MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by dutchalum01 »

VCUfan wrote:Just wanted to come in and say congrats on EP! I think he's at least an A-10 level player and he looks like he could be a real force in the CAA. Looking forward to watching him do his thing! Nice pick-up with Green graduating. This kid looks to be a similar player and that's a great thing for the Pride.

Will be following the program with great interest. If the A-10 expands and we can somehow find a way to get Fordham to go to the Patriot League, Hofstra has always been one of my top expansion candidates. Siena thinks they're heir-apparent, but I'm not so sure.

Good luck to you all this season, hoping you guys get the monkey off your backs and go dancing again in March.
Thanks VCU, we appreciate that. Coach has done a great job recruiting - fingers are crossed!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good to have you around VCUfan, appreciate your input - funny, I've been following VCU a lot (relatively of course) since the A10 move - think they are a super model for other mids like HU looking to elevate a program the right way - VCU has done a great job with great people, and it shows in continued success - 1 hit wonders don't impress, but the rams have become and REMAINED nationally relevant for years, and it's my great desire to see HU do something similar

EP was a HUGE get, and quite frankly, he belongs at HU compared to the other programs on his high list - it's a fit, it makes sense, and he can be an absolute star here - he will be welcomed with the biggest open arms from the HU community - the next guard core (so far) of Buie, JWF, and EP looks to be TREMENDOUS - exciting future ahead for HU

For current recruiting, that sounds like multiple trips to FL for the staff for JC guys, very exciting, seems to be some worthwhile action down there for them and I have no problem whatsoever with a couple of impact JC guys to add some experience

The staff seems to have kept these juco names quiet, for the life of me I can't seem to find any hints!! Must..keep..digging!! But wouldn't be a surprise with this staff if the targets are very high quality guys - wings in the 6'5-6'7 range to help offset the losses of Tanksley, Nichols, and others - this staff seems to have locked in on the mid to lower A10-caliber talent, and I think that's right where HU actually should be and needs to be in terms of talent acquisition - I think that's a level they can actually get, and it's also good enough IMO to get to the dance in the CAA on a somewhat regular basis.
garyg

Post by garyg »

With LOI early signing period only 3 weeks away maybe JAM gets 2 JUCO's to go along with EP ? Hopefully JAM is heading to Florida to close a couple of deals...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:With LOI early signing period only 3 weeks away maybe JAM gets 2 JUCO's to go along with EP ? Hopefully JAM is heading to Florida to close a couple of deals...
get them to come for a visit before it gets to cold up here
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraFan101 wrote:Point Guard Dondre Griffin is deciding between us and 5 other schools on Halloween. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go to Western Kentucky and shocked if he comes here but anything is possible. Not sure we're the right fit for him and vice versa tho.
Western Ky is where we lost that Sprewell kid a few years ago (also a Fla JuCo player)...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone have any updates ??? We still have plenty of schollies [4] to offer up
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Dondre Griffin decides at 3:20pm today. Hofstra is one of six on his final list. Doubt he chooses us but it's still something.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Who else is on his final list? Thanks!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Andersjorstad wrote:Dondre Griffin decides at 3:20pm today. Hofstra is one of six on his final list. Doubt he chooses us but it's still something.
Be surprised if it is us. Long shot.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Final list is Hofstra, Murray State, Eastern Kentucky, Appalachian State, James Madison, and Wofford.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I understand Hofstra is recruiting Jamel Allen from Brentwood HS...he is an intriguing prospect....he is listed online at 6-7 and is super athletic...can hit the 3...if he does not sign early he may have a great senior year and get recruited at much higher level come spring time
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Dondre Griffin just committed to Murray State. No real surprise there.
Polito

Post by Polito »

they have a good program, and better than having to deal with him at JMU 8-)

Excellent scoop Gary... kid is definitely intriguing - VERY under the radar, only 1 offer from what I can see from St Peters, and really no other key interest (maybe SBU) - has great size for the position and for HU's need in the class - he seems to have talent and plenty of upside from what I'm reading - lead his team to Glenn Falls, beat some very good teams, big rebounder, can shoot/score...

Interesting - I get that playing at Brentwood doesn't garner a lot of attention, but still only 1 offer for a guy that reads to be talented w/upside, has produced for his team against decent competition, and has the perfect size for his position as a WF/SF seems off - maybe he's a true diamond in the rough ??
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Could this be a premonition of things to come...

http://www.msgvarsity.com/brentwood-s-j ... -1.1584011
Cards

Post by Cards »

hah! he looks good on "the" floor!
garyg

Post by garyg »

You heard it first from the Gman guys...allen has grown about 2 inches in last 18 months and may end up being 6-8 or 6-9...now is the time for Hofstra to gobble him up before he is no longer under the radar
garyg

Post by garyg »

NYC hoops has Allen rated in their top 10 players in NY-Metropolitan area including Westchester County...they had Buie & JWF rated top 10 last year...Allen is just beginning to fulfill his potential...go get him JAM...with Buie, JWF, EP, and Allen you are talking about some GREAT athletes
garyg

Post by garyg »

I did a little more "digging" on Jamel Allen...if it sounds too good to be true it probably is...reason he is being under-recruited is because he has bad grades...will end up at JUCO or prep school
Cards

Post by Cards »

I'm continuing to hold out hope for Ohams. I know its a long shot and he is getting attention from A-10 and higher level schools, but according to Verbal Commits, many of the schools that have offered have no scholarships left (Rhode Island, Providence, Duquesne). I know schools can play with rosters, etc., and that verbal commits is not the 100% end-all reliable site, but as long as JAM is making the effort I am holding out hope.

Does anyone know if we are in fact going hard after Ohams, or is it all window dressing?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Elias Sbiet ‏@Elias_NPH
2016 SG Dylon Gregory (@StatelineHoops / @HoopsCanada) has picked up his first DI offer from Hofstra http://northpolehoops.com/players/dylon ... jeCnfmrQdU … @NorthPoleHoops
https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/661205730838626304