Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Jojogunne »

Looks like we reached out to Riley right away. But if Pitino moves to SJU, I wonder if Riley would go there?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:Jameer Nelson Jr. leaving Delaware and entering the portal.
I'm sure Dad wants him to play at a higher level to get more exposure. Thinking locally, maybe Nova?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:Jameer Nelson Jr. leaving Delaware and entering the portal.
I'm sure Dad wants him to play at a higher level to get more exposure. Thinking locally, maybe Nova?
Quite possibly. He's from Chester, PA, only about 20 minutes south of 'Nova.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Looks like we reached out to Riley right away. But if Pitino moves to SJU, I wonder if Riley would go there?
If we can get this kid it would be a huge acquisition and a great way to start the recruiting season from the Portal that's. Speedy work your MAGIC!! https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-basketb ... iley/13378
Polito

Post by Polito »

Riley might want a big time program but he has little to sell. Only averaged 4 and a half points and 3 boards a game, and has an awful % from 3. What he needs is real coaching and development. That's why he doesn't have a huge suitor list of P5's.

HU should absolutely have a shot with him - esp after what Speedy has shown with AE, same size and has skill, just needs the right environment to thrive. He could be one of the next greats - has all the tools. The exact kind of player who can flourish with HU.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

Throwing a name out there that just hit the portal who from his bio/stats feels like someone Hofstra should be interested in....Charles Pride, 6'4 senior G from Bryant who has 1 grad year of eligibility left.

Was 2nd team America East this season, averaged 14.6 pts, 6.1 reb, 2.4 ast, 1.3 steals and shot 37% from 3. 1st team NEC as a junior 2 yrs ago. Over 1,500 career points. From Syracuse and spent prep year in CT.

Admittedly never seen him play but reads like someone who could make a Tyler Thomas type impact.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like that possibility - pretty sure HU recruited him at some point.

His name checks out, seems like it would make sense!
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchPride86 wrote:Throwing a name out there that just hit the portal who from his bio/stats feels like someone Hofstra should be interested in....Charles Pride, 6'4 senior G from Bryant who has 1 grad year of eligibility left.

Was 2nd team America East this season, averaged 14.6 pts, 6.1 reb, 2.4 ast, 1.3 steals and shot 37% from 3. 1st team NEC as a junior 2 yrs ago. Over 1,500 career points. From Syracuse and spent prep year in CT.

Admittedly never seen him play but reads like someone who could make a Tyler Thomas type impact.
Pretty sure I mentioned his name a long time ago in another thread here, mainly just because of his last name, but also because he's been a good player. Didn't know he entered the portal though. Pride on the Pride is just too natural of a fit. Would like to see it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
dutchPride86 wrote:Throwing a name out there that just hit the portal who from his bio/stats feels like someone Hofstra should be interested in....Charles Pride, 6'4 senior G from Bryant who has 1 grad year of eligibility left.

Pretty sure I mentioned his name a long time ago in another thread here, mainly just because of his last name, but also because he's been a good player. Didn't know he entered the portal though. Pride on the Pride is just too natural of a fit. Would like to see it.
I didn't connect the dots but almost like it's meant to be. Fate if u will, lol!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know I’m showing my age, but I wonder if this young man is related to country singer Charley pride
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Seems to be a very solid player. If we landed him and Riley, we would have two former NYS "Mr. Basketball" award winners on the team:

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/m ... arles_1ao2
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Now wouldn't that be something. I would be happy with either one.
Polito

Post by Polito »

The NIT is no NCAAT, but if HU can make a real run here and get to Vegas, that would be enough shine to make this program even more attractive.

I believe in Speedy's recruiting, but would love to see it juiced up with some national hype. That's the next level HU needs to really become all it can.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sean Durugordon - 6'5" SF that HU tried to get 2 years ago out of high school. He signed with Mizzou, then transferred after one year to Austin Peay (averaged 12 ppg and 6 rpg). He is from Queens - maybe its time for him to come home!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Sean Durugordon - 6'5" SF that HU tried to get 2 years ago out of high school. He signed with Mizzou, then transferred after one year to Austin Peay (averaged 12 ppg and 6 rpg). He is from Queens - maybe its time for him to come home!
Perhaps. He was Austin Peay's leading scorer this season, but the 12 ppg were on 11 shots per game. He only shot 39.5% overall and 31% from 3.

However, maybe those shooting percentages improve given that 1) it was only his first real year, 2) he was on a bad team (9-22, finished in last place in the ASun), and 3) he may enjoy playing near home again for a local school that he knows wanted him from the start. He could thrive a little more and be more efficient on a better team at HU than at AP. Worth a second look now especially if they originally tried to recruit him out of high school - I would guess that HU is already exploring this as a possible option.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

Amare Marshall transferring per his IG
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

This was not really a surprise. We all would like to know why his utilization was so inconsistent. Also, It would not surprise me if there were a few other players entering the portal. Just checked Verbal Commits, there are already over 600 players in the transfer portal.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

The Shadow wrote:This was not really a surprise. We all would like to know why his utilization was so inconsistent. Also, It would not surprise me if there were a few other players entering the portal. Just checked Verbal Commits, there are already over 600 players in the transfer portal.
There should be no surprises - in the new transfer world - in my eyes there are two types of players

A kid who gets no playing time "PT" - and want to go to a school where he is getting in the game - Marshall would that type of player
OR
A kid that is getting "PT" - and now wants to take his talent to a bigger show - a Dubar could be that type of player

It is what it is - what we lose in a Marshall - we got back in a Tyler Thomas, Williams and NBY

In is the "new" recruiting -

I Imagine - the sell at Hofstra is - you come here and break our lineup, your willing to play "D" and can shoot - youll get plenty of scoring opportunities
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

jaspegs wrote:Amare Marshall transferring per his IG
Not sure the story here but definitely a shame it couldn't work out, put up an efficient 24 vs Purdue and clearly had an extra gear that other guys don't have. Could see it in just the last minute against Cincy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I for one am surprised that Marshall is transferring since he would appear to be in line to start next year certainly get some consideration for Estrada's minutes if in fact Aaron is leaving. Something may be imminently going on that we aren't privy to like a new transfer signing?