MBB vs. JMU, Saturday, 2/5/22, 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB vs. JMU, Saturday, 2/5/22, 2 PM

Post by EvanJ »

The Knicks copied JMU in that the away team came back to tie the game and lost by 7 in overtime. The Lakers won 122-115. The Lakers didn't use Kent Bazemore, whose time at Old Dominion had three seasons in common with Jenkins. Jenkins was much better in the NCAA, but Bazemore had success in the NBA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: The Knicks copied JMU in that the away team came back to tie the game and lost by 7 in overtime.
Ha, I was thinking the same, catching the end of the 4th and OT of that Knicks-Lakers game. I was also wondering the last time (if ever) that the Knicks and Hofstra played OT on the same day.
EvanJ wrote: Jenkins was much better in the NCAA, but Bazemore had success in the NBA.
So strange how this happens. Same in the NFL, too. Some guys just land in the right or wrong situations and some games just somehow translate better at the next level even though you wouldn't guess it.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Jenkins had the heart of a champion, but fell a little short in the athleticism needed for the NBA. Not quick enough to play the point and needed another 2 inches or so to be a shooting guard
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Before I left for the game today, thinking about this being JMU's last CAA game (maybe last game period) in Hempstead, I thought it would be fitting if the game went to OT because I recalled some memorable OT games between HU and JMU.

So, I had to look at Hofstra's OT history against CAA opponents, and I found some things that surprised me (wondering if these surprised anyone else):
* I knew JMU was high on the list, but I didn't realize that it was as many as 8 OT games after today (I thought maybe 5-6 at most).
* I thought W&M might be as much or more than JMU, but they're only 4th on the list with 5 (Drexel and UNCW actually more).
* When I saw it was 8 for JMU, I thought 2 or 3 had to be at JMU, but nope... 7 of the 8 at home. I was probably at all of them but didn't remember as many as 6 others before today.

Also thought this was interesting:
18% (7 of 39) all-time meetings with JMU went to OT. That's why I'm kind of sad to see the Dukes go. Hofstra had a fun history with them.

Hofstra's CAA overtime history (all in the regular season except the CAA final vs. UNCW and the CAA semis vs. W&M and Delware):

5-3 vs JMU
---------------------------
3-2 vs UNCW
2-3 vs Drexel
2-2 vs William & Mary
1-2 vs Northeastern
1-0 vs Towson
1-0 vs Delaware
0-1 vs George Mason
0-1 vs VCU
The deja-vu here is the heartbreaking loss in O/T on senior day to JMU. I almost think we were undefeated at home not sure. JWF LAST HOME GAME and imagining losing in O/T when another guard(Lewis) just caught fire against us and scored big numbers(40) hitting a three as time ran out to totally deflate the big crowd and send that game into O/T. JWF had 33 points in that game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Now that was ugly…Estrada carried. Us on his back. Credit to JMU, they played zone and dared us to chuck threes and we obliged…they played us tough and scored at will inside.

Good news is that, despite horrendous play at the end of regulation, we prevail…well at least the UNCW game will be interesting.
True about our three point shots but Jalen missed at least two totally uncontested shots as did Silverio who played 22 minutes without scoring. I'm sure if Speedy had to do it all over again he wouldn't hesitate to have them take those shots. Sometimes they fall sometimes they don't. Obviously not talking about some of the bricks we threw up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:As others have said - pitiful ball movement and effort to drive/go into the paint, just keep chucking up threes.

I think Bey has the worst set of hands on a BB player that I have ever seen. And if he could hit a layup, he would probably ave 4-6 pts more per game than he does! YIKES!!!

As Husid stated, based on flohoops it looked to me like a decent crowd.
God this is so true constantly gets stripped in the paint and misses easy layups. Totally frustrates you but is always hustling, blocks shots and is a plus to have on the court. Just gives a major effort and takes the game very seriously.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cards I guess you forgot Kenny “Hands of Stone” Adeleke
Pride97

MBB vs. JMU, Saturday, 2/5/22, 2 PM

Post by Pride97 »

I love Rok but he’s also in that category. Probably better than those two, but cost Green a ton of assists due to his hands.

Though I didn’t see Adelke play in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Estrada leads the NCAA with a .951 free throw percentage, which would be the CAA record, and eighth in NCAA history. Charleston's Reyne Smith is second at .948, which would be tenth in NCAA history, and second for a freshman. The NCAA lists the top 28, which goes down to .938, and there are no pairs of players who did it in the same conference and season, so Estrada or Smith has a good chance at having the highest percentage without leading his conference that season.

The CAA's Twitter poll had UNCW's Mike Okauru win Player of the Night. The CAA had a player score 35, another player win Player of the Night, and another player (Okauru's teammate Shykeim Phillips) have a combination of statistics for the 12th time from 2010-2011 to now.

