Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Post by garyg »

With the season being only a little over 2 months away wanted to see what everyone's expectation's are ??

If we stay relatively injury free [like this past season] and we play up to our potential I can see us winning 22-23 games. In the watered down CAA this may be our year to secure the automatic bid.

As I have posted before scoring should not be an issue for this years team. Defense and rebounding will be. I think Kante will have comparable statistics to JT this season [maybe a little better in the PPG] But JT did a lot of things that do not show up in the box score like clogging up the lane and altering shots without getting into too much foul trouble...JT also battled for position down low on both ends of the court...
Mikey77

Re: Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Post by Mikey77 »

19 - 12. Too small unless Hughes and Schutte surprise. I thought this staff had turned a corner when recruiting "bigs" when they landed Taylor, who was the key to last year in my view. This year has been a disappointment in that regard. "In guards we trust" worked in the American East but not in the Colonial or when playing higher seeded conferences. Hope I'm wrong, we'll see.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

When we all find out more about who's playing and who's healthy we can make a better prediction about wins and losses but I think we can win 20 games. For me its all about winning the CAA and playing well in the conference. I think bringing back 3 of 5 starters and Kante practicing with the team last year we will be a very respectable team and add Silverio into the mix who everyone says can shoot it we should be competitive. I like the PG from N Carolina and if Cramer plays we have someone who can rebound and block shots. So again has anyone seen any recent practices??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

This is big of a loss of 2 individual players as we have ever had - JFW and JT. JT was a beast in the CAA his size combined with his skill set was exactly what that HU (and any CAA team) needed. JFW what can you say his scoring, his intensity, his leadership - simply the best.
Now this 2019-20 team has some very favorable things - this might be an off year in the CAA and we have some experience scorers - EP, DB, TC, JR and OS - we will have enough guys that can handle the ball and score. If we only lost JFW - I'd be kind of OK with these guys making up for his buckets.
The loss of JT is BIG. JT did a lot of the little things (that are really big things) hit foul shots, stayed out foul trouble, passed, finished, rebounded on both ends. I have heard GREAT things about IK and hear he is a beast - he is going to need help. It is imperative that this is the year for ST develops more of the skills that can keep him on the floor - play D, rebound, block shots. We are also going to have to again rely on EP, TC and OS to guard some of our opponents bigger 2-3-4's - they have dome it but it is tough on them. As previously mentioned - HH and/or KS are going to have to prove themselves.
Think we win 20.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Pretty much in line with previous comments, we have to see:
1) how Silverio and Kante replace Wright Foreman and Taylor
2) if Hughes can give them valuable minutes at the 4/5
I've never seen any of those guys play - until I do, I can't have any kind of expectation or prediction that's not mostly a guess.
Buie, Pemberton, Ray, and Coburn are a solid group to start with though, already probably the best group of guards in the league, and the league is historically weak, so not finishing in the top 4 would be a disappointment.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It will take a little time for thus team to jell I dont know the SOS of our OOC but if the local teams on this schedule are weak we will win 22 games
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I think the only real question mark are the backups to Kante. If we can get 15 or so serviceable minutes out of the three headed monster of Schutte, Hughes and Truheart we will be in very good shape.
My only concern with Kante is foul trouble as he will be asked to take on a pretty heavy load inside from the standpoint of scoring, rebounding and defense.
The rest of the rotations looks to be real solid with Ray battling Silverio for the SG position and how much the new PG gets to play...IMO he will need to be on the floor for at least 10 or more minutes in backing up Buie.
I see us as contenders again for the CAA title with at least 20 wins...hoping for a big year from Pemba and Coburn who I said before looks great!
Finally, I don't see Cramer playing this year...he will be a redshirt IMO
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:I think the only real question mark are the backups to Kante. If we can get 15 or so serviceable minutes out of the three headed monster of Schutte, Hughes and Truheart we will be in very good shape.
My only concern with Kante is foul trouble as he will be asked to take on a pretty heavy load inside from the standpoint of scoring, rebounding and defense.
The rest of the rotations looks to be real solid with Ray battling Silverio for the SG position and how much the new PG gets to play...IMO he will need to be on the floor for at least 10 or more minutes in backing up Buie.
I see us as contenders again for the CAA title with at least 20 wins...hoping for a big year from Pemba and Coburn who I said before looks great!
I just renewed my season tickets and changed my seats to 102 on the aisle as I wanted to be nearer center court. I have to say though sitting in 101 for years I got to be near the parents of some of the players and talked to Bernardi's father and the parents of Hunter Sabety. Last year it was Justin's mom and Coburns mother who is very vocal.
SID thanks for your insight and I guess Cramer could redshirt don't know anything about how his rehabbing is going? I would like to see some of their practices.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do not be surprised if Miranda redshirts as well...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I think the only real question mark are the backups to Kante. If we can get 15 or so serviceable minutes out of the three headed monster of Schutte, Hughes and Truheart we will be in very good shape.
I just renewed my season tickets and changed my seats to 102 on the aisle as I wanted to be nearer center court. I have to say though sitting in 101 for years I got to be near the parents of some of the players and talked to Bernardi's father and the parents of Hunter Sabety. Last year it was Justin's mom and Coburns mother who is very vocal.
SID thanks for your insight and I guess Cramer could redshirt don't know anything about how his rehabbing is going? I would like to see some of their practices.
triplec, you can always call the basketball office and find out when they are practicing and get your name on the list for that day...not sure when they start up again
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I was on the phone with Mike Neely and posed that question to him but he didn't know. I will definitely give it a shot and thanks for the info. SID.
I know Gary that you have mentioned a few players red shirting this year and its evident that u r sticking to your guns. Is this just a gut feeling or do u have some inside info.??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

