NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by HUSID80 »

Are we going down to support this team? The one way to make everyone pay is to win in DC and beyond.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

GW fans are giving us some respect, at least.
http://gwhoops.com/default.aspx?mid=cl1ajupi69
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
stuball888 wrote:I knew it would come back to bite us in the arse. I hope Hofstra administration learns its lesson. Start on your sports promotions now for next year. As with the NCAA and Nit they are all money driven.
It's not just promotion that needs attention. The coaching staff should realize that in order for a CAA team to qualify for the NCAAT, you have to be able to win three games in three days. Our team was not built for that, no matter how valiantly our players competed this season.
Not buying that when it was 73-73, with 1:30 left in overtime in the title game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Is the school going to send a bus down for the students. How will they promote this game or the others when we advance.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

stuball888 wrote:Actually while we have 10,870 on 6,833 are undergraduate. These are the students who get involved in our sports programs. iT IS DOWN ABOUT 15% OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS.
Enrollment is down.

The 5th seed is absolutely bull****. The NIT Committee showed no respect for Hofstra. At all. The coaches and players deserve better.
Yes having the DC game will have better attendance than in Hempstead. But not giving Hofstra a higher seed is just a slap in the Administration's face as well as the Athletics' face.
No at large bid at NCAA. It was a long shot. It seems that the powers that be at the NCAA and NIT are not impressed by Hofstra at all. Hofstra did win the regular season. The CAA was in the top 10 of all conferences. It is obvious that Hofstra got screwed here but what is horrible is that the administration is probably unfazed.

The administration should notice this and say excuse me but we are Hofstra. Turned the program around. Hofstra needs to continue to win, Raise more $$$ for the program and have a better schedule outside the conference.

This CAA for us is just not working as well as it should be for Hofstra. Hofstra really belongs in the A-10.
This is a lesson. Hofstra is not taken seriously. Hofstra needs to take SERIOUS steps to change that. What those steps are who knows.

No local teams schedule us anymore.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I have a good question for the board. If HU was the #2 or #3 seed in the CAAT, and lost in the CAAT final game, do you think HU would be in the NIT? My guess is would be the CIT or CBI once again.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HUSID80 wrote:Did someone say NO FOOTBALL???????
GW did....
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

For those of us who endured 2006, nothing that happened today should come as a surprise. I always knew the NCAA was a business, but I really lost all respect for them after 2006. And it seems that these committees get progressively worse each year. They don't even try to hide the fact it is all about the $$$ at this point. Feel bad for the Bonnies, but we've been there. Tulsa gets in because AD close with a committee member, we've seen that before. Syracuse, Michigan, and Vandy get in over more deserving mids, not just Hofstra.

As for the NIT, not surpised at all we don't have a home game. Again, all about the $$$. We did not draw at all this year. Has nothing to do with how high our team is rated, it's all about attendance. If you recall in '06, we were a 3 seed in the NIT with a 30 RPI. The 1 seed in our bracket was big bad Maryland with a 18-13 record and 60 RPI. We know who really should have been the 1 seed that year.

Bottom line, things will never change for us until we either win our conference tournament a few times and do some damage in the NCAA tourney to build a March madness reputation like a Butler, Wich St & Gonzaga. Or start selling out our arena on a regular basis so the fraudulent NCAA will stop ignoring us.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HofstraHockey wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Did someone say NO FOOTBALL???????
GW did....
Never had it at least in recent history...and can you name a former GW alum in the NFL?
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:
stuball888 wrote:I knew it would come back to bite us in the arse. I hope Hofstra administration learns its lesson. Start on your sports promotions now for next year. As with the NCAA and Nit they are all money driven.
It's not just promotion that needs attention. The coaching staff should realize that in order for a CAA team to qualify for the NCAAT, you have to be able to win three games in three days. Our team was not built for that, no matter how valiantly our players competed this season.
Not buying that when it was 73-73, with 1:30 left in overtime in the title game.

You are stubborn - we scored 41 in lst half and 27 in second. We ran in lst and walked in second. So what if the game was tied - that doesn't change the fact team was tired. Should have heard a slightly better authority than you in Tom Izzo - saying his POY candidate Denzel Valentine was gassed (after Md game) and I need to get him some more rest.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The seeding is ridiculous but they're the best team in their quarter of the bracket. Let's get to msg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Really sucks, but honestly, I don't think with our attendance that we would have hosted a game at home anyway. I always figured we were going to be on the road.

I wish it was a different opponent, but I am excited to watch the game Wednesday. I am only 3 hours from the gym, so if anyone is going down, let me know. I might be down for a little quick trip..
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: You are stubborn - we scored 41 in lst half and 27 in second. We ran in lst and walked in second. So what if the game was tied - that doesn't change the fact team was tired. Should have heard a slightly better authority than you in Tom Izzo - saying his POY candidate Denzel Valentine was gassed (after Md game) and I need to get him some more rest.
What was said was that we "weren't built to win the tournament." That's a ridiculous statement to make when we're in a tie game, 90 seconds from winning the tournament.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here's the schedule: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... en-simmons

No. 4 George Washington vs. No. 5 Hofstra (Wednesday, 8 p.m. ET)
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The bottom line is there is a major problem with the integrity of the NCAA, and it gets worse every year as their events become increasingly commercialized.

