Joe Extended? WTF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Joe Extended? WTF

Post by Hofstra »

How can we extend Mihalich? He has more new contracts this offseason than recruits, which is 1. This is upsetting to say the least.
HU87

Re: Joe Extended? WTF

Post by HU87 »

Source?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

For how long and how much
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

If its true well deserved and congrats to Joe...this way he can finish his career here if he wants.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hm, I haven't seen anything yet, but perhaps this is the news coming out of the banquet?

Let's def see if this is confirmed. But man if this is true, good Lord...this U would show they really have no high expectations or true desire to win what matters. I'm sorry HUSID, but well deserved based on WHAT exactly??? I'm not trying to be rude, but what have they done to earn an extension during this offseason?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be extended at some point, but can we at least wait until this next season to see if this is the staff we really feel is right to lead HU to the next level?

Because so far, if everyone is being honest, they really haven't shown it. This sets a bad example of complacency and 'free rides' IMO.

I know, forgive me, I am supposed to ask permission of the snowflake charmin posters around here before I am allowed to offer a perspective.

What I can say is you know who got an extension who actually deserves it and earned it through winning champs and dancing? Tim Cluess. Great final move by Cole to ensure he leaves the program in great hands.

Sure hope he has the same standards here... because something like this would show the complete opposite.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Win a CAA championship.....make it to the BIG DANCE...then talk extension !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

When does his current contract expire? i thought he was under contract for the next year or two. Don't understand the rush. Does anyone on the board think that JM will leave after the next year or two for another position (assuming he doesn't get extended). I thought he was the highest paid coach in the CAA - if he left today, I would imagine, he would be looking at a pay cut.

I know this is a university environment, but do coaches get tenure? :lol: :lol:
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Let me tell you guys that he would not have gotten an extension without Cole's approval and support...so what does that tell you?
garyg

Post by garyg »

If it was a Rabinowitz idea what is Cole gonna do, say NO...LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

Unfortunately it tells me Rab still rules with absolute authority, and Cole literally has not an ounce of power to enact change. Well, that didn't take long.

There is no way in hell a new AD does not want the right to assess the situation before making some big commitment. There is just no reason for this to be done now. He has 2 years left, can we friggin wait to see what he does next year?? I see nothing worthy of ANOTHER extension when he didn't earn the last one IMO.

What's the rush? Recruits don't give one iota about AD situations, the guys they're going after are 1 yrs and Jucos who won't be around if JM wasn't renewed, and let's be honest here, there isn't a single program threatening to come hire JM away. None.

I'd rather put them on the hook to produce this year - let's see some actual pressure to win - the constant rewards for very little is really frustrating and counter-productive - sets a poor example IMO. There is zero expectation to win anything of substance here, and this proves it.

All we've done is set them at ease, create more complacency, provide no pressure to produce, and cut this high potential program off from any young up and coming stud coaches who could actually put HU on the map.

I'm saddened by this unnecessary move. Guess just having the possibility of CIT invites is the standard around here. More lip service about real championships and NCAAT appearances. Really disheartened by this.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also I thought speedy was the coach in waiting. What does that do for his future
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Unfortunately it tells me Rab still rules with absolute authority, and Cole literally has not an ounce of power to enact change. Well, that didn't take long.

There is no way in hell a new AD does not want the right to assess the situation before making some big commitment. There is just no reason for this to be done now. He has 2 years left, can we friggin wait to see what he does next year?? I see nothing worthy of ANOTHER extension when he didn't earn the last one IMO.

What's the rush? Recruits don't give one iota about AD situations, the guys they're going after are 1 yrs and Jucos who won't be around if JM wasn't renewed, and let's be honest here, there isn't a single program threatening to come hire JM away. None.

I'd rather put them on the hook to produce this year - let's see some actual pressure to win - the constant rewards for very little is really frustrating and counter-productive - sets a poor example IMO. There is zero expectation to win anything of substance here, and this proves it.

All we've done is set them at ease, create more complacency, provide no pressure to produce, and cut this high potential program off from any young up and coming stud coaches who could actually put HU on the map.

