MBB Game 3 - GWU, 11/14/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 3 - GWU, 11/14/22, 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

We shot threes 14-26 (.538), which is better than we shot twos. We had a great ratio of 19 assists to 9 turnovers.

James Bishop became the first player to make at least 10 twos, make at least 5 threes, make at least 9 free throws, and have at least 5 assists since Brigham Young (BYU)'s Jimmer Fredette on January 11, 2011. Ricky Lindo Jr. had 10 rebounds to lead all players, and his +/- of -16 was the worst among all players. I wonder how rare it is for a player to lead in one statistic and be the worst in another statistic, and I am not counting small sample sizes like if a guy shoots free throws 0-2 to have the worst percentage of any player. The Analytics tab gave Bishop an efficiency of 39, game score of 33.5, and net points of 28.4. Estrada had efficiency of 35, game score of 29.3, and net points of 16.8. Net points is not +/-, and it is negative for the teams combined. George Washington had a higher net points -9.2 to -12.1.

If you add up the top two scorers on either team, I wonder if tonight's 77 will end up being our highest value this season.

CAA teams playing simultaneously allowed a player in another conference (both in the Atlantic 10) to score at least 38 points while the CAA team won. I wonder when the last time (if ever) that happened was. Charleston was favored by 2.5 hosting Richmond. Charleston led 58-37 until Richmond made a three with 14:30 left. From 14:30 left through 1:20 left, Richmond went on a 42-18 run to lead by 3. It went down to 1, and back up to 3. With 20.1 seconds left, Charleston's Reyne Smith got fouled in the act of shooting a three and made all 3 free throws to tie it at 81. Richmond missed twice, and it went overtime. Richmond took their largest lead at 88-83 with 2:44 left. Charleston got an offensive rebound and made a three. Charleston stole the ball and scored to tie it at 88 with 46 seconds left. Richmond scored 2, and Charleston could have held for the final shot. With 17 seconds left, Jaylon Scott went to the basket and made the game-winning three-point play. Charleston stole the ball and made 1 of 2 free throws to go up 92-90. Richmond's Tyler Burton missed the game-deciding three that would have gotten him over 40, as he scored 38.

In the third and final CAA game tonight, Illinois leads Monmouth 63-33 at halftime. Illinois shot 23-70 (.767) and has 15 assists. Monmouth has over twice as many turnovers (17) as rebounds (8). We allowed 8 rebounds in the first half, so two of the three CAA games had a team have 8 rebounds in the first half. Terrence Shannon Jr. scored 21. In 2.5 games, CAA teams let a player on each opponent combine for 103 points.

San Jose State won 63-48 hosting Georgia Southern, and 90-68 hosting Bethesda. Bethesda plays in the National Christian College Athletic Associations (NCCAA). Before hosting us, San Jose State hosts Alabama State tomorrow night.
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK so at the chalk talk coach DePaoli fielded a few questions and someone asked about our bigs. He said that Williams was a day or two away. Then he was asked does that mean he's not playing tonite and he smiled and said we'll see.

BTW since someone mentioned Bishop couldn't believe what an incredible scorer this kid is. Mid range and three's. He hit shots when we were actually playing in your face defense and he's only 6'2. Single handedly kept GW from getting blown out IMO. A great scorer and DePaoli mentioned GW had a couple of guards that could go off for big numbers if we didn't keep them in check and guess what!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also worth mentioning that Estrada has already missed 4 FT's this year after 3 games hitting 8-12. Last year he only missed 5 all year 72-77. Hope he gets back on track. This may not be the great ft shooting teams of the past as Thomas doesn't appear to be a great FT shooter.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The consistency good shooting from 3 in these two home games was impressive - almost identical, even slightly beat Friday (as good as that was) percentage-wise:

14/29 on Friday
14/26 tonight

That first half that Estrada had was as good a half as JWF ever had on that floor - 23 pts, 9/11 fg, 4/5 from 3, 2 asts, 2 stls... scored in a variety of ways, mid-range and 3s from each wing, from each corner, going to the hoop, was a really great half.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There is a good article on the HU-GWU game on the Daly Dose of Hoops website.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

