Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by triplec2195 »

Thinking about our transfers so far Estrada is no shocker but to lose freshman Marshall who would have seemed to be the next in line guard to move in to the starting rotation and Manyang without any competition was also in a very good place to get some serious minutes why did both of them transfer??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Thinking about our transfers so far Estrada is no shocker but to lose freshman Marshall who would have seemed to be the next in line guard to move in to the starting rotation and Manyang without any competition was also in a very good place to get some serious minutes why did both of them transfer??
One word, money...let's see where they land, NIL rules.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Manyang could play, very athletic, could step out and hit a three, block shots and rebound...exactly what we needed. Shame he entered the Portal...Maybe he will look around and decide to stay.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:This is very disappointing but like I have said Manyang is an unknown quantity. Nobody has seen him play in a scrimmage or practice other then the powers that be. But without any post players our starting center is Tomasco. Wrap your head around that fellas. If Tyler decides there r better options for him we will really be in big trouble. A below .500 season could be in the making. I'm totally confidant though that this staff will put all the pieces of the puzzle back together for the coming year.
My thought when they lost to UNCW was that there would be a rebuilding phase and a few years before another shot at the NCAAs that good.
The transfer portal can certainly change things quickly but they have to hit on a couple right away.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ouch!!!

The Good Bad and Ugly

GOOD - we better have GOOD recruiters and networkers - it is going to hard to recruit a HS without the expectation that he wont be here long. Hes either going to be good for us and want to leave for a bigger program (= money) or under performer that is going to bail on us to get playing time.

BAD - this is bad for the mid-majors - they are going to compete - as they always have - for the players wanting to play on the big stage - we cant compete with the money (we cant even get enough fans t watch quality -competitive - affordable basketball)

UGLY - the NCAA has a UGLY situation on their hands - and they are behind the learning curve compared to the players - this is the start of an ugly mess - and if it cant be fixed it is going to really suck for the Mid-Majors
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Frankly, I'm a little angry at these kids who are transferring. We invest scholarships, facilities, time and money in these players and they show zero gratitude for the opportunity given them. I know this position is completely old school but I don't care that's the way I view it.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

mikey75 wrote:Frankly, I'm a little angry at these kids who are transferring. We invest scholarships, facilities, time and money in these players and they show zero gratitude for the opportunity given them. I know this position is completely old school but I don't care that's the way I view it.
I hear that, but its like an adult leaving a job for more money and a better opportunity. Im not thrilled to lose these players, but at the end of the day, its the way the world works nowadays. Im more upset with Manyang leaving then Estrada as crazy as that sounds.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I agree on Manyang vs. Estrada. Estrada gave us two great years, Manyang gave us nothing...all he did was get a free ride, good coaching and an opportunity for next year...will be interesting to see where he goes.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Not everybody who enters the portal transfer out. Maybe Manyang will stay.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80 wrote:I agree on Manyang vs. Estrada. Estrada gave us two great years, Manyang gave us nothing...all he did was get a free ride, good coaching and an opportunity for next year...will be interesting to see where he goes.
Estrada is generating interest from major programs:

https://247sports.com/Article/Hofstra-b ... 207870506/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

mikey75 wrote:Frankly, I'm a little angry at these kids who are transferring. We invest scholarships, facilities, time and money in these players and they show zero gratitude for the opportunity given them. I know this position is completely old school but I don't care that's the way I view it.
Starting to feel like the NBA ON A SMALLER SCALE!! Prima donnas over there!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:I agree on Manyang vs. Estrada. Estrada gave us two great years, Manyang gave us nothing...all he did was get a free ride, good coaching and an opportunity for next year...will be interesting to see where he goes.
Totally agree what would prompt a kid who has no resume to transfer. Does he feel he's in over his head?? Lol
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Starting to feel like the NBA ON A SMALLER SCALE!! Prima donnas over there!
So true - Smaller Scale NBA - Prima Donna's.

The NIL - is going to make the PLAYER more of a Prima Donna - I wonder if that student athlete receiving these NIL are going to have to report this "income" are going to have to pay some tuition (by blowing up their FAFSA form) - NOW if I a student paying 100% tuition and my classmate/student-athlete is on full scholarship and get NIL money too - I am - personally if i was the student OR a paying parent - Id be SICK.

