MBB Recruits 2020

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by Polito »

Not a superstar, but I wouldn't call him a non-impact player, he is a strong defensive presence - shot blocking machine - I would've gladly taken Ochefu here to backup Kante.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well Ochefu played similar minutes to Schutte scored the same 1.4 pts a game and less rebounds. Schutte 2.3 to this kids 1.8. Schutte had 11 block shots last year to Ochefu's 1. Ochefu did hit 4 of 9 three's when the year before he didn't take any. He's also a better FT shooter. This sounds like somewhat of a tossup if u ask me.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Word is we had no interest in Ochefu.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fair enough on both 8-)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jordan Riley local kid from Brentwood mentioned in a post here; Four-star LI guard Jordan Riley is down to Georgetown, UConn, St. John's, FSU and Kansas. No shocker here!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYlUKfnz0G ... mrt1tmt1oj

Looks like we got out last commit. Anyone know anything about him?
The roster is now up on gohofstra.com and Lovell Smith is not listed. There is a previously unmentioned guy that looks like a walk on, 6-1 guard Cole Eiber.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

No one in the program had any idea of who Lovell Smith is...not even Speedy...he posted that picture/announcment on his own.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID74 wrote:No one in the program had any idea of who Lovell Smith is...not even Speedy...he posted that picture/announcment on his own.
1. That's amazing. This kid is going full Kramer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU6m5UqLx9M ) and will be showing up to day 1 of practice hoping that no one says anything...

2. I'm really happy we didn't spend a scholly here. Per my post after his instagram announcement, he didn't see like a caliber of player we'd be targeting with a scholarship.

3. Interestingly enough, speedy did like a few of his posts, including this most recent one: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB4XbEsHyxr/

Can't make this stuff up.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYlUKfnz0G ... mrt1tmt1oj

Looks like we got out last commit. Anyone know anything about him?
The roster is now up on gohofstra.com and Lovell Smith is not listed. There is a previously unmentioned guy that looks like a walk on, 6-1 guard Cole Eiber.
Not much height. In guards we trust again?
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Size looks like a problem to me JoJo. I don't understand why the program has issues recruiting bigs.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't think that size is going to be much of an issue this year or should I say next year. The smallest player that will step out on the court will be 6'2. Last year it was Buie at 5'11. We now have Cramer eligible who's listed at 6'6 who may be bigger then that but even if that height is accurate we know he plays bigger then 6'6. We bring in Green who's 6'7 and will get some playing time who is a strong rebounder. Last year the game that I recall us getting beat off the boards was the loss against Towson but probably had more to do with effort then size. We had one more rebound a game then we gave up so I'm not sure what you guys mean when you say size is a problem. Kante a bulky 6'7 backed up by Schutte at 6'9 and Trueheart getting minutes at 6'8. Where are we small? Kante at 6'7??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I don't think that size is going to be much of an issue this year or should I say next year. The smallest player that will step out on the court will be 6'2. Last year it was Buie at 5'11. We now have Cramer eligible who's listed at 6'6 who may be bigger then that but even if that height is accurate we know he plays bigger then 6'6. We bring in Green who's 6'7 and will get some playing time who is a strong rebounder. Last year the game that I recall us getting beat off the boards was the loss against Towson but probably had more to do with effort then size. We had one more rebound a game then we gave up so I'm not sure what you guys mean when you say size is a problem. Kante a bulky 6'7 backed up by Schutte at 6'9 and Trueheart getting minutes at 6'8. Where are we small? Kante at 6'7??
Are we small?? I think it depends on the lineup. if some mix of Cramer, Truehart, and Green can handle the 4 spot, then TC can play the 3. I don't think that lineup is too small because our 3 and 4 can rebound with any other CAA 3 and 4. IK height will only be an issue against a loaded P5 type center.

