MBB - LaSalle

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
CyberSam2

Re: MBB - LaSalle

Post by CyberSam2 »

This was a very good WIN particularly because our two star freshmen recruits (Buie and JWF) gave us an opportunity to see that our future backcourt tandem
looks very promising plus we have a commitment from EP a very talented guard from New England who will be attending Hofstra next year.
Two wins against A-Ten (St Bon) also will have a recruitng influence in our favor as players want to select a very promising program like Hofstra.
I find it troubling to say the least that a board member mentions Jimmy Hall of Kent State on this board. Show some respect - Hall was dismissed from HU along with three other players for stealing from HU students. If Kent State was desperate enough to enroll Hall, knowing his record of crime so be it - but mentioning
his name again on HU board is just terrible.
Go Hofstra, Go!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Congrats to Coach Mihalich!

Couldn't have scripted this any better, for him to return to his roots and get his 300th career win at of all places, LaSalle, where he played for four years and later got his college coaching start as an assistant for 17 long years before taking the Niagara job. And do to that with his two main seniors, Green and Tanksley, each from Philly, each returning home. Too bad Green, especially, didn't play well there, back home. But the stars aligned for that trio to go back to LaSalle and Philly and get Coach his 300th win in that game, of all games.

Won't be easy, but a good opportunity now with these past two wins, after putting the disappointing but brief two-game losing streak behind them, to run the table the rest of the calendar year, with a possible win at MSG, a local rivalry win on Stony Brook's floor, and three wins in a row in Hempstead, to take an 8-game winning streak, an 11-2 record overall, including a W in the first CAA game, heading into the 2016 portion of the schedule. Some tricky games in that stretch, but no opponents they can't beat in that stretch, especially with the next 6 games all in NY, including 5 in the immediate area and the last 3 at home. Wanna live up to being the CAA preseason favorite? This is the stretch to set the tone. Close 2015 strong.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ok, I can't believe I'm the one who again needs to bring some level-headedness here, but some of you need this! Sorry to over toot my own horn below, but I did kind of nail this game :D

#1) Please let's all congratulate JM on big win #300!! In his old stomping grounds no less, this was a nice big W
#2) Beating on Bernardi in ANOTHER game where he shines is straight foolishness - this kid is on FIRE, playing like a SR on a mission, and it's not even 'his' team yet - he once again is the primary reason HU wins a big game - did exactly what I said, get open and take shots early to spread out the game - nailed 3 3's in a row in minutes completely setting the tone - also had a beautiful quick cut to the hoop on a sweet assist from Buie - yes, he has issues with the dribble and drive, not his game - but his impact is HUGE and winning games - he's playing EXACTLY how we hoped: absolutely dominant from beyond the arc - I'm proud of the young man, he has improved, plays with passion, and it shows.
#3) As I said, the biggest diff between the 2 teams is that HU has proven it can win without Green scoring (no more questions about next yr - you're seeing it) - nearly every guy on the floor can score, very tough to defend - Green's 'bad' games still produce 10 pts and *8* assists - guy simply makes teammates better, that's his strength - said before, HU is actually better when he's NOT the biggest scorer - this team is dangerous when everyone is involved
#4) HU had a GREAT game plan - there was no way they were going to shut down Price, as I said - please understand this is an NBA guard and only a JR - 1st team A10 in a conf I remind you that includes Dayton, GW, VCU, Davidson, URI, etc. - the KEY was stopping their other 2 scoring options, and HU kept Roberts in check and shut down Shuler - THAT is what kept LaSalle in a deficit - over focusing on Price, who is unstoppable 99% of the time could've lost HU the game
#5) Another game of strong FT shooting?? Man, GIMMIE MORE!!
#6) As I said, Koon had a nice opp to put in a strong game and did so with a double-double
#7) The freshmen are so exciting I am salivating at their future - they need to play more - have said for some time JWF can flat out score from anywhere and in ANY way - Buie looking like the general of the future - add in Elijah and Deron (who I think is going to make a huge impact next yr) and wow...Guard U!
#8) Another A10 win, another road win - not easy as it won't be when you play 7 guys, but this is another solid W - and even sweeter that moron LaSalle fan who cleary knows nothing about college bball is prob in full meltdown mode :P HU was CLEARLY the better team and shoud've won by 10+
#9) Rokas playing with more confidence - not a star yet, but he's adding value - he surprised me with a couple of drives and quick moves to the basket - needs to finish stronger, but good to see that ability

Now, the other side:

