Fall Sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Fall Sports

Post by ProudofPride »

Another fantastic day for our fall sports. Volleyball sweeps Charleston, Field Hockey beats Drexel 3-2 in overtime, and Women's soccer beats Drexel 1-0, clinching at least a share of the regular season title. By virtue of W&M tying JMU today, they also get the to seed and earn the right to host the CAA tournament. Have we ever had both soccer teams host the tournament? Field Hockey also earned a spot in the CAA tournament, for the first time since 2012.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Uh… did our men's soccer team even show up against Stony Brook? This is embarrassing…
They lost 0-3, giving SBU their highest ranked win in program history. The good news is that Hofstra is still winning the Battle of Long Island this year, 2-1, with wins in women's soccer and volleyball. The team finishes up the regular season at JMU on Saturday. Since this game does not matter for CAA seeding, I originally thought that it would be a good opportunity to give our starters some rest, but after this loss, we can't afford to risk another loss if we want to keep at-large hopes alive. Hopefully we got all the clunkers out of the way before the real battles start in the CAA tournament!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Well, at least volleyball beat Towson today, a team who swept HU previously this season. Field Hockey was embarrassed by Delaware in the CAA tourney, loosing 8-1. They lost to the hens 4-2 during the regular season. The good news for them is that they should be even better next year. They return almost everyone, including all 3 all-CAA 1st team selections (The Schoen sisters and Claudia Marin-Samper, who lead the CAA by far in almost every offensive stat, including points and points per game, goals and goals per game, and assistants and assists per game. She should've been the player of the year with the numbers she produced. She had 54 total points. The next closest player was also a Hofstra player, Stella Shoen. The player who did get POY, JMU's Taylor West only had 34, and wasn't at the top of any offensive stat except game winning goals, but she was also tied with Claudia for that). I'm looking forward to watching them next season. Women's soccer couldn't figure out JMU's goalie, she made 16 saved. Frederieke Mehring showed her inconsistency yet again and only made 3 saves, and the team lost to JMU. If JMU's goalie can make 16 saves, there's no reason ours struggles to have a handful of saves most games. Mehring now finishes the CAA season dead last in the conference for saves per game and save percentage. Of course it was JMU's best player who made the goal. This team had a great shot at hosting an NCAA game with their RPI being 16, but it's going to drop after this loss. They should still get an at-large though, as it is now down to 22. It's a shame Leah Galton couldn't get a ring her senior year.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

We lost 1-0 on a great goal in double overtime. How is that on our goalie? Stop trying to make reasons to blame her.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

pridehoops2015 wrote:We lost 1-0 on a great goal in double overtime. How is that on our goalie? Stop trying to make reasons to blame her.
I know it was a great goal, I watched it. But it's frustrating that our goalie has unfortunately been so inconsistent this season. Coach Riddiough has even mentioned it several times in the WB Mason Coaches Reports. She has been great some games, and has 4 shutouts, but there have been other games where we only won because of our offense (FDU and Yale). What was frustrating about this game was that our offense was doing all they could, but JMU's stud goalie was having a stellar night. Therefore, we needed our defense to kick in, which it did, considering we only allowed 4 shots on goal. JMU's goalie made 16 saves, and we ended the night only having 3. I personally find it completely unacceptable that our goalie is last in the CAA in both save percentage and total saves. These stats prove the inconsistency. That being said, the loss is still on the entire team, considering they couldn't score after taking over 30 shots, but as I previously mentioned, their RPI is still high enough that I'd be surprised to not see them in the NCAA tournament.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of my school and all of its accomplishments, and therefore I try to support all sports teams as much as I can. When any team has so much potential, I find any loss frustrating.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm considering going to the CAA Men's Soccer Semifinals. Where do you buy tickets and where are the nearest bathrooms to Hofstra Soccer Stadium?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

You buy tickets at the soccer stadium. Bathrooms are in the arena.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