If TC has to play the 4, then I would agree that we are a little undersized compared to last year when Pemba played a strong 3 (I don't think we would get the same size/strength out of our current potential 3s).
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

We are probably okay height-wise for the CAA, but my concern is when (and if at this point) playing teams from higher rated conferences. Yeah, we beat UCLA last year but shot lights out. The San Jose State loss last year (I won't mention Towson) was also due in part to SJS's superior size. We've struggled against A-10 teams as well, although I didn't see last year's St. Bonnies game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We could very well have problems replacing Buie and Eli but IMO we will be a stronger rebounding team this year then last.Also note that based on my recollection Elmo is a strong rebounder for a PG. I would be surprised if our rebounding is a problem area this upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'd like to have one more skilled big, (Schutte has become serviceable but still not 'it' for me), but to be honest the teams overall size is really not a concern to me at all - will be bigger than last year - that's not HU's style or game plan, and frankly, their approach has worked pretty darn well overall - this is what JM brought to the table, and looking at the full body of work what he's done here has completely turned this program around for the better, no question.

They are a scoring program, and that's perfectly fine, it wins, it just requires at least a reasonably effective D1 level defense to go along with it. For some reason this simple well-known concept took this staff 7 years to get through their heads (looking right at you again on that one Joe), but I think now they've got it hopefully - you are not winning the CAA without D. Stop the BS, stop trying to prove this fact wrong, and just get your program playing properly. Period.

They did this past year, and holy cow, amazingly, who'da thunk it, low and behold, it actually worked! :P :roll: :lol:

And if they would've put aside the ego and macho-ness of trying to force things their way that can't be forced years ago, I firmly believe this team would be on their 2nd or 3rd appearance. I know not all agree, but I'm pretty confident in that. There's no question in my mind that this program has had equal talent to win this league a few times as much as the ones that did, but I digress!

Keep D a focus and this team is going to be exciting and right there in it to win it again.

Overall this team will actually have perfectly adequate size across all positions that it needs to for it's style of play. I do think it's going to take them some time to work out the kinks of replacing the studs, getting their legs under them, etc, but this team is still built to win. I'm really excited to see how Coburn and Ray rise up, I think they're ready, and super pumped to see what Cramer and Green can do at the 4, and Kante is already poised as prob top 3 candidates for best big in the league. Ultimately the season will depend on Cowart, this entire system is built around the PG - HU goes as he does, and I think he's fully talented enough - but can he gel with this team? That will be the key - if he fits like a glove this team wins a LOT. If not, eh, it's gonna be a struggle...

I think the staff took a huge step forward last year, finally starting to figure things out in this league, and Farrelly is becoming the stud assistant JM needs.

Now we just need a season!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The defense is what Farrelly has brought to the table. He lives eats and sleeps it...my guess is that this will be his last year at Hofstra if there's a season. He will get a D1 head coaching job, He's paid his dues.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:The defense is what Farrelly has brought to the table. He lives eats and sleeps it...my guess is that this will be his last year at Hofstra if there's a season. He will get a D1 head coaching job, He's paid his dues.
For the past few seasons, the defense is what has made the difference. If bringing it up to speed has been Farrelly's mission, then he's done a pretty good job.

Kudos to him, and if it gets him his own gig, good for him.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:The defense is what Farrelly has brought to the table. He lives eats and sleeps it...my guess is that this will be his last year at Hofstra if there's a season. He will get a D1 head coaching job, He's paid his dues.
Mihalich always gave him credit this past season for the defense. Hopefully he lays the ground work for Speedy or Colin to take over that defensive focus after he is gone.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

It's been mentioned, but Buie is also a MAJOR reason our defense stepped up so dramatically last season, and that won't be easy to replace.

I'm much less concerned about the 4 spot, and much more concerned about the PG spot and who will step up as the vocal leader of this team. With Buie's departure, we lose our biggest defensive anchor, our offense initiator and "coach on the floor," and our leadership.

The hope is TC/JR can step into a version of those roles, but having them all-in-one with Buie is something that's going to be hard to overcome.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HU87 wrote:It's been mentioned, but Buie is also a MAJOR reason our defense stepped up so dramatically last season, and that won't be easy to replace.

I'm much less concerned about the 4 spot, and much more concerned about the PG spot and who will step up as the vocal leader of this team. With Buie's departure, we lose our biggest defensive anchor, our offense initiator and "coach on the floor," and our leadership.

The hope is TC/JR can step into a version of those roles, but having them all-in-one with Buie is something that's going to be hard to overcome.

Agreed - I dont feel we lost much in the front court; the back court graduates brought skill and experience that could make their graduations very difficult on this years bigs.

It'd be nice if ST gave us more quality minutes then ever before - I know I am missing something but think he could be a nice compliment to and with Kante (as I thought he could've been with Taylor)