MBB Game 1 - Canisius

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

MBB Game 1 - Canisius

Post by ProudofPride »

The game is supposed to start at 7, but with the women's game against Navy starting at 5, that won't happen. First 1000 students get ugly sweater beanies. There was a pep rally promoting the games in the student center during common hour today, both teams were there along with the coaches, and cheer, dance, and the pep band all performed. It'll be interesting to see how the rule changes affect the teams, particularly the women's team with the game now being 4 quarters.
Here's a season preview for Canisius, I don't know much about the team.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/canis ... e-20151110

WBB game preview: http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/11/10/WB ... 53111.aspx
MBB game preview: http://gohofstra.com/news/2015/11/6/MBB_1106150011.aspx

Coaches Report with JAM, he discusses this game a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRbgAu6S5mg

Media Guides are also posted, both available on this link: http://www.gohofstra.com/sports/2015/9/ ... spx?id=206
Polito

Re: MBB Game 1 - Canisius

Post by Polito »

Ok everyone, let the games begin!!

I like this as an opener, mid-pack MAAC team, solid way to kick off - think the griffs will have decent guard play, but may struggle in the post - we know and expect the HU guard core to be dominant, but this should also be a coming out party for Rokas, Walker, and Koon

Hope this team gets the great fan support it deserves - only a few chances to see them at home until conf play in '16
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I've been waiting for this since Dixon hit that corner 3 to end our season. I think this is our best chance to reach the tournament since the 2006 team. Hard not to get excited when everywhere you read, Hofstra is the CAA pick. Now they have to go out and do it. And finally it starts tomorrow!

I'm really hoping to see big things from Koon. I think he's an important piece. If we get production from him and the 2 young guards, sky's the limit for this team. I'm also hoping for a good crowd tomorrow to set the tone for the season. I think the student turnout from midnight madness will carry over to our home opener. Roll pride!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Hope Hofstra comes out rolling.. So amped for this season.

Roll Pride
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Not gonna lie I'm pretty nervous. Canisius is a solid squad. Could be a trap game.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Here we go! SO pumped for this game and the beginning of this season. Tonight should be a good preview of what's to come, as Canisius isn't a team to completely sleep on.

While we should take this one without too much issue, they do have a few quality guys, like Phil Valenti, who will be a good test. Hoping for a strong turnout tonight!
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is actually a great home opener IMO - perfect type of opponent to kick things off - not a killer, but not weak - not a trap game to me, it's the first game of the yr, big for both and everyone knows it - all focus is on this game so I don't expect anyone to be sleeping on either side

however I do expect our fellas to come out firing - aggressive up and down the floor - in addition to obvious guys, very excited to see the new guys, as well as what level of spark Nichols can bring as a Sr

the things I am very interested in are how the changes will impact, especially the increased focus on what I consider ticky tack fouls (hand checks and all that) - that will challenge Rokas and Andre to be better defenders - the shorter shot clock and 10 seconds to get the ball to half court are great for HU's fast paced / transition play, but does require solid defense on the opposite end

all in all i think HU can score aggressively and in bunches, but will need to see a MUCH better and more consistent effort on D - that to me is the difference between cutting the nets and finishing 5th - we know HU will score, but you need to produce stops at key times to win championships

SO, let's get a new # this yr - #ROLLPRIDE has served us well, but how about these:

#RISINGPRIDE #RISEOFTHEPRIDE #PRIDERISING ??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We're 9.5 point favorites.
And for what it's worth Polito, the men's team has been using #RoarWithPride on twitter for this season. I like your ideas better though!
Hofstra just posted this hype video to youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOpcUxzFYU

It kind of felt like Christmas morning waking up today!
Last edited by ProudofPride on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

As far as our home court advantage, our slogan should be 'the Dutch Oven" if you cant stand the heat get out!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I like that Stu
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I've done a bit of research on Canisius and I have to say I like this as a first-game match up. They're no Jacksonville State. Last year they beat Stony Brook and Iona, and they had a lot of close losses. Jim Baron will bring make sure his team is ready to play. Let's let Rokas go wild on the glass and I hope Juan'ya can get to the line.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Keep in mind their top scorer from last year Zach Lewis, a former Mo Cassara recruit, transferred to UMASS. But agree, Jim Barron is a good coach and this won't be a Jacksonville State type of opponent. I still expect a double digit victory however :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The women start off the season with a 65-63 win over Navy.

Men are starting Green, Bernardi, Tanksley, Koon, and Gustys. Canisius just announced that Jermaine Crumpton is suspended for the first 3 games a little while ago, so now Canisius is down even more height.

Canisius is shooting 71% as they're up 24-9 with 12 minutes left. I didn't think it was possible for our defense to get any worse, but apparently it is. We look awful. Green had 2 turnovers in the first few minutes. No 2 people on our team are the least bit cohesive. Buie had to come in because Green is awful.

Ryan Restivo ‏@ryanarestivo 2m2 minutes ago
To whoever who had Juan'ya Green as their Haggerty favorite, something is off. 3 TO's, 2 fouls 12:20 1st half he sits for Hofstra

7:28 left, we're down 36-18. Malcolm McMillan literally has as many points as our entire team has.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Thank god we moved to 1-3-1, prior to that we looked disastrous. Hopefully we start the second the way we finished the first.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I'm only following the stats. What's the crowd like? It seemed like we did better when Malik was in. I hope Joe plays him more this year.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Much better last 8 minutes, we go on a huge run and are only down 2 at the half. Both freshmen have seen playing time so far.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

We played well when we had Malik, Koon, Gustys, Bernardi and surprisingly Buie. He's not filling up the stat sheet but he's made some smart plays and looks like a great addition to the team.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Rollpride - you can stream the game live on your phone if want to watch via the Hofstra app.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Thanks for the heads-up. Why does Juan'ya take threes? It's the worst part of his offensive game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We should be out rebounding this team by a lot, we actually have a height advantage for once. Instead, Gustys is on the bench with 3 fouls. Now that Canisius is starting to take over the game again, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try something else and put Walker in…