When you have the selection committee chairman going on ESPN the day before the teams are revealed, and he starts talking about how one of the major issues the committee faces is trying to make exciting match-ups for the fans, you see that the NCAA's objective is not remotely about getting the 68 most deserving teams in the field.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

The NCAA chases its own tail on the money/integrity issue. Every year interest and attendance for college basketball gets lower, and the result is that the NCAA huddles closer together and deliberately picks matches that they think will spark interest. Look at some of the potential matchups and tell me they aren't shooting for narrative here: Kentucky/Indiana, Notre Dame/Michigan, Syracuse/Dayton, Villanova/Temple. The NCAA is not a meritocracy and doesn't even pretend to be.

Syracuse gets rewarded for being a mediocre team with a big name. 19-13, 9th in ACC play. They aren't good, it's that simple. They got rewarded based on a 'bites of the apple' phenomenon. They went 9-10 in ACC play!! They lost to a terrible St. John's team. Their RPI is 40 spots worse than St. Bonaventure. If Hofstra was in the ACC this year, (and ACC fans would laugh at this but it's true) we'd have a fair shot at being 9-10 ourselves.

The committee will find whatever way they can to justify some teams being in and others being out. Look over the at-large field and pick out a mid-major. Have fun finding one.

Calipari on the subject: "Every member has his own criteria. Is it top fifty wins? Is it road wins? Is it strength of schedule? Is it team efficiency? Who knows?"
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't care if it's about money and attendance, for Monmouth to be a 1 while we are a 5 with a comparable if not better resume is an absolute joke. Monmouth beat name teams, not good teams. They're famous because of their bench. We already beat the resumes to death, so I'm not going into that again. But if they deserve to be a 1, we should at least be a 2 or 3, and not have to travel for the first round. And of course the NCAA put us both in the same bracket, because they don't want two similar mid-majors to both be at MSG. They can't handle that. GW has one of the lower attendance averages in the A10. Yes, they average more than we do, but as I pointed out earlier, for the size of the school and for it being located right in a major city, their attendance figures are actually pretty bad.

As far as Syracuse getting an at-large, I saw a few places that the NCAA basically ignored the games Boeheim didn't coach and they lost. Which is another joke since the NCAA itself banned him from the games because he's a grimy cheater.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

ProudofPride wrote:I don't care if it's about money and attendance, for Monmouth to be a 1 while we are a 5 with a comparable if not better resume is an absolute joke. Monmouth beat name teams, not good teams. They're famous because of their bench. We already beat the resumes to death, so I'm not going into that again. But if they deserve to be a 1, we should at least be a 2 or 3, and not have to travel for the first round. And of course the NCAA put us both in the same bracket, because they don't want two similar mid-majors to both be at MSG. They can't handle that.

As far as Syracuse getting an at-large, I saw a few places that the NCAA basically ignored the games Boeheim didn't coach and they lost. Which is another joke since the NCAA itself banned him from the games because he's a grimy cheater.
FWIW as one of the NCAA's last four out, they were required to make them a 1 seed per their own rules. I can guarantee you if they didnt have them as a last four out they would have gotten a road game as well. For HU, being a 5 seed does not mean you were really far off the bubble it just means, as other stated, they dont believe you can draw a crowd. Based on your draw, though, you guys should be really optimistic. It is a great draw. GW is the toughest game you guys have and youll be as fresh as can be for it. I think you guys would beat Monmouth and then get to face either Ohio State or Florida, both of whom you can beat, which would send you to the final four at MSG. IMO the other half of the bracket is much more imposing than the side you are on. South Carolina is really the only team I think you guys would have a hard time against. Everyone else on your half appears to be beatable by Hofstra. Rally behind your team and support them. They deserve it, even if they deserved a home game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

dan10 wrote: FWIW as one of the NCAA's last four out, they were required to make them a 1 seed per their own rules. I can guarantee you if they didnt have them as a last four out they would have gotten a road game as well. For HU, being a 5 seed does not mean you were really far off the bubble it just means, as other stated, they dont believe you can draw a crowd. Based on your draw, though, you guys should be really optimistic. It is a great draw. GW is the toughest game you guys have and youll be as fresh as can be for it. I think you guys would beat Monmouth and then get to face either Ohio State or Florida, both of whom you can beat, which would send you to the final four at MSG. IMO the other half of the bracket is much more imposing than the side you are on. South Carolina is really the only team I think you guys would have a hard time against. Everyone else on your half appears to be beatable by Hofstra. Rally behind your team and support them. They deserve it, even if they deserved a home game.
That's all very true, good point. And it's at least a somewhat favorable draw geographically as well, considering Ohio State, Akron, Florida, and North Florida are also in the same bracket. It's a lot easier and quicker to get to DC than it is to Florida or Ohio. It's even a short enough distance that the school could send a bus full of students or at least the spirit support teams should they chose to. It's just frustrating because this team deserves more than the hand they were dealt. But at least they get to keep playing.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

If we approach this game with the same intensity as we did in the playoff game last year we will definitely be one and done. JOjo you are right we were not built for 3 games in a row although our guys gave it all they got we did not have any depth or quality of depth. After watching the various conference playoffs over the weekend made me realize once again what a weak roster we had.Next year will be a serious rebuilding year unless we really bring in some quality recruits.