Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

I'll take typical Hofstra every time with a 10-1 record
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

The typical being the loss in a big spot and never exceeding expectations.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This team has already exceeded expectations. We were ranked in the 30's pre season and third in the CAA.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We check in at #10 in the Inside Lacrosse poll.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No matter what we do from here to the tournament. Will we crack the top 5. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team at best
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:This team has already exceeded expectations. We were ranked in the 30's pre season and third in the CAA.
Expectations change when you start 10-0 and you have big opportunity in front of you. If we don't make NCAAs after starting this hot season will be major dissapointment.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bad loss for sure, but really can't be too upset when the team is 10-1 - heck even I can give them a break for that lol - it has actually been an awesome season thus far

Doesn't mean this loss is ok, but no one could honestly be expecting this team, lead by ST and this staff, to remain undefeated - I know some of you get annoyed at my stuck on repeat stuff, but the truth is the truth. They have produced well above their reality this season. The team clearly has a real/major weakness and struggles to finish (shocker), they haven't been able to correct it, and it finally bit them in the ass.

Hopefully the wake up call.

That said, every 'top' team has had a questionable loss, including the #1's, so certainly HU isn't alone, and the season still carries MUCH promise IF they can actually come through and FINISH. This season feels to me like there is no clear cut true #1 above everyone else, so everything is still up for grabs - it will be very interesting to see how HU responds.

Gonna go 1 of 2 ways: either they fold, collapse, and continue to lose and fail to make the NCAAT (which would be THE most epic fail of this staff in their HU career), OR they bounce right back and show their real mettle

There is still only one day that matters IMO for this staff and program, and that is 5/6. That's it. Don't give a rip about anything else. Just WIN IT.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I know you like to blame ST, but it's really hard to blame him for guys just not executing. He seems to have them ready to start games (which had been a problem in the past)- the finish has to come from the players. It's not strategy or anything, at least doesn't appear that way to me. Guys just need to finish. They score 11 a game. Two in the second half does NOT cut it. Those guys need to finish the chances they have. I know that you stall a bit in lacrosse, but this isn't hockey where you just dump it down and defend, or football where it's run-run-run-punt and try and kill the clock. If you have an offensive possession, you have a chance to score. And they stop scoring.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

A few days after the loss, I've backed off the ledge, that was just a bad one.

UMass and Towson are our toughest tests in the CAA. We have to try to find a way to bounce back after that excruciating loss, and take care of UMass. I guess the silver lining could be that the pressure of being the only undefeated team is now gone, and we can just focus on execution. Looking forward to Saturday's game, it should be our best crowd of the year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:No matter what we do from here to the tournament. Will we crack the top 5. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team at best
Drexel looked far from mediocre Saturday night. But if the Dragons are mediocre, I won't mind them losing their next two games.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://twitter.com/HofstraPride/status ... 0531112964

Nice promotion at link above about Hofstra giving away free sub coupons to Jersey Mike's to first 100 Hofstra students at game and free Hofstra lacrosse tank tops to first 500 fans. Hopefully there is a great turnout for this monster game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HH: 100% the Head Coach will catch the blame, and that is the way it is. He is the only constant in this program and it's constant underachieving over the last decade. That's how it works. You start blaming players and you might as well pack it in, you've lost.

Never happens in a winning program. NEVER. In ANY sport at ANY level. A good HC ALWAYS takes the blame, period. Just like a CEO.

And to ST's credit he has not done that to my knowledge, I'm just speaking to your comment that it isn't fair to blame him. Um, lol, life ain't fair :D and neither is being the HC. His ship, good bad or otherwise.

Also, your point about 2nd half or 4th quarter drop-off, looking at it objectively doesn't that scream opponents are adjusting and HU isn't??

That to me is coaching and strategy, no?

Real question - I'm not a lax guru, so just looking at that how I would look at any sport. If you're not adjusting in any game, yeah, you're going to see some issues at the end of games...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Of note, the club lacrosse team is hosting a special game in honor of Joe Ferriso on Sunday, and it looks like the D1 team may have a part in it. Looks like a good event, if anyone is able to make it out. http://thehofstrachronicle.com/first-an ... ld-sunday/
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I think the starters just get tired...Most teams cycle in multiple lines on offense and we don't, so naturally guys get tired going against fresher legs.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Seem to be doing alright today though, all things considered. UMass is a decent team.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We take care of business with a 15-8 win vs UMass...we got a little shaky early in the third period, letting UMass creep back into the game but some strong work in goal and a great offensive performance win the day.

Still of concern is our weakness at face offs, we are consistency losing this battle and Towson, who we must beat on the road next week is strong at the X...hope Seth an Co. Can come up with some new wrinkles here.

Still we're 11-1...great season thus far!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Weird game, sloppy at times with lots of turnovers and penalties and a couple failed clears, but great to see the team bounce back with an overall dominating win. One bright side, we outscored Mass 3-2 in the 4th quarter, i'm not sure we've outscored an opponent in the 4th quarter since NJIT. Hopefully it'll mean the team has some momentum heading into next week against Towson. Regardless of TU's outcome against Fairfield today (currently down 7-4), it will determine which team hosts the CAA championship.

CAA Commissioner was in attendance https://twitter.com/joeyd812/status/855892292917481473
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I don't think so- if Drexel doesn't lose, and Hofstra wins next week, wouldn't Drexel host?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Hofstra Hockey, according to a post on the Lax Power Message Board, if HU defeats TU and DU defeats UM, DU is the host for the games on Thursday May 4th and the Championship on Saturday May 6th.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The CAA should want the playoffs at Hofstra. More national attention, best team in the League...