THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Post by stuball888 »

Why is everybody thinking NIT. Doesnt anyone think we have an outside shot at an at large in the NCAAT. We had a #58 RPI going in and a decent SOS. We lost in OT in the championship game. Hofstra is NCAAT material. I am hoping the selection committee has some integrity and chooses a great mid major over a medioacre major team like say LSU.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Stu I wish but we don't have a prayer. In a rational world I suppose one could make the argument, but sadly there's no chance of the committee liking us that much.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Monmouth lost too, they'd probably get an at-large bid before we do even though the MAAC was much worse than the CAA this year.
I don't even know if I'll be able to bring myself to listen to the post-game press conference.

Here's a tweet with the nitty-gritty for four similar teams, Hofstra, Monmouth, Valparaiso, and Wichita State. At least one of the 4 should make it in, it's just a matter of which. Unfortunately most likely not us.
https://twitter.com/gashaheen/status/707038709405851650
Last edited by ProudofPride on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HU is now #85 on the KenPom rankings. There are too many mid-major programs like Monmouth, Wichita State and the A10 teams that do not win their tournament in front of HU. I cannot see a NCAAT at large bid for HU.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

The Shadow wrote:HU is now #85 on the KenPom rankings. There are too many mid-major programs like Monmouth, Wichita State and the A10 teams that do not win their tournament in front of HU. I cannot see a NCAAT at large bid for HU.

Agreed. The team did well as well as the coaching staff. The wound of tonight is still fresh. The last time we went to NCAAT was in March 2001 when President Shuart oversaw the upgrade of Hofstra for basketball and football and the rest of sports. Hofstra basketball dominated the AE. Hofstra finally is having success but the fact is the CAA is a tough conference and Hofstra basketball now holds it own in the CAA. As for the NIT, I would hope Hofstra gets selected. No NIT home game if selected. Hofstra needs to win more and get a better non conference schedule. This year should help that.

The NCAAT is the standard. This team was so close. Hofstra always gets so close. Basketball is the flagship sport now and NCAAT is the standard. The flag is waving higher now but not high enough...(yet). Stony Brook beat Hofstra and SB is going to the AE final. If they go to NCAA, and we are in NIT. Bitterness.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This loss will sting for a very long time. We were the better team for the first 30 minutes and ran out of gas. Very very disheartening. Thought this was finally our year.

As for at large chances.. Do I think we have a shot? No. However I think if you look at the teams on the bubble, HU compares favorably. Also, the committee considers many things besides RPI. Hofstra definitely fits what the committee historically looks for:

1st place regular season finish in 9th ranked conference.
Lost in OT in conference tourney championship.
RPI of 52 is in range with other bubble teams.
Ended season winning 8 in a row before tonight.
Signature wins at St Bonnie's and FSU.
6-4 against RPI top 100

Guys the profile is there. We should definitely be in the conversation. People are talking about Monmouth!

Still don't think we get 1, but stranger things have happened. Hathaway knows everyone on committee. Maybe they repay us for 2006 snub. Hey a guy can dream right? How much more agony can we experience?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraHall, HU should be guaranteed a NIT bid because it was the #1 seed in the CAAT. Automatic bids go to colleges in that situation that do not win their conference tournament.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dooku25 wrote:This loss will sting for a very long time. We were the better team for the first 30 minutes and ran out of gas. Very very disheartening. Thought this was finally our year.

As for at large chances.. Do I think we have a shot? No. However I think if you look at the teams on the bubble, HU compares favorably. Also, the committee considers many things besides RPI. Hofstra definitely fits what the committee historically looks for:

1st place regular season finish in 9th ranked conference.
Lost in OT in conference tourney championship.
RPI of 52 is in range with other bubble teams.
Ended season winning 9 in a row before tonight.
Signature wins at St Bonnie's and FSU.
6-3 against RPI top 100

Guys the profile is there. We should definitely be in the conversation. People are talking about Monmouth!

