Syracuse, Army, Alabama, and Georgia. Those teams are not in order. 79.5 percent of the tickets bought in Allegany were for Alabama, which had 46,894 people in a 2017 estimate from Wikipedia. Nassau has about 29 times that many people.

If you choose Stony Brook, it says they don't have more than 0.3 percent in any county.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I agree with most of what you said, although you are wrong about the medical school as Hofstra did build a brand new building next to former Jets headquarters that opened in 2015 outlined in this story https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... -1.9995200
Polito wrote:First, I said some time ago that the sport HU should add is Hockey 8-) if they actually did it right and cared about it, would be an instant success IMO. Still very few programs that really offer it, great location for the sport / recruiting region, big hockey sports fans, and really zero college competition nearby.

I love me some college football, really do - I enjoyed the HU program, went to every game plus some aways - but I gotta be honest, I really don't have much interest in HU re-starting at that same level - it's go big or leave it out. There's absolutely ZERO interest in FCS around here, nor should there be - you guys can pump SBU all you want, but outside of a 10 mile radius not a sole gives a rip about them, or has any knowledge of their existence. They will level off and stay at the same numbers yr after yr, trust me, there is a very low peak - and they'll only have that many because their constituents are so far out there they have literally nothing else to do without trekking to the city for 2 hours. Only reason the Ducks have a fanbase - just easier, closer, and cheaper than the Yanks/Mets. But HU isn't Suffolk, it's Nassau where people have more $ and live much closer to every activity under the sun.

This isn't the south or midwest, no one in the tri-state cares about watching HU play Elon or Cal Poly or Jacksonville St or some crap like that lol. No one. Not even me. Hard enough time getting folks up for the crappy home schedules the hoops team throws together. Yep, I love the game and I love tailgating and I am HU for life, but I need to also spend my time and money wisely - and HU battling some other no name for a bag of nothing just isn't of any value. It was exciting when it was part of HU's rise from D3 - it really lost it's luster after that because the U displayed ZERO vision for the program.

The money really isn't a concern guys, it really isn't, not even for HU - and it's not like HU went out and built 4 mil in new dorms (again something they should've done a LONG time ago, esp specifically for athletes - a recruiting must that HU will eventually have to grow up to) - didn't even build a new true med building, just formed a partnership and re-purposed an old Jets facility - what exactly are we getting for the 4 extra mil? No more debates either. I don't see it. HU is the same rank as it's always been, unless someone can show me some astronomical rep change?

Now I DO agree that 4 mil for HU to play in front of 4k to watch Mcneese St or Sac St or whoever is pretty pointless - HU isn't winning any nat championship because they don't have the commitment too. Nowhere close. So yeah, I can see the need to prove the worth of it at that level. Heck I liked HU much better as an Indy, at least played some cool programs with a diff feel every year. This CAA nonsense is useless for HU as we've all come to realize.

IF HU ever has the balls and commitment to go all in and produce an FBS G5 level program (i.e UB, Marshall) , which they should've done about a decade ago, I'd be ALL IN. But that's just me, still wouldn't be tremendous interest obviously, but certainly better than before - it's also highly unlikely to ever happen.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah, fair point HP1... but certainly not an impressive one. Barely noticeable. Should've been a statement maker considering the stink they made about football, money, and this new high stakes endeavor.

But I have no issue at all with the med school, I'm a fan of the move. I just expected them to do a LOT more, and build a mini med campus with that extra space key strategic direction.

Alas, in addition to Hoops and Lax being the drivers, I want two things added eventually:

First, a top flight D1 Hockey program. Not a doubt in my mind this would be an instant huge success here.
Second, a G5 football program on the heels of the above profit :D

Get rid of whatever else isn't needed (sorry folks, this isn't Penn St) - keep us legal, but this is a business, and it's way past time to streamline and focus the dept on sports that impact the brand and bottom line.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito would love to have both football and hockey Only one problem Title IX
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Get rid of whatever else isn't needed (sorry folks, this isn't Penn St) - keep us legal, but this is a business, and it's way past time to streamline and focus the dept on sports that impact the brand and bottom line.
Most sports don't make much money whether the school is in a top conference or not, and if every school cut sports that lost money, there would be a lot fewer athletic scholarships. The ACC, SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 have the advantage of having a TV network to show sports such as SEC Gymnastics, albeit I think a lot of games/competitions on conference networks would get hardly any viewers. You can't expect Hofstra to do something without thinking about what other schools would do in Hofstra's situation and what the NCAA would be like if every school made that change.
stuball888 wrote: Polito would love to have both football and hockey Only one problem Title IX
If we added Hockey for both genders and added Football, we'd have ten for each gender. I'm not saying Women's Hockey would make much money, but Northeastern plays it.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

I have been lobbying on this board for Hofstra to add men's hockey since the demise of the football program. I'm presuming it must cost a fraction of what football costs. No school is better suited for it with two hockey rinks a stone's through away, i.e., Twin Rinks on Merrick Avenue and the Coliseum across the street, not to mention the new Belmont Arena as well. There is plenty of local competition and top-notch competition within driving distance. The problem is that it will never happen because the present administration does not appreciate what athletic programs can do for a university. I applaud the medical school and the new DeMatties school of engineering, but I am unclear where this administration or even the next one want to to take the athletic department. I guess that's a question for Cole but judging by the responses from the last two AD's, mostly the one that went to Brown, I'm not confident of getting any clarity or even a straight answer. Just the way I see it at the moment.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Most every school won't add a high cost program without some sort of financial backing to get it off the ground. The NHL, however, is willing to invest, and pay for the research.