A Win is a Win

Thought GW was a worthy opponent - size, scoring - much tougher game for Hofstra the final score shows ( HU was up 15-3 in the 1st minutes - so we were out scored 77 - 70 the final 35 minutes)

These were games in the past seasons - I've to often seen us blowing a big lead and lose - so toughness is an early attribute of this team

Speedy seems much more animated - confident and in control this year - what a difference a year makes

Thought we moved the ball very VERY well - I love it the way we move the ball around the perimeter - not to be over critical ... but ... being over critical sometimes I thought our interior passing was over-zealous and tough to handle with a closing GW D

Fearless shooters - I think we all know what Estrada and Dubar can do - but Thomas, Plotnikov and Marshall certainly have the confidence to launch up 3's (they were a combined 6 for 10 from 3's)...Carlos had an off shooting night and thought he passed up a few shots that he could've taken - but Carlos moves the ball - and plays with control - i think guys need to get ready for him to pass to them at any and every time

Starting to really like the kid - Plotnikov - has nice sweet stroke from 3's - seems to have a good BB IQ

I know Williams is injured - and hear his return is day-to-day ... but what about Washington? started vs Princeton - no minutes vs Iona or GW.

Our bench played 44% (88 minutes) of the Princeton game - combined against Iona and GW a total of 59 minutes - I came away from the Princeton game thinking we'd use our bench more then prior seasons - resting our starter and have key players fresh down the stretch is what I'd hoped for - now I am seeing AE playing 40 minutes - 40 minutes of having to guard tough opponents; 40 minutes of being double-teamed and being full court-pressed - AE was gassed - and it should in the 2nd half

Our team can shot - as a team for the season - 52% from the floor/ 49% from 3's - those are pretty nutty percentages - being picky we are only 72% from the stripe and I know can be closer to 80% (I know that means only a point or two a game - but every point counts)

Love our ability to occasionally press or foes - but again - would like us to do so using our bench more

There was a decent student section showing - as for the general population - not so much

Now off to the West Coast

A Win is a Win
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:There is a good article on the HU-GWU game on the Daly Dose of Hoops website.
I guess this one. http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/202 ... st-as.html
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Is there a video to the post game last night? I can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Our friend Wags posted a good article about the HU-GWU game on the NY Sports Day website.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Late here but just wanted to note this was my first game in attendance, seeing them live, and like I even posted in the SJU thread, I see big time potential with this squad. This team already looks to be as polished now as the end of year last years team, and obviously they are still developing - they are coming together faster than expected, and I think the sky is the limit.

Said tonight also that Marshall has impressed me - and I gave him ZERO props - this kid can play, he's a big body like CJ, can drive to the hoop, hits the deep ball, can handle the rock, and plays with confidence. This kid might come out of the shadows and be a big time player here as he develops.

JC, I love him, he's a true point, and he's playing much better - but he needs to score on his drives - can't kick out everything, sometimes he makes 1 too many passes, TEACH HIM SPEEDY - kid can BALL.

Dubar, playing really strong, love him, FEED HIM.

Plovotnik, he's 50-50 for me right now - does some things real well, makes some major gaffs. I need to see better from a JUCO stud.

Nelson, is what he is, but I gotta give this man credit, he's holding his own - makes some smart heady plays - needs better hands at times, but IQ through the roof and his maturity makes a difference in this team.

Thomas, looks to be the perfect compliment to AE IMO - looks so far like those 2 play real well together, something that was missing last year.

AE, what can you say - one of the smoothest players in the nation any level. So patient, so smart, so talented. Ready for a national year. BUT he needs to be smarter with the ball, not his strong suit, and he's going to need to learn how to play through double and triple teams - I know, easy for me to say, but still true lol - can't let himself get shutdown, too important. And I'm sure he'll figure it all out.

I see one of the better teams I've seen at HU in this club, and easily one of the better teams to start a season - love the ball movement, love the teamwork, love Speedy's energy, just a lot to love. Still a work in progress, the SJU game showed that, but I see a legit NCAAT contender here. ROLL PRIDE!