Game 7 - Medaille

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Game 7 - Medaille

Post by Cards »

I don't expect to see much today. At the very least, I would hope to see some effort on defense though. No matter who we play, that has to become a given, almost a new mindset for all.

I think we'll likely see game time for those who have not seen any to date. I am most anxious to see Trueheart on the court. Hopefully he gets some time playing with the starters - I would like to see what he's got! In his case, I don't think playing with the walk-ons and AW will tell the whole story.
garyg

Re: Game 7 - Medaille

Post by garyg »

I think they may be considering red-shirting Trueheart, maybe even AW
Cards

Post by Cards »

makes sense gary - I could see that with ST. Walker is another story - it would be a bit of a surprise at this point in his career, but then again they just did it with Jamal.

Thinking about it, if AW picks it up a bit, at least we would have a senior at the 5 once Rok is gone. Unless we recruit a stud 5 who starts as a freshman, AW for a year at center might work.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm watching online, and when the ball is near midcourt you can see two of the computer screens at the scorers' table flickering quickly and constantly.

Hofstra leads 79-51 with 3:57 left.

Edit: Walker just came in, so he isn't taking a redshirt year.

Edit: Hofstra leads 86-54, and an announcer said Wright-Foreman scored a career-high 18 points. Tiffany Vellis isn't one of the broadcasters.

Edit: Tommy Ros and Connor Klementowicz made their Hofstra debuts. Klementowicz made a three-pointer in his first field goal attempt. Hofstra won 89-56. Hofstra used 11 players today. In 2015-2016 and 2013-2014, Hofstra didn't use 11 players all season.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes good to see a lot of the guys getting some time... still think Walker can be a real asset with his size and shot blocking ability... also good to see Safety wreck havoc inside with blocked shots, etc.

Looks like Trueheart will be red shirted and Jamal Robinson mist be in the dog house because he saw no time tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

My postgame comments and statistics:

1. Medaille attempted 75 field goals. The CAA has statistics going back to 2005-2006, which is 366 games from the first first game of 2005-2006 to today, and that's the most field goal attempts by a Hofstra opponent. In our triple overtime win over UNC Wilmington in January 2006, UNC Wilmington attempted 70 field goals. Medaille made 24 of their field goals, and their 51 missed field goals is the most by a Hofstra opponent in those 366 games. The previous most missed field goals by an opponent during that time was 50 by Old Dominion at Hofstra on February 10, 2009. Medaille made 24 field goals, 4 three-pointers, and 4 free throws. It was the first time in those 366 games that a Hofstra opponent made 24 or fewer field goals, 4 or fewer three-pointers, and 4 or fewer free throws.

2. Hofstra blocked 11 shots, which is their most since they blocked 11 shots in a 77-61 win hosting Towson on January 6, 2010, which was 222 games ago. It was the first time in the last 366 games that Hofstra had at least 22 assists and at least 11 blocked shots.

3. Wright-Foreman (18 points), Bernardi (17 points), and Greer (13 points) were Hofstra's top three scorers. All of them made at least half of their field goals and at least half of their three-pointers. Bernardi made 4 out of 4 free throws, and neither Wright-Foreman nor Greer attempted any. Greer was second on Hofstra with 8 rebounds.

4. Powers was fourth on Hofstra with 11 points. He didn't shoot field goals well and had a majority of his points (6) come from free throws without a miss. He was second on Hofstra with 5 assists.

5. Pemberton and Gustys were tied for fifth on Hofstra with 8 points. Pemberton led Hofstra with 6 assists and Gustys led all players with 14 rebounds. Pemberton and Medaille's Johnathan Belton tied with 6 assists.

6. In only 12 minutes, Sabety contributed 7 points, 6 rebounds (third on Hofstra), and 5 blocked shots, which led all players.

7. Six Hofstra players had a +/- of +20 or better, and Bernardi was seventh on Hofstra with a +15. In case you don't know, that's the point differential while each player was playing.

8. Seven players played at least 22 minutes. Greer, Powers, and Pemberton tied for the team lead with 28 minutes. Wright-Foreman played 27, Gustys and Bernardi played 25 each, and Buie played 22. I'm not going to check on this, but it must be rare for Hofstra to not play anybody more than 28 minutes.

9. Pemberton (6 assists), Powers (5), Bernardi (3), and Buie (3) had at least 3 assists each. It must be rare for Hofstra to have at least four players with at least 4 assists.

10. Hofstra led for 37:26, which was 93.6 percent of the game.

11. Hofstra had 5 more turnovers than Medaille, and Medaille had the better assist/turnover ratio.

12. Hofstra had big advantages in bench points (32 to 9) and fast break points (10 to 0).

13. Medaille used 15 players, and only one of them did not attempt a field goal. Only half of the 14 players who attempted a field goal made a field goal. They had seven players combine to shoot field goals 0-for-8 with no free throw attempts. Sean Wilson was the only Medaille player to make at least half of his field goals. He shot field goals 4-for-8 and scored 8 points. Mike Hollenbeck led Medaille with 17 points, and his .421 field goal percentage was the second best on Medaille.

