Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Cards »

Any names or leads HF101?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wings are absolutely THE need in this class - ideally, WF moreso than WG's, but will take the best possible for either - and I agree JUCO is prob the best route right now considering the need for immediate impact guys - no issue with a 5th yr in there as well as JM and co. have proven their ability to turn those guys into starters - really impressive part of their recruiting and development ability IMO - but at least with JUCO you get the 2 yrs rather than 1...

For the remaining 'ships they should not bring in anyone under 6'5, unless it's a super stud 6'4 guy
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Big guy, currently in prep school at Scotland Performance Institute in Pennsylvania.
Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10
Charlotte head coach Mark Price, NC State, Hofstra, Umbc, Temple, and Penn State are all in tonight for 2016 SPI big man Cheickna Dembele

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 5353057280
Cards

Post by Cards »

I am thrilled we are going after a guy like Dembele........you got to be in it to win it! That being said, he will be really tough to land. He is closely watched by those noted by PoP, in addition to the likes of Georgetown, Pitt, Maryland, and other majors.

Dembele just came to the states this year, he just started playing 4 years ago. The report is he's got NBA type potential....runs like a gazelle, great moves in the low post, hits 17 footers all day long, can shoot the 3, true shot blocker with a nose for the ball. 6'10" 235 lbs (was 210 lbs 6 months ago) and just loves to play ball.

Dembele is from Mali....Isn't Djambo from there?? Coincidence?
HU87

Post by HU87 »

This would be a huge get. Don't want to be a downer, but it looks like the majors are already offering...

"Due to his polished counters moves with his back to the basket and precise touch, it would seem that Dembele is one of the better back to the rim guys still available late in the year, hence his first high-major offer coming from Iowa State following his outing in Rhode Island."
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Nice to see that we are going after highly talented guys but have we recruited one as yet? Nice to see you have a large prospect list but show me closed deals otherwise you are just blowing smoke up are asses.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

bobe13 wrote:Nice to see that we are going after highly talented guys but have we recruited one as yet? Nice to see you have a large prospect list but show me closed deals otherwise you are just blowing smoke up are asses.
Gusts, Walker and Pemberton were and are rated at least 3 stars. I'd say that's pretty good for a mid major over the last couple of years.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with you HUSID80. JM has done a very good job of raising the level of our recruiting, and that includes recruits landed. You can add Buie to the above list as he also is a 3 star.

Building a program with a bunch of 3 star players means that its only a matter of time before a 4 star guy lands at HU. It also means that a lot of 2 star guys who are way underrated or have not reached their potential (like Charles Jenkins, Marcus Thornton, JG) are more likely to choose HU.

I think most on this board are very pleased with JMs recruiting efforts. We all just hope that the team performance this year continues to make HU a desired landing spot for high end recruits. Especially for a nice 6-7 wing :lol:
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Thanks Cards for the Bui add... that four three stars... not bad!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

HUSID80 wrote:
bobe13 wrote:Nice to see that we are going after highly talented guys but have we recruited one as yet? Nice to see you have a large prospect list but show me closed deals otherwise you are just blowing smoke up are asses.
Gusts, Walker and Pemberton were and are rated at least 3 stars. I'd say that's pretty good for a mid major over the last couple of years.
Walker was a 3 star rating? did anyone watch him play before making him an offer?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

bobe13 wrote: Walker was a 3 star rating? did anyone watch him play before making him an offer?
Look at his recruiting page on Rivals. He had offers from several big name schools, including Cincinnati, SMU, Xavier, and Depaul. The whole list is schools interested in him (although the interest level is listed as none, since he committed to us), and all of the schools with check marks are the ones that actually offered him.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/130163

He was a steal for us. He's shown some potential at times in his limited minutes, and he'll only get better.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ok, that's enough out of you bob. I'm all for differing opinions, and I fully appreciate you as a fellow HU fan and brother in arms, but c'mon bud, that kind of foolishness and uneducated nonsense I can't tolerate - you unfortunately just proved you are flat out clueless to recruiting, talent, and player evaluations.

