MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Cards »

I have to say that I'm glad your not doing our recruiting Zman! Every scouting report put out on JWF highlighted his ability to play above the rim (don't know where you getting your info from).

Regarding RG, if the rest of his career at HU only consists of layups, he will graduate as a 3 time CAA first team player! If you cant see that he has improved by leaps and bounds with his hard work and help from the staff, then I'm sorry Zman, but you're blind as a bat! :shock: I'm sure there must be somebody in the NBA HOF who couldn't shoot from more than 10 ft out (oh wait a minute, I stopped counting after I found 10) :lol: .

RG offensive skills will be even better next year - you can count on it. JM and staff are doing a great job!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

ZMAN3 wrote:Don't see it with JWF - first off 5'10" guys don't play above rim - (we don't even throw lobs to our big guys) His strength is getting out on break - haven't seen anything re his handle to make me feel it's anything special. Buie is a point with long arms, great handle and passing ability (and it better be because Gustys depends on him - can't shoot anything other than a layup) Where's JWF playing ? He's too small for the 2 so he's a backup PG ?
As far as the staff doing anything with those mentioned - they all could play prior - Upshaw never got chance playing behind top player on squad, Nesmith was solid at Monmouth and Koon at Princeton - just progressed exponentially. Certainly like what Gustys has done but he can't shoot - period. What have they done with AW ? Zero - Bernardi - nothing really and Nichols wasn't much better than last year if at all. HU was picked first so... and our "zone" is a joke.
I have to admit ZMan, that's a pretty shitty outlook on the team!

Pemberton looks like a player. I don't know how much he will play next year because Joe does not like to play freshman big minutes, but this kid is certainly the shooter and athlete we're looking for. You have to like the overall development of Joe's recruits since he's gotten here. Rokas should be 1st team CAA! Everyone knows he can't shoot, but damn, how much more of a leap can a guy make from freshman to sophomore year? Do we want Rokas taking the 16 foot jumper anyway?

Buie has been great in my opinion, the guy can run the point. I'm confident with him as the starter next year, put Buie and Powers on the court at the same time, it will be similar to Juan'ya and Deon last year. JWF, while I agree he's definitely best on the fast break, I disagree with his handle, I think it's solid, and I think he's the best athlete on the team, he's going to learn how to get to the hoop, even at his size. Walker has been the major question mark, he's kind of an enigma, he has the talent to be a very good player in the system, but the game has looked too fast for him at times, jury's still out IMO.

I'm really hoping we get Che Bob, I think he can immediately fill the role Nichols leaves. I also agree we need a guy who can fill Koon's role, he's been so much better than I imagined, perhaps another JUCO, Senior transfer can fill that spot.

I like the decisions the coaching staff has made about the players they have brought into the program. Guys that care about getting their degree, players that fit the system, nothing seems forced, which is how you would describe half of Pecora's and Cassara's teams.

I think an NCAAT bid would help us lock up some guys for '16, but also open the door for a very strong '17 class. Joe's just has to keep bringing in the right players, maybe use that bench a little more.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Next year will definitely be a re-building year-a complete disaster-mark my words.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not all gloom and doom Bob. I dont expect Hofstra to be the favorites next year nor will they be a cellar dweller. A lot depends on transfers, JUCO and Grad students to bridge us till the following year. Lets not get too far ahead of us. Powers and Sabety should be nice additions.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Cards wrote:I have to say that I'm glad your not doing our recruiting Zman! Every scouting report put out on JWF highlighted his ability to play above the rim (don't know where you getting your info from).

Regarding RG, if the rest of his career at HU only consists of layups, he will graduate as a 3 time CAA first team player! If you cant see that he has improved by leaps and bounds with his hard work and help from the staff, then I'm sorry Zman, but you're blind as a bat! :shock: I'm sure there must be somebody in the NBA HOF who couldn't shoot from more than 10 ft out (oh wait a minute, I stopped counting after I found 10) :lol: .

RG offensive skills will be even better next year - you can count on it. JM and staff are doing a great job!
I don't go by HS scouting reports - I use my blind as a bat vision (let's keep the personal attacks out of this). JWF has shown nothing - henceforth he's logged 72 minutes on a team crying out for bench support. I have no problem with Buie - I thought I complemented him. Have no problem with Gustys either (I'm definitely impressed) but remember he's living off Green (pick and roll) - hopefully Buie can continue what JG has started. If the staff has done a great job with him - they need to teach him how to shoot. Hope you're not thinking Buie and JWF can play together - could be smallest backcourt in D1. Also you're not thinking RG is an NBA player - are you ? because then you wouldn't be playing with full deck of (Cards)
PS-Walker's development ?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Zman I would love to hear what you had to say about previous teams! I think it's great that you trash virtually every player yet we are in sole possession of second in the CAA with a great chance to win the auto bid and then, were projected as a 5 seed in the NIT! Just think where we would be with a player or two who met your expectations! Buie and JWF were the two premier guards in NYC. They can play...and where did you get the 5-10 height from? JWF is at least 6-0 and can jump with the best. Have you seen his left handed slams in warm ups? He can play and will end up being a double digit scorer for this program.
Polito

Post by Polito »

goodness Z, you are really getting salty as time passes my friend - I mean you've always been rough around the edges, but this stuff is a new level even for you!

well, thanks to this great nation, everyone here is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is :P and most of your perspective is WAY off. But to each his own - and I trust my perspective, because it's right more often than not.

bobe13, I'm pretty convinced you are either a Hen or a Little Napoleon - or you're just going through a REALLY bad time in your life dude - Z is the king skeptic, but you have to be one of the most negative people I've seen around these parts - God bless ya man!

and before either of you tries, no you're not being 'realistic' - you're just being flat out negative - actually, borderline hater. I calls it like it is.

and you can mark MY words: HU will be in the top half of the conf and contend for the conf and post-season again next year. High end top 4, low, top 6. I see UNCW, CofC, JMU, Towson, W&M, NE being in contention as well in another crazy balanced yr due to the graduation again of some key guys among most teams (UD is my dark horse candidate) - but HU is very well positioned - it's going to be another exciting yr of Hofstra hoops next season - looking forward to seeing which of us is right.

