Different Team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Different Team

Post by HUSID74 »

I have been involved with Hofstra Basketball for a long time. First as a student then athletic dept employee, as a fan and booster and I believe we are building something special in Hempstead this season.

The addition of Traiq Coburn into the starting lineup has given this team a killer instinct, one we have not seen in a long time.

Long way to go but the dismantling of Manhattan and Rider have been strong signals that this team can be special...long way to go but I'm excited about the forthcoming journey!
HofstraMathew

Re: Different Team

Post by HofstraMathew »

Agreed. We seem to be playing solid basketball. Driving to the hoop instead of just launching threes. Beyond solid from the free throw line. Even the defense seems to be better then recent years.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Coburn plays with the intensity that Jason Hernandez did when he played here. If you are shooting about 84% free throws you better be attacking the basket.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Coburn is a different player...more athletic, bigger...can do more...look at his rebounds and shooting...I love him...after the last two games he showed he can be the key to this team...dare I say winning this League.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

TC getting extra minutes just maybe a real game changer. HU is so much more aggressive and tougher. As he mentioned in the post Manhattan game interview, TC feels this is his first real season of college basketball. Coach Joe has given him the opportunity to play, and the confidence to succeed. The four guard set up, with JR off the bench, has really improved the way the team performs in the last few games. Good foul shooting now means more ways to attack the defense and drive to the basket.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Yes indeed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Would love to see us knock the snot out of stony brook on their floor

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe SBU 69 Manhattan 62 Hofstra 80 Manhattan 50
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:I have been involved with Hofstra Basketball for a long time. First as a student then athletic dept employee, as a fan and booster and I believe we are building something special in Hempstead this season.assin

The addition of Traiq Coburn into the starting lineup has given this team a killer instinct, one we have not seen in a long time.

Long way to go but the dismantling of Manhattan and Rider have been strong signals that this team can be special...long way to go but I'm excited about the forthcoming journey!
I was driving to work this morning thinking the EXACT same thing that HUSID74 writes here - and thinking what is different about this team.
We are bit under the radar then some of the other teams.
JFW is different - I loved watching Green, Jenkins and Stokes; and those 3 were able to take a team on their back and carry them to the finish line. JFW - is like an assassin - he waits and when its his time boom - a 3 pointer, a backdoor dunk, and slash to the lane - just like that.
JAM - is a bit calmer; we've also come to know what to expect from him.
Taylor - is the right guy for us. Not pouting bigman that feels slighted when he doesn't get the ball - plays with spirit, moves well and hits his free throws.
Couborn - is such a nice addition.
Buie 0 is playing a strong mature role - JAM seems to be very comfortable with DB at the wheel.
Eli - does what he does and does what the does well. When need scores, rebounds, plays D against bigger opponents - game in game out our unsung hero.
BENCH - seem to know their spot on the team - DD, ST and JR.
Lets stay under the radar a bit longer; avoid previous season hype and as previously mentioned stay "excited about the forthcoming journey".
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Coburn plays with the intensity that Jason Hernandez did when he played here. If you are shooting about 84% free throws you better be attacking the basket.
He's shooting free throws .778. We've had eight players attempt free throws, and everybody except Trueheart is shooting at least .765, which is higher than our team season record of .761 from 2010-2011. That team had a majority of their attempts by Jenkins (.824) and Moore (.852). Imes and Washington, the two starting forwards, combined to shoot .661, which isn't great but is better than some forwards.

We now have the best Sagarin in the CAA. We're 103rd and Northeastern is 104th, while both teams are at 76.64 when rounded to the nearest hundredth.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I am cautiously optimistic - not in a negative way, I am becoming more and more bullish on this squad - but there is a LOT of history to erase here, and we need to see this against the much tougher CAA slate.

But as I've noted for a bit now, this team has a real chance because it is finally, thankfully, showing a killer instinct due to Mr. JWF. HU has had some super guard talent over the years, and recently under JM. But this kid displays the absolutely vital attitude that's been missing - it's the 'we are winning, no matter what you do', and 'I am in total control and I will lead the charge, and there's nothing you can do about it' type stuff. The others just felt different, a little softer, a little more of ok well I guess I best step up here - and they had the talent to do it, but this is about DOG. And he's showing it.

AND even better, it's spreading. That's leadership. And that's what it takes to win the CAA and go dancing.

TC has really never had a chance to shine - even in HS he wasn't used in this way, so although I'm not surprised the kid can play, he has shown more than ever before, and I think anyone expected - with you guys, it took about 2 minutes before I said this kid is incredible, and I love everything about him - if he was 6'6 he'd be unstoppable - of course, as Stu noted to me, he'd also be playing for Duke :P

Even still, he just may be what puts this all over the top. Even JWF's killer instinct will need the right help to get this boulder over the hill, and he's got it. Great points about the rest of the team owning and thriving in their roles, that is a huge help that gels a team into a well-oiled machine.