The NBA coming to a NCAA College Near You - can 100% see - players dictating rosters for a year (by getting players they want friends/teammates/hired guns (one and done)/AAU buddies) and holding college coaches hostage - for player/playing time /staying and extra year.

I see this a mess - and we are seeing the tip of the iceberg.

From a fans stand point - specifically here at Hofstra - building and expanding a fan base is going to harder then ever. As a season tix holder for +/- 20 years - this years team, brought something kind of special/nice - I had a few guys come with me to games and say they wanted "in" - and becoming NEW season tix holders themselves - NOW I cant see that happening and retaining them as "true" long term tix holders. NO team continuity - never knowing what kind of team you might have, good or bad - building true rivalries - GONE. Going to be tough to expand a fan base.

DARE even say - SPEEDY. I have always said Speedy is almost a perfect coach for us at HU. Local Guy - Alum - Well Liked by Players - Has his Own Bread (from his NBA days)...I said those were reason he'd never leave. NOW - these LOYAL mid-major coaches are going want to/have to move to bigger schools to compete for their own competitive juices.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

These are only kids college students albeit talented kids but when you don't want to play for the college that has been paying your tuition etc. you just put yourself into the transfer portal because maybe there's more $$ out there due to this NLI concept. So isn't this the way now to legalize money under the table, gifts from alumni donors that have been going on since the beginning of time. Now these payouts whether they're in cash or in kind will be legit and the NCAA won't have to initiate investigations and slap some of the BIG offenders on the wrist while they just go thru the motions in reality. It will always be the have and the have nots in sports although the teams with the most money in any sport is not always the team that comes out on top. In college basketball it certainly creates a lot of inequity in terms of getting the best players. They opened up this Pandora's box and this could spin out of control really hurting mid major schools. It remains to be seen. Are these student athletes now still considered to be AMATEURS if they are getting money via NLI??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:These are only kids college students albeit talented kids but when you don't want to play for the college that has been paying your tuition etc. you just put yourself into the transfer portal because maybe there's more $$ out there due to this NLI concept. So isn't this the way now to legalize money under the table, gifts from alumni donors that have been going on since the beginning of time. Now these payouts whether they're in cash or in kind will be legit and the NCAA won't have to initiate investigations and slap some of the BIG offenders on the wrist while they just go thru the motions in reality. It will always be the have and the have nots in sports although the teams with the most money in any sport is not always the team that comes out on top. In college basketball it certainly creates a lot of inequity in terms of getting the best players. They opened up this Pandora's box and this could spin out of control really hurting mid major schools. It remains to be seen. Are these student athletes now still considered to be AMATEURS if they are getting money via NLI??
I would think that any NLI money will be taxable as income (unlike scholarship money). If it is considered income, then I do not think the players should be considered amateurs, as they are generating an income (for themselves) by playing for a particular school. But alas, as usual, the big money from TV contracts controls what goes on. Just like when the Olympics used to be all amateurs. There were not enough people watching on TV, so now Olympic basketball, baseball, and other sports are all (or mostly) pro players. In the end, the big money contracts and NLI will destroy college hoops, just like they did the Olympics. "its a sad day in Mudville, as the mighty NCAA has struck out!"
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Not sure i've ever seen just practice film for a transfer video, but i guess Manyang didn't have anything else to show.

https://twitter.com/CoachMantegna/statu ... 18208?s=20
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We have reached out to 6-11 SO C Nicolas Pavrette from France. He played with NYC's Riverside Hawks in 2021:

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/sta ... 07296?s=20

https://cmuchippewas.com/sports/mens-ba ... rette/4221
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Damn, what could’ve been four years of eligibility left the way he played in practice he didn’t look like a freshman, but more like an upperclassman
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We have contacted Iona FR C Silas Sunday. A 7-footer, he's from the Bronx and played about 5 mpg:

https://twitter.com/recruitszone/status ... 88938?s=20

https://ionagaels.com/sports/mens-baske ... unday/7075

We tried recruiting him last year:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/04/18/ion ... as-sunday/