Thankfully other folks got here to educate you first, because my lesson would've been a bit harsher. I have no issue calling out areas that demand improvement, sure you know that, but I'm also lavish in my praise when deserved, and this staff is fantastic on the recruiting trail. They have landed more highly rated talent than any staff in the modern era, maybe ever. In under 3 yrs.

They HAVE recruited highly talented guys - the 3 stars have been noted, as should the fact that they landed 2 high-major capable 3 star bigs in the same class in RG and AW - that has NEVER been done at HU. Ever. Also of note is the fact that this staff has turned 1 yr/transfer guys into impact starters every yr they've been here (like Zeke Upshaw, Dion Nesmith, Denton Koon)

And a guy like RG isn't a huge surprise to those who actually understand and follow recruiting. I didn't expect him so dominant so quickly, but he was a HUGE get as I stated from day 1 - he's a 3 star STARTER from the #1 HS program in the NATION who held multiple high major offers. And AW was well-deserving of his rating, very talented guy, and a rejection FORCE in the paint - he has talent in the college game too, that will be seen as he gets more PT.

And for the future, here's a little taste of EP - make sure you vote for this future member of the HU fam:
https://highschoolslam.com/mens/dunk

This young man is gonna be a problem for the CAA.

You can get on them about rotation and bench use all you want, that's warranted - but recruiting?? Uh, no. Gain some real knowledge first, then talk. Doing it the other way around just looks bad my friend.

Class dismissed.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I like Walker, but If he was so highly rated, why hasn't he played more?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito wrote:Ok, that's enough out of you bob. I'm all for differing opinions, and I fully appreciate you as a fellow HU fan and brother in arms, but c'mon bud, that kind of foolishness and uneducated nonsense I can't tolerate - you unfortunately just proved you are flat out clueless to recruiting, talent, and player evaluations.

Thankfully other folks got here to educate you first, because my lesson would've been a bit harsher. I have no issue calling out areas that demand improvement, sure you know that, but I'm also lavish in my praise when deserved, and this staff is fantastic on the recruiting trail. They have landed more highly rated talent than any staff in the modern era, maybe ever. In under 3 yrs.

They HAVE recruited highly talented guys - the 3 stars have been noted, as should the fact that they landed 2 high-major capable 3 star bigs in the same class in RG and AW - that has NEVER been done at HU. Ever. Also of note is the fact that this staff has turned 1 yr/transfer guys into impact starters every yr they've been here (like Zeke Upshaw, Dion Nesmith, Denton Koon)

And a guy like RG isn't a huge surprise to those who actually understand and follow recruiting. I didn't expect him so dominant so quickly, but he was a HUGE get as I stated from day 1 - he's a 3 star STARTER from the #1 HS program in the NATION who held multiple high major offers. And AW was well-deserving of his rating, very talented guy, and a rejection FORCE in the paint - he has talent in the college game too, that will be seen as he gets more PT.

And for the future, here's a little taste of EP - make sure you vote for this future member of the HU fam:

You can get on them about rotation and bench use all you want, that's warranted - but recruiting?? Uh, no. Gain some real knowledge first, then talk. Doing it the other way around just looks bad my friend.

Class dismissed.
As they say the proof is in the pudding. EP looks great and hope he proves out in Div 1 play. People on this board are saying the CAA is much stronger than the MAAC. This is not the former CAA with Mason,VCU and OD. Now we have college of charlston and Elon? Give me a break. I hope I am proven wrong but do not see us making the big tournament this year and next year will be a re-building year(yes another one) don't get me wrong I hope I am proven wrong but am a realist. Have been waiting many years since our last NCAA appearance.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jojo, c'mon man, seriously? Are you new to sports? Ok, the answer is because not every player translates the way they are expected to, and/or when they are expected to. This is not an AW scenario. That is the scenario for EVERY player in EVERY sport on EVERY level.