Back to the real topic: Che Bob is talented, would be a solid add, not opposed to it, BUT HU really needs a couple of guys in 6'6-6'7 range - WF is the TOP priority

going to be interesting to see who wins the starting PG spot next yr - Powers is a talent, and he's experienced - will be fantastic to have them both, and having either come off the bench is a huge plus - I see no dropoff between the two, and that will be HUGE for this team to feed guys like Bernardi, Robinson, Gustys, and Sabety
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito Z had the same problem with Adrian Uter. He could only shoot layups. Z you are knowledgeable but if you want a rebounder liker Rokas who runs the pick and roll and who can also knock down jumpers, they are playing for Duke, Kansas, Kentucky or UNC.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I am NOT a hater - Complimented Buie - think he can be real good. My comment (if you read it closely) was in reply to how the staff has improved the personnel not a denigration of the team. Who on the team is decidedly better ?(other than Gustys) NOBODY.
JWF is a great athlete - standing next to Buie (including the hair) he is 2" shorter - so either Buie is 6'2" or JWF is 5'10" - wouldn't be the lst player listed at fabricated height or weight. Being able to dunk doesn't mean you are going to translate into solid college player so we'll see - and Buie and JWF should never be in same backcourt TOGETHER.
You guys are a riot - especially Polito - you blow hot and cold like the weather - the only solid supporter day in and out is HUsid. Remember they were picked for lst - I'm not complaining - as I said - don't think the staff has done anything special with the talent -
PS-Stu - Uter was a serviceable player - not Wes Unseld - you are still living in the past. There are also plenty of college kids who can shoot from 10-15' - not playing for the Power 5 conferences (will see one Sunday - Quincy Ford)
Once again - the post was about the staff developing players - not how the team is doing
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Z Quincy Ford not a center . In fact he is more a small forward. Does not rebound anywhere near Rokas. Ford is a better version of Koon.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Don't think Quincy Ford is the best example of a power guy who can stretch out his offense to 10-15 ft. QF has over 50 3-pointers this season. He is a very different type of forward that RG. They are both very good players but have very different games.

I have not noticed any offer for Dembele (I believe HU went to see him a couple of weeks ago). Other schools that scouted him the same night, have made offers. Anybody hear anything? With our bigs entering their junior year next year, we should have a freshman coming in to learn the ropes behind them.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Coach Farrelly in the pregame chalk talk mentioned that the staff has been out in Idaho and West Texas this week, recruiting JUCO players.

I'm assuming that means we were scouting Che Bob again at South Plains CC, perhaps looking at Pape Diatta, 6-7 wing at Southern Idaho. Diatta would be a big score for the program, he's a highly touted international player out of Senegal. 6-7 who grew up playing pg, 35% 3 point percentage, 8.8 rpg this year at Southern Idaho.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Coach Farrelly in the pregame chalk talk mentioned that the staff has been out in Idaho and West Texas this week, recruiting JUCO players.

I'm assuming that means we were scouting Che Bob again at South Plains CC, perhaps looking at Pape Diatta, 6-7 wing at Southern Idaho. Diatta would be a big score for the program, he's a highly touted international player out of Senegal. 6-7 who grew up playing pg, 35% 3 point percentage, 8.8 rpg this year at Southern Idaho.
We are going after Diatta. Would be a great get. Other targets are mostly of the same size and wing guard/forwards
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraFan101 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Coach Farrelly in the pregame chalk talk mentioned that the staff has been out in Idaho and West Texas this week, recruiting JUCO players.

We are going after Diatta. Would be a great get. Other targets are mostly of the same size and wing guard/forwards
Excellent - that is exactly the type of player we need. Good to see the staff is on top of things. Now go get em JM!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I saw a bunch of Baldwin players leaving the game last night. Aren't we recruiting someone from Baldwin?
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes jojo, we offered Jared Rhoden - a 6"6" shooting guard. He is class of 2017 though, so he's not an immediate target. Still good to hear that these types of guys are coming to the games!
Polito

Post by Polito »

yeah baby, LOVE these tips, keep 'em coming!!

Diatta... -> GIMMIE - I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday - exactly what HU needs next year - perfect size and ability to fill the role that is a MUST - his description is that he can't be defined by a position - I'll take 2 please!!

Long and athletic, runs well, has a strong handle and passing ability, can bang with the bigs down low, or step out to hit the 3 - strong rebounder, and plays solid D - from all I see he makes his teammates better

Had a very good hs career in FL first, attracted high major attention, guessing either was a project at that time or grades sent him Juco route first (?) - he starts on a good team in a good conference (teammate is a 4* Bama commit, and rival North Idaho is top 5) - put up 42 pts and 14 boards a couple of weeks ago - do it all kind of guy

In the HU system, he's a likely starter next yr (the 4 spot) and a double-double potential every night out

Land him, mr Che Bob, and another guy in the 6'6-6'7 range, and with EP that's a post-season producing class IMO
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Like your enthusiasm Polito but after following Hofstra BB for over 50 years I have learned (out of necessity) to curb my enthusiasm. Hope all these recruits pan out.
Maybe I will see you at the game later today -I will be in section 102 row D.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Correction-on Sunday LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

sorry I missed you this time bobe, but I'll be there again next Sat - would def be great to meet 8-)

Z, you too - high time I met the "sage" :P