Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by Jojogunne »

Salnave is graduating in May.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:In 2016 ESPN ranked the following players in this order Rawle Alkins #1, Shamorie Ponds # 2, Ty Jerome #3 but further down the ratings and ranked at #12 was a kid from Syracuse whose name was Nathan Knight who received a grade of 67. This seems awfully low knowing what we know now maybe because the player really developed and grew during his college years or maybe because the ratings weren't that accurate. Right below him at #13 was our very own Tareq Coburn rated at 66. So where am I going with this don't really know but in this same ratings group at #16 was a kid named Anthony Lamb(65) who went on to have a very nice collegiate career at Vermont. At #18 was this kid Ray Salnave rated a 64 who carved out a nice 3 years at Monmouth. I didn't need to preface this conversation with all this info. but thought it would be interesting. I'm curious as to why Ray Salnave who it seems is either looking for "Greener Pastures" a more well know school with a bigger b-ball program or is looking for a change would transfer to Hofstra. In the business world wouldn't this be labeled a "lateral" shouldn't Ray be looking for a promotion maybe to a P5 program which is what a lot of kids do even though he probably is going to play less minutes. Would his interest here have anything to do with the fact that his HS TEAMMATE plays here or maybe the fact that he comes from Long Island(Elmont) or maybe he knows how good the program is here and likes the coaches. Maybe its all of the above and I for one would like to have him here. It seems that our coaching staff is not that secure with the heir apparent replacing Eli and wants someone to replace him that has experience. Why would Salnave transfer here??
I would view the CAA as a step up from the MAAC, and yes those other factors come to bear. In addition don't discount our perennial contender status, go to the Dance? and perhaps working with Speedy for a year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:In 2016 ESPN ranked the following players in this order Rawle Alkins #1, Shamorie Ponds # 2, Ty Jerome #3 but further down the ratings and ranked at #12 was a kid from Syracuse whose name was Nathan Knight who received a grade of 67. This seems awfully low knowing what we know now maybe because the player really developed and grew during his college years or maybe because the ratings weren't that accurate. Right below him at #13 was our very own Tareq Coburn rated at 66. So where am I going with this don't really know but in this same ratings group at #16 was a kid named Anthony Lamb(65) who went on to have a very nice collegiate career at Vermont. At #18 was this kid Ray Salnave rated a 64 who carved out a nice 3 years at Monmouth. I didn't need to preface this conversation with all this info. but thought it would be interesting. I'm curious as to why Ray Salnave who it seems is either looking for "Greener Pastures" a more well know school with a bigger b-ball program or is looking for a change would transfer to Hofstra. In the business world wouldn't this be labeled a "lateral" shouldn't Ray be looking for a promotion maybe to a P5 program which is what a lot of kids do even though he probably is going to play less minutes. Would his interest here have anything to do with the fact that his HS TEAMMATE plays here or maybe the fact that he comes from Long Island(Elmont) or maybe he knows how good the program is here and likes the coaches. Maybe its all of the above and I for one would like to have him here. It seems that our coaching staff is not that secure with the heir apparent replacing Eli and wants someone to replace him that has experience. Why would Salnave transfer here??
I would view the CAA as a step up from the MAAC, and yes those other factors come to bear. In addition don't discount our perennial contender status, go to the Dance? and perhaps working with Speedy for a year.
I would agree with all the above so realistically do we have a chance to get him or is he looking to play for Minnesota or Missouri? He started almost all of the games last year for Monmouth IDK why he didn't start them all, injury? He was averaging 28.5 minutes a game so if we assume he slides into the three he would be able to get those minutes here. I know we have lost out on kids like this before where we thought we had a better chance then other schools for the reasons already mentioned. I know this kid is no Damion Lee who transferred from Drexel and became the leader scorer for Louisville but he would be a nice fit for the missing puzzle piece here. Lets hope he decides to come here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I also agree HU and the CAA are a slight step up from MU and the MAAC - both are still 1 bid leagues, so it's not some huge difference, but a lot of that assessment is due to the situation here - i.e. the style of play, the tradition of great guard production, proven pro options, JM and Speedy's history and pedigree, and HU as a program does have a rep of high quality mid major hoops.

If you look at MU and the incredible success they had against P5's for a brief period of time, it netted very little sadly - they did have a slight uptick in recruiting, which is how a guy like Salnave ended up there - but other than that, HU's single win against UCLA seems to have created the same general benefit - MU doesn't really offer a whole lot IMO, it's still Ionas league, and Pitino isn't going to help their situation.

Now Salnave wasn't a 4 star superstar, but he was a solid 3 star guy HU recruited similar to TC and is likely an A10 level player, which is HU's talent wheelhouse.

RE Nelson, sounds like an update coming Monday, he looks to be narrowing his focus - I would say HU is squarely in this one, but we'll see in 2 days:
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 6635410440
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So with Nelson I'm assuming he would have to sit out unless the NCAA passes a waiver rule this year. Correct?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I personally think HU is going for impact this season, so they may feel good about his prospects of such - I think a lot of leeway is going to be given on transfers this year due to covid, so we'll see.

