CAA tournament semifinals vs Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: CAA tournament semifinals vs Delaware

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm sure we feel we have the luck of the draw right now having to face a Delaware team that we have blown out, beaten twice and seem to match up well against and NE having to play COC in Charleston but be careful what u wish for. Lets make no mistake about this game because Delaware is feeling confident coming off a tough come from behind game and beating a good team in Bill and Marie(forget their record). We need to be ready for this game, very ready!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchiedoright wrote:I really hope we are not overlooking Delaware.

We HAVE to jump out on them and battle, battle, battle !!!!
The last regular season game gives me a lot of optimism about this. After beating Delaware by 45 the first time and not playing so well for a six-game stretch going in, they didn't just get by in Delaware playing the Hens a second time - they dominated. This seems to a good matchup for Hofstra. Delaware will fight and Hofstra has to be ready, but I don't think Delaware is equipped defensively to slow Hofstra down enough. Even if Hofstra's defense suffers somewhat, I don't think Delaware can stop Hofstra's offense. Might be a fairly high-scoring and Delaware might play well offensively, but I don't think they can keep up with Hofstra. Wouldn't surprise me if Hofstra scores over 90 against UD for a third straight time.
Last edited by Wags on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:

The last regular season game gives me a lot of optimism about this. After beating Delaware by 45 the first time and not playing so well for a six-game stretch going in, they didn't just get by in Delaware playing the Hens a second time - they dominated. This seems to a good matchup for Hofstra. Delaware will fight and Hofstra has to be ready, but I don't think Delaware is equipped defensively to slow Hofstra down enough. Even if Hofstra's defense suffers somewhat, I don't think Delaware can stop Hofstra's offense. Might be fairly high-scoring and Delaware might play well offensively, but I don't think they can keep up with Hofstra. Wouldn't surprise me if Hofstra scores over 90 against UD for a third straight time.
Feeling cautiously optimistic and hoping we see the real JWF.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

The last regular season game gives me a lot of optimism about this. After beating Delaware by 45 the first time and not playing so well for a six-game stretch going in, they didn't just get by in Delaware playing the Hens a second time - they dominated. This seems to a good matchup for Hofstra. Delaware will fight and Hofstra has to be ready, but I don't think Delaware is equipped defensively to slow Hofstra down enough. Even if Hofstra's defense suffers somewhat, I don't think Delaware can stop Hofstra's offense. Might be fairly high-scoring and Delaware might play well offensively, but I don't think they can keep up with Hofstra. Wouldn't surprise me if Hofstra scores over 90 against UD for a third straight time.
Feeling cautiously optimistic and hoping we see the real JWF.
I would think so. That's why I think his quiet game yesterday was a good thing, as long as they won. It got Taylor feeling good about himself. Now tonight, I think it'll be JWF's turn and Eli's turn. Then, they'd need everybody in the finals. But tonight, I could see 32 on efficient shooting from JWF, maybe 17-21 from Eli, Taylor doing his thing with a double-double, maybe allowing Delaware to shoot well, but being able to score on them... over 20 pts midway through the first half, mid or high 40s by halftime, and somewhere around a 93-82 type of win.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: tonight, I could see 32 on efficient shooting from JWF, maybe 17-21 from Eli, Taylor doing his thing with a double-double, maybe allowing Delaware to shoot well, but being able to score on them... over 20 pts midway through the first half, mid or high 40s by halftime, and somewhere around a 93-82 type of win.
I looked at this after stating the above... the line is Hofstra by 10 1/2 with an O/U of 148, so that equates to roughly an 80-69 win. Lower scoring than I'm expecting but same margin.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I don't get CBS SportsNet - is the game streaming on CAA.TV as well?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Pride97 I believe all the remaining games are on CAA.TV. I just went to KenPom to look up the rankings:#84 HU, #85 NU, #116 CofC, and #263 UD.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After going on CAA's website it only looks like you can get audio from them??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Go to https://www.cbssportsnetwork.com or http://www.cbssports.com/general/show/live/ I think you can watch online.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... inals.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Delaware (CAA semifinals)." It says that since we joined the CAA, teams are 51-20 (.718) in CAA Tournament games against teams they swept. I hate when people make claims like "it's hard to beat a team three times" (used when teams in the same division play in the NFL playoffs) and "it's hard to sweep a doubleheader" without providing evidence.
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

If you have FIOS its on Channel 594 at least here on Long Island.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I have Fios. Jerry Beach says it's channel 215 with Optimum/Altice.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bluehens.com/d ... asemis.pdf is Delaware's Game Notes. Delaware is 0-4 vs. 1 seeds in the CAA. They say it was UNCW in 2002, 2003, 2006, and 2007. VCU was the 1 seed in 2007, so I knew it was a mistake. They were the 12 seed in 2007 and lost to 5 seed Northeastern. The last season they lost to the 1 seed was 2017.

At http://www.gohens.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25608 a fan said "Western Illinois lost twice to North Dakota by a combined 62 points in conference play yet won the tournament game. We lost the two Hofstra games by a combined 67." My sister moved to Omaha, who is trying to make their first NCAA Tournament in their fourth season eligible. They are the 2 seed in the Summit League, and 1 seed South Dakota State lost to Western Illinois. When the fan said North Dakota he meant South Dakota State.

Edit: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=251594 has statistics. Both teams are starting their usual starters.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Up 18-16, after trailing 8-3.

Hofstra just 2/10 from 2 despite going 4/8 from 3.

First half is flying by. Just two fouls called on each team by the third media timeout.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

28-21 lead

Tareq came to play today. That is a obvs a good sign. Anderson having 2 fouls helps us also. Pound for pound Hofstra is clearly the better team here, but obviously UDel made a big comeback yesterday so you know they believe. Would be nice to see a little more out of Elijah....
Wags

Post by Wags »

In control, as they should be at, at the break. Closed the first half 35-17 after trailing 8-3.

It's all about two things right now: JWF (17 pts, looks extremely determined and locked in) and the 3 ball overall (7/12, sparked by Coburn's 3/4).

Long way to go though (just ask W&M).
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HU has only 3 fouls in the first half. UD did not attempt any free throws.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:HU has only 3 fouls in the first half. UD did not attempt any free throws.
Helped that Delaware settled (3/13 from 3, 8/13 from 2). Also helped that UD's leading scorer, Ryan Allen (16 ppg), went scoreless in the first half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Long way to go though (just ask W&M).
Speaking of which, 8 straight for the Blue Hens cuts the game's largest lead down to 40-33. C'mon guys, learn from W&M.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Tie game now, at 51 apiece. Delaware has doubled us up in the second half. What a $h!t show.
Still time to turn it around.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Bad sign for HU with JWF rubbing his back when he went out before. Obviously going to need him down the stretch.