Elon shockingly attempted only 17 threes, made 6, and we passed them for the CAA lead in threes made per game. We are second of 358 teams shooting free throws .807, and ninth shooting twos .576.
Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: The Knicks copied JMU in that the away team came back to tie the game and lost by 7 in overtime.
Ha, I was thinking the same, catching the end of the 4th and OT of that Knicks-Lakers game. I was also wondering the last time (if ever) that the Knicks and Hofstra played OT on the same day.
You can go to https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html and https://www.basketball-reference.com/te ... games.html to check. Change the year in the URL for past seasons.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Pride97 wrote:I love Rok but he’s also in that category. Probably better than those two, but cost Green a ton of assists due to his hands.

Though I didn’t see Adelke play in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt Rok mishandled his share of pick and rolls, but when he got his paws on a rebound you could count on the possession. I think his arms were the size of Bey's thighs! :lol:
Polito

Post by Polito »

Promised to be better after wins :D I've been traveling across the country, so my timing is clearly off, but I'm here! lol

Estrada is S T U D. Kid always had talent, but his game is through the roof here. Unbelievable success story for him and for this staff. He is next level at HU and in the CAA. Unexpected and extremely exciting - Guard U lives on!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

He's baaaack! :)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:The Knicks copied JMU in that the away team came back to tie the game and lost by 7 in overtime. The Lakers won 122-115. The Lakers didn't use Kent Bazemore, whose time at Old Dominion had three seasons in common with Jenkins. Jenkins was much better in the NCAA, but Bazemore had success in the NBA.
Bazemore is an ELITE defender (ask Jenkins about his last game senior year against ODU in the CAA tournament) and has NBA size. Think he won national awards in college as well. Just needed to be a decent 3 point shooter to become a valuable NBA asset.
Love Jenkins who has a fantastic midrange game but he's a tweener in the NBA without a clear position. Similar to JWF he had to become a true point guard in the NBA and that's not really his game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Love Jenkins who has a fantastic midrange game but he's a tweener in the NBA without a clear position. Similar to JWF he had to become a true point guard in the NBA and that's not really his game.
This was true years ago, but the way the NBA game has evolved in recent years, positions aren't what they used to be. A guy ike Porzingis, at 7-3, takes 28-foot 3s. Guards, regardless of size, are now either PGs, SGs or combo guards. We have Ben Simmons, a 6-10 PG who doesn't shoot. I'm not sure anyone can miss out on the NBA by being a tweener anymore because the positions in the NBA are so loosely defined these days.

If you can score and at least aren't a human turnstile defensively at the NBA level today, they'll find a place for you on a roster. Charles did show that in some nice stretches at Golden State and then got shipped to Philly, which wasn't a good situation for him. I think in the right situation, he could've been a decent bench scorer. Just never happened. May not either for JWF, but he's a walking bucket who showed that well in the G League. In the right situation, he too, could be a good bench scorer in the NBA. But it's already getting late for him to find that right situation.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote: Love Jenkins who has a fantastic midrange game but he's a tweener in the NBA without a clear position. Similar to JWF he had to become a true point guard in the NBA and that's not really his game.
This was true years ago, but the way the NBA game has evolved in recent years, positions aren't what they used to be. A guy ike Porzingis, at 7-3, takes 28-foot 3s. Guards, regardless of size, are now either PGs, SGs or combo guards. We have Ben Simmons, a 6-10 PG who doesn't shoot. I'm not sure anyone can miss out on the NBA by being a tweener anymore because the positions in the NBA are so loosely defined these days.

If you can score and at least aren't a human turnstile defensively at the NBA level today, they'll find a place for you on a roster. Charles did show that in some nice stretches at Golden State and then got shipped to Philly, which wasn't a good situation for him. I think in the right situation, he could've been a decent bench scorer. Just never happened. May not either for JWF, but he's a walking bucket who showed that well in the G League. In the right situation, he too, could be a good bench scorer in the NBA. But it's already getting late for him to find that right situation.
But both of them can only defend at the point in the NBA. So they have to learn to play like a true point even though they are really more of a shooting guard. Or their ceiling is a guy like Lou Williams who just comes in off the bench and scores in bunches. There's a short list of guys like that who had long careers.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

But both of them can only defend at the point in the NBA. So they have to learn to play like a true point even though they are really more of a shooting guard. Or their ceiling is a guy like Lou Williams who just comes in off the bench and scores in bunches. There's a short list of guys like that who had long careers.
There's defense in today's NBA? :)

Nothing wrong with being Lou Williams. He's in his 17th season. 3-time NBA 5th Man of the Year, all three in the second half of that career.