Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Game #20 vs Towson

Post by stuball888 »

Any predictions?
EvanJ

Re: Game #20 vs Towson

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/1/14/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview.

http://gohofstra.com/documents/2017/1/1 ... game20.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://towsontigers.com/news/2017/1/18/ ... ath=mbball is Towson's preview. John Davis became the 25th Towson player to score 1,000 points. Hofstra has had 34 players score 1,000 points.

http://towsontigers.com/documents/2017/ ... ynotes.pdf is Towson's Game Notes.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video will have video.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=148195 will have statistics.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has Towson's statistics.

Hofstra is starting Powers, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Gustys, and Bernardi.

Towson is starting Deshaun Mormom (guard), Brian Starr (guard), Mike Morsell (guard), Arnaud William Adala Moto (forward), and Alex Thomas (forward).

Edit: With 11:39 left in the first half, Hofstra leads 16-11. Powers doesn't have any assists and Gustys has only 1 rebound. Hofstra hasn't made a three-pointer, but they have made 8 out of 9 free throws. Powers leads Hofstra with 5 points.
Last edited by EvanJ on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

6 fouls on Towson (2 on Hofstra) within the first 3:19.

4 of those Towson fouls had the Tigers' too two scorers (Morsell and Adala Moto, last week's CAA co-POW) on the bench early with two fouls each.

If Hofstra can't take advantage of that, they don't deserve to win. Right now, it's 11-10, Hofstra, 13:25 left in the opening half.

UPDATE: after 7:09, two more Towson had with 2 fouls each. A bit later, Hofstra has opened a 20-11 lead.
Last edited by Wags on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 25-13. With 9:51 left in the first half (over a quarter of the game having been played), Pemberton made the first three-pointer of the game for either team.

Edit: Hofstra's lead is down from 32-16 to 32-24 with 4:02 left in the first half. Towson has 2 assists and 9 turnovers.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mihalich doesn't wait for the under-4. Calls time out at 4:02, after Towson a 21-6 Hofstra run with 8 straight points.

HU's 32-16 lead cut in half at 32-24.

A Towson 3 makes it 11 straight. At the other end, Morsell tried to step over Gustys (?) but stepped on him. Officials looked at it but no tech called. Big - would've been Morsell's 3rd PF. Towson has five guys (still 4 starters) with 2 each now.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We had a 16 point point lead, up 32-16, but Towson is now on a 13-0 run to come within 3, 32-29. We'd have an easier time holding onto the lead if we could get some rebounds.

That should've been a tech. If it was the other way around with a Hofstra player doing that, we all know it would've been one
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:We had a 16 point point lead, up 32-16, but Towson is now on a 13-0 run to come within 3, 32-29. We'd have an easier time holding onto the lead if we could get some rebounds.

That should've been a tech. If it was the other way around with a Hofstra player doing that, we all know it would've been one
Hofstra responded well to that Towson run with the next 7 to go up 39-29. Now up 40-32 at the half.

Bernardi: 2 pts on 2 FTs, hasn't taken a 3... got 18 min, Greer just 7. Last game, Bernardi played the full 40, Greer 14. Greer not in foul trouble in either game. Don't get it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 40-32 at halftime. Bernardi missed both of his field goals, and he hasn't attempted a three-pointer! Zane Martin (13), Powers (13), and Pemberton (11) have reached double-digit points. Gustys has only 2 rebounds. Hofstra has attempted 15 free throws, putting them on pace for 30. The only time Hofstra has attempted at least 30 free throws this season was when Hofstra attempted 37 against Kentucky. Hofstra has attempted 8 three-pointers, putting them on pace for 16. Hofstra's season-low in three-pointers attempted is 17 at Manhattan.