A LOT to like - SBU is playing solid, so a nice test coming up, but the real deal is CAA play - I want to see them handle those games the way the are now against much stiffer competition on a nightly basis. But there's no denying things have a very different very exciting confidence growing feeling...
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

This team playing very well right now and doing to teams what they should be doing. Just exciting to see them having won 8 of 11 and pretty much all close losses against good teams. That being said, I’m worried that this team is too guard dependent now with TC in the lineup. How are we going to matchup against a devontae cacock type player? Can we even handle them? I hope so but I think this teams Achilles heel is any sort of competent big man. I’m worried about that.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Each game TC shows us a little more...loved the baseline jam against Manhattan...also had one against Rider but he was not being defended as closely on that one....I think TC will only continue to improve because he seem's to be that kind of kid....happy he still has two more seasons with us following this one....potentially 1st team all conference as early as next season... TC is making a believer out of me
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Tareq Coburn- Our most undervalued asset IMO. He's played a total of 25 minutes this season, which I'd like to see increase. We need someone to come off the bench in the stretch 4 mold, which we've tried to do with him in a few spots over the last 3 games. We don't need him to be Ameen Tanksley, but more of a Malik Nichols, who can be counted on to come in with some size and energy to make an impact with the 2nd unit. All his recruiting information out of HS preached his versatility-- which is exactly what we need right now.
I wrote that around a month ago after our 3rd game of the season when TC only played a handful of minutes. He took this and went to the next level. Someone on another thread mentioned him as a Malik Nichols with an offense-- that's both accurate and exciting.

In fairness though, we need to see this improvement and consistency against good opponents. If we come in and kick SBU around, I'll get excited.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HU87, he was the difference maker against Rider as well and they are more talented and athletic than Stony Brook...I think his game will translate well in CAA play because he plays hard and is physical going to the basket and rebounding...everyone here is calling him a guard but he is more of a slashing 3 IMO.

Having said that we need to get Trueheart back in the picture...to the point where he is contributing a good 10-20 minutes a game as well as Wormley...who has skills to offer and makes us deeper, along with the continued improvement of our two-headed center...I believe that they are still knocking the rust off after not playing much in the past couple of years and if they can stay healthy I see their contributions increasing...Against Manhattan Taylor was a factor in the paint on defense...just needs a few more touches on offense...and guards who don't pass him the ball too low!!!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote: How are we going to matchup against a devontae cacock type player? Can we even handle them? I hope so but I think this teams Achilles heel is any sort of competent big man. I’m worried about that.
Won't guys like Cacok be guarded by Taylor and Dwyer with it not mattering whether Coburn or Trueheart is playing? Looking at UNCW's statistics, I would guess Coburn or Trueheart would guard Jeantal Cylla. Of their starters other than Cacok, Cylla averages the most rebounds and the second lowest percent of his field goal attempts that are threes. Kai Toews doesn't attempt many threes, but with 6.7 assists it's obvious that he's a point guard, not a forward. Cacok is shooting a little better than last season, but his points, rebounds, fouls, assists, and turnovers per game are all worse than last season.

William & Mary has Nathan Knight and Justin Pierce both averaging at least 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists, which is rare in college. No other CAA player is averaging that this season, and Drexel's Tramaine Isabell in 2017-2018 and Towson's Jerrelle Benimon in 2013-2014 are the CAA players who have done that in the last 13 complete seasons.
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ wrote:
RIP_HOFUSA wrote: How are we going to matchup against a devontae cacock type player? Can we even handle them? I hope so but I think this teams Achilles heel is any sort of competent big man. I’m worried about that.
Won't guys like Cacok be guarded by Taylor and Dwyer with it not mattering whether Coburn or Trueheart is playing? Looking at UNCW's statistics, I would guess Coburn or Trueheart would guard Jeantal Cylla. Of their starters other than Cacok, Cylla averages the most rebounds and the second lowest percent of his field goal attempts that are threes. Kai Toews doesn't attempt many threes, but with 6.7 assists it's obvious that he's a point guard, not a forward. Cacok is shooting a little better than last season, but his points, rebounds, fouls, assists, and turnovers per game are all worse than last season.

William & Mary has Nathan Knight and Justin Pierce both averaging at least 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists, which is rare in college. No other CAA player is averaging that this season, and Drexel's Tramaine Isabell in 2017-2018 and Towson's Jerrelle Benimon in 2013-2014 are the CAA players who have done that in the last 13 complete seasons.

The tough matchup you're looking for RIP_HOFUSA is actually against CoC. Harris will be at the 5 (and match up against JT and DD) and Brantley will be the 4. Not only is Brantley about 6'7", but he's in the 240-250 lb range. He is very talented (at and away from the basket) and will be a tough matchup for every team not just HU. Does not matter if we play TC or ST, neither one matches up against Brantley.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We will not be playing much man to man so it really does not matter that much
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

More of a matchup zone
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:More of a matchup zone
That's right. Man or zone, most mid majors, and no one in the CAA (as far as I recall) match up well against this type of guy in the 4 spot.