MBB @ JMU - 2/7/16, 3 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: MBB @ JMU - 2/7/16, 3 PM

Post by Dooku25 »

I guess Joe didn't learn his lesson from the last game. When you only play 5 guys in the 2nd half, what do you expect? Tired teams will not execute down the stretch, they also will give up open shot after open shot on defense. Nothing will change until Joe changes the 2nd half rotation. You have to sit each starter a few minutes each half. The starters gave up the 12 point half time lead early in the 2nd half anyway so you might as well have them rested for the final 5 minutes of these games. It's just ridiculous how he uses the bench.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

RollPride15 wrote:Outrebounded them, made our free throws...The difference in this game was shooting and defense. Wags is right, we aren't some kind of exceptional shooting team, we're pretty average. It hurts but it's true. It's kind of redeeming at this point because we're definitely not going to win the conference, we can forget about an NIT bid I think as well, in case our NCAA hopes went south. Use these remaining games to use your bench and improve, Joe, because as you say: It's all going to come down to three days in March.
This is all entirely true. We now have too many losses to even get an at-large bid to the NIT. What's worse is that JAM still is convinced we're some great offensive team, but we're not. He needs to realize ASAP that this isn't the MAAC, and that defense is necessary. This loss also makes it nearly impossible for us to climb back on top.

However, great to see Bernardi finally have a good day from the field.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wonder if Hofstra has ever scored 95 points, had four players score at least 19, had three double-doubles, and lost. Tanksley made only 1 out of his last 9 field goals.
PrideFan22

Post by PrideFan22 »

What I've noticed with this team is that there is a point in the middle of the second half that they always let up and blow any sort of lead that they have and try to make up for it at the last seconds of the games. Many times, they can, but they need to learn that it will not always work like that. Another large problem I've noticed, as we all have, that is very frustrating to watch is the attempt to 3 point shoot themselves out of droughts. This team is a fantastic 3 point shooting team all around, when they are in the lead. When they are not, their strength is driving the lane or dishing it into the paint to Rokas. After gaining the lead back, then they normally excel at the 3's. This team loses when they try to shoot themselves out of droughts. Some games these guys are genuine NCAA contenders, but just aren't consistent throughout the season or throughout each games. I don't really like giving up on this team yet, because we certainly did not finish first in season play last year, and made an impact in March. There's no reason to give up on them because this is our best group of guys that we've seen in a while, and with a few changes can easily make a run in the CAA tourney and any other post season play.
Last edited by PrideFan22 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

STOP !!!!!

Stop already with the substitutions and the rotation you guys would put in-place in your rec leagues! Fatigue plays little or no role here. This is all about execution. Stop it with the minutes played already.

At this point, the goal is to stay out of the Friday night game. If we were a one or a two seed.....would it matter ???
Would we be a prohibitive favorite in a 1-8 or a 2-7 game ? NO.

So tone it down. If you want to bail.....BAIL !
Polito

Post by Polito »

Absolutely PITIFUL

COMPLETE CHOKE JOB on the entire season, buh bye conf title, and you know my stance on the tourney - 15 fing yrs and its going to be one more - not only that NIT blown too - wow, JG and AT get to play in the CIT or CBI - unreal - I hope they turn that bull sh!t down - complete embarrassment for this team to play on those this yr

No excuses, this was a failure of a season.

Congrats to JG for the rare 1k club - honored to have had you here, you played hard this season - it wasn't enough unfortunately, but he's one of the great HU guards even still

BB, so glad to see you get on the right track man, team will need you big time next yr - equally excited to see DB and JWF come into their own

I hope to hell JM finally learns how to win this conf, recruits properly to develop REAL depth, and then understands how to use it properly - really feel for the players, coaching staff blew UNCW game and the season - today icing on the sh!t cake
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

so, don't come to baltimore !
Wags

Post by Wags »

RollPride15 wrote:Outrebounded them, made our free throws...The difference in this game was shooting and defense. Wags is right, we aren't some kind of exceptional shooting team, we're pretty average. It hurts but it's true. It's kind of redeeming at this point because we're definitely not going to win the conference, we can forget about an NIT bid I think as well, in case our NCAA hopes went south. Use these remaining games to use your bench and improve, Joe, because as you say: It's all going to come down to three days in March.
I mean, I wish it weren't true, but I don't know what people have been watching all season. It's and average shooting team. It's like no one, not even the coaching staff nor the players, ever look at the numbers. Or at least ever look at the numbers honestly.

