Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:triplec2195, I remember the play you referenced against W&M. I just thought the twin towers may have worked against some teams that were not as quick. I am not sure that AW was as poor a defender as HS on the outside. I guess we will never know. I believe that this team has a possibility to be successful. IK has the potential to become a very good forward that can score, rebound, and possibly cause foul trouble for opposing teams. I am looking forward for a different type of HU team than what we have seen previously that were so guard oriented. Does anyone remember the last forward or center that was the leading scorer on an HU team?
Right off the top of my head without researching this I'll say David Taylor but probably there was someone more recent!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

garyg wrote: Gut feeling based on circumstances...Cramer has not played in 2 years due to injury and I do not see Miranda getting much playing time this upcoming season due to depth at his position...may be beneficial to redshirt both...
We normally end up with not many players available, so I don't like using redshirts to save available players for later.
triplec2195 wrote:
The Shadow wrote: triplec2195, I remember the play you referenced against W&M. I just thought the twin towers may have worked against some teams that were not as quick. I am not sure that AW was as poor a defender as HS on the outside. I guess we will never know. I believe that this team has a possibility to be successful. IK has the potential to become a very good forward that can score, rebound, and possibly cause foul trouble for opposing teams. I am looking forward for a different type of HU team than what we have seen previously that were so guard oriented. Does anyone remember the last forward or center that was the leading scorer on an HU team?
Right off the top of my head without researching this I'll say David Taylor but probably there was someone more recent!
It was Wendell Gibson in 2003-2004.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

With Adeleke and Stokes not too far behind. Imagine the leading scorer on this team only scoring 14.3 points a game. I guess with Justin gone anything could happen probably a lot more balanced scoring right now. I have to be honest that there are guys on this team I remember like Stokes and Frankie Walker but just have a vague recollection of Gibson, very vague!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: With Adeleke and Stokes not too far behind. Imagine the leading scorer on this team only scoring 14.3 points a game. I guess with Justin gone anything could happen probably a lot more balanced scoring right now. I have to be honest that there are guys on this team I remember like Stokes and Frankie Walker but just have a vague recollection of Gibson, very vague!
In terms of how many rebounds he got and how few threes he attempted, Stokes' statistics were more like a forward than a guard, but I didn't count him because I always saw him listed as a guard. If you include him, he led in his last three seasons from 2004-2005 through 2006-2007. Adeleke was second on Hofstra in his three seasons in 2001-2002 through 2003-2004 before transferring. If you take out Rick Apodaca, who played 15 games in 2002-2003 (the CAA requires 75 percent), then Adeleke led in 2002-2003. Lester was listed as a guard, guard/forward, and forward depending on what season's roster you look at. In 2011-2012, he was second with 14.6 points per game, while Mike Moore led the CAA with 19.9. That was the first season after Jenkins. In 2012-2013, David Imes was third at 7.6, and he was 4.8 behind Taran Buie, who led with 12.4. That was 7-25 season of the thieves. Upshaw was listed as a guard/forward, but when you attempt more threes than twos and averaging 4.2 rebounds, I call you a guard. Tanksley was listed as a guard/forward, and he averaged 0.9 fewer than Green in 2014-2015 and 1.99 fewer than Green in 2015-2016.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Frankly, I expect exactly the same. Which is not a knock, nor is it a 'going dancing!' view either. There is so little competition in this conf, they should be top 2-3. I see them getting close, and faltering again. Why? They will have super guard talent again, and I am very high on Kante, so they'll have the usual 1 post guy worthy of the CAA. The rest, you guys are kidding yourselves... but I've said this repeatedly, so I'm not going hard on it again.

Then HU will inevitably run into their yearly JM wall of being run ragged, failing D, and getting crushed in the post. Costs them nearly every yr under this staff.

The CAA has become absolutely terrible due to the attrition of nearly every quality player across the teams. Not even sure it's above the AE anymore. For that alone I think HU can stay top 3 most years, with continued high quality recruiting and half-way decent coaching. If this staff got it's act together and actually succeeded in establishing a proper CAA-level defense, HU would've been dancing already. Prob twice.

It's amazing to me these guys don't go ALL OUT with this... I don't mean they focus on it, I mean all out. I would imagine they want to dance even more than me right lol so it's baffling to me this has not been a full commitment, including investment in such. This staff should be studying from other top coaches, they should be VISITING those programs, learning, being sponges, bring defensive gurus ON CAMPUS, hiring someone, literally whatever it takes.

