Season Ticket Holder Event 11/3

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Season Ticket Holder Event 11/3

Post by triplec2195 »

So tonight we held an event for the season ticket holders at the Mack. I've been to all the past events where they provided food and some alcohol etc. at these events. This had neither but they apparently provided a Mister softee truck for those who wanted ice cream. The women's team and the men's team were there along with some of the coaches. All the players on both teams introduced themselves and thanked the season ticket holders for our support.We had received e-mails prior to the event from Carla Pennolino asking if we had questions we would like answered from the coaches. They actually asked if I was there and supposedly posed my question to coach Atkinson which BTW was totally paraphrased to the point where it didn't resemble my question. I asked about the women's offense and how she was going to improve their scoring which was lacking last year. Instead the question was more related to team chemistry with all the new players?? Colin Curtin emceed the event and I thought he did a good job and spoke about his 10 years at Hofstra. He posed other questions to the coaches and again they talked about chemistry of the players and the usual rhetoric that coaches speak of before a season. Coach Atkinson didn't speak about any individual players but did say that the team was getting after it and worked hard. She said they would be a better offensive team but wasn't as athletic or big as last years team. Honestly after seeing some games last year I don't know how she could say they were athletic IMO. As for Speedy he did mention names and said that they were pleasantly surprised of the play of Bryce Washington who he said was very athletic. He said that if we remembered a former player named Isaac Kante that Williams is a more athletic version of Kante. He went on to say that German Plotnikov is a coaches dream. He "plays the game the way the game should be played" I'm not sure exactly what that means but it sounds very positive. He also said that Boachie-Yiadom is backing up Williams and is very intelligent student of the game. He perfunctorily mentioned Carlos and Barrouk and said every coaches job becomes easier when you have the returning POY. Also said that Dubar is being counted on to up his game.Speedy did mention Thomas and referenced his NEC recognition's. Both coaches talked about how the schedules are now more challenging to get their teams ready for conference play.

In the past we saw some basketball being played but not tonight when the only ball we saw was a live streaming of the men's soccer game that we won in O/T. Overall a bit disappointed in this event. That's my opinion don't know how others feel.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Re: Season Ticket Holder Event 11/3

Post by HUSID80 »

Somwhat disappointed in this event's format and presentation. Nothing here to get anyone excited for the season. Was nice to speak with the coaches, Speedy in particular and Boachie-Yiadom, very articulate and positive about the coming season and Hofstra.
garyg

Post by garyg »

No mention of Lual ???
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

triplec2195 wrote:So tonight we held an event for the season ticket holders at the Mack. I've been to all the past events where they provided food and some alcohol etc. at these events. This had neither but they apparently provided a Mister softee truck for those who wanted ice cream. The women's team and the men's team were there along with some of the coaches. All the players on both teams introduced themselves and thanked the season ticket holders for our support.We had received e-mails prior to the event from Carla Pennolino asking if we had questions we would like answered from the coaches. They actually asked if I was there and supposedly posed my question to coach Atkinson which BTW was totally paraphrased to the point where it didn't resemble my question. I asked about the women's offense and how she was going to improve their scoring which was lacking last year. Instead the question was more related to team chemistry with all the new players?? Colin Curtin emceed the event and I thought he did a good job and spoke about his 10 years at Hofstra. He posed other questions to the coaches and again they talked about chemistry of the players and the usual rhetoric that coaches speak of before a season. Coach Atkinson didn't speak about any individual players but did say that the team was getting after it and worked hard. She said they would be a better offensive team but wasn't as athletic or big as last years team. Honestly after seeing some games last year I don't know how she could say they were athletic IMO. As for Speedy he did mention names and said that they were pleasantly surprised of the play of Bryce Washington who he said was very athletic. He said that if we remembered a former player named Isaac Kante that Williams is a more athletic version of Kante. He went on to say that German Plotnikov is a coaches dream. He "plays the game the way the game should be played" I'm not sure exactly what that means but it sounds very positive. He also said that Boachie-Yiadom is backing up Williams and is very intelligent student of the game. He perfunctorily mentioned Carlos and Barrouk and said every coaches job becomes easier when you have the returning POY. Also said that Dubar is being counted on to up his game. Both coaches talked about how the schedules are now more challenging to get their teams ready for conference play.

In the past we saw some basketball being played but not tonight when the only ball we saw was a live streaming of the men's soccer game that we won in O/T. Overall a bit disappointed in this event. That's my opinion don't know how others feel.
SO happy I decided not to make the trip.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:No mention of Lual ???
Lual was there and is quite a BIG kid. Speedy didn't mention him at all.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

We actually spent a lot of time with the Women's team - they were so nice to my kids and really engaging. Will be checking out some of their games this year.

Also - i heard a little on scrimmages - apparently they played Fairfield and Seton Hall
garyg

Post by garyg »

so no word on how Lual has been performing in pre season ?
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:so no word on how Lual has been performing in pre season ?
I spoke with Lual a little bit. Seemed like a nice well-mannered young man. And yes, as someone mentioned, he is very tall with arms that have to give him a well over 7ft wingspan. I asked in a general fashion (nothing specific about to his health) if he is ready to go. He said yes and that he can't wait for the season to begin.

I asked how the scrimmages went and his face just went blank - he didn't know what to say. Then I smiled and said "OK, OK, if they are supposed to be secret, you don't have to say anything." He beamed back a big smile and then we both broke out laughing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:We actually spent a lot of time with the Women's team - they were so nice to my kids and really engaging. Will be checking out some of their games this year.

Also - i heard a little on scrimmages - apparently they played Fairfield and Seton Hall
I already have tickets to the first few games. I'm anxious to see how this team performs. They should be a far better shooting team then last year's team. Maybe better defensively but smaller without a proven post player. As I have posted before I don't believe this team is the worst team in this league and should prove that.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:
I spoke with Lual a little bit. Seemed like a nice well-mannered young man. And yes, as someone mentioned, he is very tall with arms that have to give him a well over 7ft wingspan. I asked in a general fashion (nothing specific about to his health) if he is ready to go. He said yes and that he can't wait for the season to begin.

I asked how the scrimmages went and his face just went blank - he didn't know what to say. Then I smiled and said "OK, OK, if they are supposed to be secret, you don't have to say anything." He beamed back a big smile and then we both broke out laughing.
OK... so Lual is very tall and has a large wingspan...what else ?
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:
Cards wrote:

OK... so Lual is very tall and has a large wingspan...what else ?
Do you think I should have asked him how his body is holding up during end of practice suicides? :lol: