MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by garyg »

Polito...are we recruiting both these guys??
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'd say definitely Rodriguez, and he's a REAL good one, perfect size, athletic, talented, runs well handles well, plays both ends, do it all type guy - 4 star kid, this would be a major impact get

Not sure if they're going after Diagne - I'm sure they WANT to, just a matter of whether HU is a real contender or not - he's a top 50 kid in his class - if somehow HU can work that relationship and get some influence there, he would be a program changer - they are both very good friends, have played together in HS and now in JUCO

I'd say realistically he's a power program guy, so maybe better chance with Rodriquez - originally from NJ - had offers from St. Bonaventure, East Tennessee, Rider, Hofstra, Iona, Quinnipiac and Wagner before JUCO - now has Fordham offer also, not sure of others, BUT I can tell you likely as a by-product of teams watching Diagne he has also gotten interest from 'Cuse, Seton Hall, and even UK (former assistant Orlando Antigua was on him before going to USF) - likely he wants to return north, so hopefully that gives HU a shot here - he's starting and playing well for the #1 JUCO team, and has played well against top competition his whole career

Would be TREMENDOUS to land either, UNREAL literally auto CAA champion/NCAA type deal if they landed them both! But they are both JUCO frosh so I'm guessing it would be for the '17 class...

Which still leaves me wondering who else they are after down there to fill the '16 spots - guess more Sherlock Holmes is needed!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:little side note, I'm wondering if the FL JUCO HU has been frequenting is Northwest Florida State College... they are coached by none other than former HU assistant Steve DeMeo - they also happen to be the '14/'15 JUCO national champs - lot of talent on that team

after some good sleuthing discovered that 6'7 F Jeromy Rodriguez has been an HU target, at least before going JUCO - he and another superstar teammate (former Cuse commit Moustapha Diagne) also played together at Pope John Paul HS, which is where JM landed Jamal Robinson...

Connections all over, and REAL good ones to have.

and if there is a combo - a get of Rodriguez and the red shirting of Robinson ties them up together for 2 years
Polito

Post by Polito »

Dear Coaching Staff:

PLEASE ADDRESS YOUR CLEAR NEED FOR DEPTH, POST PLAY, AND DEFENSIVE STOPPERS.

Thank you,

- EVERY HU MBB FAN ON PLANET EARTH
garyg

Post by garyg »

Polito...why do you not send an email directly to JAM ?? He probably thinks I am the only one that can be critical...LOL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Our Baseball coach John Russo just signed Kyle Young out of Syosset high school. He is a pitcher who is 6ft10. Maybe he can be a two sport athlete at Hofstra.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wow 6-10 pitcher...he sure is going for size! The Randy Johnson of Hofstra!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He is from, Syosset. Funny but his fathers name is Chris. Not that Chris Young who once pitched for the Mets.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

HUSID80 wrote:Wow 6-10 pitcher...he sure is going for size! The Randy Johnson of Hofstra!
As a diehard Mariners fan I appreciate the reference. Also Chris Young who was awesome and pitched for us in '14
Polito

Post by Polito »

Lol you're right gary, I need to and will start this season 8-)

I would really enjoy and appreciate some interaction with the staff, so good call.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Any interaction with coaching staff yet Polito ?? Send JAM one of your long emails with your view on the Hofstra recruiting needs and you will probably get the following reply, "love your passion" or something similar
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Saw on twitter that Hofstra, Fairfield and Rhode Island are recruiting Dimencio Vaughn the hardest. 6'5 Guard 2016..

http://sports.yahoo.com/ccc/basketball/ ... ghn-154574
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aaahhh, excellent scoop Dooku!! I've been wondering about this one, now that he's down in MS it's been a little harder to get a recruiting read on him... GO JM GO! Take this young man ALL DAY LONG.

Kid is a BULL - plays strong, aggressive, high-energy, loves contact, attacks the basket, and plays above the rim - has HOPS and is fierce with it - I'd say a combo of Jenkins and Nichols

Interesting because he's a little different than most of the JM types - this kid plays excellent D for starters - he's the lockdown guy you put on their top guard every game - also the 3 is in his repitoire but not his bread and butter - he is a drive the lane/pullup player - nearly unstoppable in the open floor - give him a few steps and you've already lost - and he will remind you of your loss with a thunderous one-handed highlight level jam

Plays on a top dynasty level program down in MS - native of the BX (Thurgood Marshall) - he was a star there, and is a star down south - plays with, and against, top level D1 talent...and performs every time - doesn't take plays off - seems to be good character and humble hard worker

3 star, yet he is VERY under recruited - perfect for HU - played baseball originally, didn't get serious about hoops until 8th grade - that = high potential for more development - great size too around 200lbs that will handle the bigger guards of both the CAA and OOC P5's - some very nice youtube vids on his plays, you'll enjoy

Competition:
URI: Excellent program growing there, they are on the rise big time - problem is, there are >3< 4* and another 3* ahead of him, on top of their next incomings :shock: ... they are absolutely LOADED - sorry, but he will never see the floor first 2 yrs, and likely be a bench/spark guy - cool, but not the best use of his talent
Fairfield: Not to knock, he's higher level IMO
HU: The perfect and CLEAR choice. Guard-focused system, he will be fed the ball from a STUD PG Buie, have other scoring threats alongside him like EP to open up the court and allow him room to showcase, and I believe he can make an immediate impact in the CAA - he's a potential starter next yr, or at the very least, a big minutes frosh - just like EP, HU will offer him the appropriate shine to get to the next level.

ME LIKE, ME WANT!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just realized he is now prepping at The Masters School in CT! Even better - and he is killing it there too... that makes 3 schools where he's gone and made immediate impacts, all at high levels. Hope EP is all over this and helping to recruit him as a fellow CT prep guy!!

GET THIS YOUNG MAN TO HU!

By the way, EP is a tremendous plug for HU - he is all about the Pride, his instagram and twitter are great - very positive and excited to be coming to HU, and looking forward to shutting up the haters that wonder why he's coming here

Land DV and this could be one of the greatest guard cores ever at HU
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wow Polito after that endorsment I need a cold shower to
cool down.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Very amusing Stu...ha ha ha...

Collectively our backcourt is in good shape for next season:

PG Buie Powers
SG Bernardi JWF EP who can play 3 positions

We really need to add frontcourt difference makers with remaining scholarships. We have 4 scholarships left to offer [could be 5 if Walker decides not to return and at this point why would he??]
Cards

Post by Cards »

Backcourt would be great for a number of years.

Go get a 6'10" or bigger center who can spell Rokas and also score a few (sounds like AW, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards). Likely would need to be a JC transfer. Then go after a 6'8" PF - rebounder and 15 ft and in type scorer. Last missing piece would be a Chuba Ohams type (6'7" inside/outside threat).
garyg

Post by garyg »

Like the way you are thinking Cards...guess hold onto the 4th [and maybe 5th scholarship] scholarship and see what opens up in the transfer market
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Please...we need to be dressing at least 11 serviceable players...these short benches over what seems like the last decade are driving me crazy!
Cards

Post by Cards »

The above wish list gives us Buie, Powers, JWF, Pemba, Bernardi, Vaughn, Jamal R, Rock, Sabety, + the three hopefuls mentioned above. That gives us 12 (not counting AW) or a full 13 scholarships with AW. Then we only get two openings for 2017 (lose Powers and Bernardi).

We can only hope!