SID I know you mentioned on more then one occasion about the battle between Silverio and Jalen for the starting SG position. This would be a bit of a surprise considering Jalen had been in line for the position replacing Justin and he has a lot of experience playing with this team. Is this your opinion based on what you have seen or have you heard rumblings to this effect?
garyg

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:I was on the phone with Mike Neely and posed that question to him but he didn't know. I will definitely give it a shot and thanks for the info. SID.
I know Gary that you have mentioned a few players red shirting this year and its evident that u r sticking to your guns. Is this just a gut feeling or do u have some inside info.??
Gut feeling based on circumstances...Cramer has not played in 2 years due to injury and I do not see Miranda getting much playing time this upcoming season due to depth at his position...may be beneficial to redshirt both...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:SID I know you mentioned on more then one occasion about the battle between Silverio and Jalen for the starting SG position. This would be a bit of a surprise considering Jalen had been in line for the position replacing Justin and he has a lot of experience playing with this team. Is this your opinion based on what you have seen or have you heard rumblings to this effect?
This is based on my opinion...Jalen has been great coming off the bench to provide a real offensive spark and I know the coached are very HIGH on Silverio's offense. Plus he's bigger and we can use some additional height in this lineup.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

We should all remember the old basketball saying, "It is not important who starts a basketball game, what is important is who finishes." We have all seen players develop and regress during a college season. Think back to last year's team and remember the transformation of the lineup with TC improving and getting significant minutes. I never anticipated how good a rebounder TC is for a guard. ST and KW did not having the minutes we all anticipated at the start of the season. Let's see just what we have in OS, IK,and the other recruits and in what roles they might succeed . Trust in the coaches to recognize who is deserving of playing time. JR might be that type of player who is better coming off the bench for instant offense. I recall we all wanted to give AW playing time at forward, the coaches said, "Not at this time." We then saw AW in a few games and everyone changed their opinion quite rapidly. I think Coach Joe, Coach Speedy,Coach Mike, and Coach Colin, have a good idea of who should get playing time. Of course, the health of the players changes everything. I have just stated all the obvious opinions we all know. I am eagerly anticipating seeing just what the team will become in the 2019-20 season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

In agreement with the bulk of what u r saying here Shadow but AW(Andre Walker) at forward?? I don't recall people wanting him to play forward. I always thought he was a 5 and nothing else. He was a shot blocker and could throw it down. He wasn't a perimeter player at all but had a few decent games for us filling in for Gustys who had a penchant for getting into foul trouble. It wouldn't surprise me that when the smoke clears we find out that AW had more upside then Schutte does.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:SID I know you mentioned on more then one occasion about the battle between Silverio and Jalen for the starting SG position. This would be a bit of a surprise considering Jalen had been in line for the position replacing Justin and he has a lot of experience playing with this team. Is this your opinion based on what you have seen or have you heard rumblings to this effect?
This is based on my opinion...Jalen has been great coming off the bench to provide a real offensive spark and I know the coached are very HIGH on Silverio's offense. Plus he's bigger and we can use some additional height in this lineup.
You certainly could be right here not that Jalen would be thrilled having to come off the bench but whatever behooves the TEAM so be it!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To triplec2195, I always wanted to see a twin towers offense with two true big forwards. Call them twin 5s or 4s or what is in style at the moment, but I would have loved to have seen the attempt. How many rebounds, blocks,and put backs could have occurred? Foul shots would be an adventure! I realize that this is not the style that basketball is played in 2019 with driving and dishing for 3s, but it might have been fun to see.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:To triplec2195, I always wanted to see a twin towers offense with two true big forwards. Call them twin 5s or 4s or what is in style at the moment, but I would have loved to have seen the attempt. How many rebounds, blocks,and put backs could have occurred? Foul shots would be an adventure! I realize that this is not the style that basketball is played in 2019 with driving and dishing for 3s, but it might have been fun to see.
My only recent recollection of having two bigs on the court at the same time was in Gustys' senior year and we were getting beat up by I believe Bill and Mary. Joe did something that he hadn't done before and put in both Gustys and Sabety. Sabety went out to the perimeter to TRY and guard Justin Pierce. We all know that didn't work out too well as Pierce took him to the hole a few times. He was too quick for Sabety and also Gustys. We all would like to see a twin towers offense if we had Kante and Jacquil Taylor but we don't have skilled athletic bigs right now. If Stafford could only up his game and bulk up what could be would be interesting but his role seems to be just a three point shooter. He needs to have more of a mid range game. Questions will be answered soon.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

triplec2195, I remember the play you referenced against W&M. I just thought the twin towers may have worked against some teams that were not as quick. I am not sure that AW was as poor a defender as HS on the outside. I guess we will never know. I believe that this team has a possibility to be successful. IK has the potential to become a very good forward that can score, rebound, and possibly cause foul trouble for opposing teams. I am looking forward for a different type of HU team than what we have seen previously that were so guard oriented. Does anyone remember the last forward or center that was the leading scorer on an HU team?