2023 NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: 2023 NIT

Post by Polito »

VT up at half! Go Hokies!

If my dream becomes reality, I can’t lose :) but I would definitely lean toward HU. Have to in that scenario, especially if it’s at home. I would wear an HU hoodie and a white VT hat. Would blend in nicely!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Watching Cincy-VaTech. Two bruising, physical teams. Announcers keep mentioning Hofstra.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: I would wear an HU hoodie and a white VT hat
Weaksauce. Come on, man. Pick one. Might as well just wear a shirt that reads “Go college basketball!” If you’re going to rep both in the same game against each other.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Watching Cincy-VaTech. Two bruising, physical teams. Announcers keep mentioning Hofstra.
Been tight throughout. Been able to stick with it because Arizona State put Nevada away early and it’s been a rout since.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cincy it is. and we get a home game! Tougher matchup though, Bearcats are good on both sides of the ball and they are a big team.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

So are we officially hosting???
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

They said on the broadcast that they are ripping up the Cincy floor starting tomorrow. So hopefully that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Yes, it's true. It'll be at The Mack. Just awaiting the day (Sat and Sun) and time, probably sometime after these last two opening round games are done tonight (Utah Valley at New Mexico, at halftime, and UC-Irvine at Oregon, just started).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cincinnati won 81-72. In addition to rooting for Cincinnati so we would host because I did not read this topic about Virginia Tech being unable to host until now, I did not want to play Virginia Tech because they have Justyn Mutts. In five seasons, his only 30 point game was when he scored 30 in Delaware's 73-71 win at us on January 23, 2020, and we won the regular season and CAA Tournament that season. Mutts shot 14-17, which must be one of the best field goal percentages with that many attempts in the history of the Mack. He led Delaware to a win while Nate Darling scored 11, and he averaged 21.0.

Hosting Cincinnati will make his host two NIT games all-time, with neither in the First Round. I wonder if any other teams have hosted at least two NIT games without hosting in the First Round. We hosted Nebraska when they were in the Big 12, they left the Big 12, and Cincinnati will be in the Big 12 next season.

On another note, Charleston plays San Diego State in the NCAA Tournament tomorrow at 3:10 P.M. on truTV, although it will probably start later because it is the second game of a doubleheader.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:Cincinnati won 81-72. In addition to rooting for Cincinnati so we would host because I did not read this topic about Virginia Tech being unable to host until now, I did not want to play Virginia Tech because they have Justyn Mutts. In five seasons, his only 30 point game was when he scored 30 in Delaware's 73-71 win at us on January 23, 2020, and we won the regular season and CAA Tournament that season. Mutts shot 14-17, which must be one of the best field goal percentages with that many attempts in the history of the Mack. He led Delaware to a win while Nate Darling scored 11, and he averaged 21.0.

Hosting Cincinnati will make his host two NIT games all-time, with neither in the First Round. I wonder if any other teams have hosted at least two NIT games without hosting in the First Round. We hosted Nebraska when they were in the Big 12, they left the Big 12, and Cincinnati will be in the Big 12 next season.

On another note, Charleston plays San Diego State in the NCAA Tournament tomorrow at 3:10 P.M. on truTV, although it will probably start later because it is the second game of a doubleheader.
Didn’t we host Nebraska and ODU in the NIT that year? So should be third home game in NIT
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Cincinnati won 81-72. In addition to rooting for Cincinnati so we would host because I did not read this topic about Virginia Tech being unable to host until now, I did not want to play Virginia Tech because they have Justyn Mutts. In five seasons, his only 30 point game was when he scored 30 in Delaware's 73-71 win at us on January 23, 2020, and we won the regular season and CAA Tournament that season. Mutts shot 14-17, which must be one of the best field goal percentages with that many attempts in the history of the Mack. He led Delaware to a win while Nate Darling scored 11, and he averaged 21.0.

Didn’t we host Nebraska and ODU in the NIT that year? So should be third home game in NIT
Yes, HU did host Nebraska, then won at St. Joe's, then returned home to host ODU. But another home game after Cincinnati isn't a given this year.

In 2006, Hofstra was supposed to be on the road for the quarterfinals had the seeds held, but ODU was a surprise quarterfinal team as a five seed. Hofstra was the three seed, so they hosted that game.

