Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Jojogunne »

Only 6-6. I'd rather see us bring on some bigger forwards.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojo at 6'6 and only playing 20 minutes he's getting 5 boards. Those r nice numbers for those minutes. Maybe he plays bigger then his size.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

https://twitter.com/imtannerthomas/stat ... 44390?s=20

Bring him on in… would be great off bench or potential starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agreed I don't think we had brothers playing here since the Harvey brothers I believe in the 80's? Eric and Lionel from Malverne. This could be a good fit for us.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Would you want him here if he wasn't Tyler's brother?

With WW and NBY leaving, we need more height up front. We just squeaked by Rutgers and lost to Cincy in the lesser tournament. How are we supposed to advance if we ever make it back to the NCAAT?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I would be OK with it as someone who would come off the bench getting minutes but no he obviously would not be replacing Nelson or Williams. Maybe he's just another German Plotnikov so maybe we don't need him. I get the point you're making here.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Jojogunne wrote:Would you want him here if he wasn't Tyler's brother?

With WW and NBY leaving, we need more height up front. We just squeaked by Rutgers and lost to Cincy in the lesser tournament. How are we supposed to advance if we ever make it back to the NCAAT?
Have seen him several times. Answer is def not. Don't need him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jojo gets it. Nothing against that kid, never seen him so no clue, but the point here is HU needs to step up it's game. If he isn't a step up from what we have or have had, then nope.

There are a zillion kids in the portal - I originally was not a fan, but have come to appreciate the positive it brings - and it's great for HU - otherwise HU and mid majors have zero shot today - this incredible MM and FF doesn't happen without transfers. So I want to see Speedy & Co. build a tournament program. And in today's game this can absolutely be done in one year flat. It's been done, is being done, and will continue to be done.

If Speedy wants to be a 'great one', then he'll figure out how to do it too. Starting next year.

P.S. The transfer portal isn't going to kill college sports. It's surprisingly been quite a positive, and I was very skeptical. It's the mishandling and total free for all completely unhinged spree of the NIL that will. And even more, it's the fully corrupt NCAA that will and already is destroying the collegiate game. They will fully ruin it all in the end.
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

I think we all knew this was coming, but still sad to see it officially. Aaron Estrada announced he's entering the portal...

https://twitter.com/Aaron4PF_/status/16 ... 3614467077
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Aaron Estrada has entered the portal. Not surprised BUT disappointed that this team will not be back intact
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Lual Manyang has also entered the Portal...there goes our big guy for next year!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

HUSID80 wrote:Lual Manyang has also entered the Portal...there goes our big guy for next year!

Now that one is surprising. He had a clear path to playing time. Very curious. Unless the staff made it clear to him that he's not in the future plans.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

dutchPride86 wrote:I think we all knew this was coming, but still sad to see it officially. Aaron Estrada announced he's entering the portal...

Not very surprised here - nothing more to prove at the mid-major level, but he can definitely showcase at a P5 school now. I know some didn't think he'd transfer (and go pro), but this makes sense to me
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Pride97 wrote:
dutchPride86 wrote:I think we all knew this was coming, but still sad to see it officially. Aaron Estrada announced he's entering the portal...

Not very surprised here - nothing more to prove at the mid-major level, but he can definitely showcase at a P5 school now. I know some didn't think he'd transfer (and go pro), but this makes sense to me
Fringe NBA players can make more money in college than going the G league route, so it makes plenty of sense. Only top leagues in Europe would compensate at that level either, so that is why you will see some players hang around college as long as possible. (Like an Estrada or Bacot at UNC or Timme from Gonzaga as a few examples)
dutchPride86

Post by dutchPride86 »

dan10 wrote:
Pride97 wrote:

Fringe NBA players can make more money in college than going the G league route, so it makes plenty of sense. Only top leagues in Europe would compensate at that level either, so that is why you will see some players hang around college as long as possible. (Like an Estrada or Bacot at UNC or Timme from Gonzaga as a few examples)

Totally agree. Jameer Nelson Jr just landed at TCU and Timberlake has the likes of Pitino and Unc competing for him. Estrada will land back at a power 5 school and do quite well for himself financially.

Manyang leaving a bit of a shock, but until we see which bigs Speedy grabs in the portal hard to judge the impact. Might explain why Hofstra was rumored to be in on some younger mid major bigs as well as grad transfers like the Princeton kid
mikey75

Post by mikey75 »

Between the transfer rules and NIL mid majors are in a real bind. Very hard to build a team or program. Every year will be a pick up game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hard to keep a team together and develop chemistry. When every year, you are introducing two or three new players to the rotation it will take at least a half a season for players to have their roles defined, and for them to embrace it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

It stinks to see Manyang leave. Big men are hard to find ... and even harder to keep.

According to Newsday, former LI Lutheran PG Andre Curbelo (Illinois, St. John's) has entered the portal. He did well at Illinois (was named the Big Ten’s Sixth Man of the Year and was voted to the Big Ten all-freshman team), but had on-court and off-court problems at SJU.

Meanwhile, Curbelo's SJU teammate, Rafael Pinzon, is heading to Bryant.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So next year, assuming Tyler comes back, we have 4 guards on the roster (TT, JC, DD, GP). Rest of the team has either zero experience or are "practice players".

We have no forwards/centers on the current roster. The effort for coaches to recruit has become a full-time offseason job!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is very disappointing but like I have said Manyang is an unknown quantity. Nobody has seen him play in a scrimmage or practice other then the powers that be. But without any post players our starting center is Tomasco. Wrap your head around that fellas. If Tyler decides there r better options for him we will really be in big trouble. A below .500 season could be in the making. I'm totally confidant though that this staff will put all the pieces of the puzzle back together for the coming year.