Still don't think we get 1, but stranger things have happened. Hathaway knows everyone on committee. Maybe they repay us for 2006 snub. Hey a guy can dream right? How much more agony can we experience?
Monmouth was trending nationally on twitter tonight after they lost. That's how much they're being talked about.
And Hathaway is probably even more respected than most, if not all of the people on the committee. He was the head of that committee for a few years. He probably has all the connections he could ever need, especially coming to us from a school basically known as the basketball capital of the country (at least for WBB).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Unfortunately, this was John Starks in the '94 NBA Finals, and that's what it came down to.

He and Juan'ya, two great players in NY, just picked the absolute wrong times to have their worst games.

He went 2/18 in Game 7, Juan'ya 2/16 in the CAA title.

The Koon tech was also REALLY dumb and it ended up hurting them a lot, maybe even cost them the game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Why is everybody thinking NIT. Doesnt anyone think we have an outside shot at an at large in the NCAAT. We had a #58 RPI going in and a decent SOS. We lost in OT in the championship game. Hofstra is NCAAT material. I am hoping the selection committee has some integrity and chooses a great mid major over a medioacre major team like say LSU.
I agree with JAM that they should be in the discussion with an RPI under 60. But I think that ultimately, HU doesn't have enough signature wins and there are also too many cases like the MVC (#4 Northern Iowa steals an at-large from someone else by winning that tourney, when #1 Wichita State will now also go as an at-large instead of the MVC auto qualifier). I'd love to be wrong about this after they were snubbed with a 30 RPI nine years ago for Air Force and Utah State, which were roughly at or higher than HU is right now. That would be a nice make-up call, but I don't see it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Two bright notes that are meaningless at this point, but which might feel a LITTLE better later...

- With 8 assists, Juan'ya is the Hofstra's new all-time single season assist leader, with 233 (beats the old record by 5).
- Gustys' 23 rebounds tonight are a CAA tournament record.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JAM discussed at-large chances with Newsday after the game: http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/h ... 1.11549036

Looks like there's a new experimental rule in the NIT this season - 6 personal fouls. http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... anges-game

JG's postgame tweet:
♨️ ‏@JuanyaGreen
You win, you lose, Can't be more proud of my guys this year and all the success we had. Love my team and Thank you Hofstra! #Bleedblue
https://twitter.com/JuanyaGreen/status/ ... 5891073024
Wags

Post by Wags »

Bottom line, UNCW is a better basketball team.

Hofstra was gutty, gritty and scrappy, and because of that, to their credit, came as close as it did to a title. Maybe even closer than it really should have.

But UNCW is a more athletic, more fluid, more team oriented team. Buie has some of that in him. So we'll see what happens.

These stats make tonight's loss hurt more:
UNCW led for 16:17.
Hofstra led for 26:07.
Wags

Post by Wags »

It would be really cool if some of the media and the fans didn't try to force the same tired narratives that THEY think are always the issues and instead, actually LISTEN to what the TEAM is SAYING for a change.

Fans, media: They were clearly too tired, UNCW's full court pressure must have worn them down. Hofstra's not deep enough and 3 games in 3 days was too much for a team with such a thin bench.

Yet...

Mihalich: "I think their half-court defense was better than their full-court defense. They made it hard to make passes, they made it hard to drive the basketball. It was a physical game, and we were just not as tough as we had to be in the half-court." (he's 100% right about this; W&M did the same, HU just handled it better against them and in the 1st half tonight than they did in the 2nd half and in OT tonight).

Green: "I wouldn't say that... I just wasn’t making shots I usually make." (on the suggestion that UNCW's pressure wore him down and that's why he went 2/16)

Tanskley: "I wasn’t worn down at all. It was just different play calling and different execution... I wasn’t tired at all."
Wags

Post by Wags »

Check out the first minute of the postgame here, as Ingram and Flemmings check the stats and talk about Ponder doing a lot to cause Green to go 2/16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNqycZ ... Scnn6Go-BA
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Just got back from Baltimore. Damn, that hurt. Feel terribly for the team.

Breaking down the game, the bottom line is props to UNCW for getting the job done. Obviously not much separated these two teams, but they hit a few key buckets to close it out. Congrats to their team, they had an excellent year, they deserved to win tonight.