1) Losing the big leads is an issue, and it is 100% due to the fact they're playing no bench and exhausting their core legs - that's why this team can beat good teams 1-1, but struggles in a weekend tourney - hope they don't think they're winning the CAAT like that, ain't happening - that requires depth, and the lack of it is the #1 reason why HU has yet to win it - MUST PLAY YOUR ROSTER if you expect to go dancing
2) If I'm Walker I'm gone, maybe before the end of the yr - and I'm beginning to think that's what the staff wants - they clearly don't want to play him, and if that's the case I'm thinking both parties may decide that's best - there is NO WAY a 6'10 guy with talent rides the bench for 2 full yrs happily - at this point I'm ok either way, I trust the staff, I just want it resolved and to be a nonissue
3) The head-scratching plays/mistakes that blow leads: here's the deal, HU has very good players...just not great ones yet - I said this last yr, the talent level still needs to be raised a bit - the guys are settling in and looking good, and this is a good solid club that can win games and even do something special in the CAAT/NCAAT - but the reality is there will still be some mistakes that just make you cringe - IMO that is because they still not quite they true high level guys HU needs

This team has HUGE potential, just needs depth...in the worst way - please please please Djambo, come back and be a PLAYER !!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Wags wrote:Congrats to Coach Mihalich!

Couldn't have scripted this any better, for him to return to his roots and get his 300th career win at of all places, LaSalle, where he played for four years and later got his college coaching start as an assistant for 17 long years before taking the Niagara job. And do to that with his two main seniors, Green and Tanksley, each from Philly, each returning home. Too bad Green, especially, didn't play well there, back home. But the stars aligned for that trio to go back to LaSalle and Philly and get Coach his 300th win in that game, of all games.

Won't be easy, but a good opportunity now with these past two wins, after putting the disappointing but brief two-game losing streak behind them, to run the table the rest of the calendar year, with a possible win at MSG, a local rivalry win on Stony Brook's floor, and three wins in a row in Hempstead, to take an 8-game winning streak, an 11-2 record overall, including a W in the first CAA game, heading into the 2016 portion of the schedule. Some tricky games in that stretch, but no opponents they can't beat in that stretch, especially with the next 6 games all in NY, including 5 in the immediate area and the last 3 at home. Wanna live up to being the CAA preseason favorite? This is the stretch to set the tone. Close 2015 strong.
Some good points about finishing the year strong.

One concern I have is about the 1st CAA game - home vs UD, New Years Eve at 1PM...are they serious about the tipoff time? It's a business day and I'm probably going to have to miss this one...be surprised if we get 1000 to show up.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I’m hoping its fatigue that’s causing these late game problems. But leaving Price wide open to hit a 3, Koon inbounding the ball right to LaSalle and Gustys mauling a guy on a pick at mid court as we were about to run out the clock are not mistakes due to fatigue. And they were all HUGE mistakes.

Believe me, I’m thrilled with the win. They played great almost the entire night. Green had 2 pts in the first half but we put up 44 and led by 13 because he was in total control of the offense, continuously setting up our shooters with open looks. Loved what I saw from JWF, who dare I say has a “Speedy-like” first step. And Buie had his best game as well. We’ll need the young guards in Baltimore and Djambo. This is the biggest key to winning in Baltimore IMO.

And congrats to JAM on win #300. Somebody mentioned Jimmy Hall earlier which reminds me of this.. Not only has JAM turned the program around quickly, but every student athlete he brings in are all class and easy to root for. This was an outstanding hire in many regards.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Does anyone have a way of getting more info on the Djambo situation? Also both Buie and JWF are showing flashes of brilliance...like to see staff continue to get them more quality minutes..Buie has potential to be top PG in CAA by senior year, possibly by JR year....the athletic trio of Buie, JWF, and EP should be fun to watch in coming seasons..EP gives us size 6-4 plus athleticism...
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito wrote:Ok, I can't believe I'm the one who again needs to bring some level-headedness here, but some of you need this! Sorry to over toot my own horn below, but I did kind of nail this game :D

