Calling you out Speedy - Get it Together

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Calling you out Speedy - Get it Together

Post by Polito »

It’s conference season, time to get heads out of rears. You want fans to support and believe then show you deserve it. Put a team on the floor that doesn’t have to make 100 3s to win games - put a product on the floor with an actual offensive game plan.

Show you aren’t going to repeat the same stupid mistakes of the last staff that couldn’t get it done for years on end.

Don’t be another coach who flexes regular season with some wins against a terrible conf and then can’t finish because the team can’t win without shooting lights out.

Tonight was a straight up embarrassment. Don’t rest on your laurels of beating Arkansas. One game doesn’t make a champion. You keep putting out a team like tonight that can’t win without chucking 3’s and I promise your butt will be sitting at home during the dance like every other coach who does that crap.

Not looking to make a mountain out of a molehill, it’s the first game, and a one pint one at that - BUT the point here is urgency - we’ve ALL seen this same garbage movie before and we ALL know how it ends. You lived it for goodness sake man, don’t repeat it.

It’s time this program grows up. Be better.
Dooku25

Re: Calling you out Speedy - Get it Together

Post by Dooku25 »

Agree Polito. Tonight felt like the Stony Brook game all over again. Team was flat. No visible adjustments were made all game. No timeouts used to stem the tide. Speedy kind of let both games play out. He just lets this happen. His style might be that he trusts in his guys too much. At some point you have to get angry during the game. Mihalich used to be a madman out there. He would call timeouts every 30 seconds if he didn't like what he was seeing. Now that might have been a little extreme the other way but Speedy has to recognize at certain points of these games to use his timeouts to reinforce what he wants out of his team. It's year 1 as head coach and he's had some tough lessons learned already. I hope he evolves as a coach because I think he has potential to bring this program to new heights.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Telling ya right now, going to be LOUD this year. It's been a zillion years of the same garbage, it's time for this fanbase to rise up and start to demand better. This loss is one of the top all time. Even JM's literal first team during one of the toughest rebuilds in college hoops could've won this game.

I am not interested one inkling in watching another staff too stubborn to make the appropriate changes, or to figure out the flow of each game. If this is going to be round 2 of chuck 3s every single game and crap ourselves when those shots don't go in, then I'm out. Would rather watch cars drive by in front yard.

That isn't a strategy or a game plan. That's lazy. We must demand better from this program. HU has LOADS of talent on this roster for a mid. Every team would kill just to have ONE of Ray, Cooks, or Estrada. They should've beaten this W&M squad by 20+.

This team still isn't motivated to win every game??!?? Still playing down, not getting amped, is this for real?? And I'm supposed to believe this team is serious about winning a championship?? Where is the LEADERSHIP????

This fan base needs to rise up and show zero tolerance for this kind of nonsense. No more hot air. I'm not sitting around another 20 years waiting for this program to cowboy up and get it's friggin act together. It's getting old. All the regular season wins are great, not discounting the successes. But that was the goal 8 years ago. CHAMPIONSHIPS and NCAAT's are what matters. Not winning this conf with 3's alone, no depth, and no alternative game plans. Don't know how many times this has to be lived out for it to get through.

REALLY thought this program would've had that hard lesson beaten into every fiber of their being by now. This is super disappointing. Like when your parent isn't even angry with you anymore, but disappointed kind of disappointed. The worst kind.

This is on Speedy and the staff. Fix this or we can all spend our energy elsewhere. Expecting to see tangible correction and progress starting TOMORROW.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I am with you Polito...not much more to say but I pretty much agree with everything you said
Polito

Post by Polito »

Welp, publicly called you all out, and your response??

How many embarrassing losses can one uber talented team have in a season? Seems this team is hell-bent on finding out.

So sick of this garbage year in and out. Refuse to waste my precious time following a staff and team that can’t figure out how to play the game of basketball doing nothing but shoot 3’s until they lose.

Towson for Gods sake setting a record against you at your own game from deep? That’s just straight up embarrassing Speedy. Not much else to say.

So sry disheartening and disappointing. But at least now I can spend my time in other areas worthy of it I suppose. You’ve lost my interest for now. And that takes a special kind of bad considering all I’ve witnessed over the years.

See ya in Feb. I guess. We’ll see if anything gets straightened out by then.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I agree that this team has no leadership. No one ever shows emotion. Seems as if they are always just running through the motions. Sucks for a guy like Ray who has been here since 1999 it feels like. No one gets loud on the court, no one pulls people over when they mess up, no one holds others accountable. This team is just flat out boring to watch.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra wrote:I agree that this team has no leadership. No one ever shows emotion. Seems as if they are always just running through the motions. Sucks for a guy like Ray who has been here since 1999 it feels like. No one gets loud on the court, no one pulls people over when they mess up, no one holds others accountable. This team is just flat out boring to watch.
Honestly can't totally agree with this in terms of having no leadership. I've seen Ray on numerous occasions talking to guys on this team underclassmen giving advice but doing it in his own style. We know he's quiet but definitely has things to say in a soft manner. Also I've seen Bey trying to get people motivated and he's quite vocal. Do we have a Michael Jordan calling people out and embarrassing them no we don't have that. When you're at the games you here more of that. We clearly need more but don't have someone who I believe will take over this job.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Welp, publicly called you all out, and your response??

