NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by Dooku25 »

cactus wrote:The seeding is ridiculous but they're the best team in their quarter of the bracket. Let's get to msg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I agree they are the best team if their bracket was played at a neutral site. But they will have to win 3 in a row on the road to get to MSG. I'm not expecting that to happen. I think GW will be their toughest opponent on the road to MSG. They were extremely tough at home this year beating Virginia and Seton Hall. If we can get by them, I like our chances against Monnouth and then we'll see who is left by the 3rd round.

It would be a nice consolation prize to go on a run in the NIT and make it to MSG. I would love to see this team play for as long as possible.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This entire thing is complete bullsh!t - there is no sugar coating - UNCW with the same seed as the AE?? Give me a friggin break - HU at a *5*??? Get the hell outta here - fine, don't give a home game, it's the $ I get it, but you damn sure don't screw a school like that, HU has clearly earned better

And not just that, St Bon getting screwed is an embarrassment, Monmouth should've been in, SBU is not a 13 (how the hell can the AE be considered on par with the CAA?! :roll: ),

'Cuse?!?! Are you kidding me?? 2016 Syracuse deserves to be a 5 seed in the NIT. Vandy?! Please... Valpo coach said it great, quoted in a USA Today article on the screw jobs:
...we're putting in these teams that get hot for three days," Drew said. "How does that make March Madness special? How about we put the best mid-majors in the NCAA tournament. Put us in a play-in game in Dayton against a power school. Just give us a chance.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /81736400/

I'm so over this whole process. And the CAA has done absolutely nothing for this school. Why is HU in here? Winning the conf when it's 9th ranked leads to a 5 seed in the NIT? Seriously, what is the purpose for HU in the CAA? Where is the benefit? What is HU getting here it can't get anywhere else?

I'll take 1 real actual true benefit for an answer. One.

Dan, with you 100% on the support factor - this team, program, and staff have been screwed royally, not just this year, but EVERY yr they deserve something - it's atrocious - they deserve SO much more - they def have earned our love and backing, and they have it - I want them to go in so focused and so determined that MSG is a straight shot

That said to the other point, if this team approaches this with no chip on their shoulder, hanging their heads, pissy like me (lol) about the seeding and no home game, they'll be embarrassed with an early exit just like last yr

I agree that side of the bracket is ideal - however, GW is a good team and I think will be a very tough game for HU to win. One good thing is it isn't on the west coast so being drivable I'm hoping some fans can show out for them

I'm just disgusted.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I give up on the NCAA.......

Things I learned this weekend: a coach's suspension means that those games don't hurt (therefore, the team is actually rewarded for having the coach suspended as those loses are taken with a grain of salt), big conferences DO get the gold, your "name" does matter, cheating coaches are lauded, and strippers tell the truth.

Polito.....love your comments.......

I am nauseous this morning....
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To all the board readers: I'll ask my question again. If HU was not a #1 seed in the CAAT, but a #2, #3, or lower, and lost in the CAAT final, do you think HU gets an NIT bid? It sure looks now like a CBI or CIT bid to me. The lack of respect for the league should really be looked at by the new commissioner. The CAA gets multiple bids in other sports ( baseball, softball, men's and women's soccer) but not in men's basketball. This will effect the money shared among the ten CAA members for multiple years of payoffs from the NCAA. I agree with Polito about a possible new direction for all the programs, but realistically, where can you place HU in a different conference? For another take on all the conferences in the NCAA, look at today's NY Times article about the programs at UConn. It appears to be not that simple to switch a conference. There has to be a real need for another conference to ask a college to join. It is time for a real evaluation at HU for the programs overall marketing and direction.
Last edited by The Shadow on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Exit fees are tremendous. It was our own president rabinowitz who spearheaded a million dollar exit fee if we want to leave the CAA. We are going nowhere fast.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Stuball888, It just might be worth it. Read the NY times article and look at the money differences. The extra revenues are really quite large. It can pay for itself in a few seasons. Also, do not discount the added publicity.
Polito

Post by Polito »

In that scenario HU doesn't sniff NIT because of the pitiful disrespect of this conf and the zero job the conf officials have done to try and correct it

again, no clue where HU should go, and for right now, there is nowhere to go, just saying the CAA sucks for HU, and its become painfully clear. I want no part of a conference that spends all yr beating the absolute piss out of each other, literally to the point of actually causing no multiple bids because of too much parity, and then when you do win the brutal league you get sh!t on for it

how the hell is that a benefit for anyone?? After all that, and UNCW gets the same seed as the A friggin E?!?!?! What the hell is the value of this 9th ranked conf?? It can't even produce appropriate seeding - every school in this conf should be questioning it's value now - EVERY ONE

I mean, I'm furious FOR them... it's insanity, it's wrong, and I'm sick of it.