Again today, 39.5% overall, and half of the 76 shots were 3s (while only 34.2% from there). Yet this team continues to stubbornly think it's this amazing 3-point shooting team. JMU shot 49.3% overall, 46.7% from 3.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

"Fatigue plays little to no role here"...I can't say I agree. These guys are gassed, and it shows. Here, I have some numbers for you:

In CAA play, Hofstra is +5.67 in the first half. In the second half, that drops to a measly +.42 and that COUNTS the W&M blowout. Without it, we'd be at -1.83 in the second half. That is an enormous difference in half performance. Twelve games is a hefty enough sample size where you need to start scratching your head and wonder why a dropoff that substantial happens consistently. To me, there are two potential answers. 1. The staff isnt making adjustments 2. The guys are exhausted, which goes back to point #1.

Here are the game by game +/- in case anyone wants to run it themselves.

!st Half, CAA Play: +3, +16, +2, +8, +10, -2, +10, +1, +2, -6, +12, +12
2nd Half: +7, +16, -13, -4, -2, -2, -6, +27, 0, +12, -15, -15
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I don't understand why we wouldn't want our best player to take the last shot in regulation and OT.
PrideFan22

Post by PrideFan22 »

You can't forget that a lack of depth has a large part to do with the injury on Malik and the uncontrollable circumstances with Djambo, redshirting of Jamall, and Jordan Allen leaving. Those 4 players all with height and skill that could give Rokas a few minutes of rest or more height at all times, instead of relying on our inconsistent shooting.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

You only gave two possible responses and you conclude in-keeping with your opinion.

1. Stats don't mean a thing
2. the other team is trying too
3. Maybe they are disproportionately better in the first halves

It doesn't matter.

This team is good. The staff is good.

We will be a force in Baltimore and no one wants to play us !
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

What an epic loss. Two in a row.

It's really insanity to believe there would be a different result today as compared to some of our other collapses. Joe makes no adjustments late, ever. He hasn't all year. This loss is solely on him. If Rok is gassed, and Tank and Bernardi are hucking up bad shots late, pull them. We need defensive stops more than buckets, put some fresh legs in there to get the job done.

It's crazy how we seem to play a lot better in the first half, when we're subbing more frequently. The big difference between the first 32 minutes of the game, and the last 8 is that Joe makes no subs late, to let a guy get recomposed on the bench for a minute. The starters have done a great job this year, but there is a clear quicksand effect in the last minutes of the game, where we cannot get a stop, or make a bucket. I feel like it's as much mental as physical. CHANGE SOMETHING, why the hell not at this point.

10-8 is the likely reality for this team, mostly due to stubbornness in my opinion.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

At this point in the season, we're 2nd overall at scoring offense (80.2), but first in conference-only stats (79.8). Overall, we're 6th in the conference at FG % (.438) and 5th in conference-only (.432). Most astonishing is 3 point figures. Overall we're 5th in 3 PT % (.352) and score 8.8 per game. However, in conference-only, we're .322, which is 9th in the conference. Only Drexel is worse.
This is not a great shooting team, despite what JAM says. These numbers prove that they're just average, at least in the conference. We were supposed to be one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country. Now we're almost the worst in the conference, yet the team keeps chucking them up. We have the best big man in the conference, and we do a lot better when we work the ball inside to him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was the most points Hofstra scored in a loss since a 104-97 loss hosting New Hampshire in the first game of 1994-1995.
richs

Post by richs »

I don't pretend to be a basketball expert by any means but if we are ahead by 3 with very little time left on the clock why not foul and let them get a maximum of 2 point and then get the ball back.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey doright, I know you're a big fan, and I respect everyone here for being true blue, but here's the deal: The excuse making ends right here and now. They wanted the target, they got it, and they failed - PERIOD.

