FloSports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

FloSports

Post by Jojogunne »

So what's the deal with FloSports? Is free Hofstra video streaming going the way of the dodo bird?

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/8/13/ge ... eason.aspx

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/5/4/gen ... rtner.aspx
The Shadow

Re: FloSports

Post by The Shadow »

It sure seems that way! Just another way for colleges to make some money or, is it a way stream some more of their sports to a larger market. Is there a real market for midmajor college sports enough so this company can make a profit, or is it just for marketing?
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

From the CAA announcement in May -

"The CAA member institutions will have the flexibility through their partnership with FloSports to retain local linear exposure. The conference will also maintain its relationship with LAX Sports Network for coverage of CAA men's and women's lacrosse, while other events will remain on CAA.TV, the conference's digital network."

Seems to mean the free Hofstra video would be available for games not shown by Flo Sports, I think.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The first link says:

"Hofstra fans can sign up (flosports.tv/caa) at a rate of $12.50 per month or 95.88 per year (7.99 per month)."

FloSports has different packages, and one says it's $12.50 per month if you pay for a year or $29.99 per month one at a time. Four months would be $119.96, so it would make sense to pay 12*$12.50 = $150 for a year even if you wanted mostly Men's Basketball. The price in the link is cheaper than that, but is just for Hofstra. As you know, CAA.TV streamed all CAA teams for free. I don't know if there will be separate packages for each school and a CAA combined package.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

EvanJ wrote:The first link says:

"Hofstra fans can sign up (flosports.tv/caa) at a rate of $12.50 per month or 95.88 per year (7.99 per month)."

FloSports has different packages, and one says it's $12.50 per month if you pay for a year or $29.99 per month one at a time. Four months would be $119.96, so it would make sense to pay 12*$12.50 = $150 for a year even if you wanted mostly Men's Basketball. The price in the link is cheaper than that, but is just for Hofstra. As you know, CAA.TV streamed all CAA teams for free. I don't know if there will be separate packages for each school and a CAA combined package.
https://www.flohoops.com/plans?sp=caa matches the first part. Luckily it is much cheaper than $12.50 per month if you pay for a year or $29.99 per month one at a time. $50 will cover every game at a CAA school along with a small amount of out of conference games by CAA teams. The games can be watched on demand.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Not familiar with all the content on Flo sports but how can they justify such a high price when ESPN+ is $4.99 per month.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraMathew wrote:Not familiar with all the content on Flo sports but how can they justify such a high price when ESPN+ is $4.99 per month.
In looking into this further the price quoted in the press release ($12.50 per month or $95.88 for the year) is just for CAA content. Has anyone actually decided to sign up? I am probably going to pass; I usually just had the free stream on in the background while I was working. I will probably just listen to the WRHU radio feed for this season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote: Not familiar with all the content on Flo sports but how can they justify such a high price when ESPN+ is $4.99 per month.
In looking into this further the price quoted in the press release ($12.50 per month or $95.88 for the year) is just for CAA content. Has anyone actually decided to sign up? I am probably going to pass; I usually just had the free stream on in the background while I was working. I will probably just listen to the WRHU radio feed for this season.
ESPN+ is a good deal, but I read that it might combine with Disney and go up to $12.99 or $13.99 (I don't remember which), which is how traditional TV works that each channel gets money per subscriber including from people who don't watch the channel. Having to pay for Disney content to get sports would be like if I wanted to get a supplement and the only way to get it was paying for makeup and lipstick also.

https://www.flosports.tv/caa/?utm_campa ... verage_id= has a link to sign up under different sports, but at least it says "Includes access to all sports. Cancel anytime." I'm not paying just for Football, but paying starting in November to get all sports would let me watch the Men's Soccer and Women's Soccer tournaments and the end of the Football regular season. From the first Men's Basketball out of conference games through the CAA Quarterfinals is just over four months, so it would cost $62.50 for five months. February and March would include Baseball and Softball.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So are any of our away games going to stream for free, or do we have to subscribe to FloHoops? Thanks.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

According to Hofstra's schedule, FloHoops includes 2 of 5 out of conference home games, which are against San Jose State and Stony Brook. The schedule doesn't say anything about streaming for hosting Monmouth, New York Tech, and Manhattan. As for out of conference, it says our game at UCLA will be on Pac-12 Networks, but there's no way to watch online if you don't get Pac-12 Networks on TV. The game is at 11:00 P.M., so it would be hard to stay up anyway. The only other out of conference game I found streaming information for is that the game at St. Bonaventure will be on ESPN+. That doesn't mean that other games won't have streaming, it just means that neither school's site has streaming information. Last season 4 of our 6 out of conference away games were on ESPN+, and the game at Manhattan streamed for free. Last season's only out of conference game without free or ESPN+ streaming was at Maryland.

TLDR: The only games we can certainly watch for free are the three games on CBS Sports Network.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Drexel season ticket holders get FloSports to pay for itself. Drexel season ticket holders who provide proof of an annual FloSports subscription get five guest passes for equal or lesser value to their season tickets with a maximum total of $100.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

EvanJ wrote:Drexel season ticket holders get FloSports to pay for itself. Drexel season ticket holders who provide proof of an annual FloSports subscription get five guest passes for equal or lesser value to their season tickets with a maximum total of $100.
Nice idea
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, Do you have any possible athletic department contacts to suggest this FloSports option? It seems if a conference member worked out a plan that HU could use a similar model.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I could certainly send Rick Cole a note if there is support here for something similar.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ wrote:Drexel season ticket holders get FloSports to pay for itself. Drexel season ticket holders who provide proof of an annual FloSports subscription get five guest passes for equal or lesser value to their season tickets with a maximum total of $100.
That doesn't interest me. As a season-ticket holder, I would rather receive a discount off FloSports, if that's the only streaming option available.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

A fan that the CAA will use money from FloSports to pay CBS Sports Network to show more games in future seasons.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Saturdays game was on Hofstra's website for free. What is the deal with Flo? I didnt sign up for it yet, but was still able to watch that game.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Sssssh. :)
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Hofstra wrote:Saturdays game was on Hofstra's website for free. What is the deal with Flo? I didnt sign up for it yet, but was still able to watch that game.

The schedule shows which games are on Flo. It wasn’t all them.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Just SBU on Dec. 10 and many of the the CAA games starting with @JMU on Dec. 28.