Charleston Game - 2/27/16

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Why no thread? Huge game with first place at stake and senior day! Newsday ignored it but I thought we were better than that. We're 8.5 point favs so you know what that means....tight ballgame right to the end.
Let's finish the regular season STRONG!
daHUPride

Re: Charleston Game - 2/27/16

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Why no thread? Huge game with first place at stake and senior day! Newsday ignored it but I thought we were better than that. We're 8.5 point favs so you know what that means....tight ballgame right to the end.
Let's finish the regular season STRONG!
Hear, hear
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thx for kicking it off! I think these Thur Sat turnarounds are tough for fans too!

Newsday didn't have anything for today's game?! The last game of the regular season, 1st conf title on the line, SR day for a couple of key guys who WILL move on to play professionally?!??

Unreal - low class, slap in the face to these awesome young men - that's why I haven't paid for that paper in 15 yrs.

BIG GAME FOLKS!!! Need everyone out supporting and making noise today!! Can witness history today - won't be easy, I think it'll be another battle, so the fellas need us as the 6th man!!

Looking forward to giving the Srs a super regular season send off to the CAAT!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Well said Polito...Newsday did have another feature on a Stony Brook football player....INCREDIBLE!!!!! HOW DO YOU SPELL BIAS???????
PrideFan22

Post by PrideFan22 »

Praying for a good turnout. Amazes me how Newsday doesn't do an article, and very little advertisement as I've seen. Hopefully a good student turnout. I remember not too long ago in Jenkins senior year, two sell out crowds. This team has played the most intense basketball that I've ever seen. Every single game is a nail bitter with an often favorable outcome. This could possibly be a CAA title game, and anything less than a sellout is embarrassing, especially for a Saturday at 4. The student section should easily be full. But who knows, we'll see. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anyways, all of that all generally doesn't matter, as long as we come away with the W. Excited for the game; currently watching UNCW vs Towson and a decently close game. Would love some help from Towson, but the only thing our guys have to focus on is playing the full 40 minutes of basketball regardless of what any other team does. Should be an interesting day of CAA basketball and let's hopefully come away with a regular season title and NIT bid! :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

UNCW is up 4 at the half. I actually hope our team isn't paying any attention to the game, and focusing on their own game instead. CofC gave us fits in our loss to them at Charleston earlier this season, so we can't overlook them at all. Regardless of the UNCW/Towson result, a win is important for momentum going into the CAA tournament.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jerry Beach's senior day blog post. Hard not to be fans of any one the 4 seniors. They're all fantastic people and players.
http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2016 ... their.html
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

uncw is opening up a lead against towson so it looks like they'll have to win this one and get a smidge of help to win the conference.

Hoping to actually make this one on time!
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:uncw is opening up a lead against towson so it looks like they'll have to win this one and get a smidge of help to win the conference.

Hoping to actually make this one on time!
It's basically just win, help likely won't be needed at this point, with the 3-way tie we now have for 3rd:

A Hofstra win + a Northeastern win = a 1 seed for Hofstra
or
A Hofstra win + a Northeastern loss = a 1 seed if Hofstra then has a better RPI than UNCW. But entering today, UNCW, which beat Towson (148 RPI), had a 66 RPI, while Hofstra had a 61. And Charleston RPI is better than Towson's (at 130), so a win over Charleston today should only help Hofstra's RPI vs. UNCW's even if Northeastern (down 49-38 at Drexel right now) loses.

Of course, that would make those two Hofstra wins over Northeastern worth a little less RPI wise, but should still be okay as long as HU wins.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Green just picked up his 4th foul.

Northeastern in the midst of a 15-0 to take the lead of Drexel.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Northeastern, down 1 late, wins, 61-59.

Hofstra, up 63-54, with 4:15 left, closing in on its first CAA title.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Buie is quietly the MVP of this game. A couple big steals and buckets.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Well gents - we got the No 1 seed and will play winner of Elon/Drexel the first game on Saturday (I think its at noon). :D

Great win for the team - very happy for the players and coaches. Onward and upward from this point.

The game was actually kind of messy with lots of fouls called and lots of fouls not called. With all the fouls the game got very slow in the second half. CoC employed the hack a Rok strategy and today it worked. Rok was 3 of 12 - his worst foul shooting game this year (hes not a good FT shooter, but hes better than 3/12). The way this kid works, I bet he takes 500 FT a day between now and next year and gets his % up to around 60%.

PoP - you are correct, DB played really well - a glimpse of next year!! Between DB and DP we are set at the point for next year!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Congrats to the caa regular season champs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra made 6 out of 13 three-pointers. It was Hofstra's fewest three-pointers attempted this season. The last time Hofstra attempted 13 or fewer three-pointers was when Hofstra made 4 out of 12 in an 81-57 win at Drexel on February 15, 2015. That was 37 games ago. http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7007 is the box score. Hofstra had 6 fewer rebounds, 6 fewer blocked shots (Hofstra was credited with 0 although I thought I saw one), 5 more assists, and 5 fewer turnovers. Hofstra shot field goals better and shot free throws slightly worse, with both teams near 60 percent. The attendance was 3,478, which was our highest home attendance since a 59-43 loss to Georgia State with 3,815 fans on February 4, 2012. That was 61 home games ago. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... =400833104 is the Associated Press recap titled "Hofstra claims share of CAA crown with 72-63 win."

Edit: College of Charleston is the fifth opponent I've seen Hofstra play at least twice and the only opponent I've seen Hofstra play at least twice without losing. I've been to 24 games against 18 opponents and Hofstra is 13-11 when I go. My first game was on December 13, 2003, when I was a freshman.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Congrats to Joe and the seniors on a job well done! This year has been a fun one with sky-high expectations and I have faith in Joe and the staff going forward to keep delivering. On to "those three days in March" as coach likes to say.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Great season! The team really came through down the stretch with the pressure on to win the conference. Hopefully all of these close games will help them keep their confidence with all the ups and downs of the CAAT.

This team has been so fun to watch (with a little stress added in). I wish the seniors well when the season is over - some of the best I have seen on this team.

Now let's cut down the nets in Baltimore!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Gustys, Jameel Warney, Rayshaun McGrew, and Ahmad Walker combined to shoot free throws 6-26 (.231). The last three players are on Stony Brook. Stony Brook ended their 16 game home winning streak.

Edit: Vermont beat Stony Brook to end Stony Brook's 16 game home winning streak and knock them down from 44th to 63rd in the RPI. The CAA is down to two Top 50 RPI wins. Fox Sports has Hofstra as a 14 seed before today's games going to Providence to play 3 seed Maryland. Interestingly, November 29, 2003 was the last time Hofstra played Maryland (unless they played more recently and I forgot) and right before that Hofstra played Providence.

Edit again: http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/2/27/men ... 3-win.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Hofstra Clinches CAA Regular Season Title With 72-63 Win." http://www.cofcsports.com/ViewArticle.d ... M_ID=14800 is College of Charleston's recap titled "Cougars Drop 72-63 Decision To Hofstra In Finale." The AP article title said Hofstra won a share of the title and explained the tiebreakers in the article. Worse, College of Charleston's article did not mention that Hofstra won the tiebreaker until you got to a quote from Head Coach Earl Grant.
Wags

Post by Wags »

15 years since the last one. And this one means more because it's the first time ever in tougher league. And they do it with Speedy as a coach.

Just a GREAT, GREAT day for Hofstra Basketball!

But as W&M learned last year, it's only a great DAY, not a great YEAR, until they win on March 7th.

6 straight wins. Might as well make it at least 9.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Green became the first player ever with at least 1,100 points at two schools.