This year, Colorado is the two seed, so if they get to the quarterfinals, assuming nothing is happening to their floor, the circus is not in their building, or any other strange logistical things happening, they would host Hofstra in that potential quarterfinal matchup. However, if it's unseeded Utah Valley - which just now finished upsetting two seed New Mexico on the road - instead of Colorado, then Hofstra could potentially get a quarterfinal home game if they get by Cincinnati.

So Hofstra's part of the bracket is now set for the second round with the top two seeds out:

4 Cincinnati at Hofstra
Utah Valley at 3 Colorado
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cincy @ Hofstra Saturday at 2 pm. Game on ESPN+.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Cincy @ Hofstra Saturday at 2 pm. Game on ESPN+.
I like this. Earlier on Saturday means only one stand-alone NCAAT game at that time, so wouldn't even miss much of that action to see this game at The Mack. Should be a lot of fun and a great environment. Besides playing this one at home, the extra day of rest and much shorter travel between games should help Hofstra.

Here's the rest of the bracket with updated second-round days and times:
https://twitter.com/NITMBB/status/16362 ... 17/photo/1
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awesome time for that game now will Hofstra do the right thing and get bodies in the Mack by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE?? Hopefully a lot of students!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:

Yes, HU did host Nebraska, then won at St. Joe's, then returned home to host ODU. But another home game after Cincinnati isn't a given this year.

In 2006, Hofstra was supposed to be on the road for the quarterfinals had the seeds held, but ODU was a surprise quarterfinal team as a five seed. Hofstra was the three seed, so they hosted that game.

This year, Colorado is the two seed, so if they get to the quarterfinals, assuming nothing is happening to their floor, the circus is not in their building, or any other strange logistical things happening, they would host Hofstra in that potential quarterfinal matchup. However, if it's unseeded Utah Valley - which just now finished upsetting two seed New Mexico on the road - instead of Colorado, then Hofstra could potentially get a quarterfinal home game if they get by Cincinnati.

So Hofstra's part of the bracket is now set for the second round with the top two seeds out:

4 Cincinnati at Hofstra
Utah Valley at 3 Colorado
I was just commenting on EvanJ saying this is our second all time home game in the NIT.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaahhh it was RIGHT THERE!!! Lol man closest I’ve come to that matchup being a reality!

But wow how huge is this for HU, hosting an NIT game against CINCINNATI, the biggest name they’ve ever had at the Mack!

HUGE - what an opportunity for this program. Super time slot, this game will get some attention, and IF HU can pull this off they will be a ‘story’. Despite this being NIT, these are at least big names HU is playing. That is a big boost as far as coverage goes.

I haven’t followed them much lately, but believe the Bearcats are a similar build to HU…? ie whichever team has shots falling seems likely to take this one.

They are also a very good rebounding team, and play physical. HU will need its bench in this one, and every player to fight for the ball all game long. This will be another where these fellas need to leave it all on the floor and protect their house.
PTON_KAT

Post by PTON_KAT »

Evan has noted that HU and Cincinnati have never played each other, but there is a basketball connection linking the two schools. Any old timers remember? I would expect that HUSID80 would know.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:every player to fight for the ball all game long. This will be another where these fellas need to leave it all on the floor and protect their house.
50/50 balls will be huge in a game like this. If HU doesn't get enough of those in their favor, it should be because Cincy's makeup is just more physical, but it shouldn't be for lack of HU going all out off of the type of win they had at Rutgers and with the environment we should see at The Mack (expecting that to be like it was for George Mason, Nebraska and ODU in 2006 and even louder than that with some of the changes they've made since then to boost the acoustics in the building).

Seems like a game in which they may need JC to sneak in amongst the trees while the bigs are battling each other and get 9-10 rebounds as he's done several times this year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

According to Sagarin we should almost be even with the home court advantage. Cincy is 83.11, Hofstra is 79.49, with homecourt advantage at 3.09 points.

Should be a TIGHT game...GO PRIDE!
Last edited by HUSID80 on Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Just got my tickets for Saturday. Trending towards SELLOUT! Lets make it happen!!