Edit: I read the post above mine, and I didn't notice that Robinson didn't play. That means Hofstra has used 12 players this season (Robinson and 11 players today). The last season in which Hofstra used at least 12 players was 2012-2013. Hofstra used 16 players that season, but that includes the four thieves and two players who played 1 minute all season, so Hofstra really had 10 players for most of the season. In 2011-2012 Hofstra used 12 players, but that includes a player who transferred after playing 55 minutes, a player who was credit with 0 minutes in one game without contributions to any good or bad statistics, and a player who played 10 minutes all season. The four thieves played 6 or 7 games, and the last time Hofstra had at least 12 players play in at least 8 games was in 2010-2011, when Hofstra used 12 players. Dwan McMillan had the fewest games with 11 and Matt Grogan had the fewest minutes with 26.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919633 is titled "Hofstra rolls against Medaille 89-56."

http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/11/25/me ... ath=mbball is titled "MBB: Hofstra Rolls Past Medaille 89-56."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7615 is the box score. The attendance was 1,012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8644SkgAEQg has highlights.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan didn't we get a three pointer from one of our walkons
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Robinson wasn't in uniform.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo was he on the bench
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Evan didn't we get a three pointer from one of our walkons
Yes, Klementowicz made one. I said that in the last edit of my first post of this topic, although I didn't specify that he was a walk-on.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I was there. Robinson was on the bench wearing his warmups all game. Kinda got the impression he may have a minor nagging injury he wanted to nurse for a few extra days. Good idea to cash in on some rest when he was clearly not needed for this game.

Trueheart was on the bench, and also wearing his warmup top. Seems like confirmation that he is redshirting this season.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Awesome power and energy from Sabety as usual. He has great time efficiency, probably the best on the team.

Ty Greer and Bernardi also had good games tonight.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Mike34 wrote:Awesome power and energy from Sabety as usual. He has great time efficiency, probably the best on the team.

Ty Greer and Bernardi also had good games tonight.
Yea ty Greer had a good game. Did anyone see that play where he knocked into the ref? It almost looked like the ref pushed him and was mad after?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Would not get too excited about this one guys...D-111 team with losing record....believe their tallest guy was 6-7
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Can't read too much into this game, but what I can say about this game is that it was a good opportunity for the guys to get the practice that they needed. A scrimmage of some sorts. They knew they were going to win, no pressures of losing, but still put a win in the book after the nice South Dakota win. Not necessarily confidence booster, but keeping up the confidence. Also game opportunity for Coach to key on on defense. Loved hearing him yell phrases such as "Deron why are you not guarding him?!?! You have one job, just stay on him!" and "RUN RUN RUN!" and jumping up and down with his hands in the air, indicating to keep your hands up on defense. I can tell JAM didn't take this game lightly. He knew we have a bit of some tough mid majors coming up, toping it off with UK, and this was the perfect coaching opportunity. Exactly what this team needed. The energy level was high amongst the team after the game, and I feel they are more confident, energized, and now prepared for a 2-2 Columbia on Tuesday, a team that beat us two years ago also at their gym.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great game to get everyone some real PT, and they did so.

As I mentioned at the start of the yr, staff was likely going to look to RS someone... think we can see who. I am actually ok with that due to the amount of guys they now have. Last yr was MUCH tougher not just due to injury, but they had so few to start with. Not the case this year.

I was away for the holiday, so did not see the games in person, BUT was able to watch most, and what I see very clearly are the following:

1) JM is finally ALIVE with his players about D - man is jumping up and down all over the sideline, arms waving, etc. As Jordan mentioned, this is HUGE, and it's making a difference. This is what making something a focus looks like.

2) Ball distribution / Team passing has improved GREATLY. Another clear focus of the team, and wouldn't ya know it, it's making a HUGE difference.

It's going to take these guys time to gel, and for some of the new / first time long time guys to work the rust off (ie shot efficiency)... that's all NORMAL and quite frankly expected. The above is not. The above is a focus of effort from the top down. It's not about W/L, that was last yr when you have a seasoned group that has to produce.

This stuff is not because guys aren't talented, or rusty. This stuff is all about hard work, focus in practice, leadership from the staff and upper classmen, keying in on the fundamentals of the GAME <-> respecting it. THAT'S what I've been harping on for good reason.

KEEP IT UP FELLAS - KEEP WORKING

Now you see the difference in putting out real effort, focus, and teamwork. One loses, one wins. Play like this and this team will win a lot - and in time, as they come together as a family unit, this team can achieve much more than most expected.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I was at the game and the D has not improved. The Mav's had plenty of wide open looks - just couldn't make them. They got inside our "zone" (if you want to call it one) at will. All Coach's waving did nothing. As HUSid mentioned - it was D3.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I will say Coach looks much better in tee shirt and slacks than sport jacket (looks (frumpy")
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Before anyone thinks we turned the corner, look at these results. Coppin State who we beat by 2 at home is losing to Div2 Chestnut Hill 40-33 in the second half. Manhattan who beat us by 12 was down 60-27 to #25 West Virginia. now down 79-39.