They are leaving NCAAT appearances on the table - and therefore media attention, promotion, free marketing, increased applications, a ton of money, a boost in recruiting. It's nuts to me - this should be this staffs #1 priority, and everyone even remotely attached to this school and program should FEEL that.

Yet here we are. If I'm a betting man, I'd have to bet on it being the same song and dance. I do think it will be plenty fun, I think HU will win 18-22 games (partly because they have talent and partly because they routinely have an awful SOS filled with a lot of cupcakes).

NIT is possible. NCAAT should be the reality. This conf is a joke, and HU should be owning it because they recruit top CAA talent every year and apparently are the only conf school who can retain them!

I am looking forward to the year in general, I am very happy for Coach Mike F., and I'm excited to see guys like Kante, Burgess, etc. I would say CofC with Riller, NU because of Cohen lol, and perhaps a JMU type dark horse. But HU should be right there in thick of things, and hey, ya never know - I said some time ago, it would be SO HU to actually win it all and go dancing the year JWF is gone! And I wouldn't complain one iota!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: NIT is possible. NCAAT should be the reality. This conf is a joke, and HU should be owning it because they recruit top CAA talent every year and apparently are the only conf school who can retain them!

I am looking forward to the year in general, I am very happy for Coach Mike F., and I'm excited to see guys like Kante, Burgess, etc. I would say CofC with Riller, NU because of Cohen lol, and perhaps a JMU type dark horse. But HU should be right there in thick of things, and hey, ya never know - I said some time ago, it would be SO HU to actually win it all and go dancing the year JWF is gone! And I wouldn't complain one iota!!
Do you know of anybody who transferred from Charleston, Towson, or JMU? I'm not saying Towson and JMU will be good, but I don't know if any transfers away from those three.

The Yankees won the World Series in 2000 and 2009, but not in the eight years with Hall of Famer Mike Mussina.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: NIT is possible. NCAAT should be the reality. This conf is a joke, and HU should be owning it because they recruit top CAA talent every year and apparently are the only conf school who can retain them!

Do you know of anybody who transferred from Charleston, Towson, or JMU? I'm not saying Towson and JMU will be good, but I don't know if any transfers away from those three.

The Yankees won the World Series in 2000 and 2009, but not in the eight years with Hall of Famer Mike Mussina.
Zane Martin transferred out of Towson 2 years ago. He was their best player. JMU and Charleston have had transfers the last few years, but not at the star level that teams like Towson, Delaware (Horton), W&M (Pierce), Drexel (Isabell, Demir), NE (Occeus, Gresham) etc. have had.
You could probably put JMU with Hofstra at the top of the conference in retaining players recently, but Hofstra's talent has been much better during that time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I was referring to transfers only in the 2019 offseason, so I wasn't including Martin or Isabell.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Does anyone have access to the Blue Ribbon Sports 2019-20 preview? It has us ranked fourth and Northeastern is ranked first. Don't know if I agree that Delaware is ranked ahead of us.

Should be a close race for the top four in a significantly diluted CAA talent wise.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So SID COC is ranked 2nd??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