But perhaps the all-conf comment is more for following up the existing starters? Won't know for sure yet... all of this feels directly driven by the decision on TC's position (which we don't know yet) - if he stays at the 4, they need a 3 now - if he doesn't, this could be a transfer for next season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nelson down to 5, HU not in that group - BYU, Long Beach State, Manhattan, Oregon State and Rhode Island - I figured URI and Manhattan, the others a bit odd to me, but must be some connection to drive those.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 6689717248

Can't say I'm surprised w/HU out, wasn't sure the need and player were a fit here unless he sits for 2 - he's not a 3 or 4, so I wonder if this was a holdover recruitment from before Cowart... HU may not have even been committable anymore, who knows. I see a more appropriate fit w/Salnave... but he's got a long, growing list of suiters, so we'll see - not sure what other options they're pursuing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Nelson down to 5, HU not in that group - BYU, Long Beach State, Manhattan, Oregon State and Rhode Island - I figured URI and Manhattan, the others a bit odd to me, but must be some connection to drive those.

Can't say I'm surprised w/HU out, wasn't sure the need and player were a fit here unless he sits for 2 - he's not a 3 or 4, so I wonder if this was a holdover recruitment from before Cowart... HU may not have even been committable anymore, who knows. I see a more appropriate fit w/Salnave... but he's got a long, growing list of suiters, so we'll see - not sure what other options they're pursuing.
I see Salnave as a fit here but like you say where are we on this line of suitors do we have the trump card here. My opinion is that he goes elsewhere.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Polito wrote:Nelson down to 5, HU not in that group - BYU, Long Beach State, Manhattan, Oregon State and Rhode Island - I figured URI and Manhattan, the others a bit odd to me, but must be some connection to drive those.

I see Salnave as a fit here but like you say where are we on this line of suitors do we have the trump card here. My opinion is that he goes elsewhere.
To follow up on my own post I see on V/C that one of the asst. coaches from UCLA has been talking to Salnave. I guess the plot thickens as St Johns and ILLINOIS get in the mix.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Article on V/C ( Zag's Blog) that states Salnave down to: 1) St.John's 2) DePaul and 3) Loyola Marymount.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Article on V/C ( Zag's Blog) that states Salnave down to: 1) St.John's 2) DePaul and 3) Loyola Marymount.
OK another BITES THE DUST!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

With his large list of suiters and pretty decent programs chasing, I felt like this was becoming a bit of a long shot, so not hugely surprised by the removal...

BUT

That list is extremely unexciting and a bit puzzling to me. To not be part of that 3 is head scratching. Outside of SJU, very random. Really thought he'd go 'big'.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

With the incoming crop of solid recruits and Cramer now ready to play and throw into the mix Silverio who may be a diamond in the rough I would rather see a kid that has some eligibility for more then one year get our last scholarship. I actually feel we have all the pieces to do well this year although it may take some time to gel that's one of the reasons why we play an OOC schedule.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Did not notice this earlier but it looks like Allen Betrand transferred from Towson to Rhode Island.
The talent exodus continues from the rest of the league.

Miranda ended up at California Baptist University which plays in the WAC.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Here's one to consider for a year. SBU's Andrew Garcia hit the portal. 6-5 wing averaged 13.4 points and 6.7 rebounds last year for the Seawolves. Eligible immediately.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Did not notice this earlier but it looks like Allen Betrand transferred from Towson to Rhode Island.

Curious where u got that info. Cactus re Miranda I don't see it on V/C which I guess is no surprise. The WAC is ranked 27 out of 32 conferences but Cal Baptist had a decent year finishing in 2nd place and an overall record of 21-10. New Mexico State was the cream of the crop here finishing 25-6 and 16-0 in the conference. I wonder how much playing time he will get there?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just of note Andrew Garcia 6'5 red shirt senior from Stony Brook is on the transfer portal. He started all their games last year and averaged 13.4 points and 6.8 rebounds. A strong rebounder for sure.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:Did not notice this earlier but it looks like Allen Betrand transferred from Towson to Rhode Island.

Curious where u got that info. Cactus re Miranda I don't see it on V/C which I guess is no surprise. The WAC is ranked 27 out of 32 conferences but Cal Baptist had a decent year finishing in 2nd place and an overall record of 21-10. New Mexico State was the cream of the crop here finishing 25-6 and 16-0 in the conference. I wonder how much playing time he will get there?
https://twitter.com/BarstoolCBU/status/ ... 50917?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:Just of note Andrew Garcia 6'5 red shirt senior from Stony Brook is on the transfer portal. He started all their games last year and averaged 13.4 points and 6.8 rebounds. A strong rebounder for sure.
Triplec see two posts above.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I believe Andrew and Eli are good friends Think they played either with each other or against each other on their AAU teams.