MBB Recruits 2020

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by stuball888 »

Its Lovell Smith from Chris the KIng. They list him as a swingman. At 6ft3 he has some size and if he adds an inch or two he can slide in to Pembas spot as a shooting guard.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYlUKfnz0G ... mrt1tmt1oj

Looks like we got out last commit. Anyone know anything about him?
IDK if we hit it out of the park here not finding him on V/C although there's video on you tube. 6'3 guard from Christ The King. I don't think he's Speedy just yet. Looking for H.S. stats. CTK apparently was a mediocre team this year. I leave this one for someone who knows more about his game!

Seems like a great get. He averaged a double double last year. The year prior he probably didnt get as much burn as they had Moussa Cisse on CTK who is a superstar. He transferred and will be playing anywhere in the country. Love NYC CHSAA and PSAL kids.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

IDK if we hit it out of the park here not finding him on V/C although there's video on you tube. 6'3 guard from Christ The King. I don't think he's Speedy just yet. Looking for H.S. stats. CTK apparently was a mediocre team this year. I leave this one for someone who knows more about his game!

Seems like a great get. He averaged a double double last year. The year prior he probably didnt get as much burn as they had Moussa Cisse on CTK who is a superstar. He transferred and will be playing anywhere in the country. Love NYC CHSAA and PSAL kids.
I agree. Smith doesn't have to score 35 ppg ... just play the sound game that CHSAA players are known for.

Maybe we'll get Moussa next year. :)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I took the time to watch the game that was posted on you tube between CTK and South Shore and being honest as a team CTK not real impressive and they won this game. Not too long ago I saw LI Lutheran beat a power house H.S. from California Sierra Canyon and the kid that's going to Illinois(Andre Curbelo) is some kind of player. Smith had 20 points in this game against South Shore but maybe I'm comparing him to a 5 star recruit but he does look athletic. Does anyone know who offered him??
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Any chance this is a "preferred walk-on" or something similar?

I'm just surprised that he's not on a single recruiting radar, especially due to the team and league he plays for.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HU87 wrote:Any chance this is a "preferred walk-on" or something similar?

I'm just surprised that he's not on a single recruiting radar, especially due to the team and league he plays for.
Seems like a real developmental player. Fugly jumper, doesn't seem like a great defender. We should have strong intel on the CTK program though and I like when we take city players, maybe we got a diamond in the rough.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
HU87 wrote:Any chance this is a "preferred walk-on" or something similar?

Seems like a real developmental player. Fugly jumper, doesn't seem like a great defender. We should have strong intel on the CTK program though and I like when we take city players, maybe we got a diamond in the rough.
I was also surprised that he didn't show up on V/C SO I didn't want to pose the walk-on question since Joe said this last schollie would be used on a hit it out of the park recruit. Having said that I give this staff a lot of credit and realize they know what they're doing. As a mid-major school with good recent success we're now dealing from strength so it would seem we're in the drivers seat. We will see how this unfolds.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:

Coach said something along the lines of the last scholly - was gong to be used for a "hit it out of the" park recruit. Agree - on the surface this doesn't appear to be that type of recruit - but BUT I stopped questioning JAM and Speedys assessments of guards. I trust that the kid is athletic/willing to work - and previously said a "diamond in the rough".
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote about the possibility of this kid being a preferred walk-on so maybe we shouldn't assume he's been offered a scholarship? I think this is a reasonable statement. We haven't seen this kid hit V/C yet so we really aren't sure with anything official from HU as to what his status is. Those of you who are privy to this kind of info. can you enlighten us??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Andrew Garcia signs with Georgia. I guess someone else thinks he's real good...would have liked to see him with us...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:Andrew Garcia signs with Georgia. I guess someone else thinks he's real good...would have liked to see him with us...
Saw that -
so one SB transfer goes to Miami, another to Bucknell and now UGa for Garcia (another to Tx-Rio Grande, of which I know nothing of) - not bad program they are going to
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Andrew Garcia signs with Georgia. I guess someone else thinks he's real good...would have liked to see him with us...
Saw that -
so one SB transfer goes to Miami, another to Bucknell and now UGa for Garcia (another to Tx-Rio Grande, of which I know nothing of) - not bad program they are going to
Just don't like the seemingly lack of loyalty to the program and coach but maybe this is the new normal. Our keeping our players even graduate students is a testament to our program and coaching staff. Kudos to Joe and staff. Good for us and bad for S.B. but I'm not feeling sorry for them I enjoy beating them year in and year out.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting pickup... def not the direction I expected. Possible a long-term play, potential they see. This is not the home run type that the staff referenced though. It frustrates me when they say stuff like that and then it doesn't go that way (i.e. Wormley being the missing link nonsense).