I'm saddened by this unnecessary move. Guess just having the possibility of CIT invites is the standard around here. More lip service about real championships and NCAAT appearances. Really disheartened by this.
I got dumber from reading this post.

What does Rabinowitz have to do with this? Joe's making a ton of money, it's not like the university is skimping out by extending Joe instead of looking for another candidate. This is a non-story in my opinion. It's a recruiting advantage to show a prospective player that the HC has a stable future, and that they would be committing to a stable program, especially when their HC is getting up there in age. Whether Joe stays for 4 years or not, why wouldn't we want him to have 4-5 years on his contract? We don't even know the specifics to the contract, there could easily be a buyout clause in it, that makes it financially beneficial for both parties to part ways if we suck.

You make this stupid argument over and over again that by putting their jobs on the line, the coaching staff will somehow perform better, like they're not trying their hardest to win now. I just don't buy that. The staff is not stupid, they know their defense stinks, whether their jobs are on the line or not. They know they need to make changes next year in that area to get us over the top. If we were grossly incompetent it would be another issue, but we finished 3rd in '18 and won the regular season in '16. It's not like we're constantly falling flat on our face.

Every story here gets hijacked to be negative, even for non-issues. We should want Hofstra to run a class program. Joe's done a class job and he should at least be given stability. If we fall off, we can cross that bridge when we get there, but I don't believe in using shyster tactics to theoretically squeeze out more performance from a team/staff that has not shown a lack of effort or preparation. Joe's been around too long to play contract games with him and his staff.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

This board would have ran what's his name out of the building in 1997.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:Unfortunately it tells me Rab still rules with absolute authority, and Cole literally has not an ounce of power to enact change. Well, that didn't take long.

I got dumber from reading this post.

What does Rabinowitz have to do with this? Joe's making a ton of money, it's not like the university is skimping out by extending Joe instead of looking for another candidate. This is a non-story in my opinion. It's a recruiting advantage to show a prospective player that the HC has a stable future, and that they would be committing to a stable program, especially when their HC is getting up there in age. Whether Joe stays for 4 years or not, why wouldn't we want him to have 4-5 years on his contract? We don't even know the specifics to the contract, there could easily be a buyout clause in it, that makes it financially beneficial for both parties to part ways if we suck.

You make this stupid argument over and over again that by putting their jobs on the line, the coaching staff will somehow perform better, like they're not trying their hardest to win now. I just don't buy that. The staff is not stupid, they know their defense stinks, whether their jobs are on the line or not. They know they need to make changes next year in that area to get us over the top. If we were grossly incompetent it would be another issue, but we finished 3rd in '18 and won the regular season in '16. It's not like we're constantly falling flat on our face.

Every story here gets hijacked to be negative, even for non-issues. We should want Hofstra to run a class program. Joe's done a class job and he should at least be given stability. If we fall off, we can cross that bridge when we get there, but I don't believe in using shyster tactics to theoretically squeeze out more performance from a team/staff that has not shown a lack of effort or preparation. Joe's been around too long to play contract games with him and his staff.

Well said Flying Dutchman.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

HofstraHockey wrote:This board would have ran what's his name out of the building in 1997.
FACT!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

HofstraHockey wrote:This board would have ran what's his name out of the building in 1997.
Haha! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G24

Post by G24 »

I love how Polito knows what Cole wants to do more than Cole knows.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Guys what makes you think that things are going to be different with Cole than they were with The last two AD. Both of them quit while they still had time left on their contract. I guess you guys can predict the future
G24

Post by G24 »

stuball888 wrote:Guys what makes you think that things are going to be different with Cole than they were with The last two AD. Both of them quit while they still had time left on their contract. I guess you guys can predict the future
Yeah, we might as well declare Cole a failure now and fire him. I guess you can predict the future.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Never said that stop putting words in my mouth. Listen carefully what I said is don’t expect things to change in athletics as long as Rabinowitz is president FACt Hathaway interviews for the StJohns position. You don’t do that unless you are not happy where you are. He quit as did the AD before him. Both while they had time left on their contract Now maybe I just may be wrong but I will not hold my breath.