This new commish best come in ready to roll up sleeves and get sh!t done - none of this TY sitting in a back room stroking each other nonsense. This conf needs a MAN'S MAN - someone with enough integrity and balls to actually do it RIGHT.

Hope thats this guy. REALLY hope that's him.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Shadow rabinowitz would never spend a mil just to leave the CAA. Our bed was made and now we must lie in it. Also what about enterence fees in the new conference that a few million also. Only way to get this done right is if a brand new conference was formed.Then only 1 mil spent.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

If the team and coaches want to prove the committee wrong let us win at least a few games in the NIT. Going out quickly with a whisper will prove the committee right.
Polito

Post by Polito »

AGREED.

This program needs to come out like William Wallace, fireballs from their eyes, and bolts of lightening from their arse!!!!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

What conference do you guys propose we join? It's not as though conferences are beating paths to Hempstead... Our only REAL hope is that this new commissioner can get us to a multiple bid league... that should be HIS #1 OBJECTIVE... and HU needs to do a better job promoting this program ACROSS THE BOARD...
Last edited by HUSID80 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:What conference to you guys propose we join? It's not a though conferences are beating paths to Hempstead... Our only REAL hope is that this new commissioner can get us to a multiple bid league... that should be HIS #1 OBJECTIVE... and HU needs to do a better job promoting this program ACROSS THE BOARD...
I would love Patriot League because of geography and prestige of the schools in there and how solid they are in non-basketball sports like lacrosse and softball, but don't see that as realistic unfortunately.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

A10 would be ideal, but that's not happening any time soon. The basketball program needs to have multiple of sustained success to even start to look appealing.
And the MAAC is realistically not an option either, no matter how much they want us. It would mean downgrading pretty much every other sport besides basketball, and most of our other sports are actually pretty good. I'd go as far to say it's even a downgrade in basketball, but considering Iona got the same seed as UNCW, the big difference in conference RPI is apparently irrelevant.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So for now, its the CAA....that's simply what we have to deal with.

Lets hope that some of the other CAA teams are investing and upgrading their MBB programs as we are trying to do. The only way we begin to get respect is to have at least a few teams looking to play tough OCC schedules, getting into post season tournaments, and then actually making some noise in those tournaments. We're never going to get anywhere making "appearances", or "one and done", trips.

Don't know if UNCW can make some noise or not in the NCAA, but HU certainly can advance in the NIT.....frankly they must do so for the CAA to get respect.
In addition to HU, UNCW appears to be the most committed to raising the bar.
NE - they could be good for the next few years, but I don't know if the school is investing in the program or are the just happy to have a competitive team.
W&M - We all know they usually put out a decent product, but they certainly are not going all out to improve their program.
Towson - they always seem to have a tough team and they always seem to get some nice transfers. Don't know how committed the school is however.
JMU - Don't know is they are really interested in making a real effort to upgrade.
CoC - I could see they guys getting better over time, but don't know the direction and overall goals of the athletic department.
Elon, UD, Drex - not going anywhere fast.

We simply have to play better when it matters. The same is true for some of the other committed CAA teams.

Other than marketing/attendance, HU MBB is on the upswing. Yes, being stuck in the CAA stinks right now, but lets do what we can to make it better and gets some eyes on our program!

Regarding other conferences - A10 is the only one that is an upgrade. I simply would have no interest in watching MBB play the other schools in the Patriot, or most of the schools in the MAAC. And in either case, quality of our recruits would drop off dramatically.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed the A10 should be a goal for us.... would love to see Fordham go to the Patriot, where they belong and HU jump in as the NY school... but it will take a few more years for the new coach to get beaten down in the Bronx... then maybe that school will wake up.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

While it is not an ideal situation I came up with this idea. How about a totally new conference
I call it the Empire State conference
Hofstra
SBU
Albany
Siena
Wagner
Iona
Fordham
LIU
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Some nice rivalries built in Albany-Siena
Hofstra- SBU
Wagner- LIU
Iona Fordham
schools close to each other and easy travel.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Fordham is not going to be in a local conference with Wagner, LIU, and Iona. It is academically at a much higher level. I really do not see that mix occurring. Also, with any new conference, the NCAA would not allow the conference into the NCAAT for a few seasons.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Put Binghampton in for Fordham and you are set. All NY schools and there should not be a waiting period. The AAC had no waiting period.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Want a tournament . you can rotate Nassau Coliseum, barclays and the Garden if need be.