mike farrelly as head coach

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

mike farrelly as head coach

Post by cactus »

was just revisiting in my head the 20-21 season.
burgess, ray, coburn, cramer, kante - with silverio, green, masic, trueheart, and schutte off the bench.
in hindsight, that was not really a great team.
burgess who had barely played and cramer who had not played at all at the college level both starting - replacing the previous year's leaders in buie and pemberton, and green a true frosh as well.
was expecting to get starter minutes from cowart but that didn't work out (put up underwhelming #'s starting for grambling this year)
farrelly coached in typical mihalich fashion - play fast, lots of 3s, and hope for misses on defense.
yes the lasting memory was the loss to elon but that was at least in the semis after beating delaware, after not playing for 3 weeks. elon came out on fire, and hofstra shot poorly
they had a top-25 win against richmond earlier in the season
considering the covid disruptions and also lack of fans, and being unexpectedly thrust into the job - i think he did a better job than most give him credit for
HofstraMathew

Re: mike farrelly as head coach

Post by HofstraMathew »

It was his first time as a head coach a of course he made mistake. But I don’t think anyone could say he did a bad job considering the circumstances.

That being said I think Hofstra made the correct choice in going with Speedy because at the end of the day it’s about recruiting more than the X’s and O’s (can hire assistants to supplement here). And speedy has the built in advantage of going to Hofstra and then winning a nba championship when it comes to trying to recruit players to essentially follow what he did.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

i didn't want to make this about him vs speedy - he really didn't have a chance given speedy's history with the school if the choice was between the two.
just reflecting on what he did in the one year he was coach. hope he gets another opportunity soon.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This was such a weird year with covid and back to back games. I'm not too interested in replaying it rather would prefer to keep it in the rear view mirror. If u recall for whatever reason Green started over Cramer and he was non existent. He started quite a few games in the beginning of the season and then the coaches came to their senses. Maybe they were being cautious with Cramer who is a far better player overall. Farrelly did a respectable job with what he had and in a lot of games it came down to the J RAY show. Tough to win games with one player doing most of the scoring.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:i didn't want to make this about him vs speedy - he really didn't have a chance given speedy's history with the school if the choice was between the two.
just reflecting on what he did in the one year he was coach. hope he gets another opportunity soon.

Got it. Wasn’t sure the route you were going.

Definitely agree he is a good coach. Obviously learned a lot from Mihalich. I am sure he will get an opportunity at some point. Plus being an assistant at a power 5 school is a pretty solid job.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:i didn't want to make this about him vs speedy - he really didn't have a chance given speedy's history with the school if the choice was between the two.
Mike was solid

I have to believe that - as you said -he'd been JAM replacement for it not be that Speedy was here.

Him going to PSU - able to recruit in Philly for PSU - he is building a solid resume and will get his shot, hopefully soon
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm a big fan of Mike, esp as a person - great dude, and wonderful family. I thought he was a needed breath of fresh air, especially in his openness to the fans. Tough spot for sure, he did an admirable job. But it wasn't meant to be at this time.

Def think he will get another go somewhere down the line. For now, I think he's in a fantastic spot at PSU with Micah Shrewsbury - although the ACC is still a thing for now in hoops, in the college landscape overall the B1G and SEC are the only games in town now as they are fully taking over the P5 world. They are literally changing the entire NCAA, and everyone else is scrambling to not get left in the dust. He is going to get super experience going up against the biggest names in the game, and will coincidentally make powerful connections.

I don't see PSU ever really being a hoops powerhouse, but they are going to be respectable - they've already landed the highest ranked recruiting class in program history in just 1 year.

I wish him all the best, he truly gave HU his all, and hope to see him make his mark on a bigger stage in the future.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes, Mike is a first class person and very good coach...love to see him get another HC job which, I beleive will be soon.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Yes, Mike is a first class person and very good coach...love to see him get another HC job which, I beleive will be soon.
Maybe he would be in line to get the coaching job at Niagara if something should open there. College coaching jobs are very tenuous.