#1) Please let's all congratulate JM on big win #300!! In his old stomping grounds no less, this was a nice big W
#2) Beating on Bernardi in ANOTHER game where he shines is straight foolishness - this kid is on FIRE, playing like a SR on a mission, and it's not even 'his' team yet - he once again is the primary reason HU wins a big game - did exactly what I said, get open and take shots early to spread out the game - nailed 3 3's in a row in minutes completely setting the tone - also had a beautiful quick cut to the hoop on a sweet assist from Buie - yes, he has issues with the dribble and drive, not his game - but his impact is HUGE and winning games - he's playing EXACTLY how we hoped: absolutely dominant from beyond the arc - I'm proud of the young man, he has improved, plays with passion, and it shows.
#3) As I said, the biggest diff between the 2 teams is that HU has proven it can win without Green scoring (no more questions about next yr - you're seeing it) - nearly every guy on the floor can score, very tough to defend - Green's 'bad' games still produce 10 pts and *8* assists - guy simply makes teammates better, that's his strength - said before, HU is actually better when he's NOT the biggest scorer - this team is dangerous when everyone is involved
#4) HU had a GREAT game plan - there was no way they were going to shut down Price, as I said - please understand this is an NBA guard and only a JR - 1st team A10 in a conf I remind you that includes Dayton, GW, VCU, Davidson, URI, etc. - the KEY was stopping their other 2 scoring options, and HU kept Roberts in check and shut down Shuler - THAT is what kept LaSalle in a deficit - over focusing on Price, who is unstoppable 99% of the time could've lost HU the game
#5) Another game of strong FT shooting?? Man, GIMMIE MORE!!
#6) As I said, Koon had a nice opp to put in a strong game and did so with a double-double
#7) The freshmen are so exciting I am salivating at their future - they need to play more - have said for some time JWF can flat out score from anywhere and in ANY way - Buie looking like the general of the future - add in Elijah and Deron (who I think is going to make a huge impact next yr) and wow...Guard U!
#8) Another A10 win, another road win - not easy as it won't be when you play 7 guys, but this is another solid W - and even sweeter that moron LaSalle fan who cleary knows nothing about college bball is prob in full meltdown mode :P HU was CLEARLY the better team and shoud've won by 10+
#9) Rokas playing with more confidence - not a star yet, but he's adding value - he surprised me with a couple of drives and quick moves to the basket - needs to finish stronger, but good to see that ability

Now, the other side:

1) Losing the big leads is an issue, and it is 100% due to the fact they're playing no bench and exhausting their core legs - that's why this team can beat good teams 1-1, but struggles in a weekend tourney - hope they don't think they're winning the CAAT like that, ain't happening - that requires depth, and the lack of it is the #1 reason why HU has yet to win it - MUST PLAY YOUR ROSTER if you expect to go dancing
2) If I'm Walker I'm gone, maybe before the end of the yr - and I'm beginning to think that's what the staff wants - they clearly don't want to play him, and if that's the case I'm thinking both parties may decide that's best - there is NO WAY a 6'10 guy with talent rides the bench for 2 full yrs happily - at this point I'm ok either way, I trust the staff, I just want it resolved and to be a nonissue
3) The head-scratching plays/mistakes that blow leads: here's the deal, HU has very good players...just not great ones yet - I said this last yr, the talent level still needs to be raised a bit - the guys are settling in and looking good, and this is a good solid club that can win games and even do something special in the CAAT/NCAAT - but the reality is there will still be some mistakes that just make you cringe - IMO that is because they still not quite they true high level guys HU needs

This team has HUGE potential, just needs depth...in the worst way - please please please Djambo, come back and be a PLAYER !!
One disagreement with you on Walker. You say he is a 6' 10 guy with talent. You are half right. Have not seen the talent side from him.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We need to keep Walker... we need to get DJambo as well if we are going to make the kind of run we expect to be made this year.

And as for closing games... these kids are not losing their legs at the end of games. That's nonsense. They have just been put in tough situations against VERY athletic teams... and frankly the wrong kids have had the ball many times at the wrong time.... As the team gets more experienced in closing out games we will be better. We cannot put the ball in Koon's and Bernard's hands at the end...I think you will see more of Bui in those situations. That's another area where Robinson would have been helpful this year... closing out games.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually with less than 2 minutes left I want our best free throw shooters out on the court. Bernardi was 8-8 on free throws Green was 6-6 and Koon I believe was 4-4.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu, if they turn it over they can't make free throws....did you see Koon against Indiana St?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So would you like Gustys or Nicoles shooting free throws later in the game. Face it Green will have the ball and when pressured will toss it to either bernardi Koon or tanksley.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

That's not my point...we need to get Buie on the floor late in games to get him ready for the CAA and beyond...our best ball handlers and passers...Koon has had problems inbounding the ball...keep him on the court but don't let him inbound it
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Replace Gustys with Buie and play 4 guards with Koon I am ok with that
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

my opinion is, that we don't have many options the way the roster is being used - using 7 players we only have so many options.

when a team is fouling - of course you want BB, JG, DK and then AT and DB...
however when we are being pressured - I am so unimpressed with BB and DK basketball IQ - they have at times look like CYO basketball players seeing a press for the first time...
that being said - we must have BB and DK in during foul time - BB, DK and JG are virally automatic from the stripe...no choice

walker - I think we all agree that having him on the team is (or should be) important - but not using him seems like JAM is making his decision easy and understandable to leave...
what can they tell him - hey, next year is you year - if they aren't using him now - why would he think they'd use him later???

finally - I do believe that giving DB, JFW and AW a few more minutes per game and taking minutes from the rest of 4 on the roster - JG, BB, AT and K - who are averaging 36 minutes would do this team a world of good...
save the legs of the core 4, give experience to those underutilized 3 and give us a deeper bench