I love the art of basketball. The X's and O's are interesting, the recruiting aspect is fun, the stats are informative, but what always brings me back is just watching the game. Seeing the player take and hit the big shot, watching the player see something in the corner of their eye and make the right pass, just the intangible aspects that make players and teams great. Unfortunately, an unrepresentative picture was painted of our team tonight, and that's what saddens me the most.

Let's make it clear that Juan'ya's performance tonight was not reminiscent of Starks in the Finals at all. I don't know what happened in the last ten minutes of the game, but only one man stepped up and tried to make it happen for us, and that was Juan'ya. Nobody wanted to shoot the ball! The team was playing hot potato with Juan'ya most of the second half, that's just not the basketball that got us this far. Even on the FAN today, Joe emphasized that we needed to take our shots, it just did not happen at the end of the game. No doubt, Juan'ya missed some shots he should have hit, the blown layup being by far the worst, but that is simply not why we lost.

I feel really bummed for DK because he was asked to do, and has done a lot more than he should have for this team, but he had a super rough game. Joe probably should have gone with Wright-Foreman and Buie more late, they looked loose when they were on the court. I respect the idea of going with the guys that have taken you to the end, but DK was hitting the wall in the last 15 minutes, it was unfair to leave him out there, just go with the fresh legs.

Buie was fantastic all tournament, so much poise, so many big plays defensively, he deserves a lot of credit for our success since Malik went down.

Bernardi had a really good first half, but he disappeared offensively in the second, missed some daggers. I really respect his improvement defensively from last year, especially with the minutes we ask him to play, but again, we probably needed to get JWF and Buie more burn over DK and Bernardi late in this game. It's an issue that really should have been more properly addressed after the Indiana State game if we're going to be completely honest.

Rok and Ameen played like champs today, but there was a systemic failure offensively in the last ten minutes of regulation, nobody was to blame, everybody was to blame. Rok with 23 boards tonight? Not even surprised, the guy is a savage.

Overall, the idea that this loss means our season was not validated is shallow. We had two amazing OOC wins, and we won the regular season in the toughest rendition of the CAA to date. We did it with fifth shortest D-I bench in the last decade. It was a tremendous effort by the coaching staff, and a small group of excellent players.

99.99 percent chance the NIT is our landing spot, but of course I will be holding on to the .01 chance until all 68 teams are picked on Sunday. Just very proud of how this team has handled this great season, very disappointed for the players and coaches that it won't end with the NCAA bid.
Polito

Post by Polito »

My thoughts

First, uber proud of this team staff and program. THANK YOU for making this a great year, and for making HU basketball fun and respectable again - this program is a WINNER and it's BACK on the map where it belongs.

Unfortunately too many other top mids have gone down in their tourneys (Monmouth, Wichita St, etc.) and HU has no shot at an at-large. But damn sure do they deserve it. This CONF deserves 2 bids, period, whether it was HU or the W winning tonight. It's really ridiculous, but it's the reality right now. The CAA (UNCW this yr) needs to have another deep NCAAT run to gain more national respect for the league for next year. And the league prob needs 2-3 top teams that stand out, instead of 7-8 literally beating the crap out of each other all year - it's great and annoying at the same time!

To the Hawk fans, damn you are just impossible not to respect lol - seriously, very classy group, they started a thread on THEIR board to honor HU - I mean c'mon, that's just big. And rest assured we will do the same to show respect for the leagues champ. A massive difference from the little napoleons in the 'burg. I'll be pulling for the W to go cinderella!

I still don't think UNCW is that talented, but my goodness are they well-coached, use a very good system and game plan to fit their needs, and they maximize the talent they do have. Keats proved tonight why he's the COY - I love JM, but what that guy has done in 2 yrs, what he did this year with a D2 transfer and a true frosh starting, well it = COY. Props to him.

I really REALLY felt that HU's maturity and experience would pull them through. I still feel HU's starting 5 is the most talented in the league, and they should have won tonight. BUT as I also felt since the Paradise, this team just wasn't built for a 3 in 3 - they can beat nearly anyone on any given night, and I mean in the country - but to take a brutal tourney back-to-back-to-back with 6 guys is just so extremely difficult it's really not worth the headache, nor the heartache.