Sabety and four Towson players are tied for the most rebounds with 3. I'm guessing it is extremely rare to have nobody reach 4 rebounds in the first half.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Zane Martin with a career high in points with 17 so far, he's only ever had double digit points once before. At least it's finally not the opposing team's leading scorer with a career high.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Towson has their first lead since the first 2 points of the game. We blew a 16 point lead and are now down 4, 54-54. We've been outscored 22-10 in the second half, shooting only about 28% compared to Towson's 52%. We're losing the rebounding battle 32-19, and Towson is easily blowing past our entire team to get to the hoop, scoring 36 points in the paint so far. We're now pretty much content to chuck up 3's, not make them, and not get the rebound.

Towson is now 10 of their last 10 FGs, up 66-55. Disgusting. This team's gotta realize that the game is 40 minutes long, not 20. They played much better in the first half, Towson can literally do no wrong the second half.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

After watching most games this season, this team just sucks.. No way to sugar coat anything. I understand they are college kids, but there are a ton of college kids better than the ones on our team. We just flat out suck.

Blew a 16 point lead to Towson, at home.

JWF and Eli are promising talents, I don't want to throw them under the bus. I do enjoy watching them play, the rest, ay dos mios
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Mihalich was pretty much screaming the refs while walking off the court. How about screaming at your team instead for giving up 54 second half points... that's not the ref's fault.

Now we face Northeastern, who will probably come to the Mack pretty mad about losing to Delaware tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra came back to lead 73-72, but lost 86-80. Hofstra shot field goals well, but Towson shot better and had 50 percent more rebounds, 39 to 26. 26 rebounds ties the James Madison game for Hofstra's second-lowest of the season. Hofstra had 25 rebounds at Manhattan. Gustys had 8 points and 8 rebounds. He led all players in rebounds, but he decreased his average from 12.5 to 12.3 and gave the national lead back to Purdue's Caleb Swanigan.

Pemberton scored a career-high 26 points before fouling out with 20 seconds left. With an easy amount of games played as a denominator, 20, Pemberton went from 13.4 points to exactly 14 points and the team lead. Wright-Foreman scored 18 to increase his average from 13.5 to exactly 13.75. Powers scored 19 to increase his average from 13.2 to exactly 13.5. Bernardi scored 5 to lower his average from 12.5 to 12.1.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I can no longer take Mihalic screaming on the sidelines looking like a football goal post the entire game

Awesome game for Eli Pemberton
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Make it 6 straight losses for this team. This very well could be the low point of the Michalich era. With a Delaware win tonight, we are now tied for last place in the CAA. I certainly did not see this coming this year but it looks like a bottom 4 finish is a real possibility this season which virtually guarentees we have no chance of winning the CAA. But hey, the way they are playing right now, can they even win another game??

I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff and some of the players. I don't want to get on college kids and I have been a big supporter of his but Bernardi is absolutely killing us. The other back breaker for this team is Gustys' free throw shooting. He's also regressed around the basket, he can't finish anything. I almost rather see Sabety out there in crunch time. And the coaching staff really needs to look in the mirror and decide if they want to change up their philosophy. The CAA is a gritty league, always has been. Teams are big, tough and can shoot the ball. We cannot survive playing no defense. Maybe Joe's style worked in the MAAC. It's not going to consistently work in the CAA. How can we ever win a close game when we have a team that can never get a stop on defense and can't make free throws? That's a bad combination right there.

I'll always support this team and be optimistic but they are testing my patience now. Transition year or not, we should be seeing a better brand of basketball out there and we aren't. Michalich is a good guy and he has brought in all good guys who are easy to root for. He brought our program back to life and almost won the CAA last year. And I thank him and appreciate him for that. But things need to change and they need to change in a hurry. I'm not sure it will though.

The only positives tonight were Eli Pemberton and JWF. The future is bright with those 2. We need to build around them. We need a great PG which has already been mentioned many times in previous posts and we need a 4. A real 4. And let's hope Jalen Ray comes and he is the real deal. Its sad that I am already thinking about next season but I feel this season is close to being over.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

When does spring training begin?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nothing is won or lost in January to steal a quote from many a college basketball coach.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

BB and the ROK has regressed so much this year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

DCDUTCH wrote:BB and the ROK has regressed so much this year.
It's a lot tougher out there without Green, Tanksley and the Princeton graduate to lean on.