That being said, if the Nassau Coliseum is going to stay after the Islanders leave, they will be desperate for some sort of anything to fill the schedule, and box lacrosse and G League basketball isn't nearly enough. LIU has already had their women's team play there, so you know they'll basically give the time away.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Back in 2002 they looked into it and the cost was 1.8 million. Today because of title IX impossible. To field both mens ands women's team it would cost over 4 million.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Fair enough Stu - but how do schools like Quinnipiac, Clarkson, Denver, RIT, and even Union College carry hockey and other sports? They are smaller than Hofstra (not sure about Denver) with smaller endowments I suspect. How do other schools invest in athletics with football, hockey and more and HU doesn't?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Yes and no. They would need to add women's sports, yes. But it doesn't need to be hockey. Add swimming and water polo, both sports that facilities already exist on campus for. And ditch men's golf and tennis, two sports that use off-campus facilities and nobody would know if they were gone.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That is a way AJ but I dont see Rabinowitz doing this Its all about he benjamins
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Polito wrote:Ah, fair point HP1... but certainly not an impressive one. Barely noticeable. Should've been a statement maker considering the stink they made about football, money, and this new high stakes endeavor.

But I have no issue at all with the med school, I'm a fan of the move. I just expected them to do a LOT more, and build a mini med campus with that extra space key strategic direction.
Here's another way the money is being spent: and a $1.6 million price tag to boot https://www.newsday.com/long-island/edu ... IM-YAQp9Zo
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Cybersecurity is very important field this day and age so very glad to see Hofstra take initiative for a program like this. Is also great to see that Hofstra will be doing some polls of suburban voters for the 2020 election through the Peter S. Kalikow Center for the Study of the American Presidency, which will hopefully get some national play https://news.hofstra.edu/2019/11/14/kal ... 0/?twitter
HofstraHockey wrote:
Polito wrote:Ah, fair point HP1... but certainly not an impressive one. Barely noticeable. Should've been a statement maker considering the stink they made about football, money, and this new high stakes endeavor.

Here's another way the money is being spent: and a $1.6 million price tag to boot https://www.newsday.com/long-island/edu ... IM-YAQp9Zo
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Mikey77 wrote:Fair enough Stu - but how do schools like Quinnipiac, Clarkson, Denver, RIT, and even Union College carry hockey and other sports? They are smaller than Hofstra (not sure about Denver) with smaller endowments I suspect. How do other schools invest in athletics with football, hockey and more and HU doesn't?
LIU (LIU!!!!!) today announced that they are starting men's hockey this fall. I have absolutely no idea how they'll put it off. But this absolutely turned the NCAA hockey world on its head today.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

OK, I just looked up both LIU and HU's endowments, and HU is way ahead of LIU. Where is this funding coming from in this time of CoViD? Private colleges are concerned about cutting various programs. Do they really expect to generate interest on the Brookville or Brooklyn campus for games possibly skated in Syosset, East Meadow or Uniondale? What about traveling to and from a practice rink? What about the rent to use a rink for practice and games? I would really like to see the financial plan for both athletic programs and see how much money is generated by donations, student fees, etc. I am really surprised about this development.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The Shadow wrote:OK, I just looked up both LIU and HU's endowments, and HU is way ahead of LIU. Where is this funding coming from in this time of CoViD? Private colleges are concerned about cutting various programs. Do they really expect to generate interest on the Brookville or Brooklyn campus for games possibly skated in Syosset, East Meadow or Uniondale? What about traveling to and from a practice rink? What about the rent to use a rink for practice and games? I would really like to see the financial plan for both athletic programs and see how much money is generated by donations, student fees, etc. I am really surprised about this development.
They ran a DI women’s team last year, so they know what they’re doing in terms of a rink, practice time, travel, all that. Honestly, if you do it right, rink time in the middle of the day isn’t THAT expensive.

Post is 70% commuters. While obviously they’re all not going to show up for a hockey game in East Meadow, a few hundred would make a lot of noise in that rink. It’s 2,500 seats, and if they get even half that, it’ll look pretty packed.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraHockey, Sill difficult to believe that the funds are available for what will be 26 programs over two campuses. Did you have any idea that LIU was interested in starting a hockey program?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Let put this in perspective Hofstras endowment for 2020 is the neighborhood of $600 million. Let take a small private university in the Northeast. Bryant University . Going by the 2018 numbers . Students 3,751 endowment 183.7 Million . They have 20 sports. !0 men and 10 women. we have 19. They dont have cross country mens and women But have mens and womens swimming and diving. They also have football (FCS). We are three times the size of Bryant with 3x the endowment but cant afford either football or Ice Hockey?
Other northeast universities
Providences College (2019) endowment 234.2 million
Rhode Island (2019)149.2 million
Brown University (2019) 4.2 billion
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I just looked this up. Bryants athletic budget $12,510,006
Hofstra athletic budget $19,263,000
They spend about 6% on the athletics and Hofstra spends about 3% of their endowment on athletics