How many embarrassing losses can one uber talented team have in a season? Seems this team is hell-bent on finding out.

So sick of this garbage year in and out. Refuse to waste my precious time following a staff and team that can’t figure out how to play the game of basketball doing nothing but shoot 3’s until they lose.

Towson for Gods sake setting a record against you at your own game from deep? That’s just straight up embarrassing Speedy. Not much else to say.

So sry disheartening and disappointing. But at least now I can spend my time in other areas worthy of it I suppose. You’ve lost my interest for now. And that takes a special kind of bad considering all I’ve witnessed over the years.

Usually I am try to look at things optimistically but unfortunately you are spot on here. This team has talent which is the worst part. We should be able to win any conference game we play this year; not saying we should go undefeated. But a 1-2 start with a loss to W&M is unacceptable.

I have season tickets so I will be at the next two games but I am glad I didn't leave work early on Tuesday to watch that game.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Polito wrote:Welp, publicly called you all out, and your response??

Usually I am try to look at things optimistically but unfortunately you are spot on here. This team has talent which is the worst part. We should be able to win any conference game we play this year; not saying we should go undefeated. But a 1-2 start with a loss to W&M is unacceptable.

I have season tickets so I will be at the next two games but I am glad I didn't leave work early on Tuesday to watch that game.
Agree - somewhat with Polito
Agree - more so with HofstraMathew

Ill be there Saturday too - but I am not rushing to watch games like earlier in the year and/or other seasons - bottom line Get it Together
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

W&M also beat Northeastern, which is usually pretty good, so maybe the Tribe is underrated?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

W&M PICKED DEAD LAST pre-season #10, UNCW #9 AND they're both 2-0. Towson was picked #8. Delaware picked 1st already lost to UNCW. BOTH OF W&M wins were by one point and we know we should have won that game but I'll leave it at that. This again is an important game for us and again hopefully we have a complete team meaning Zack Cooks starting and healthy. We're definitely a better team with a healthy Cooks in the lineup.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Giving Speedy some props here for not worrying about Ray's ego and helping to change Ray's mindset by having Ray come off the bench today. That's what good coaches do with key players.

Speedy pushed the right button in a big way with that one. Ray was extremely efficient. He ended up playing starter-type mins (31) anyway and he was a huge reason HU won today after his poor showing at Towson.

Also, more evidence that it's not who starts. We get way too hung up on that. It's how many minutes guys get, what they do with those minutes and who finishes. WAY more important than starting. If this helps Ray, Speedy should stick with it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Giving Speedy some props here for not worrying about Ray's ego and helping to change Ray's mindset by having Ray come off the bench today. That's what good coaches do with key players.

Speedy pushed the right button in a big way with that one. Ray was extremely efficient. He ended up playing starter-type mins (31) anyway and he was a huge reason HU won today after his poor showing at Towson.

Also, more evidence that it's not who starts. We get way too hung up on that. It's how many minutes guys get, what they do with those minutes and who finishes. WAY more important than starting. If this helps Ray, Speedy should stick with it.
I agree with what Speedy did here and when I saw Ray wasn't starting I immediately thought he was hurt or sick but kudos to Speedy to have him come off the bench. If Cooks is healthy then Omar starts not Burgess cause honestly we're not getting much from him not even great D at times. I'm almost thinking this was a one and done idea but we'll see come tomorrow.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Can't see him changing (at least for tomorrow) since it worked so well. Still can't understand why Ray can't drive to the basket after all these years.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ZMAN3 wrote: Can't see him changing (at least for tomorrow) since it worked so well. Still can't understand why Ray can't drive to the basket after all these years.
The last time I checked, NCAA teams shoot twos .508. Last season Ray shot twos .492, which is close. This season he shoots twos .362.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Can't see him changing (at least for tomorrow) since it worked so well. Still can't understand why Ray can't drive to the basket after all these years.
Insert many other players' names at every level in the same statement, and that's why. Different game today (but I agree with you - if you want to hoist 3s, those will open up more if you're also a good driving threat).
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:Giving Speedy some props here for not worrying about Ray's ego and helping to change Ray's mindset by having Ray come off the bench today. That's what good coaches do with key players.

I agree with what Speedy did here and when I saw Ray wasn't starting I immediately thought he was hurt or sick but kudos to Speedy to have him come off the bench. If Cooks is healthy then Omar starts not Burgess cause honestly we're not getting much from him not even great D at times. I'm almost thinking this was a one and done idea but we'll see come tomorrow.
We might see it again tomorrow since Cooks is out for one more game (he's back at Northeastern on Saturday).
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote: Can't see him changing (at least for tomorrow) since it worked so well. Still can't understand why Ray can't drive to the basket after all these years.
The last time I checked, NCAA teams shoot twos .508. Last season Ray shot twos .492, which is close. This season he shoots twos .362.
Tremendous drop, especially for a fifth-year guy. He needs to bring that way up for Hofstra's offense to be consistently dangerous this season.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Can't see him changing (at least for tomorrow) since it worked so well. Still can't understand why Ray can't drive to the basket after all these years.
Ray always seems to get tons of shots blocked

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

You all seem to forget that Ray was hurt, I believe ankle, for much of the pre-season and did not return until the Iona game in the regular season. I believe he is still a step slow and it has hurt his shooting as well as limiting his ability to get to the basket.

Hopefully he will return to the "old" Ray over the next couple of weeks.