This feels like a move you make in the summer after all avenues have been explored - not sure why this one needs to happen now - still feels like a LOT of very good transfer talent out there. Especially after the hype of the CAA champ, NCAAT bid, and the fact they were going after guys like Nelson (who picked Manhattan by the way) and Salnave... feels like we didn't capitalize on that at all.

But who knows, this is the 13th scholly, so could be a great practice guy and spot supporting role. I love HU keeping pipeline to the local power programs, haven't had that in a long time. CTK has been down recently, but traditionally that's a place we want HU honed in on, so that's a positive.
Captain

Post by Captain »

So Connor K graduated and the other walk on left.
I see this young man as a walk on. Are we sure that he was offered a schoolyard?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Captain wrote:So Connor K graduated and the other walk on left.
I see this young man as a walk on. Are we sure that he was offered a schoolyard?
I would have thought we would have the answer to this by now but for what's worth he still doesn't show up on V/C which may not mean anything. How do you know that Gibson has left the program? Is he going to get a scholly offer somewhere else?? I agree with Polito here with plenty of time left and a abundance of transfers why didn't we wait this out even hold the scholarship if in fact we gave him one?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

daHUPride wrote:
Saw that -
Another SB player transferring - to Cal.

Iona PG Washington transferring - might be a quiz one day - name the basketball player that has transferred twice in his college career - both times he transferred it was from coaches that were father and son - Washington transferred from Minnesota (coached by Rich Pitino) and from Iona (coached by father Rick)
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

His former CTK teammate just reclassified. Wast the #8 recruit for class of 2021. Moussa Cisse said he is going to announce next week where he is going.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:His former CTK teammate just reclassified. Wast the #8 recruit for class of 2021. Moussa Cisse said he is going to announce next week where he is going.
I had never heard of this kid but admittedly I don't watch a lot of H.S. basketball starting to get more involved. If we were to get a kid like this as a freshman we could be a top 20-25 team down the road. This kid looks like the real deal but that's just Hempstead Dreaming thinking we could get a caliber recruit like this kid. So did this kid Smith in fact get our last scholarship??
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:His former CTK teammate just reclassified. Wast the #8 recruit for class of 2021. Moussa Cisse said he is going to announce next week where he is going.
I had never heard of this kid but admittedly I don't watch a lot of H.S. basketball starting to get more involved. If we were to get a kid like this as a freshman we could be a top 20-25 team down the road. This kid looks like the real deal but that's just Hempstead Dreaming thinking we could get a caliber recruit like this kid. So did this kid Smith in fact get our last scholarship??
I dont think he is coming to Hofstra, was just throwing it out there. Mac Maclung is announcing his transfer school today as well. We didnt make the top 8
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:Did not notice this earlier but it looks like Allen Betrand transferred from Towson to Rhode Island.
The talent exodus continues from the rest of the league.

Miranda ended up at California Baptist University which plays in the WAC.
Curious where u got that info. Cactus re Miranda I don't see it on V/C which I guess is no surprise. The WAC is ranked 27 out of 32 conferences but Cal Baptist had a decent year finishing in 2nd place and an overall record of 21-10. New Mexico State was the cream of the crop here finishing 25-6 and 16-0 in the conference. I wonder how much playing time he will get there?
https://twitter.com/BarstoolCBU/status/ ... 50917?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I just came across this 2019 FIBA highlight video of Miranda. Is this the same player who languished on our bench this past season? He certainly plays better here than I ever saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VAk3j_WW2s