Men's Lax 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by Polito »

It would be an absolute insult to HU and the CAA if they are not #1 at this point

They are an established lax program, from a good/legit lax Conference, with a decent schedule and a couple of good wins...

Anything less would be a crime honestly - switch HUs name with Hopkins and tell me they wouldn't be #1 undefeated at this point in the season

That said, I HOPE HU isn't!! I want that insult and for them to keep playing with that chip on the shoulder all the way through!! :P

10-0 - this was another strong W, and again on the road - seriously, kudos to the fellas - stay hungry focused and together and this could finally turn out to be THE season expected from this program

I will say, this is feeling better than the past and I'll tell ya why IMO: the LOCKER ROOM is different - the PLAYERS seem to have the right ATTITUDE and COHESIVENESS that may have been missing in the past - this is THE most encouraging thing I see thus far - and all the players keep taking about it - that to me is what is causing even my optimism

HU has had talent before - but combine talent with TEAM and you may have something...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The media poll is out... Hofstra remains at #3 despite being undefeated. Penn State loses and somehow still moves up a spot to #1... the point of my previous post is that being 1 is a jinx this season, but it would be still be nice for the team to get the respect they deserve.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/di/polls/17
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Not moving up is a slap in the face. But then again, let this serve as motivation as Polito said, to keep playing HUNGRY!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Thought we would at least move up to #2. Our SOS is really weak which is what is holding us back. We actually dropped in the RPI after the win on Saturday (from 4 to 6).
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ProudofPride wrote:The media poll is out... Hofstra remains at #3 despite being undefeated. Penn State loses and somehow still moves up a spot to #1... the point of my previous post is that being 1 is a jinx this season, but it would be still be nice for the team to get the respect they deserve.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/di/polls/17
I think you might have been looking at an old poll. Looks like we did move up to #2 and Syracuse is #1.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Going to be hard to move up to #1 after this week. A team we should crush on the horizon in 4-6 Drexel. I am happy at #2..
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I'm fine being two or three. Just so we are number one when it counts
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean #2 is ok, but if I'm HU and the CAA I take this as a b!tch slap to the face. There is no excuse for HU not to be ranked #1. You cannot have a legit program from a legit conference with a 10-0 record and the only undefeated team left in the nation with at least enough quality wins to make it respectable, and NOT have them #1 without completely minimizing their program and their conference.

If I'm Hathaway and the CAA commish, I'm making noise about it to the folks 'in charge'.

But I do absolutely love it. Keep that FIRE burning bright man.

I hope these guys get straight furious stay 100% focused and win the whole damn thing.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

We have one quality win. UNC is a fringe tournament team right now. Syracuse has beaten 3 top 10 RPI teams (we have beaten zero) and Syracuse's only loss is a one goal loss to #12 in the RPI. Lets see what Syracuse does verse UNC this week but right now I think you have to say Syracuse is the better team on paper even with one loss.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Mathew is right.

The rankings don't mean anything. they don't influence at-large selections, they're just recognition of who's hot and who's not. In our case, the rankings put a spotlight on our program and maybe, just maybe, turn a few recruits' heads our way.

Hope to see all of the Hofstra faithful at Shuart Stadium Saturday night for the Drexel game.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraMathew wrote:We have one quality win. UNC is a fringe tournament team right now. Syracuse has beaten 3 top 10 RPI teams (we have beaten zero) and Syracuse's only loss is a one goal loss to #12 in the RPI. Lets see what Syracuse does verse UNC this week but right now I think you have to say Syracuse is the better team on paper even with one loss.
I would say two quality wins, Princeton and UNC, who are both RPI top 20 now. Providence and Stony Brook both could also be top 20 wins as well when all is said and done.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:We have one quality win. UNC is a fringe tournament team right now. Syracuse has beaten 3 top 10 RPI teams (we have beaten zero) and Syracuse's only loss is a one goal loss to #12 in the RPI. Lets see what Syracuse does verse UNC this week but right now I think you have to say Syracuse is the better team on paper even with one loss.
I would say two quality wins, Princeton and UNC, who are both RPI top 20 now. Providence and Stony Brook both could also be top 20 wins as well when all is said and done.
I guess I have a tough time considering top 20 a quality win when only 16 teams make the tournament (after the true play in games). Maybe UNC will beat Syracuse this week and jump up in the rankings and RPI. If that happens and we take care of business verse Drexel we will be #1.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hopefully we have a big crowd against Drexel. It's the annual Headstrong Hero Bowl, so that may bring a little bit bigger crowd. Plus I saw somewhere that the pep band will be there, so that will be some extra students. The school should do a lot of advertising for the game, and try to do a giveaway for students.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Isn't it spring break this week? Hopefully the students are back in full force by Saturday night, currently the weather reports have it being a mild night.

#2 is well deserved, we really only had one cupcake game against NJIT, but our style isn't conducive to blowing out teams, so we maybe are not getting the hype we deserve despite the #2 ranking. I think we will pull out the stops in the NCAAT though, which we should be a near lock if we can finish CAA play 4-1.

#2 has to be our highest ranking in any D-1 sport, I know Men's Lax got there in '06, but we're in unprecedented territory right now, I just hope we can touch #1 at some point, this has been a really fun team to watch.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Isn't it spring break this week? Hopefully the students are back in full force by Saturday night, currently the weather reports have it being a mild night.

#2 is well deserved, we really only had one cupcake game against NJIT, but our style isn't conducive to blowing out teams, so we maybe are not getting the hype we deserve despite the #2 ranking. I think we will pull out the stops in the NCAAT though, which we should be a near lock if we can finish CAA play 4-1.

#2 has to be our highest ranking in any D-1 sport, I know Men's Lax got there in '06, but we're in unprecedented territory right now, I just hope we can touch #1 at some point, this has been a really fun team to watch.
Spring break was in March since Hofstra now runs a secular calendar so hopefully will get some students out, if nothing else some of the athletes. If weather is nice could see it being in 2,000 range.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maryland drew 7337 for their last game. This is the number two team in the country. We should be all over the news and the papers school must reach out to newsday channel 12 Fios 1 and what ever radio connections we have . It's time to have a media blitz
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Maryland drew 7337 for their last game. This is the number two team in the country. We should be all over the news and the papers school must reach out to newsday channel 12 Fios 1 and what ever radio connections we have . It's time to have a media blitz
News 12 and Fios both have nice features on Hofstra lax success last week. I'm sure that will continue with perhaps more national outlets if we continue this run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes and the Sony Brook loss to Princeton still got more space last week... a joke!
Last edited by HUSID80 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

stuball888 wrote:Maryland drew 7337 for their last game. This is the number two team in the country. We should be all over the news and the papers school must reach out to newsday channel 12 Fios 1 and what ever radio connections we have . It's time to have a media blitz
Stu, you know we have zero shot to compete with a school like Maryland in sports numbers.. The amount of of students on campus far exceeds ours, as well as the local interests they drum up.