ProudofPride wrote:
pridehoops2015 wrote:We lost 1-0 on a great goal in double overtime. How is that on our goalie? Stop trying to make reasons to blame her.
I know it was a great goal, I watched it. But it's frustrating that our goalie has unfortunately been so inconsistent this season. Coach Riddiough has even mentioned it several times in the WB Mason Coaches Reports. She has been great some games, and has 4 shutouts, but there have been other games where we only won because of our offense (FDU and Yale). What was frustrating about this game was that our offense was doing all they could, but JMU's stud goalie was having a stellar night. Therefore, we needed our defense to kick in, which it did, considering we only allowed 4 shots on goal. JMU's goalie made 16 saves, and we ended the night only having 3. I personally find it completely unacceptable that our goalie is last in the CAA in both save percentage and total saves. These stats prove the inconsistency. That being said, the loss is still on the entire team, considering they couldn't score after taking over 30 shots, but as I previously mentioned, their RPI is still high enough that I'd be surprised to not see them in the NCAA tournament.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of my school and all of its accomplishments, and therefore I try to support all sports teams as much as I can. When any team has so much potential, I find any loss frustrating.
ok i agree she isnt hope solo. but explain where her poor play has actually really cost us this season?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: You buy tickets at the soccer stadium. Bathrooms are in the arena.
Thank you. Normally at games you cannot leave and re-enter. I hope it is simple to use the bathroom during halftime and re-enter.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fCPhLqNV0 has highlights of Hofstra's 2-0 win that I went to last night. Before that I got to see Delaware beat Elon on penalty kicks after it was 2-2 after two overtimes. Hofstra will host Delaware in the Final tomorrow at 2:30 P.M. on SNY.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Women's soccer beats Georgetown in PKs in the first round of the NCAA tournament! They move on to face Rutgers, who they lost to 0-1 earlier in the season.
Risky but smart decision to replace Mehring in goal in favor of Ashley Wilson for the PKs.

Pray that Leah Galton will be ok, she left the game with an injury in the second OT
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

ProudofPride wrote: Risky but smart decision to replace Mehring in goal in favor of Ashley Wilson for the PKs.
mehring was the reason we were even in a position to win. great game by her with some awesome saves. and the move to wilson paid off.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wow! Awesome news Go Pride vs. Rutgers!!!!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Anyone have any info on Leah Galtons injury. Will she be ready to play against Rutgers?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

With a win today, the volleyball team will be co-regular season champions. That would be incredible, considering who they lost to graduation last year and how young the team is. Hofstra is also only 1 of 2 schools that definitely have all 4 fall teams make it to the CAA tournament. JMU is the other, and Delaware still has a chance to get their volleyball team in, which would put all four of their sports in.
CyberSam2

Post by CyberSam2 »

Its absolutely great that today @2:30 that our Men's Soccer team is playing for the CAA Championship.
As a player on the first team (l954) 61 years ago - now residing in Boca Raton, Fl I eagerly follow the team's fortunes and am very pleased to see that under Richard Nuttall leadership HU Soccer is playing in today's important game.
GO PRIDE, GO!!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Watching the men's game on tv, the announcers start off saying they're live from the campus of "The University of Hofstra" :roll:
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Volleyball wins, and is co-regular season champs! It's a 4 way tie at top, with us, JMU (who will be hosting), UNCW, and Towson.
Men's soccer beat Delaware 2-0 and is the CAA champion!

This might be the most successful fall season Hofstra has ever had. All 4 teams make the conference tournament, 2 teams host, and 2 teams to the NCAA tournament with an possibility for 1 more.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great win for the men's soccer team over Delaware 2-0. Congrats to all the players and coaches and good luck in the NCAA's.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The men's team gets to host Lehigh in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
In the CAA tourney, Joseph Holland had a goal that was the number 1 play of the weekend on SportsCenter's top 10. Footage starts at 2:20 of this video. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3e35w ... 5-hd_sport