These are the preseason rankings according to Blue Ribbon:
BLUE RIBBON FORECAST
1. Northeastern
2. College of Charleston
3. Delaware
4. Hofstra
5. Towson
6. James Madison
7. Drexel
8. UNC Wilmington
9. William & Mary
10. Elon
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:These are the preseason rankings according to Blue Ribbon:
BLUE RIBBON FORECAST
1. Northeastern
2. College of Charleston
3. Delaware
4. Hofstra
5. Towson
6. James Madison
7. Drexel
8. UNC Wilmington
9. William & Mary
10. Elon
Do they provide individual analysis of each team? I wonder if Silverio's eligibility was factored into this forecast. Dylan Painter the transfer from Villanova could be a big factor in this prediction. Soon we will find out what the CAA predictions will be but at the end of the day these predictions are often wrong and there are a lot of factors that come into play!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: triplec2195, I remember the play you referenced against W&M. I just thought the twin towers may have worked against some teams that were not as quick. I am not sure that AW was as poor a defender as HS on the outside. I guess we will never know. I believe that this team has a possibility to be successful. IK has the potential to become a very good forward that can score, rebound, and possibly cause foul trouble for opposing teams. I am looking forward for a different type of HU team than what we have seen previously that were so guard oriented. Does anyone remember the last forward or center that was the leading scorer on an HU team?
Pierce got a lot of rebounds, but also shot a lot of threes. In 2017-2018, UNCW started two forwards neither of whom attempted a three all season. They were Devontae Cacok and Marcus Bryan. They both played in all 32 games, with 29 starts by Cacok and all 32 by Bryan. Cacok averaged 17.7 points, 13.5 rebounds, and 29.4 minutes. Bryan averaged 5.7 points, 6.9 rebounds, and 27.4 minutes. Bryan had a field goal percentage of .442, which is horrible for a player who only shoots two-pointers.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote: These are the preseason rankings according to Blue Ribbon:
BLUE RIBBON FORECAST
1. Northeastern
2. College of Charleston
3. Delaware
4. Hofstra
5. Towson
6. James Madison
7. Drexel
8. UNC Wilmington
9. William & Mary
10. Elon
Do they provide individual analysis of each team? I wonder if Silverio's eligibility was factored into this forecast. Dylan Painter the transfer from Villanova could be a big factor in this prediction. Soon we will find out what the CAA predictions will be but at the end of the day these predictions are often wrong and there are a lot of factors that come into play!
https://csnbbs.com/thread-884050.html has Northeastern's preview by one of their fans, and it was written by Brian Mull, who went from being a newspaper writer for UNCW to a national writer. Blue Ribbon has Grant Riller as POY, with Pemberton, Matt Lewis, Nathan Knight, and Ryan Allen as the rest of the First Team. They didn't pick a Rookie of the Year, but they picked Delaware junior Nate Darling as Newcomer of the Year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ttps://csnbbs.com/thread-884050.html has Northeastern's preview by one of their fans, and it was written by Brian Mull, who went from being a newspaper writer for UNCW to a national writer. Blue Ribbon has Grant Riller as POY, with Pemberton, Matt Lewis, Nathan Knight, and Ryan Allen as the rest of the First Team. They didn't pick a Rookie of the Year, but they picked Delaware junior Nate Darling as Newcomer of the Year.

EvanJ
So with the addition of Painter who transferred from Villanova and this kid Darling who transferred from UAB and sat out last year you can see how they could be picked 3rd. Darling was a starter for UAB and shot over 40% from beyond the arc. Throw Ryan Allen into the mix and Delaware should be tough. This year could be a real dogfight in the CAA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree with all the talent exit and so many unknowns, kind of wide open at the moment - I think anyone 1-4 could take it all - think HU and JMU finish maybe a spot higher

UD seems to be solidly coached as well with some new potential talent, HU and UD could easily swap I think

And Pemba needs to improve his play a LOT of he’s going to end up on the 1st team - hugely disappointed in his performance last yr overall - was terrible in the CAAT, when it matters most, really expect a lot more from him - has not used his full ability yet - needs to step up his attitude, aggressiveness, and consistency - kid should’ve been a superstar at his position, saw him cower in the spotlight. Really hope he puts it all together.

This is exactly what I mean when I say I want DOGS, guys with a set - this is why. This program has strong mid major talent, but is desperately in need of swagger - give us some confident attitude and less awe shucks I hope we can win BS. I want guys that claim it and then go prove it right.

Love great citizens, but pls less nice guy on the court - more killer pls.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

CAA Media Days are Wednesday for Men and Thursday for Women.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Question for anyone who has seen any practices or players working out. Roster has Schutte and Hughes listed at 235 and 220 lbs, respectively. Are those weights a fantasy or have those guys actually put on that much muscle? I know there are many questions surrounding both players overall ability, but if those weights are correct, they should at least be able to handle the physicality of playing upfront.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hofstra picked FIRST in the CAA pre-season poll with Eli preseason first team and Desure picked second team...very close voting with Charleston second and Northeastern picked third.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Hofstra picked FIRST in the CAA pre-season poll with Eli preseason first team and Desure picked second team...very close voting with Charleston second and Northeastern picked third.
I would say kind of a shocker for me since I haven't seen anywhere where we were picked higher then 3rd. I would have rather been picked anywhere from 2nd to 4th. This puts pressure on Joe and the rest of the coaching staff IMO and the players as well. So can someone tell me why this is after losing Foreman and Taylor both a big part of this team. Is it because the conference is so weak or that people believe with Silverio being eligible and our recruits along with Kante we are the best team here or a combination of the two?? We know we're going to be in the hunt but to be picked first??