We could take the next 10 yrs and not discuss all the 5 star talents across the world that did not pan out. And that's *5 star*. How many heismans tanked in the NFL? I lost count.

But that is not what we're talking about here - this is about recruiting - and when a staff recruits a 3 star kid with high major offers and interest, who puts up strong numbers at a good hs program, sorry, you can' fault them for that, esp at the mid level - that's exactly the level we've been wanting them to recruit at - and they are - and they are LANDING them

I hear ya bob, trust me, it's been a frustrating period. I think we ALL feel that pain. I'm just stepping in on the recruiting topic. And my points stand.

And for the record, JWF is also a 3 star recruit, from ESPN. Take some time and let me know when you can tell me the last basketball staff to land as many 3 star kids in a 3 yr period. I won't hold my breath.

How anyone cannot be jacked about HU's recruiting is crazy to me. The ONLY thing we can ask for right now, is MORE PLAYERS!!! But the quality is looking very strong under this staff. I'm excited to see who else they bring in for '16!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Ok, that's enough out of you bob. I'm all for differing opinions, and I fully appreciate you as a fellow HU fan and brother in arms, but c'mon bud, that kind of foolishness and uneducated nonsense I can't tolerate - you unfortunately just proved you are flat out clueless to recruiting, talent, and player evaluations.

Class dismissed.
Polito - is correct.

JAM and staff have recruited quality, sometimes - like this year I wish we had some more quantity to go with that quality.

They have land 3 graduating seniors - Zeke '14, Nesmith '15 and Koon '16 - that have all provided BIG minutes,
5 transfers that have (will have) given us 10 seasons (once they graduate) - Green, Tanks, BB, Powers and Sabaty.
1 JuCo - Malik - significant minute.
5 High Scool Grads - Gustys, Robinson, AW, Buie and JFW.
and the ONLY transfering or "busts" were Jenkins (Chris-NJ Tech), Djambo and Gonzo (JuCo)

I believe that is a pretty good ratio of recruited talent.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote: And for the record, JWF is also a 3 star recruit, from ESPN. Take some time and let me know when you can tell me the last basketball staff to land as many 3 star kids in a 3 yr period. I won't hold my breath.

How anyone cannot be jacked about HU's recruiting is crazy to me. The ONLY thing we can ask for right now, is MORE PLAYERS!!! But the quality is looking very strong under this staff. I'm excited to see who else they bring in for '16!
Literally every four year player/freshman that has committed since the staff's first year has been ranked 3 stars by at least 1 recruiting website. Walker/Gustys, Buie/JWF, and now EP. That's 5 3-star players in the last 3 recruiting classes. And all of the transfers, JUCO and graduate transfers, have all been immediate impact players that make a difference on the team. We can't ask for anything better than that. Fantastic recruiting all around.

As far as AW not necessarily living up to his 3 stars and high major offers, it's hard to judge in the small amount of playing time he gets. There have been games where he's look great, and others where he's had trouble. Like I mentioned in another thread, he had 6 blocks in his college debut, last year's season opener against Jacksonville. I think we'll find that he looks and plays better as he gets more playing time and gets more confident. He's certainly shown that he has the potential, he just needs to be consistent. It's hard to do that from the bench.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I would rather recruit a one- or two-star player who improves than a three-star player who doesn't.

And Polito, you better take a chill pill before tonight's game vs. W&M. I don't want to have to pull you in from the ledge after another HU loss. : )
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Jojogunne wrote:I would rather recruit a one- or two-star player who improves than a three-star player who doesn't.

And Polito, you better take a chill pill before tonight's game vs. W&M. I don't want to have to pull you in from the ledge after another HU loss. : )
Agree Jojo. By the way hope all is well. Did not go for the season tickets this year, but have attended individual games.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Jojogunne wrote:I would rather recruit a one- or two-star player who improves than a three-star player who doesn't.

Of course you'd rather have a 1 or 2 star who improves than a 3 star who doesn't but you don't know who's going to improve. If it were that easy everyone who just be going for 1 or 2 star recruits who they KNOW will improve