This staff just needs to learn their lesson, and learn it well. In a league this good, if you want to cut nets, you need DEPTH and DEFENSE. I thought HU really made big improvements in their D the last half of the year. Couldn't do anything about the depth obviously this year, but they have to fix this with the 2016 class. I'll take it this year, some things happened, and I think there has been a LOT of denial about it. Sorry Wags, but there is absolutely NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER that this team was gassed in this game. I don't care what the players say, they are not going to admit that weakness. But it is CLEAR, especially in OT in the 3rd game in 3 days. It is SO painfully obvious that this is an area that MUST be corrected to win championships in this league that it should NEVER EVER happen again.

Keats said exactly that - their conditioning and depth is what carried them through. There is absolutely no denying this anymore. This staff simply needs to fix it. And I'm not knocking them, I think they will. The beauty of a general conf presser is that other non-HU folks can ask those tough questions without fear of any backlash. And they are FAIR questions. JM admitted such. He has continued to win me over with his humility. Depth is a factor, it's not debatable anymore, thank God. I think this pain can be a turning point. I'm very excited about it, because man do I love this staff - never rooted this hard for people, but this entire program really deserves super success. Thanks JM for being a stand-up guy and a mature coach - you are a champion my friend, and I look forward to cheering your continued success and legacy at HU.

The talent is fantastic - now it's time to get more bodies. You need 8 guys to take this league. Do that, with their talent evaluation, player development, and great system, and HU can go dancing as early as next year.

Speaking of, we caught another glimpse of the super future next yr: Buie is on track for stardom, and RG is a BEAST and POY candidate. I know many will knock HU back several pegs with the loss of the seniors - and I hope they do - because they will be a surprise team next year, and I fully expect to be in the top half of the conference. With added depth, they can make another CAAT run. DB is going to be a STUD. RG already is one. BB will be a Sr who even though had a rough finish showed his impact the 1st half of the year. Add in an experienced Robinson, and a starter quality PG Powers off the bench (just like a Nesmith, and can have a similar impact), and you've gone something great brewing.

Alas, this year is not over thankfully - NIT year 3 is a HELLUVA lot better than the last 10 - HU should be a LOCK for an NIT home game and a high seed. They can do damage IF and only IF the team refuses to let this loss define them - they have talent, they can WIN that tourney - at the very least, they can absolutely get to MSG - and that would be much more fitting than this terrible taste.

Tough tough night - my heart really breaks for them - they are such awesome people, top to bottom, player and coach - they have fought so hard, gave it everything they had - I hold my head high and proud, and desire so much for them all - here's to a quick recovery, and going out on a HIGH note with an NIT CHAMPIONSHIP. I know it ain't the dance, believe me it hurts like hell, but they CAN STILL CUT NETS

The foundation has been laid, and the future is bright. GO PRIDE GO
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

This game stings - great game, but hurts - HU is as battle tested, gutty team as i have ever seen - no surprise we were gassed and a three game in three night capped off by an extra 5 minutes was what we all feared as depth was our achilles heel - we lived and died with this all season and I can't complain about what JAM did because his way worked way more times then the few it didn't - these five warriors all shined and carried the team during certain minutes, games and parts of the season - it was a unique group and a unique season - and I think we have some talent to play (although a very different group of players/style) and compete next year - thank boys - hold your heads high - thanks JAM (and staff) we all owe you a bit go gratitude to allow us to critizes you about big games, since you get us into big games as opposed to wondering if we will ever have a team - you turned this program around in a short time and that will never be reelected in the W-L's column - this team deserves an NCAA bid!!!
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Great game and good luck in the NIT. I still think in a one game only situation like in the NCAA tournament Hofstra had the best chance to pull an upset. Hopefully UNCW gets a favorable matchup. My opinion is similar to manys that fatigue certainly played a factor. The last part of the second half saw hofstra with no movement on offense, which is why you had such a long scoring drought. It was not that shots were falling short etc but the movement we have seen all year just stopped and thats when UNCW made a run. It was a lot to ask of your players this season, but they showed they were up to it. I expect a good showing from you guys in the NIT.