There are expectations here... And THEY set them for goodness sake.

You can sit there and be cool with the choke and some CIT BS, but I'm not. I am not cool with a failed season when they are EXPECTED to win it all, including the CAAT - another yr of NO MEANINGFUL TOURNEY, and you're playing 'tough fan''?

Well then you accept it, thats fine, I don't - This was a terrible collapse in a yr that should have nothing of the sort - There's no way around that. It needs to be OWNED, and people need to take responsibility for it, not make more lame a$$ excuses.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And dutchie, here's another reality check for you:

HU is now a MIDPACK CAA team ... AGAIN.

No one wants to play HU? That can be said about UNCW, JMU, W&M, and 1 or 2 others - so what does that mean? I understand your point, and I agree they are good - but they aint great bud.

How about this, why wouldn't they want to? HU can't hold a lead and doesn't have enough depth - they're also not a strong shooting team.

Oh, and also these things: they can't hold a lead, cant hold a lead, can't hold a lead, AND CAN'T HOLD A FRIGGIN LEAD.

So, to play devils advocate here, if I'm the top 3 teams in the conf, HU is EXACTLY who I want to play, because I actually have depth and can shoot well enough to take advantage of the window HU will UNDOUBTEDLY give to mount a comeback, no matter how big.

You can keep denying, but the facts are SCARY.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I'm as disappointed as anyone and really feel the punch in the gut that we all took as fans the past two games.

However, there is no runaway powerhouse in this conference and if you don't think any team can lose on any given day you are crazy. Things are looking down and I agree I don't feel that they will win 3 in 3 but crazier things have happened.

We all want the best for this team, so why are you guys all killing someone who is trying to stay optimistic (keep it up dutchie). I certainly wish i could do it. Bottom line is the season isn't over yet. If UNCW has a bad few games, this all opens up again.

It hurts that we know what they can be and they aren't showing it. They are not getting blown out. A miss or made shot here and there and they win both of these games. They aren't completely overmatched, they just aren't finishing. It's frustrating, but not impossible that they can win 3 in 3.

I'm generally a pessimist, but reading everything on the board is making me not want to get caught up in all the negativity and hope for the best. It's hard to match all of you who have already let the sky fall. You might as well not watch the rest of the season (though you all will, because as Polito always says we are all big fans and just want them to win).

It's hard to look past what happened, but really what choice is there? I'm going to hold out hope until they are eliminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:I'm as disappointed as anyone and really feel the punch in the gut that we all took as fans the past two games.

However, there is no runaway powerhouse in this conference and if you don't think any team can lose on any given day you are crazy. Things are looking down and I agree I don't feel that they will win 3 in 3 but crazier things have happened.

We all want the best for this team, so why are you guys all killing someone who is trying to stay optimistic (keep it up dutchie). I certainly wish i could do it. Bottom line is the season isn't over yet. If UNCW has a bad few games, this all opens up again.

It hurts that we know what they can be and they aren't showing it. They are not getting blown out. A miss or made shot here and there and they win both of these games. They aren't completely overmatched, they just aren't finishing. It's frustrating, but not impossible that they can win 3 in 3.

I'm generally a pessimist, but reading everything on the board is making me not want to get caught up in all the negativity and hope for the best. It's hard to match all of you who have already let the sky fall. You might as well not watch the rest of the season (though you all will, because as Polito always says we are all big fans and just want them to win).

It's hard to look past what happened, but really what choice is there? I'm going to hold out hope until they are eliminated.
I'm with you. I don't think it's unreasonable to hold out hope. There are a lot of good reasons to not believe this team can cut the nets down in Baltimore, but it's not like they're not competing. They have been right there in 3 of their 4 CAA losses. The difference between them being where they are and where UNCW is right now are a handful of plays over a few games. That's not a team you give up on just yet. Not living up to expectations thus far, but also a far cry from the other HU teams in recent years that had no shot. Some things to clean up. Still time to right the ship and possibly do what at team like NU did last year when they won it all as a 3 seed over a 1.