St. John's

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
RollPride15

St. John's

Post by RollPride15 »

St. John's lost by 32 (!!!!) to D-2 St. Thomas Aquinas in a scrimmage last night. They had 28 turnovers. No wonder they won't schedule us! :lol:
ProudofPride

Re: St. John's

Post by ProudofPride »

Goes to show that being a good player doesn't automatically make a person a good coach. Jeff Hathaway realized this when Speedy wanted to be head coach here, and did the right thing by making him an assistant under a veteran coach to learn the ropes first. Hofstra very well could get more (positive) publicity in the media than St. John's this year!
Polito

Post by Polito »

grain of salt, just a scrimmage, but goodness that def doesn't sound good lol

HU should ensure to take full advantage this year and grab some press, because SJU has been working the recruiting world big time and landing some serious talent - I would expect them to start turning things around and be quite good in the coming years... but we'll see - Mullen does have to prove he can build a team and a program once the talent is there.

And 100% the right move with Speedy - completely different world wearing the whistle, and this experience should no doubt help him in a major way when it comes time to take hold of a HC role - perhaps grooming him right into the baton hand-off from JM however long from now!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:grain of salt, just a scrimmage, but goodness that def doesn't sound good lol
Agreed. Kind of reminds me of the '92 Dream Team where Chuck Daly orchestrated a loss during a scrimmage against the USA college team to make the point that you can lose to anybody. Mullin was on that team of course. 32 point loss though? Geez.

But yeah, I do think this is a year where we can make some noise on the local scene. We're going to be an entertaining team to watch, if the frontcourt continues to develop, we should easily win 20 games, maybe 25+ if we learn to play defense. The NBA will be down locally and the new Big East doesn't pull in the people locally like it did. There is a void that can be filled.

Kind of stinks we have no local teams besides Stony Brook on the schedule. It may be our goal to further differentiate ourselves from the local NEC/MAAC teams, which is definitely a good thing, but it was always fun to drive up to Draddy Gym in Riverdale, or watch a game at St. Francis. Best case scenario is to get St. John's on the schedule annually, I can't believe they wouldn't agree to a three home, one away. We play the Johnnies in almost every other sport.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:grain of salt, just a scrimmage, but goodness that def doesn't sound good lol
Agreed. Kind of reminds me of the '92 Dream Team where Chuck Daly orchestrated a loss during a scrimmage against the USA college team to make the point that you can lose to anybody. Mullin was on that team of course. 32 point loss though? Geez.

But yeah, I do think this is a year where we can make some noise on the local scene. We're going to be an entertaining team to watch, if the frontcourt continues to develop, we should easily win 20 games, maybe 25+ if we learn to play defense. The NBA will be down locally and the new Big East doesn't pull in the people locally like it did. There is a void that can be filled.

Kind of stinks we have no local teams besides Stony Brook on the schedule. It may be our goal to further differentiate ourselves from the local NEC/MAAC teams, which is definitely a good thing, but it was always fun to drive up to Draddy Gym in Riverdale, or watch a game at St. Francis. Best case scenario is to get St. John's on the schedule annually, I can't believe they wouldn't agree to a three home, one away. We play the Johnnies in almost every other sport.
I know they don't/won't and maybe can't play each other every year - but come on - Hofstra/Iona/Manhattan/St J/Wagner (maybe)/Albany/Army/Columbia/LIU/Marist/StF (Brooklyn)/Seina/S Brook - but a round robin of 4-5-6 of them each on everyones schedule - rotate them amongst themselves yearly - why not????
Polito

Post by Polito »

The lack of locals playing each other or on HU's schedule has been publicly noted by both JM and Hathaway the last couple of years - they have stated multiple times that the Ionas, Manhattans, etc. are not cooperating at this time - HU is ALL for it and ALL about it - nothing doing with the others

It's frustrating for sure, but at least not HU's fault - I take pride (har har) in that honestly, knowing that our guys want to rumble but it's the others that won't man up

I would love to see HU take the initiative and put together a mid-major mayhem weekend showcase - doesn't even have to be a tourney since some are in the same conferences and would play each other during their conf slate - just put 6-8 teams together each yr and they play 1 off games, Fri Sat Sun - hosted at the Mack - this way there's not a lot of pressure, or negatives win or lose, you just play one other local - but it's part of a full weekend event with bigger media/marketing/money opportunities

Just one thought of I'm sure hundreds of variations - but a local mid major event is really really needed